Not enough bad-asses

JoeFromTomsRiver

Championship Contender
After watching NXT the past few weeks, I've noticed that the WWE is lacking big, intimidating guys in the pipeline. (Not counting Rusev because he is on the main roster)

You have The Ascenscion, although Viktor really isn't that imposing, and MAYBE Colin Cassidy although he's a bit lanky and basically comes off as a more-aggressive Drew Mcintyre.

On the flip-side, you have too many pretty-boy and/or wuss characters:

Adam Rose
Tyler Breeze
Aiden English

3 guys who have been featured prominently on NXT recently and they all have flamboyant, dare I say ****PREJUDICED REMARK REMOVED**** characteristics. Any of these guys on their own is no big deal, but when they come out one after the other, it's like "where are the tough guys who come across as someone you wouldn't want to mess with"?

I think they COULD do something like that with Mojo Brawley if the stay hyped gimmick runs dry. He's a pretty big fella that they could mold into that. Maybe once the hype is gone, he turns into a bitter, no remorse butt kicker of a guy?

Oh great, another Vince hates big guys thread! :)

I think that is what you ate going to continue to get from NXT. NXT seems to cater to a certain type of viewer, unlike Raw which is an attempt to reach a larger audience.

Plus there may be some guys that WWE doesn't want to give that exposure. Guys who are more profitable if they have more mystery behind them. Maybe that is where the big guys are hiding.

Or maybe it is just the stupid wellness policy.

I think they COULD do something like that with Mojo Brawley if the stay hyped gimmick runs dry. He's a pretty big fella that they could mold into that. Maybe once the hype is gone, he turns into a bitter, no remorse butt kicker of a guy?

I guess part of that gimmick change would be changing his last name from RAWLEY to BRAWLEY...;)

I agree that he would be believable as a take-charge, no-nonsense guy. He did some "serious" promos before NXT was on the Network and the guy has some range.

He needs a lot more work in the ring before anything else gets sorted out though.

Oh great, another Vince hates big guys thread! :)

It's not even the size of the guys really, it's their presentation.

I think that is what you ate going to continue to get from NXT. NXT seems to cater to a certain type of viewer, unlike Raw which is an attempt to reach a larger audience.

But NXT is a developmental system for the WWE. It's not on an island of it's own, it's a pipeline TO RAW.

I guess part of that gimmick change would be changing his last name from RAWLEY to BRAWLEY...;) .

D'oh and that's not the first time someone has corrected me LOL but hey, it could happen hahaha

I'm still "new" to WWE/NXT. WWE Network brought me back after a 12 year absence so I'm still in catch up mode. I like the intensity he brings and there's just something about him that leads me to think he could really play that brute character if he was repackaged.

Well they called up Big E a little over a year ago, and I'm pretty sure he's a moose. Roman Reigns is a beast as well, same with Cesaro, and those are two guys in line for big pushes. So maybe there's not a lot of "big, intimidating guys" in NXT right now, but there are guys that fit that mold in position to be a major part of WWE's future. Rusev probably isn't going to go very far, but like you said he's another powerhouse guy that was recently brought onto the main roster.

I agree that having a mix of different looks and styles is important. You don't want all jacked muscleheads and you don't want any vanilla midgets. You need variety.

They had big guys from NXT like RYBACK, BIG E, DAVID OTUNGA etc but all failed to make a big impact like DANIEL BRYAN did...So its not the matter of size..It's all about having the right things at the right place in the right time and his personality and ability to entertain or delivering one good promo or even a great CATCHPHRASE for a super star to just get to the top. It has been so for The Rock, SCSA or Hogan and for DB..
Currently there is a lack of BAD ASSES in the roster but the fans are not missing any bad asses so why should they bring in more and WWE really researches tremendously in the current trends in the fans as to who will they support and delivers it to them without they never even realizing it..

I think people are talking more the CURRENT NXT guys. People that are already on the main roster don't count on this thread.

NXT could easily have some super badass dudes on the roster. Dudes like Big Cass (he's not so SAAAAAAWFT), Sawyer Fulton, Baron Corbin, Brodus Clay, and Corey Graves is even kind of a badass in his own regard. I think NXT has plenty of or at least potential to be badass dudes on the roster. Small character tweaks and slight pushes make all the difference. Maybe there's a reason for the recent push in more feminine/not so masculine characters. Aiden, Tyler, and Adam are all guys that get some great TV time, and I don't think we've really seen enough of Adam Rose to call him a p***y quite yet. He's a party guy. It's a fun gimmick. Not a weak girly gimmick.

