[OFFICIAL] WWE Pay-Per-View Aftermath & Review

(My apologies. My phone has a 2,048 character limit in case anybody wonders why I don't usually go into depth like I want to)

Continued from last post...

Like countless others who loved the Attitude Era (I can only assume this is the point you were getting about how we the disappointed fans are "stuck in 1998-2001"), I didn't complain about the overprotection of Stone Cold Steve Austin namely because he was so massively over, we all wanted to see him come out on top. In fact, the only time I actually noticed how protected he was was when he went up against my #1 favourite of all time The Rock. Now I realize Cena is that guy for this era but the fans are split on this guy and it's not the overwhelming majority that wants to see him always come out on top.

Now back to my actual problem with this PPV. The Nexus is without a shadow of a doubt the biggest thing going in pro-wrestling right now and since they haven't had much time to prove themselves in the ring, they really could've used this big win to show why they deserved to be. This loss definitely came at the cost of a ton of steam they had and will take a lot to ever get back. It seems that in their very 1st attempt Team WWE (read: Team Raw) was able to thwart "the single most dominant group in WWE history." No big twists, no big turns, (though a very nice return of Daniel Bryan Danielson which I can not complain about,) just a loss at the hands of a man who is so invincible that a win does nothing for him at this point.

I think people are missing the fact that the internet wrestling community was worked for this PPV. I don't think the WWE had any intention of turning Cena heel, and all those rumors, including Cena's own tweets, were just red herrings to draw attention away from what they were trying to keep a secret in Bryan Danielson's return. No one even saw it coming because they were talking about Cena turning heel, and discussing other outcomes, where I'm far likely to believe Cena was always going to win the match. Why would they turn him heel, after all? It would've made absolutely no logical sense. It would make NO SENSE for him to join the Nexus.

Aside from that the PPV was quite effective and was good. The opening match was some solid wrestling and the ending made perfect sense. Not only did the Nexus come out to reaffirm their dominance after the ending of RAW last week, but it also gave them more heat from the crowd going into the main event. That was perfectly booked.

The Diva's match brought an ending to the Melina/Alicia feud, it put the title on Melina who can carry it far better then Alicia, and it also started an interesting angle that could lead to either an interpromotional feud or even a unification of the Women's titles. It was an average match but it also had meaning.

I don't see anything wrong with the 3 on 1 match. Big Show looked extremely strong in victory, and CM Punk still saved face and wasn't beaten. Seems to me people want the sun and the moon given to them, but there was nothing at all wrong with this match.

Both title matches were good and the way they were booked was very effective. Kane looked incredibly strong, Undertaker returned, and the feud with Mysterio for the championship was ended. People may have wanted to see Randy Orton win, but clearly the WWE didn't want the title on him now and this was a good way of keeping the title on Sheamus and still keeping Orton strong. Some people may not like the ending but the match was quite good!

And the main event was great. I don't see how we saw super Cena when he was barely in the match for a lot of it up until the ending. Sure it would've been nice to see Barrett win, but Cena certainly didn't dominate the whole match and beat Nexus on his own. In fact, I think this match really showcased the Nexus wrestlers well and they all came across looking strong both as a unit and individually. I mean, look at Sheffield! He looked like a monster, even in defeat. The Danielson return was AWESOooME and I'm looking forward to his feud with the Miz and him taking the title, hopefully.

People seem to be forgetting that these were a group of "rookies" on NXT, and in a matter of months they've become a dominant force and they headlined a PPV and looked entirely credible competing with some of the top stars in the WWE. They could've just as easily won that match, it was competitive and the Nexus looked strong, so I don't see how the booking of this whole angle or this match was bad. That fact people wanted and expected Nexus to win says a LOT!

Oh, and we still have to look forward to Nexus continuing on and their higher purpose being revealed. I'm really leaning towards it either having something to do with Triple H or better yet, having something to do with the Miz. I think the Miz would be a great way to go, really.

Good PPV!

I had a long analysis about the PPV, but lost it because I apparently took too long and the site logged me off. Ugh. So instead, I'll just keep it short and sweet.

The PPV turned out to be pretty good. Not as good as MITB, but most of the storylines proceeded as planned it seemed.

The main event is where it gets crazy. It was booked rather well until the finish. I don't care that Nexus lost. It's more of how. Granted Cena didn't take them ALL down, but winning after getting a beatdown from Edge/Jericho AND taking a DDT to concrete is rather ludicrous. The "nervous tweet" he posted earlier didn't help, as everyone assumed he was talking about turning heel or something big. As it stands, it ended up being the same old shit with Invincible Cena.

