NFL Thread - 2009-10

How many games will the Lions win this year.

• Winless (0-16, again)

• 1-4wins

• 5-8 wins

• 9-11 wins

• 12-15 wins

• Undefeated (16-0)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Mel Kiper's first round 1-16

Pick Team Player Position College

1 Detroit, Matthew Stafford QB Georgia SINCS- 96

2 St. Louis, Andre Smith OT Alabama SINCS- 98

3 Kansas City, Mark Sanchez QB USC SINCS- 97

4 Seattle, Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech SINCS- 98

5 Cleveland, Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest SINCS- 98

6 Cincinnati, Jason Smith OT Baylor SINCS- 95

7 Oakland, Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri SINCS- 95

8 Jacksonville , Eugene Monroe OT Virginia SINCS- 96

9 Green Bay, Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio St. SINCS- 96

10 San Francisco, Aaron Maybin DE/OLB Penn St. SINCS- 96

11 Buffalo, Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma St. SICS- 93

12 Denver, B.J. Raji DT Boston College SINCS- 93

13 Washington, Brian Orakpo DE Texas SINCS- 95

14 New Orleans, Vontae Davis CB Illinois SINCS- 93

15 Houston, Everette Brown DE Florida St. SINCS- 93

16 San Diego, Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia SINCS- 94

This is the first round of projections, before the combine and the senior bowl. Persoanlly, from what i saw, the cheifs were growing much more comfortable with Ty Thigpen at QB, and should go for Crabtree, or maybe even make a local splash, with Maclin. Guys who are gamebreakers like Maclin are immeasurable with what they can do to a game. Both Crabtree and Matt Stafford scored out far better than I thought from scouts inc, as I feel this is an extremely weak draft. If I were the lions, I would trade down, and get more picks, as their team is just terrible, from top to bottom, and is more lacking on the defenisve side of the ball than anything.I also think Marky Mark Sanchez is much further underneath Staffird than he is ranked.

above is the projected team picks, and their Scouts inc. propsect over all grades. Scouts inc is the most trusted pro scouting service in the country, and are generally know to be pretty right on in their scores. Ill be updating this after combines, and as we draw closer to the big day

Without Tim Tebow, or Sam Bradford making the jump to the Pro's this year, I guess Stafford is the odds on favorite to be the first QB off the board.

The only problem I have with that, is I don't honestly know who he is. Granted I watched more college football this year than I have in year's previous, but the fact is.. Georgia QB or not, I didn't hear much of this guy throughout the year.

The one QB not listed within the top 16 picks that I would've felt would be big, was Graham Harrell. While Crabtree may have made Harrell semi-famous, the fact is I still remember his name. I'm just curious what type of college athlete he was now, since he isn't even apparently making the first half of the first round.

I would agree with NorCal about Detroit trading down for more picks. It's not like Stafford is going to suddenly "Matt Ryan" this team. I just don't think he's that type of QB, but I guess I could be wrong. I don't know him.

My next problem is that St. Louis is shown taking an OT. St. Louis had issues with their QB, RB & WR positions. With that said, I don't think an Offensive Linemen is going to help matters. Holt's career is winding down, and Avery looked impressive, but they still need a good homerun, long-career threat at WR to replace Holt. If Avery's what they want, so be it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them go Maclin, or Crabtree.

Depending on Steven Jackson, I also wouldn't be shocked to see them attempt seeking out a RB.

K.C.: Ty Thigpen was amazing last year. Point blank, he was very underrated and deserves more credit. I think he did a great job coming into that team, and fuck all.. he likely didn't even know all of the playbook. I mean, didn't he just join them last year? So overall, I wouldn't attempt looking QB in this area. I'd attempt looking WR help to compliment Bowe. Maclin/Crabtree. It's likely one will definately be there.

Seattle: Just because they had a run on injuries at the WR position doesn't mean they need to go out and draft a rookie. The injury bug doesn't "skip" rookies, and it's not like every WR from college jumps directly into being a huge NFL WR either. So I think this is a bad decision as well.

Seattle is in desperate need of a RB. Morris, Jones, and whoever else they had.. none of them fit well. They kept switching in and out throughout the whole season. I say bring in Shonn Greene from Iowa. He was a hard hitting power back. While that might be jumping the huge gun, especially depending on the list of available backs.. I definately think Seattle needs to go RB.

KC needs Crabtree or Maclin. Thigpen is a very athletic QB, and has made plays happen. Bowe is a great threat, but with Gonzalez leaving, it's hard to see Cottam stepping up at TE. Bradley was a great #2 for them, in the limited time he was with them, but they need to give Thigpen more targets, and better protection. With their center leaving via free agency, they need to either take a WR at #3, or trade down within the top 10, and use that pick on a lineman.

