Now is Bad News Barrett going to get de-pushed too?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Bad New Barrett recently got injured (again) on Smackdown two weeks ago. He has been stripped of the IC title and had been pulled from the Money in the Bank ladder match for the contract for a future WWE world heavyweight championship match. But the injury bug has come back to Wade Barrett. He is going to miss this years Summerslam as well as it seems. The guy can't catch a break. So now are the WWE heads going to put a halt to BNB's recent push? Bad News Barrett is indeed a injury prone. He is now on the same list as guys like Christian & Dolph Ziggler. A guy who has all the tools to be a main eventer in the WWE but is an injury prone.

The WWE seems to have a hard time trusting those kind of guys. So would you personally put BNB on that same list as the WWE did to those two other guys or would you give him another chance at the top when he returns? I couldn't call personally in my opinion.

The WWE seems to have a hard time trusting those kind of guys.

Yes, but it isn't a question of the company punishing injury prone people. It must be remembered that no matter what your job, if you can't work because you're continually out sick or hurt, you're not performing your assigned function for the people who pay you to do it. Sure, we can feel all the sympathy we want for these folks and keep saying that it isn't their fault.....which is true..... but the employer needs people on the job and producing in order to attain their goals.

In a profession like pro wrestling, in which employees put their bodies on the line during working hours, a performer who's constantly unable to work can't be counted on, whether it's his fault or not.

WWE has put time and resources behind Wade Barrett and all that's been accomplished these past months has been lost. Yes, they can give it another shot when he comes back. With his ability and the success achieved with his "Bad News" persona, I imagine they'll want to......yet, management must filter in the fact that there seems to be a decent chance that Wade could again wind up on the shelf sooner rather than later.

No, it can't be predicted and it's not fair.....but it's always a factor in the employer's thinking.

I think he will get de-pushed, and I think he should too. Not as a punishment, as Sally correctly stated, but because of the fact that it is difficult when you invest in a guy, only for him to get injured which puts an instant halt on the push. Barrett has been injury prone, so I can totally understand why the brass at WWE would be hesitant to but a belt back on him or move him anywhere near the main event. I don't think he should become jobber to the stars or anything like that. I think he should be in a feud in the mid card, and he should still see ample time on television and on PPV's. But the WWE is not going to want to be in damage control,over and over again, scrambling to deal with another injury to a guy holding one of their titles, even a secondary one.

Which is a shame, really. At first I thought the whole "bad news" Barrett schtick was kind of stupid but it had really begun to grow on me. It must be difficult for Barrett to get pushed to the sidelines due to reasons basically out of his control. But I can definitely understand WWE wanting to protect their interests too, and that involves putting less focus on a guy who misses chunks of time on a repeated basis.

How do you de-push a guy that wasn't being pushed any more when he got hurt? The guy had recent losses to Ziggler. He was a heel mid card champion. Basically he had peaked for the time being. He wasn't sniffing the main event scene or anything, he was in mid card purgatory, not being pushed.

Anyway, when Mr. Glass returns I expect he will get back to the mid card using the same gimmick he was recently using. He may even get a mid card title back. He is talented enough to have a decent spot on the roster, if he gets hurt again they can just throw together another battle royal for the title. Those are more interesting than mid card title feuds anyway.

I agree with GSB. He's not going to be de-pushed. But he has reached his ceiling as far as how much higher he can go on the ladder. He's actually not in a bad spot.

BNB unfortunately will be de-pushed and really the WWE cant be blamed.. BNB is a huge huge talent,good in the ring,great on the mic,can connect with the fans,has a catchy gimmick.

Like MS said,no matter how great you are in your job,if you are always sick or injured you cant be counted on.. Its not Barretts fault,some bodies are built different than others.. I totally understand the WWEs viewpoint on this,they have to protect their interest..

BNB upon his return should be the GM of RAW! Deliver Bad News week in week out,while still staying relevant

I have to agree with the consensus in that he'll probably be de-pushed. As others have said, I don't believe he'll be de-pushed as some sort of punishment, even as unreasonable as Vince McMahon is said to be sometimes, he knows that injuries can happen to anyone at anytime no matter how well you're trained or tough you are. However, he could be de-pushed due to concern the company has in terms of how he's going to hold up in the long run.

In the case of Wade Barrett, he suffered a partially dislocated elbow the post Elimination Chamber Raw in 2012. As a result, he missed WrestleMania and there were reports that WWE was going to return Money in the Bank as a specialty match at WrestleMania 28, with Barrett penciled in as the winner. Those plans were obviously scrapped, Barrett didn't return until the 1st week of September and eventually won the IC title in late December. Things were going well for about a month until the Royal Rumble, he was eliminated by Bo Dallas at the Rumble, Dallas upset Barrett in a singles match the next night on Raw and we saw what may possibly be the worst use of the Intercontinental Championship during any WrestleMania season in history. Barrett pretty much floundered for much of the rest of 2013, started making headway again, won the IC title for the 4th time in May, things were going really well and then he gets a separated shoulder.