Still, I am curious as to how they're going to salvage Nexus' momentum after this. It seems a little premature to end the program now. And Danielson got a huge pop when he came back. I'm curious as to where he is in the hierarchy of things. Midcard? Upper Midcard? And I'm wondering if they pulled the trigger on a full on heel turn for Cole.

All in all, it was a good, if somewhat anticlimatic, PPV.

If Cena was just going to get the simple Win over the Nexus in the 7 Man Tag, then the World Title Match with Undertaker's Return should of took the Main Event Spot.

Yes, but WWE was making the decisions as the whole PPV was happening. They made their decisions last minute, like the always do.

Because this Match took the top Spot on the PPV, I was expecting a lot more to come from it. It was far too early for the Nexus to be beaten. They could of dragged it out a lot further by having a Heel Twist and a Nexus win, the same way they did at Invasion 2001. It's not that I don't agree with the finish, it's just because it took the Main Event Spot I expected a lot more to come from it.

Hey, I expected a twist too. But, I'm still happy with the ending. It's perfect for Cena's gimmick.

Sooner or later they will need to turn him Heel

Yes, Cena will turn heel, eventually. Maybe sometime this year or next year. Or until they build a younger star more. Like The Miz.

Eventually, the longer they drag it out, the more clearer it will be that Cena will be turning Heel, and eventually, we will be able to name the exact place and time for his Turn, which will probably take away most of the Shock factor from it.

I agree. It will be. I'm not saying that Cena shouldn't turn heel because I like him face, it's just because it didn't really make sense for that to happen at Summerslam. Just because he's still a cash cow.

I suppose Summerslam was the start of Cena's path to turning Heel.

Maybe...maybe not. Who knows?

I hear what you are saying, but it wont be half as effective now as it was before Summerslam when they go around giving there beatdowns. They can't say they are the most dominant force in the WWE, now they have been beaten.

But, they can still pick on 1 person. Or, they could move on to SD?

Rey, like Cena, is profitable, and they wouldn't gain much from turning him Heel at all.

Rey, is a cash cow, yes. But, not bigger than Cena...if people start buying more Orton merchandise, then Rey can still turn heel. I just don't want to see another Kane/Taker feud, that's all. I actually don't mind that much, though.

Let's see...

Match #1: Dolph Ziggler vs. Kofi Kingston - Intercontinental Title
I was looking forward to this match, but was greatly disappointed. The wrestling was definitely not pay-per-view quality and there was no reason for Nexus to be out there. It could be argued that Nexus attacked Kofi because he could have been #7 on Team WWE, but I don't buy it. The ending ruined what could have been a good opener and rendered the match pointless. Result: NO-CONTEST; therefore, it earns a 4/10 and that's being generous.

Match #2: Melina vs. Alicia Fox - Divas Title
This match was OK for what it was, but was sloppy in a lot of spots. It served its purpose and hometown girl Melina made a successful return and won the belt off of Fox. LayCool attacking Melina gave me hope that, eventually, the Divas and Women's titles will be merged and that's alright in my book. Result: MELINA WINS. 5/10

Match #3: Big Show vs. SES
I found this match to be better than I thought it would be. It had more ring psychology in it than half the matches on the card and the ending served its purpose. Not the best match, but nowhere near as bad as some people here would have you believe. 6/10

Match #4:Randy Orton vs. Sheamus - WWE Title
While the match was fairly decent, the pace seemed sluggish and, at 18+ minutes, went just a little too long. Even worse, we get our second non-finish (DQ does NOT count as a finish, in my book) of the night and we're only three matches in. Orton's post-match attack on Sheamus made up for it a little bit, but I would have been much more satisfied if Sheamus cheated to win and then got attacked as opposed to the DQ. Result: ORTON WINS VIA DQ 6/10

Match #5 - Kane vs. Rey Mysterio - World Heavyweight Title
This match was what I expected it to be and was good considering it used the typical David/Goliath format. Undertaker returning was cool (especially the crowd reaction when Kane opened the casket the first time and Taker wasn't there) although I'm sold on seeing Kane/Undertaker for the gajillionth time since 1997. Their last big feud in 2004 wasn't that great and I don't expect the one in 2010 to be any better (especially since they're 6 years older. Ugh.) I AM happy to see Kane retain, however. Result: KANE VIA PINFALL (WWE says no-contest and it's possible that the result was thrown out due to Kane continuing to attack Mysterio after the match.) 6/10 (would have been higher if Taker attacked Mysterio instead)

