Original v. Cover: Killing Me Softly (With His Song)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
First off, there will be 2 covers listed here, because Roberta Flack did not record the original, and also did not record the most popular version.

I first heard this song done by The Fugees a while ago, and it was the only song from them that I liked. However, I was exposed to Ms. Flack's version shortly after, and was amazed. The original didn't come for a few years, because frankly, not many people knew who did the original. It was by a lady named Lori Lieberman.

The Original:

[YOUTUBE]MGlGJp3IarQ[/YOUTUBE]​

Cover #1 (I can only find a live version...Sadly):

[YOUTUBE]dpNdMIAnKko[/YOUTUBE]​

Cover #2:

[YOUTUBE]7YAEWrnOtrY[/YOUTUBE]​

I am not a fan of Lauryn Hill's at all, but I was a fan of most the work from The Fugees, and I have to give them the edge here. Roberta Flack is the best artist, by far, of the three, and does an outstanding version of the song, and adds a whole new level of soul to it. The original is also not bad, and surprised me a bit.

I think it's simply a song that's hard to do wrong, and The Fugees just happened to figure out the formula to master it.

Questionable ownership of this song. Based off a Liebermann poem but not written by her. Just happens to have been written about one of my favourite singer songwriters in Don McLean.
This is a difficult choice for me because I love Roberta Flacks version (definitely not the live version above) but I also happen to think the Fugees version is fantastic and I'd count Lauren Hill amongst my favourite voices.
I would take the slow Flack version if I could find it but I can't, so I'm calling this a tie.

Though I'm a big fan of Roberta Flack's version of the song, Lauryn Hill and The Fugees really made that song fresh and new for a whole new generation. They made it their song (really Lauryn's song), and it's one of their very best.

Definitely going to have to go with the Fugees version here, I'm a huge fan of the group and this song perfectly combines Lauryn's beautiful voice with Wyclef's random scatting, and the beat is slightly tweaked, but retains all of the groove of the original. Great, great cover, gets my vote here.

The Fugees all the way! Lauryn Hill was amazing, and it's a shame she went crazy after her solo album and has never released another studio album again :(

Roberta Flacks version is nice, but it's just not my thing. The Fugees take a song that most people wouldn't call cool or hip, and were able to make it thoes. A good cover to me is when the people who cover it can make you forget about the original, and this is what Lauryn and the Fugees does. Love the beats aswell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back