Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

The Todd

Championship Contender
President Barack Obama has won the Nobel Peace Prize, beating the favourite Morgan Tsvangirai, prime minister of Zimbabwe.

This award has been given to him after just the ten months in office. The reasoning behind the award was;

Nobel Committee said:
for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

Now, I get Obama is constantly making a stand against nuclear weapons and wanting to improve international relations around the world, but he really hasn't done anything about it yet.

By all means, if he had achieved his goals after a term or two in office then this award would fit him to a tee. As it is, the award is based on his intentions rather than his actions.

Someone like Tsvangirai has done a lot to try to make Zimbabwe a better place, even taking savage beatings for his movements. I'm sure there are others around the world who are more deserving of the award too.

What this does do for Obama, though, is give him a little morale boosting win after his humiliation in Denmark competing for the Olympics. In some places his rejection from the IOC, of all people, has tarnished his reputation slightly. This moves him back up in certain people's eyes.

He also gets a nice little sum of $1.4m. Michelle will be happy.

So what are your thoughts? Is it a sign that Obama is on the right track? Should he be putting his plans in action instead of just talking? Or is it something completely irrelevant that you don't give two shits about? Post your thoughts.

As a president, I have yet to make my mind up about Obama and probably won't for quite sometime, unless he does something spectacular, or something incredibly stupid. As a person, however, I do think he's a really good guy, who wants what's best for not only everyone in this country, but for a lot of people outside of this country as well. I deeply respect and like the man.

That said, what the fuck did he do to earn this? He's done absolutely nothing right now to get this honor. Nothing.

To me, this seems like the Nobel Peace Prize 'people' or whatever trying to gain some attention because let's be honest, if Morgan Tsvangirai got the award... then nobody would care. It doesn't get discussed at all, just like it hasn't since God knows when. But still... I think it's completely bullshit. I don't know anything about this Tsvangirai guy, but if he was a favorite to win, I'm sure it was for good reason and it's a shame him and his country don't get the honor they most likely deserve just because this organization wants some attention.

I could sit here and tell you that as a young biracial male, Obama gives me hope. He makes me feel like I can achieve my goals in life. Yes I can and blah blah blah.

Truth of the matter is, yes he is an inspiration. Yes he seems like a pretty stand up guy. Will he be a better president than Bush? I don't know, but he can form complete sentences. Does he deserve a Nobel Peace Prize right now? Hell no.

He has made some passionate stands against nuclear weapons and it seems like he is really trying to get his message out there. So what! I can talk about getting rid of nuclear weapons too. Give me the damn award. He hasn't done anything towards his goals yet and he hasn't done anything to earn such an honor. I love Obama, but until he actually does something instead of hyping everything that he is going to do, I'm not going to be impressed.

Like jmt225 said, it seems like the Peace Prize committee is just trying to gain attention at this point. Obama has neither earned nor done anything close to earning this award. What else could it be if not for attention? I don't know, but when someone figures it out, please tell me.

That is all!

What a fucking joke. This man has been in office less than a year, and he hasn't done anything to merit the Nobel Peace Prize. Hell, it looks like he won't even be able to avert war in the Middle East!

As far as I'm concerned, Obama will never be as important as such people as Jody Williams, Aung San Suu Kyi, and Mohamed ElBaradei. In other words, Obama does nothing but bring down the value and prestige of this award.

I think the President is an inspiration to all of us and I'm glad he won it rather than other people they might have given it to.

Problem is, the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke. All I needed to know about the folks who award it was revealed when they gave the honor named after peace to a terrorist, Yasser Arafat.

Hard to take it seriously after that.

He won it today BUT the nominations closed IN FEBRUARY!!! He had been in office FOR 12 DAYS!!!! This is a complete joke, he's a joke and has done nothing to deserve any kind of award.

BREAKING NEWS: obuma is on the ballot for AL and NL Cy Young Award and he is a possible MVP for the world series.

Anyone want to bet he is time mags "man" of the year AGAIN!!!

Who cares? I mean, I love Obama, as FTS can tell you in between dry heaving during one of our debates. However, it's the Nobel Prize. These things haven't mattered any in years. There are only a few mad at this:

a) People who still care. Tdigle...and someone else, I'm sure. Not a shot at you, buddy, but for reals. Xfear will care.

b) People who want to take yet another shot at Obama. So FTS and Glenn Beck.

..That's about it. For years now the announcements of the Nobel Prizes have gotten an article on Yahoo news and nothing more. But yet, for some reason, you get this overreaction by people who wouldn't have cared if some man from Alaska was named the recipient. It's Obama, so we have to have an uproar.