Match #6 - Team WWE (Raw) vs. Nexus
First of all, not everyone cares that Daniel Bryan returned. I, for one, am one of those who don't. I haven't seen the guy wrestle that much (NXT: Season 1 went mostly unnoticed in Canada due to lack of promotion by Global) so obviously I'm not going to be excited to see someone return who I haven't seen much of in the ring to begin with. From what I've seen, though, he's a great wrestler, but his style is somewhat similar to Evan Bourne and look where he is right now...

As for the match itself, almost everyone put on a great show and worked hard through it. Team elimination matches can be very difficult to pull off without it looking like a clusterfuck, but everyone involved made it exciting... until the end. Yes, I'm disappointed Nexus lost and Cena didn't turn heel, but I hated the ending so much that I actually would have been happier if Great Khali had come out and turned on Team WWE. Instead, it was the same old bullshit that has been happening week after week for 4 years. Daniel Bryan could have won for Team WWE after someone... ANYONE attacked Cena, taking him out of the match and then Cena could have attacked Barrett post-match for that "feel-good" moment, but no... I'll stop myself from continuing on about this and give this thing a 6/10

Overall
SummerSlam is supposed to be the second-biggest PPV of the year and yet this year's edition felt like nothing more than a commercial-free episode Raw and is definitely not a Must-see event unless you're fairly new pro wrestling fan. This piece of crap of a PPV gets a VERY generous 5/10

I watch Summerslam, thought you'd like to know what I thought about it.

Ziggy/Kofi was decent enough. I mean, both of the guys can certainly wrestle, but you knew the title wasn't changing hands, so something was missing. Nonetheless, good stuff until Nexus came out, which is something I actually quite liked. That beat the shit out of that Jamaican, didn't they? 7/10, according to my rating system which really isn't comparable to any other one, making it useless, more or less.

The women's match was exactly what you'd expect. Pretty shit with Melina winning. LayCool coming out at the end was a nice touch, since they're actually interesting and all. 5/10

The handicap match was a crock of shit, for the most part. Big Show beating the living hell out of my dear Joseph Mercury. Punk's sick shirt was the highlight here. 6/10

Miz's promo before the title match was pretty sweet. This is why he's compared to the Rock, even though he's clearly not the Rock, for all you morons out there. Sheamus/Orton was actually pretty decent. The beginning was trash though. Not bad once it picked up and I don't mind the DQ finish. Not especially looking forward to this feud continuing though. 7.5/10

Kane/Rey wasn't as soul crushing as some of there encounters from a few years ago, but nothing special, of course. The Taker return wasn't great or anything, but still, it's something special. 7.5/10

Main event was absolutely superb. Truly nothing wrong with it, aside from Morrison getting a pin, perhaps. Bryan was fantastic during the short time he was in there and the upcoming feud with The Miz will certainly be worthwhile. After watching it again, I actually really like the ending. Big moment and that's how big PPVs are supposed to end. Great main event. 9/10

Overall, really good PPV here. A B+, I'd say.

I will admit that this is my first post but after reading the Summerslam 2010 results I felt I had to say something. It is the first time in a long time where I read the PPV results and went wow I wasted my time reading this...like wow that was dreadful. The reason me and my friends did not purchase was because their was 6 matches at one of the biggest PPV of the year (6! again with the wow Vince what are you thinking :banghead: ). I guess the easiest way to break it down is by the matches.

Kofi vs. Dolph for the IC Title: this match should be good so lets get this started. Regular stuff from Vicki and Kofi interrupts her thank god, and oh wait 5 minutes in here is nexus beating down the SD guys umm that was random but I guess since they are not going to beat down Orton in the tittle match.

Melina vs. Alica Fox for the Diva Title: ok so we have the “new” Trish vs. Alica winner the better wrestler Trish I mean Melina. New champ whee. At least we have a winner.

Big Show vs. SES: ummmm why Big Show is a nice guy a good heel but why lay this on him. Punk's feud with Rey was solid but the feud with Big Show has not clicked. You would have thought they would have picked up on it and moved SES on to someone else. Only hope was SES winning and have a match or something leading to Big Show joins SES but nah, SES jobs go them. What is with SD have bad factions SES and Edge's Family (sad when Chavo is your #2 guy).