The OP mentioned Christian and, for the longest time, Christian was somebody who seemed one of the lucky few who hadn't really been sidelined by serious injury in his career. That's very much changed in the past few years, however, because Christian has spent much of the past few years on the shelf due to shoulder issues or the result of a concussion.

Dolph Ziggler suffered a couple of concussions within a span of about 7 or 8 months of each other and reports have suggested that's why Ziggler hasn't been getting pushed. Nobody denies his talent, but concussions are what worries WWE officials the most. Over much of the past 10 years, more research has been done on concussions and they're potentially even more traumatic in the long term than previously thought. It's not Ziggler's fault that he got 'em, but he got 'em all the same and WWE is reluctant to really use him as a top level guy.

I seriously hope he at least gets a shot down the road at a main event level match. He's somewhat been in that spot before, with his matches against Randy Orton and John Cena, hell, he was in the main event I believe in his very first few months, back in 2010. I hope he gets another chance. Sure, they'll have to build him up again, but his gimmick is over, so it shouldn't be difficult. What I don't get is why, whether or not he did it by accident, WWE seems to push Jack Swagger after he injures someone. Back in 2013 when he gave Ziggler a concussion, he was then placed in a #1 contender's match for the World title at the next PPV. Now, he injures a guy that was just starting to make the IC title interesting again and who was fairly over himself. What does WWE do with him? They turn him face. *Sigh* So what's gonna happen when he injures someone else? Are they going to give him the WWE Heavyweight title? I digress. I just hope they don't give up on Barrett.

It's unfortunate, but Barrett probably won't get a shot at the IC title immediately following his return (unless he comes back by September). If the WWE was smart, they'd still be letting him cut promos while he's injured (ie: when Stone Cold was injured, and only cutting promos after his broken neck). It looks like Barrett will be off TV until he's healthy enough to compete again though, unfortunately.

None of us have a crystal ball, but the WWE might give Barrett the "Ziggler treatment": not taking a chance on him again because he's "injury prone" (if those reports on Ziggler hold any water). I separated my shoulder when I was 19, and the pain was excruciating. Mine took six months or so to heal, and the first month I was in a sling. From what I've read, Barrett might have surgery on his shoulder though. I know there are different degrees of shoulder separations, so I may have been lucky enough to not require surgery for mine (and Barrett's might be more severe). If that is the case, Barrett could be out for a long time.

I'd hope that the WWE doesn't forget how talented he is, and realize that this injury wasn't necessarily his fault...but they might place the blame directly on Barrett, and he might not get another push. I am glad that they're not making their performers wrestle hurt, however - and hopefully they see this injury as an isolated incident. A shoulder separation is not something to take lightly, and I hope Barrett doesn't try to push himself to come back sooner than his body allows...then again, a real athlete (unlike myself) may have a shorter recovery time for an injury like this.

I never got the IWC's tendency to call wrestlers "injury prone" when they've only had two notable injuries, and I don't think that it should have any influence on their position in the company. Both Edge and Batista had their fair share of very bad injuries and yet are regarded as two of the top World champions of this generation. I couldn't imagine either of those two being de-pushed. I also really do not want to see it happen to Daniel Bryan (who in fairness, may not even be able to wrestle again).

Granted, I am a big fan of both Bad News Barrett and Dolph Ziggler, so maybe I'm bias in saying all of this. But that's what these forums are for right, these kinds of opinions?

I think the "injury-prone" concept has a lot to do with creative or the higher powers needing a nice PC out when they might not be so high on an individual. Orton went through a string of injuries and he has always been treated as a top guy. We could also look at the multiple and serious injuries of SCSA and HBK. When it comes to guys like BNB and Dolph a lot of people just have a hard time excepting they are mid carders. People need to understand mid carder isn't a dirty word. They add to and sometimes steal the show.

The good news for BNB is that his personality works beyond the ring. He should have a long future with the company.

The only wrestler on the roster that I consider completely injury prone is Rey Mysterio honestly. The others have had bad breaks but it seems like Rey hasn't been relevant for years.

Bad News Barrett was the type of character that we needed to see from time to time to be entertained and keep in in our minds. Take the news updates away and what do we have? Just another heel wrestler. I think they could try putting him on commentary during his recovery phase, ala CM Punk; that would keep him relevant and interesting, plus all he has to do once he recovers is get up from commentary and attack someone. And he is back on track. Otherwise, he is bound to lose momentum and the de-push seems likely.
And this is not just about him; the RAW show seriously needs better commentators. JBL is a terrible heel commentator whose every word is forced, and Jerry is even worse. Bad News Barrett would fill a huge void, and it would benefit both him and the product.