The OP is right. There are not enough bad asses in wrestling these days. That's why they have to keep bringing back guys like Brock, Rock, Batista.

And it's not about size. It's about personality. Sheamus is a big dude, but he's by no means badass or in any way intimidating. He's another smiley big man with zero personality. Big Show falls into that category as well. Mojo Rawley in NXT is another.

And being a badass doesn't mean cursing or flipping the bird like Austin in the attitude era. Goldberg, Undertaker and Warrior were pretty badass back in their prime and did so without any vulgarity. Despite being good guys they never once smiled. Even Hulk Hogan very rarely smiled. His promos were always intense and he came across as being far more angry than happy. The only guys who smiled were the cocky heels like Dibiase, Mr.Perfect, The Model or Rick Rude.

Roman Reigns is the closest thing they have on the main roster to a badass. Let's just hope when he goes solo they don't make him cut his hair and walk to the ring with a big smile on his face. Let him be like Undertaker or Brock. If he can't speak well, then don't have him say anything at all. Actions speak louder than words.

Aiden, Tyler, and Adam are all guys that get some great TV time, and I don't think we've really seen enough of Adam Rose to call him a p***y quite yet. He's a party guy. It's a fun gimmick. Not a weak girly gimmick.

Excessively prancing around the ring & and doing that little "bicycle" thing while sitting on the second rope = Girly Gimmick.

Again, I'm not saying there is no place for this kind of stuff, but it seems a bit much on NXT.

Probably a reflection of the times. "Badass" was cool in the 90s. Now it's about being a douchebag hipster with a mustache and a personality rooted in sarcasm.

Probably a reflection of the times. "Badass" was cool in the 90s. Now it's about being a douchebag hipster with a mustache and a personality rooted in sarcasm.

Hmm, I was going to post about how Sheamus could still be considered a badass but they screwed over Ryback and Big E, but this is also a good point, it could be possible that it's more a reflection of what people enjoy more. The Rock and Austin rose to the top for being bad asses, hell the rock was a bad ass as a face. I can say right now the only two bad asses remaining is sheamus and roman reigns. But like you said, it could just be a reflection of the new era.

Why does someone have to be huge to be a badass? Kurt Angle isn't huge and can legit toss around pretty much anyone in wrestling. Jericho isn't huge but he took down Goldberg. Savage was a buy flamboyant coming out in those bright colours but no one questioned his ability. It isn't the size that matters, it is the ability. I have seen huge guys who are the kindest guys you would ever meet but to look at them, you would think they are ready to tear your head off. I have also seen the big over-muscled idiots who look like a million bucks but couldn't throw a punch to save their life. If you don't like the characters because they are cowardly or whiney, that's fine but getting bigger guys doesn't mean they will be more badass.

Why does someone have to be huge to be a badass? Kurt Angle isn't huge and can legit toss around pretty much anyone in wrestling. Jericho isn't huge but he took down Goldberg. Savage was a buy flamboyant coming out in those bright colours but no one questioned his ability. It isn't the size that matters, it is the ability. I have seen huge guys who are the kindest guys you would ever meet but to look at them, you would think they are ready to tear your head off. I have also seen the big over-muscled idiots who look like a million bucks but couldn't throw a punch to save their life. If you don't like the characters because they are cowardly or whiney, that's fine but getting bigger guys doesn't mean they will be more badass.

They don't have to be, but it does add to the intimidation factor of a badass. Neither Kurt Angle nor Jericho was a bad ass as their charisma wasn't bad ass related. Both of them always had this cocky smile coming down the ramp and was presented more as the arrogant douche than an actual bad ass. The rock on the other hand came out walking with intense purpose like you can tell he was going to whoop someone's ass. It's a difference in body language, personality and etc, and most big guys carry that persona because they are, well big guys lol.

is this a Scott Steiner promo? lol

WWE seems to either love the chicken sh*t heel or powerhouse heel running over jobbers. I wish we would get more in the middle

Maybe no one has come along in the recent set of try outs that can convey a convincing badass? it's not something you can merely pretend to be and it's about more than a look, Ryback is a big, mean looking guy but he also comes off like a dumb as shit Biff Tanen on roids. Reigns on the other hand isn't as jacked but he has a presence and voice that make him come off as a badass.

I think the real issue is guys getting into wrestling are looking for a way to stand out and be entertaining, so most are trying to be more than just a tough guy, I'm sure over time trends will revert as they always do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back