To tell you the truth, I can suppose the purpose for this. It's to offer support to his growingly forceful international agenda. The Israel/Palestinian process that he's starting to practically strong-arm, the Iranian nuclear stuff, nuclear disarmament, basically what he spoke off at the UN summit. Not only that, but how many politicians have you heard saying "I'm running for change" or "We must get rid of this corrupt tyranny. I will lead the charge" after Obama pulled it off? He's inspired leaders around the world, and he's truly trying. This Nobel Prize, as I see it, was awarded for the promises he's made and attempting to keep. Some may find it not enough. I don't really care either way.

Ha, what a fucking joke. I'm one of the few people on here along with Razor who will sometimes try to defend Obama, but this is just idiotic here. Though I guess you can't really blame Obama for this, if someone wanted to give you a Nobel prize, you wouldn't exactly say no, would you?

No, the joke here is the Nobel Prize committee. What in the fuck has Obama done to earn this? Absolutely nothing. He's increased troops in Afghanistan...so let's give him the Nobel Peace Prize?! Tsvangarai definitely deserved the prize here.

Oh well. It's stupid, but not a very big deal. The Nobel Prize committee has made a joke out of themselves over the last few decades.

Razor,

You think he or anyone, should get an award for "promises he made and is attempting to keep" (your words). WOW! I don't remember him making those promises in the first 12 days, that's when he was nominated.

I promised my boss that I would be the #1 salesman in the country, should I get the money and the trophy because I made a promise and am attempting to keep it?

He was in office for 12 days before he was nominated, the award has been a joke for a long time and giving it to this CLOWN proves it.

Breaking News: obama has been awarded a gold medal for EVERY EVENT in the 2016 olympics. Someone said he intends to attend one event and since he promised he gets the medals.

More breaking news: it is the first dogs birthday and he has been given the Best in Show ribbon at the westminster kennal clubs dog show earlier this year. He wasn't there but he got the award today anyway.

Even more breaking news: It has just been announced that obama has been awarded the World's greatest Dad coffee mug by his kids and congress is passing a law that says no more muggs can be made now that he has FINALLY won one.

The Nobel Prize is pretty pointless though, but he doesn't really deserve it. He's talked a big game, but hasn't really had the time/ability to do anything to back it up, so I don't get this. We still have soldiers in Iraq and all that jazz, don't we?

This will cause a bunch of controversy and Fox News will have a great time with it, but it really isn't that big of a deal, and it certainly isn't Obama's fault. He said something to the effect of taking the prize as a "call to action", which is the right thing to say.

This is kinda strange, but not really a big deal. If you're going to be angry at someone, be angry at the committee.

Like GD said, Fox is going to have a field day with this, which is even more bullshit. It's Obama's fault that he's being given an award? I could be named man of the year by Nazi Monthly but that doesn't mean I should be. I can't imagine he asked to be nominated. He's going to be given an award. I don't know what the other nominees did but I would think they deserve it more. Either way, this is hardly the end of the world, but I'm sure Obama is going to be blamed for it somehow because that's the cool thing to do. It would have looked even worse to have him turn it down because it would look like he thought it was beneath him or something like that. This really isn't a big deal and like everyone has said, it's about the committee making a dumb choice. I like Obama a lot, but he doesn't deserve this.

I don't think ANYONE is really agree, except maybe the people who REALLY deserve it are. I think most people see this as being political and nothing else.

I don't think ANYONE is really agree, except maybe the people who REALLY deserve it are.

What the hell are you trying to say?

I think most people see this as being political and nothing else.

How is the award political at all? I'm not sure who exactly is on the committee that chooses the award, but what the hell kind of political motives would they have? Let me guess, it's the Obama's Jewish advisors who are all behind this, isn't it?

While I don’t think he deserves the award because he hasn’t done anything that merits that award, I don’t really care if they want to give it to him or not. Like it has been mentioned already, the Committee is a joke and like Jmt said, they are probably just trying to gain some attention because they know that most people, or at least Americans, don’t know or don’t care about Tsvangirai. Therefore, they get the person that everyone in the US should know about, The President of the United States.

Also, good for them if they want to give him 1.4m, I’m sure he desperately needs it.

Yep?

You think he or anyone, should get an award for "promises he made and is attempting to keep" (your words). WOW! I don't remember him making those promises in the first 12 days, that's when he was nominated.

He was making foreign policy peace promises since a year before the actual Democrat/Republican race started. He's been making even more specific promises as the days neared and the days passed after his swearing in.

I promised my boss that I would be the #1 salesman in the country, should I get the money and the trophy because I made a promise and am attempting to keep it?

You're not promising and actively working for Middle Eastern peace, nuclear disarmament, and various other issues are you?

He was in office for 12 days before he was nominated, the award has been a joke for a long time and giving it to this CLOWN proves it.