As a Giants fan, I took notice that Kiper had us picking Laurinaitis at #29. I agree that LB is a need in the draft, we've done well at picking them later in the draft (Kehl, Goff, Wilkinson), so I feel our most important needs are wide receiver, and depth in our defensive backfield. McQuarters is gone (thankfully), so we could use a defensive back that can play a little in nickel and dime packages, as well as help out on the return side of things.

As far as the rest of the draft for the Giants...We have depth on both lines, and we have a good set of running backs, even if Ward leaves (Jacobs said he's staying, and we still have Bradshaw, Droughns, and Danny Ware off the bench). Our tight ends are used effectively as they are, and our linebackers are solid up top. What we do need, is a backup quarterback (Carr and Wright are both UFAs), WR depth, LB depth (mostly for special teams), and an extra defensive back. We won't take a QB high, and WRs can always be found in later rounds, leaving DB and LB as our top priorities.

I'd like to see us get an extra punter too. Feagles is going to die on the field one day, I just know it...

If the Lions take Stafford then the city of Detroit will riot. Matt Stafford is very overrated and he was way to up and down in college to warrant being the number one pick. The Lions already have two first round picks and I would not mind them trading down from the one spot to get even more. The Lions first pick needs to be one of the OT's. Either Andre Smith, Jason Smith, or Eugene Moore. Then they need to hope that Manaluga falls to them for their second first round pick.

I can see why Detroit would go with Stafford with the first over all pick, but I'm not sure they have the personel that the Dolphins had, or even the caliber team that the Falcons/Ravens had. Yes, in the last 6 years we have seen more success at first round QB picks, but usually not the first over all pick. Stafford would go to a team where he would be throwing the ball to Calvin Johnson, and that is any young QB's dream.

However with a defensivie minded coach now, I can't see them taking a pick this high, and spending all that money without a strong supporting cast. They don't have a great o-line, d-line, or even secondary. There is free agency, and we could see Haynesworth back with his old defensive coordinator, Schwartz. With that being said there will be other free agents this year at key positions that they could afford. Jordan Gross a LT from Carolina, Peppers also, Bart Scott LB from Ravens, Ashomouga CB from Oakland, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, and possibly a trade offer for one of their 2 picks in the first round.

Therefore I see the Lions taking the best player available, and that has to be Andre Smith. If they don't sign Gross then he is the best player that can make the most of being the first overall pick. Look at the success of other high Left Tackles in previous drafts. Just ask the Dolphins, and the Browns. You need to protect the QB to make plays. The Lions gave up more sacks than anyone else in the league this year. Unless you have Ben Roethlisberger, and the number one defense in the NFL no team can let up that many sacks, and win more games than they lose.

I see the Rams taking Matt Stafford, and that means Bulger has only so much time left to do something worth his stay in St.Louis. The Rams know he is on the downside of his career. The Rams have a better team than what they are. They play in a weak division, and so Stafford could have success early in his career. They have no offense, and yes there o-line is bad, but they still have Steven Jackson who is still a threat even with a mediocre o-line. A franchise QB is not something you pass up on. Stafford could be exactly what this franchise needs. If they can keep some of the offensive tools that they have, then they will be ok with Stafford.

The Chiefs don't need a QB, and I think defense, or an explosive offensive talent will be their main concern. Either the best DE or best WR. I think Crabtree would help an improving Thigpen, and pairing him with Bowe along with Tony might be a great move. Perhaps they could even on the second day look to take Graham Harrel. Think about that for a second. Harrell to Crabtree all over again except it would be in Kansas City.

I can't imagine the Seattle taking a QB because I think Seneca still has some upside. They don't need anything besides another running back. Whoever the best RB is after the combine coming in to this draft should Seattle's first choice. You can't go wrong with a strong RB. Look at Minnesota, and Chicago.

For now I can't see the Browns passing up Chris Wells from Ohio State, but at the same time Penn State's Maybin looks promising. McGinest retired, and they could use a strong ROLB. Maybin was a DE in college, but in the NFL he has the size for LB, and more or less coming off the edge similar to Woodley from the Steelers. Not as big, but after the combine we should see how strong he is. IMO I think he has the most upside of anyone coming in right now. Then again Mangini might not want to make the same mistake as he did last year with Gohlston.

I only did the top 5 because they are the easiest at this point. It is really hard trying to guess who is going to go where because the combine hasn't happened, and teams haven't begun to release or resign players at this point yet. Things won't cook up until after the SuperBowl.

