• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Original v. Cover: Blue Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
I sense a disturbance in the force...X and I are going to fight big time over this, I can almost sense it...His love of 80's synth pop is almost nauseating, and I can almost guess this is his anthem...The song he listens to as he wears his Buffalo Bill costume in his living room...

Anyway...That was an odd tangent...

As far as the song goes, I don't hate the original, but it's pretty bland in my eyes. It's pretty typical of 80's crap-rock, and doesn't really do anything special. As far as Orgy's version goes, it was also pretty bland compared to what was going on at that time (i.e. Korn, Rammstein), but it was still good. It didn't come across as "just another song", and it was rarely advertised as a cover. They definitely made it their own.

The Original:

The Cover:

As you can see, there's a clear difference between the versions. It's probably going to be an argument based on taste, but either way, Orgy gets my vote...

The more of these threads you post the more disappointed I am in your music taste NSL. :disappointed:

Too bad I can't find a version of the original mix of the song on YouTube though, I've always preferred that to the 1988 remix that you posted. I remember the Orgy cover song being on MTV quite a bit back when I was a kid, and remember really liking it. It wasn't until years later that I discovered New Order through my love of Joy Division, and they quickly shot up my list of favorite bands, and remain there to this day. Blue Monday is their eternal anthem (though not their best song at all IMO), and one that no group could ever match.

New Order wins this, and it's not even fucking close. Orgy couldn't spit-shine New Order's shoes, they couldn't match the talent and skill of New Order on their best day if they tried.

The more of these threads you post the more disappointed I am in your music taste NSL. :disappointed:

Likewise, Sir X, likewise. I don't mind 80's synth pop, but don't treat it like it's God's gift to your ears. Ity's campy, and fun, and that's it. It's certainly not good music.

Too bad I can't find a version of the original mix of the song on YouTube though, I've always preferred that to the 1988 remix that you posted. I remember the Orgy cover song being on MTV quite a bit back when I was a kid, and remember really liking it. It wasn't until years later that I discovered New Order through my love of Joy Division, and they quickly shot up my list of favorite bands, and remain there to this day. Blue Monday is their eternal anthem (though not their best song at all IMO), and one that no group could ever match.

I couldn't find an original, so this will have to do. You can add a "disclaimer" if you want, but it wouldn't really change my opinion. I'm not saying Orgy is great musically, I just think that they're better on this song than New Order. I honestly haven't heard enough of them to make a valid opinion on them as a band though.

New Order wins this, and it's not even fucking close. Orgy couldn't spit-shine New Order's shoes, they couldn't match the talent and skill of New Order on their best day if they tried.

:disappointed: You love Blondie, so I should probably just take anything you say about 80's music with a grain of salt...

Likewise, Sir X, likewise. I don't mind 80's synth pop, but don't treat it like it's God's gift to your ears. Ity's campy, and fun, and that's it. It's certainly not good music.

:lmao:

Says the guy who blares OTEP. Are you really going to criticize New Order as not being "good music"? 'Cause that'd be fucking RIDICULOUS for you to say. New Order is one of the most important musical acts of the last 40 years. 99% of people have no idea who the fuck Orgy is.

I couldn't find an original, so this will have to do. You can add a "disclaimer" if you want, but it wouldn't really change my opinion. I'm not saying Orgy is great musically, I just think that they're better on this song than New Order. I honestly haven't heard enough of them to make a valid opinion on them as a band though.

Well here you go, here's a few songs, all of which are better than anything Orgy has ever produced in their entire career.

:disappointed: You love Blondie, so I should probably just take anything you say about 80's music with a grain of salt...

A) Blondie's first four albums (and their best work) all came out in the 70s. Not an 80s group.

B) You're insulting Blondie now? Have you ever actually listened to Blondie, or did you just hear "Call Me" and say "Oh another 80s one hit wonder new wave group"? Because Blondie were a fantastic group.

I warn you NSL...let's not get into a debate about music my friend :p

:lmao:

Says the guy who blares OTEP. Are you really going to criticize New Order as not being "good music"? 'Cause that'd be fucking RIDICULOUS for you to say. New Order is one of the most important musical acts of the last 40 years. 99% of people have no idea who the fuck Orgy is.

This argument isn't about influence. It's about this song. I prefer Orgy's version. And, "influential" does not always equal "good". As for my tastes, New Order isn't good. I at least find Orgy entertaining.

Well here you go, here's a few songs, all of which are better than anything Orgy has ever produced in their entire career.

videos omitted for time saving reasons

Really? Orgy had some great songs on that album alone. Stitches is by far their best, and Fetisha and Dizzy are both worth listening to.

[qyuote]A) Blondie's first four albums (and their best work) all came out in the 70s. Not an 80s group.[/quote]

I wasn't referring to the time they were around, but if you want to be technical, fine. As a 70's band, they're even worse. They'd be competing against bands like Zeppelin, Floyd, Sabbath, Cream, and others. They might have been good for their genre, but they certainly aren't good when being put against actual competition.

B) You're insulting Blondie now? Have you ever actually listened to Blondie, or did you just hear "Call Me" and say "Oh another 80s one hit wonder new wave group"? Because Blondie were a fantastic group.

I've heard all those songs...I don't like them. My mom was a big fan of her/them, and I just never got into it.

I warn you NSL...let's not get into a debate about music my friend :p

I'm not debating you on music as a whole. I'm just saying your love of 80's (or cheesy 70's music) is a bit loony. :p

Grade 7. Little TM is in his Catholic Private School, and his class is given a project. Make a 5 song playlist of your favourite songs. At this time, the cover version, Blue Monday by Orgy was quite big. So TM decides it will be included on his list. So what does he and his friends do? Searches for "orgy". Yep, that was a big day for us.

I like Blue Monday. My sister before buying the album, bought the single, which included like 6 versions of the song. It was great, loved it to pieces. So I am picking the nostalgia I feel going along with the cover version of the song over the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back