Nicktoons

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Given my recent excitement over Doug and Hey Arnold being put on DVD, this was the next logical step. Today, Nickelodeon cartoons freaking suck. I mean they REALLY suck. Most of us grew up in the glory days of Nickelodeon where it was so beyond awesome that it was all that mattered. With shows like Doug, Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life and Ahh! Real Monsters, we were freaking spoiled. This is as simple as I can make it: what are your favorite Nicktoons and why?

Mine was Doug. It was just a well done series about a kid in middle school who had some very odd friends and family. A lot of the show are his dream sequences/day dreams which were completely ridiculous but awesome at the same time. It's just a cool show about what it's like growing up.

Anyone else?

Either Doug or Hey Arnold. Both were about normal/semi-normal kids, doing semi-normal things, and they made it entertaining. Each show was funny, smart, and nice, with great serious episodes and tons of depth.

Today, shows just fail. The only one I like is The Penguins of Madagascar, because penguins are awesome. Shows today have no depth, and lazy animation. It's sad, really.

I was a fan of pretty much all of them back in the nineties.

In the morning, I would tune into The Rugrats while waking up/getting ready for school, and after supper every night I would always catch two episodes of Doug at 6 PM, if I remember correctly.

Hey Arnold, I liked the first season, and maybe the 2nd, but I didn't watch it religiously like I did the other cartoons.

The Ren and Stimpy Show I dug a lot, but only in doses. I could get tired of it real quick.

The Angry Beavers, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Rocko's Modern Life... I fucking loved all of those.

And I guess that's it. I would have to say out of all those shows, Doug was perhaps my favorite, even though I never did like the Quail boy episodes. In fact, I hated them, but the other shows were priceless and like I said... I loved them. However, I was not a fan Disney's Doug, if anyone else remembers that. I thought they really fucked the show up.

what are your favorite Nicktoons and why?

I liked all of the old ones. I think that they began going downhill when "Oh Yeah Cartoons" was created. I really enjoyed all of the original ones because they were all so good that I could watch them over and over again. In the latter half of the 90's they started adding some that weren't as good as the originals, but were still GREAT compared to the garbage that's being made nowadays. Starting with "Chalk Zone" they have all been terrible ever since. I checked wikipedia, and there have been a grand total of 33 nicktoons. How many of those does anyone even remember? Without checking that list again I would have maybe remembered 12, and all of which were from before 2000.

As for my favorite.... it is honestly almost impossible to pick a favorite. I think I'll agree with klunderbunker and say Doug. The fantasies were always interesting, and something we can all relate to from our childhood. Come on, who here didn't have silly exaggerated fantasies about stuff we were stressing out about? It was a funny show we could all relate to and one of the few shows that had no bad episodes.

I think my favourite was definitely Hey Arnold. Every day I would come in from school and make a plan to watch this show. It was a very good show, to be quite honest. It had a great story most of the time and always had a message at the end. As a kid, it was one of the finest shows I have seen and I still remember a lot of the episodes to this day. It really is refreshing to see a show like this again after such a long hiatus and it is even more because of the shows that are around just now. Shows like Hey Arnold and the Rugrats were definitely ahead of their time and just exceptional shows. The best thing about Hey Arnold though... The opening theme:

Oh! And the crazy Grandma.

I can't even boil it down to just one, there were so many KB. But I'll just go with two for now and explain those.

Hey Arnold is right at the top of the list. I watched that show from the time it came out, all the way until they stopped making it. I hated the fact they stopped it, but it had run its course. Arnold was a great character to look up to, and I think I try and model myself after him more than anything, he was always trying to help his friends out of their goofy shenanigans, and I tend to take that route as well.

Rocket Power was another show that I just freaking loved. It was around the time I was getting really big into the X-Games, and was simply in awe at the stuff I was seeing on there from Dave Mirra, Mat Hoffman, Tony Hawk, Bucky Lasek, and tons of others, was awesome. I can't choose one of the original gang that I love most, as Reggie, Twister, Otto, and Sam all have their own separate things that distinguish them but make them difficult to choose a favorite.

Honorable Mentions: Doug, Rugrats, CatDog, Rocco's Modern Life.

[YOUTUBE]j5nCnC6eSxw[/YOUTUBE]​

I can't find the actual intro, so that will have to do :(

Doug is quite possibly one of the most underrated cartoons ever. I watched every episode, and was distraught whenever I missed one airing for the first time. I was also a huge fan of Hey Arnold! and Rugrats, and still actually watch Rugrats whenever it makes an appearance.

As far as the ones today sucking, I'll agree, but I still watch Fairly OddParents. It's not on the level of the old ones, but compared to cartoons on the whole right now, it's in the top tier.

Well I was here to fix my post.

So here I go, my favorite nicktoon is as follows

1. Invader Zim: Properly done dark humor, good animation, and memorable character. My only real gripeis that towards the end it got outright ******ed. But otherwise Zim is an awesome show.

2. Rocko's Modern Life: Hmm what's to say about this show that hasn't already been said about this show. The art style was meh, but the writing was outright superbe mixing great kiddy jokes with many adult humor that wasn't picked up until your at least 20. The only thing I hate is the fact that I can't find any dvd's of this series.

Great thread KB.

Hey Arnold and Rocko’s Modern Life (even though I started seeing it after they decided to not continue with new episodes) were my favorites. I always enjoyed both shows as a kid. They were funny and entertaining to me all of the time. The thing I absolutely loved about Hey Arnold was how Helga loved Arnold but always hid it from him.

Two others I loved watching were Rugrats and Rocket Power. I loved seeing the adventures that they would go on both show and overall, they were pretty awesome shows.

This thread brings back great memories. I don’t watch the nicktoons today because I’m usually in school, but when I don’t go to school I try watching some of them but they are horrible. Maybe it’s that I’m “too old” for them now or that they really are horrible.

You know, I think I might buy the Hey Arnold DVD for Christmas. That show was all types of epic and I still love it today. There are many other shows that I loved such as CatDog, The Angry Beavers, e.t.c.

Oh My God this brings back some great memories. I loved a lot of the Nicktoon's but there where the few I just couldn't get into. Ahh Real Monsters was one of those few. I don't know why but it was stupid, IMO. I have probably seen every episode of CatDog, Rugrats, The Angry Beaver, and Rocco's Modern Life. I think Doug was my favorite but I often found myself wishing I could live in Arnold's attic. I mean come on, that thing was the shit! I used to watch these shows getting ready for school early in the morning. To be truthful I would probably still be watching them if they still came on, but they kinda faded into complete darkness.

Rugrats was probably my favorite. I loved that show and everything about it. Chucky was a total badass, even though he was a scaredy cat. Rocket Power was awesome as well, because I too was getting into the X-Games and a show that just hit all the Xtreme sports was awesome. Tito was so funny. I never cared too much for CatDog or AHH! Real Monsters. They never appealed to me really. The Nicktoons today are god awful. THe only shining light is really Fairly Odd Parents.

The ultimate in all cartoons must be the not too old Spongebob Squarepants. This is still funny however old I get, the niave main charecter and all his wacky friends combine subtle adult humour with blatent absurdity. Spongebob is genius !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back