I will pass on the top 10 and I am going straight to the Steelers. They will pick 31st or 32nd depending on the outcome of the Super Bowl. The Steelers are aging on some parts of the defense, and they will lose some players via free agency. Nate Washington will probably sign elsewhere. Which eventually will give Sweed ( God, we're fucked) a chance. McFadden will sign elsewhere because we wont pay him that type of money. Unless he takes a pay cut, which is highly unlikely because he had a very good year this year. We also have William Gay, who looks to be a good CB for years to come. Townsend will retire giving the Steelers some holes in the secondary. Also, the Steelers have a shaky line, so they need to add depth on the line. Either taking the best one available, or going with a "need".

So, i believe the Steelers will go with line help or CB help with our first pick. We have eight so i think we'll address our Offensive Line, our defensive line, specifically on the ends, our secondary, specifically a nickel or dime cornerback, a receiver late in the draft, and possibly another running back.

Can't say I agree totally on the Steeler situation. I agree that the secondary could be on shaky groung, but the problem is the offensive line. I would even say that the defensive line is more of an issue than the secondary. You must never forget that we have Taylor, and Polamalu.

Remember that we have $ 25,000,000 under the cap. The main guys we will be looking to sign are as follows. Max Starks, Marvel Smith, Kemeaotu, McFadden, and Nate Washington. Granted we won't sign all of those men because should we win the championship those players are going to feel as though they deserve the big paycheck. I don't know any of these men personally, and I don't want to jump the gun on them. However I do feel that money will be an issue with players like Washington.

I do feel that Marvel Smith will be returning with the Steelers. He hasn't started 16 games consistently in a long time. He is also 31 yrs old with 10 yrs in the league. Those two combined aren't going to give him a huge offer from other teams unless they are desperate. I would be surprised to see Starks here, but then again he was the starting LT for one of the worse pass protecting offensive line this season. Who would want to just throw him money?

I do see the Steelers resigning LG Kemeaotu, and Bryant McFadden. McFadden is going to be a keeper mainly due to Townsend's position with the team. William Gay seems to be a solid CB, but I don't know that he is a McFadden type CB. McFadden is still young, and it would be foolish not to lock this guy up for the next 5 years. They have the cap space. However if they can sign, or compete for someone like Jordan Gross then no, I don't think McFadden is worth keeping. As long as we have strong pressure on the QB with Harrison/Woodley we won't need to keep such great Cornerbacks.

I do feel that we will be picking 32nd overall. With that pick I imagine the Steelers taking the very best player available. Just like they did last year with Mendenhall. Colbert never disappoints me. Colbert was the reason the Lions were a winning team at one point in their NFL existence.

Having the last pick probably means your are not going to get who you really want, but I would bet just like any other team they have a list of choices. At this point it is really hard to say who they are even thinking of picking mainly because the combine hasn't happened yet, or pro days at the universities of those players. All I can say is that if Tyson Jackson. He is the perfect DE for a 3-4 defense. At 6-5 300 lbs he is perfect, and could easily start at RE over Keisel.

Yes, it is easy to rip Limas Sweed because I know I have. He drops the deep passes. Don't forget that he has caught passes as well. He hasn't even been thrown to more than a dozen or so times. Remember he didn't see much playing time, and that has huge impact on a player. I questioned the Steelers move on not having him on the field. I wonder if he was ever 100% coming in to the season after he was drafted. Anyhow, I will say that as much as he has made me cuss a storm, I will say that he has positives.

Again we can't say too much about him because he hardly played. I like how Sweed gets seperation from the defensive back. I haven't seen a WR with his size in Pittsburgh explode deep so easily. Yes, he may have dropped many wide open deep passes, but at the same time you have to give him credit for being so OPEN! If the man could just catch he is going to be something special. Don't forget the man you said would be collecting some money in the offseason, Nate Washington couldn't catch very well early in his career either. He still has problems pulling in passes. Everyone said Timmons was a bust last year because he was hurt, and didn't play much. Now look at what he did this season, 5 sacks and he doesn't start.

I see the Steelers winning the SuperBowl this Sunday. Then in the offseason taking care of the offensive line, and hopefully cutting some fat off the team. They will have a good draft, and I think this will be a balanced draft for them. Next season's schedule looks so easy compared to this year. They are going to the SuperBowl next year as well, and starting a second Dynasty team. Thus, making NFL history! Here we go Steelers!