1) You're a clown. The leader of your country and the man who is currently leading the charge for Iran to not go nuclear isn't. At any rate, I'll use the same logic people like you were using for the justification of Bush's various highly unconstitutional laws. BUT WE HAVEN'T BEEN ATTACKED, SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY DOING A GOOD JOB!!!?!?!?!

2) Yes, these awards have been a joke for years. However, that doesn't mean we or you should be bashing Obama for getting an award for actively working for peace.

Breaking News: obama has been awarded a gold medal for EVERY EVENT in the 2016 olympics. Someone said he intends to attend one event and since he promised he gets the medals.

That's just silly. That's not even the same committee.
More breaking news: it is the first dogs birthday and he has been given the Best in Show ribbon at the westminster kennal clubs dog show earlier this year. He wasn't there but he got the award today anyway.

If I wanted to, I would link that to being racist. But I'm not, because I'm not a douchebag. However, be warned that that could be highly offensive to..you know, black people or ordinary Americans. You just called our president a dog.

Even more breaking news: It has just been announced that obama has been awarded the World's greatest Dad coffee mug by his kids and congress is passing a law that says no more muggs can be made now that he has FINALLY won one.

Are you dogging his parenting style? Seriously? I'll just let these slide as jokes.

KB, you mentioned he probably didn't ask for the nomination/win. It's my understanding, that under regulations, you cannot campaign for said honors.

Anyway, my feelings on it are as follows: They probably could have waited a year or two to even nominate him, and, if he's done something noteworthy, give it to him then. I mean he's not entirely undeserving, but like others have pointed out, he'd only been in office a few days. I think the award would have been better served going to the individual from Tasmania, given what the OP said about enduring torture for his efforts.

Meh, I tend to agree that you are supposed to win this based on your works, not on ideals, but if that were the case, Al Gore wouldn't have won this thing with little to no scientic proof about Global Warming. The Nobel Prize is a nice honor, but at the end of the day, it's a highly politicized little trophy to be given out to someone, no big deal.

As far as Obama, he'll take it, and he should. He was nominated, he won, not his fault. He didn't campaign for it like the Olympics. Obama has nothing to be ashamed of, the committee does. However, since Obama-worship is the cool thing to do in the world today, why the hell does this surprise anyone?

I was very shocked when I found out that President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. I was in my Graphic Design class, and went onto yahoo.com. The major headline read, "Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize"! I was just so shocked... I couln't believe it.

As for the question of whether or not he deserves it... that is yet to be seen. However, 9 months into his presidency, he has shown his potential, his determination, and his stride to become a great leader. I'm sure that later in his presidential term, he will show that his Nobel Peace Prize was no joke.

Being only 15 years old, I am not 100% sure how the Nobel Prize winner is determined. So, I don't know if this other guy, Morgan Tsvangirai is a lot more deserving of the prize or not. Just because he didn't win it this year, doesn't mean that he can't win it another year. Barack Obama is deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize, but only time will tell if he actually deserves the Nobel Peace Prize. See the difference?

Now, Barack Obama will go down with other Presidential Nobel Prize winners, such as Jimmy Carter and Theodore Roosevelt. As well as other important people, in Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Toni Morrison, Marie Curie, and Niels Bohr. However, I hope that it doesn't damage any credibility he would gain later in his presidency. With many people not assured that he deserves to win the prize, it may hurt him in the long run... we will see.

In closing, I am very happy to see President Barack Obama win the Nobel Peace Prize. I feel that he deserves it, but many people do not. It does not matter, as I know that Obama is more than willing to show why he deserves the prize. I hope more people are able to see the inspiration that Barack Obama possesses, and don't just say he shouldn't win the Nobel Peace Prize, just because he hasn't had a lot of longevity in office.

If I wanted to, I would link that to being racist. But I'm not, because I'm not a douchebag. However, be warned that that could be highly offensive to..you know, black people or ordinary Americans. You just called our president a dog.

It is obuma's DOGS birthday and it was a JOKE that the DOG got the award. I should have seen the RACIST charge coming and I shouldn't have expected liberals to have a sense of humor.

I think the President is an inspiration to all of us and I'm glad he won it rather than other people they might have given it to.

Problem is, the Nobel Peace Prize is a joke. All I needed to know about the folks who award it was revealed when they gave the honor named after peace to a terrorist, Yasser Arafat.

Hard to take it seriously after that.

Why is Yasser Arafat a Terrorist, he wanted Palestine and Israel to be both seperate nations? Can you tell me what terrorist act he did?