Yes, but it isn't a question of the company punishing injury prone people. It must be remembered that no matter what your job, if you can't work because you're continually out sick or hurt, you're not performing your assigned function for the people who pay you to do it. Sure, we can feel all the sympathy we want for these folks and keep saying that it isn't their fault.....which is true..... but the employer needs people on the job and producing in order to attain their goals.

In a profession like pro wrestling, in which employees put their bodies on the line during working hours, a performer who's constantly unable to work can't be counted on, whether it's his fault or not.

WWE has put time and resources behind Wade Barrett and all that's been accomplished these past months has been lost. Yes, they can give it another shot when he comes back. With his ability and the success achieved with his "Bad News" persona, I imagine they'll want to......yet, management must filter in the fact that there seems to be a decent chance that Wade could again wind up on the shelf sooner rather than later.

No, it can't be predicted and it's not fair.....but it's always a factor in the employer's thinking.

Well said. It's unfortunate he got the injury. I'm hoping when he comes back they give him another shot.

He's been a great company guy and you can't really say he did anything bad outside of the ring unlike some of these injury prone guys who got depushed when they came back.

He's a mid-carder, how much more could they possibly "de-push"the guy? What are they gonna do send him back to NXT? You can't de-push a guy who hasn't really gotten a push since he debuted like 4 yrs. ago(?), the guy is simply a career mid-carder going forward.

I WWE wants to prevent the injury bug from hitting guys so much, then their are two easy steps WWE can take.

1-Stop putting guys in the ring with Jack "The Career-Killer" Swagger

2-Don't put guys on the road 300 days a year, the human body can only take so much punishment before it's like "hey fuck you, I'm broken now".

Bad News Barrett really has had a terrible string of bad luck. He'll never get back to where he was during the original Nexus angle. It simply will never happen at this point. The Corre sucked almost as much as New Nexus did. He got injured when he was rumored to win the Money In the Bank which would have gotten him to where he was destined to get had he not been injured. Then there was The Barrett Barrage and the fight club gimmick, those could have helped too but injuries and Intercontinental Championship reigns he never got to do anything with did him no favors. The Bad News persona is the best Barrett has been since Nexus. The only way to salvage his push now is for him to show up still making Bad News promos while recovering from his injury. It keeps him relevant and allows him to have momentum going into his in-ring recovery. Even then, he may receive some bad news of his own if he wants another big push. Injuries and bad luck are terrible, but things happen. I don't see him making it further than multi time Intercontinental Champion now sadly.

Is she really injury prone? He got thrown out of the ring from big show's height all the way to the floor and whoever it was I think Ziggler failed to break his fall. And his most recent injury was frigging Swagger not protecting him and really smashed jim knto a guardrail after a match. Both injuries have occurred due to other guys and in non in the ring match situations where Wade has put his body in the hands of someone else.

if anything as a big f'n sorry to the guy he should be pushed to the damn moon.

The WWE needs a good, English-speaking, foreign heel. Barrett fills that role to a T. Nobody gives a bird fornication about Rusev. Adam Rose is a comedy face. So, who else do they have? Barrett will not get de-pushed when he comes back in any way, shape or form. In fact, I truly believe they will push him to the moon. Why? The UK market is gold, and the WWE network is going to be trying to make it there. Barrett, if he is healthy, will help lead the charge of the Network in the UK.

Not in cases where it's clear his fellow workers are the cause. On the two occasions BNB has had a push derailed, it has been due to a fellow worker's carelessness rather than a mistake he has made. If you're injury prone cos you're not doing it right that's one thing... if it's cos others have taken liberties then it's unlikely the company is really gonna hold it against you.

In this case they won't punish him cos in a perverse way it helped them, it allowed Swagger and Miz's pushes and when he does return allows him to move up the card rather than down it.

It's easy how he comes back... #30 in the Royal Rumble... everyone wants D-Bry or Sting if he's gonna be heel or they set it up that the Authority think they have a "ringer" at #30 to stop Reigns, only for BNB to tell them the "bad news" if he's gonna be face (which is inevitable in reality).

He can then go into the Elimination Chamber and have a good match at Mania against Orton or Kane if either is still "corporate" by that time. If they're smart and bring back King Of The Ring or move MITB back to Mania, then he can win that... either way it's wrong to think he'll be depushed because the fans were into him and more importantly Trips was...

Remember how he did the impression of him when announcing him for MITB? That proves that he is not only high on BNB but was pretty big forshadowing he was the original intended winner after Ambrose and Rollins took each other out...Kane thrown in there just seemed a rush job to replace the fact BNB couldn't actually do it.

Most importantly though, the WWE is gonna be launching the Network in the UK... so its inevitable BNB gets a big push if he's around either at the start or when it comes time to renew that first time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back