Seamus vs. Orton for WWE Title: well no interference will be “tolerated” so we all know that Seamus will retain in some underhand way. Let see how WWE goes with this DQ he hit the ref … wow just wow I was expect tights or holding the rope. Which would lead to Orton RKOing Seamus but nope just weak ass DQ (WWE seems to be a DQ kick for a while).

Kane vs. Rey for World Title: wow Kane a world champ for more than 24 hours go him. Rey vs. a really big dude again. He get smashed again. I would have give Rey a 1% chance to win, maybe less. Kane beats him down near a casket it opened there is Undertaker no shock but we get him and Kane choking each other leading to Taker getting tombstoned. And what is that no winner oh boy what a night 2 wins in 5 matches.

Nexus vs 6 +?: ok WWE creative time to shine and here we go 7 member is Daniel Bryan? Ummm ok I think creative just hit a new low. Listen I know he is a former ROH champ and a Nexus that got thrown out of the group but you had SD get beat down at start of show for what reason cause it looked good. Kofi wanted to not help I guess. Lets see this match unfold as expected some infighting by team Raw. Bret eventually gets in the ring to use a Chair? Is he on drugs we all remember WM and his chair usage he swings DQ. Wow creative another fail is Bret doing one sharpshooter too hard. I know he can't take a bumb but just wow. Moving on the winning is team Raw? What ok again I know Nexus is a bunch of rookies, but if you want them to be a continued threat they have to win the first PPV match they are in unless you want to break the group up already.

So lets review 6 matches and 3 pins at one of WWE “big 4” PPV. TNA must have done a happy dance when they saw this failure. Match of the night was probably the Diva Title match.

A few things they could have done different to make the PPV so much better.
Let Kofi and Dolph have their match.
Big Show vs. SES there is no save to this train wreck.
During Miz Speech if you are not having him cash in have issue an open challenge and defend the US Title when did he do that last? Have like say Christian 5-10 match and have nexus help him win by showing up around the ring. Also gives another reason for him helping Nexus in main event. OR have Orton lay out Seamus with an RKO and he cashes in and get ready to hit finisher and the Orton punts Seamus leading to I know a DQ, but if you end with the rope / tights idea no need for 1st DQ. This Could lead to the GM make a Title Match at Night of Champ Triple Threat Orton vs Seamus vs Miz and have Miz win without the cash in. Make him look a lot better as a rising star and Money in the Bank is not 100% lock.
Seamus vs Orton just have a cheese pin especially since you were going get a DQ latter in 7 on 7.
Have Kane pin Rey than do whole casket thing and Taker return just have him win.
7 on 7 if you are pimping Miz so hard have it start 7 on 6 and have him show when in like 3 vs Cena Tag himself in and win OR have Miz come out distract Cena and have the Nexus win. That Could lead to Cena vs. Miz

It just seemed at every chance they had a shot at doing something cool creative just dropped the ball. Summerslam is suppose to be this big event yet they made it seem bad in the hype adds and on paper I just don't get it. Or am I they only one that thought this PPV was awful. The last one I remember reading about and feeling this awful about was the December only WWECW PPV.

Summerslam 2010

IC Title match

If i had watched this match live and not known that Nexus were going to interupt it, i imagine i would have been severly pissed off with the outcome. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this match and feel that Ziggler and Kofi have very good chemistry together. Still not seeing the point in Vickie, i don't honestly think Ziggler needs her, and he certainly doesn't need to be lumped with the killer gimmik of 'the 20 something that's dating a 40 something that looks like a pig, but has influence'.

Anyway, really enjoyed this mtchup until the Nexus beat down. What was the point in interrupting a SD match? Are they going to start tearing up SD?

Divas Match

Well it started off well and then went slowly downhill from here really. I don't honestly see anything spectacular about Melina, other than her flexibility. I was much more impressed with Alicia the previous two PPVs than i was here. And God, i can't wait for Beth Phoenix to return so she can kick LayCool's asses in a dominant fashion.

3 on 1 Match

What did you expect? When the stable only has one member with any credibility to his name, you know Show's going to squash them. Ok, he didn't squash them. There was a 5 minute period where he was actually punished, but at no point did i expect the SES to win here. The stable exists to be the thorn in the sides of ME'ers who aren't in the title picture and that's all. It does not exist to elevate Gallows, Mercury or Serena, and it's the best way to keep Punk relevant, and that boys and girls, is about it. Stop hoping that ME talent are suddenly going to end up joining this thing, it's not going to happen.