Infact he was one of the only Palestinians willing to meet with Iseael and try to work the whole situation out, Israel labeled him the nutjob purely for wanting palestine to exist

He started the ball rolling in terms of peace talks, nobody was willing to even listen to a palestinian untill he took the first few steps. For a palestinian to claim that Israel had a right to exist was huge, he was probably an assasination target from other palestinian parties

In the End Israel pretty much made him a prisoner for 2 years in his own building and he died without any medical attention

Anyways, The American President was purely elected due to a poor international image after the Iraq War, He talks big game, but has not done a single thing, Last time i checked American soldiers still roam Iraq/Afghan streets, Israel still steal a portion of land off palestinians, while Obama doesnt do a god-damn thing Back-tracks on issues and He's just a puppet for American to try to mend the broken Image He;s doing a fine job

Can someone please tell me what he's done apart from making a few nice speeches?

Why has he won it over Morgan Tsvangari and others who risk their lives to try to make their country livable, they could sure use the publicity to draw attention to the shit-holes they live in, Hell isnt that the point of the Nobel Peace Prize? Ive got a few zimbabwian friends (Being an Australian they all flocked over here) And they hoped to hell this bloke overthrew Robert Mugabwe, taking white blokes farms and giving them to milita who backed him. While Obama promised better relations, Tsvangari couragously ran against a dictator, won, then when Mugabwe hosted an illegal election, lost again, thats a man who fights and wants true peace.

Typical tokenism. It actually hurts that such a respectable award has gone downhill in the past 3 years.

Reactions: X
Yep?

He was making foreign policy peace promises since a year before the actual Democrat/Republican race started.

He's made all kinds of promises he hasn't kept, like, well, closing Gitmo, the place where people were supposedly tortured. Yes, the man who won the Nobel Peace Prize is keeping a torture camp open. Awesome.
He's been making even more specific promises as the days neared and the days passed after his swearing in.

I promise to broker middle east peace and end the genocide in Darfur. I will also end soccer hooliganism and make Sox and Yanks fans like each other. I will solve the murders of Tupac and Biggie, and force Nas and Jay-Z to have gay sex. Can I have the award please, for my awesome promises.
You're not promising and actively working for Middle Eastern peace, nuclear disarmament, and various other issues are you?

How is he working for middle east peace? He's saying inflamatory things to Israel and Palestine both. Riling up those two sides will definitely being peace......es of broken bodies and buildings. See what I did there?

1) You're a clown. The leader of your country and the man who is currently leading the charge for Iran to not go nuclear isn't. At any rate, I'll use the same logic people like you were using for the justification of Bush's various highly unconstitutional laws. BUT WE HAVEN'T BEEN ATTACKED, SO HE'S OBVIOUSLY DOING A GOOD JOB!!!?!?!?!

He released information of two thwarted plans. He is basking in his successes. For all the talk of Bush's arrogance, this is the most arrogant act possible. He's telling Al-Quaeda, "You can't touch this!" while wearing gold lame (pronounced lam-ay) baggy pants and dancing like he has sand crabs in his knickers. (Rep for anyone who gets that reference)

2) Yes, these awards have been a joke for years. However, that doesn't mean we or you should be bashing Obama for getting an award for actively working for peace.

He's actively talking about peace. Working is a different matter. He could have worked for peace, but decided to go to Denmark on holiday with Oprah.

That's just silly. That's not even the same committee.

I just want to know how....:lmao:

Are you dogging his parenting style? Seriously? I'll just let these slide as jokes.

Well, if I was an eight year old girl, I know my dream vacation would be to Martha's Vineyard.

Great insights everyone. I didn't think it would garner much interest, as it's pretty much a non story.

This award really isn't that much of a big deal. Yes, to someone like Tsvangirai this award would have been a nice day out and a nice sum of money, but it's not going to give him the freedom of his country. No one who has won this award has really done anything that special since the great Nelson Mandela, but merely tried to find solutions.

Obama has outlined solutions so that's what he got it for. At the end of the day, the award doesn't mean much, but it has got people talking about the award for the first time in ages, and it shows Obama in a good light after his humiliation in Copenhagen.

There is pressure on obama now to stick to his goals so this award was not in vain. If he doesn't, well it's only the Nobel Peace Prize.

There is no reason that he should get this award, just like his supporters say, "he hasn't been in office long enough to judge". In all fairness, the award is a joke. It's a political move, like anything else. Has he said some good things, yes. Has he followed through? No! Guantanamo is still open, soldiers haven't been drawn down in Iraq. There is no federal transparency as promised. He hasn't actually done anything, just like Al Gore hasn't actually done anything to stop "Global Warming", just fly around on his private jet giving these lectures on how other people are causing a problem, and how others are the problem except him. It's an award for being a good democrat, not for any actual accomplishments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back