Miz Segment

I believe it more and more every time i hear it. Miz will be the future.

WWE Title Match

Good match, nothing stellar. Felt more like a decent Raw ME than a Summerslam one, which is probably why it was on first. Orton's really got the crowd eating out of the palm of his hands, having done absolutely nothing to his character. It truly is astonishing how the same calculating bastard can be cheered after a year of being Raws top heel, just because he defeated both his underlings at WM.

Anyway, I am also loving Sheamus more and more. He's good on the mic and he definitley can hang with the top guys, but why do they insist on having him repeatedly gain victories due to interference or dumb luck? He's smashed through the roster, taken HHH out, gone blow for blow with Orton AND Cena, but can't get a straight 1, 2, 3 out of anyone who's held the belt before. When is he going to beat someone?

WHC Match

Typical Rey versus big man match. Thankfully though, these guys remembered the better moves they used in their previous fued an improved upon them. I'll not say this match was amazing or anything, but it was better than any of the matches in their 'mask' fued.

And then Taker appears, no hat, no coat, grabs Kane and shock, horror, Kane gets the upper hand........... The guy just wrestled 20 minutes and he's got the strength to overpower Taker, who literally got out of a casket and that's it? I'm guessing Taker is supposed to have still been suffering from the original attack by Kane, due to how he was looking, but then again that could have simply been his age showing. Still, Kane remains the champion, so therefore i'm satisfied.

7 on 7 Tag Match

This match was great fun, i thoroughly enjoyed it. The only thing that spoilt it was the fact that Michael Cole would not shut the fuck up about Daniel Bryan. And i couldn't actually believe he sat there defending the Miz's actions.

This is the douchebag that sits there and rants and raves for ages if anyone cheats in the slightest, but his latest man crush smacks a Team WWE member in the head, leading to their elimination from the match, giving Nexus an advantage and he condones it?

Michael Cole better be turning heel, because they can't have him continue to slag off Daniel Bryan as a face if he's going to cheer all the other ones, especially if Bryan's done nothing to deserve it. Ok, yes they had altercations during NXT season 1, but all it's going to do is encourage more heat for Cole who doesn't need to add fuel to the audiences hatred of him.

Anyway, very good match, Truth and JoMo proved they're nothing but ME fodder as usual, fill a gap then fuck off, Bret put in a far better showing than he did in his WM performance, and Cena was barely involved so all in all, great ME.

All in all, this was one of favourite PPVs so far. Ok a lot of stupid finishes, but from start to finish the card was solid, we knew Taker'd come back but not that he'd be left laying, a new fued is going to form between Miz and Bryan i think, and the next month it's NOC, which is always fun because it's every title on the line.

Till then..... we shall see.....

I THOUGHT SUMMERSLAM ABSOLUTELY SUCKED, ONCE AGAIN CENA WAS MADE TO BE THE ONE GUY THAT COULD WIN IT FOR WWE AGAIN, WHICH IS SO OLD RIGHT NOW, SICK OF HIM BEING THE ONE GUY. I LOVE NEXUS THEY ARE GREAT, IT WHAT RAW NEEDS RIGHT NOW, TNA IS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER EACH WEEK, SO SORT IT VINNIE MAC! FOR ONE OF THE BIG 4 IT WAS A VERY VERY BAD PPV, I'M ALWAYS GOING TO BE A WWE FAN, AND TNA WILL ALWAYS BE 2ND BEST, BUT SOON ENOUGH WE'LL HAVE A RATINGS WAR AGAIN. THE ENDINGS TO ALL MATCHES WERE PREDICTABLE, IN FACT PROB THE MOST PREDICTABLE PPV IN THE LAST 5 YEARS. I REALLY WISH I NEVER PAID FOR IT NOW! I CALLED THE FINISHES TO 4 OF THE MATCHES AND VERY CLOSE TO THE OTHERS, I'M GLAD THEY BROUGHT BACK DANIEL BRYAN HE'S GOOD TALENT, BUT THE MAIN EVEN WAS THEIR CHANCE TO START SOMETHING BIG, A HEEL TURN, A LEADER FOR NEXUS BEING REVEALED, BUT IT WAS JUST FLAT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back