Being a Lions fan if the Lions take Stafford or any other QB with the first pick Im gonna puke. We need either an Offensive lineman or a Defensive tackle. Well obviously we need more than that but I think those are our two biggest weaknesses. To me Stafford just has "Joey Harrington" written all over him if he comes here. Now if there was a sure fire cant miss QB in this class like how Peyton Manning was out of college I wouldnt be opposed to it because sooner or later were gonna need to get one but I dont think Stafford or Sanchez are that QB. They are basically the top 2 QBs by default. So as it stands I would rather us trade down or pick Andre Smith with the first pick.

I agree the Lions have more pressing needs than at Quarterback, but they need to take one to show that they're past Millen running the franchise in to the ground.

I don't think it should be Stafford though. They need a Quarterback that displays leadership and field presence, and Orlovsky has neither. Running through your own end zone is the biggest no-no a Quarterback can make. I'd take Sanchez first, and then deal with the Offensive, and Defensive, line issues later in the draft.

With Kevin Smith and Charles Johnson at your other two skill positions, your set at the top, so you can worry about running backs through free agency, and Wide Receiver depth in the 3rd or 4th rounds. A Tight End should also be a possibility later, or possibly out of the undrafted pool.

If you can solidify the offensive troubles, your defense will be improved by simply not being on the field for 45 minutes, and they won't always be trying to smother the opposing offense to keep the team in it. Breathing room is the best thing a defense can have.

Linebacker is probably where Detroit is most set on defense, and if Bodden can bounce back, the only position that is a definite need is the line. Your second pick should be either a run stuffing Defensive Tackle, or a quarterback-chasing Defensive End.

If all else fails, just draft 2 punters...For when the first one's leg falls off ;)

I agree the Lions have more pressing needs than at Quarterback, but they need to take one to show that they're past Millen running the franchise in to the ground.

Taking a qb won't show they're past Millen. Making any smart pick will show that, and a QB first overall is not a good pick when Stafford and Sanchez are your choices. Daunte Culpepper can be the starter for another year, especially with talent like Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith.

Linebacker is probably where Detroit is most set on defense,

Actually that is probably the worst part of their defense. They have Ernie Sims and that's it. No one else in their linebacking corp would be starting on other teams. Their secondary is ok especially at safety, but they need one more starting corner to go opposite Bodden. Their D line is ok at the d end spot, but their defensive tackles are horrible.

They need an O tackle first, then a middle linebacker with their second first round pick. Hopefully Manaluga is still on the board. In the second round I actually wouldn't mind seeing them take a QB like Josh Freeman because he has huge upside and Culpeppper would be the perfect mentor for him.

Taking a qb won't show they're past Millen. Making any smart pick will show that, and a QB first overall is not a good pick when Stafford and Sanchez are your choices. Daunte Culpepper can be the starter for another year, especially with talent like Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith.

Culpepper could start, but if you're going to start re-building this year, it needs to happen this year. You can't get a roster together, and expect them to gel, if you're going to change the quarterback in the off-season, and everyone knows it. Sanchez is the best Quarterback that could be picked that early, and has the leadership skills that Leinart lacked coming out of USC.

Actually that is probably the worst part of their defense. They have Ernie Sims and that's it. No one else in their linebacking corp would be starting on other teams. Their secondary is ok especially at safety, but they need one more starting corner to go opposite Bodden. Their D line is ok at the d end spot, but their defensive tackles are horrible.

They need an O tackle first, then a middle linebacker with their second first round pick. Hopefully Manaluga is still on the board. In the second round I actually wouldn't mind seeing them take a QB like Josh Freeman because he has huge upside and Culpeppper would be the perfect mentor for him.

Ernie Sims can be a beast at Linebacker, if they have a line in front of him to slow down some blockers. That's enough to make me think they need to solidify the trenches. Games are won and lost on the line, and you can't build a defense around an OK secondary, or a middling linebacking corps. Putting some run-stuffers and pass-rushers will instantly make the linebackers better.

I'm a Giants fan, and I'll admit that our linebackers aren't the best, but no one knows it, because of the line we put in front of them. It makes their job easier if they don't need to stop every running play, or bat down every pass.

but if you're going to start re-building this year, it needs to happen this year. You can't get a roster together, and expect them to gel, if you're going to change the quarterback in the off-season, and everyone knows it. Sanchez is the best Quarterback that could be picked that early, and has the leadership skills that Leinart lacked coming out of USC.

Just because a team is rebuilding it doesn't mean they have to do it with a rookie QB. The Dolphins were supposed to be a rebuilding team but look what they did by starting Pennington over Henne. I don't think that will happen with the Lions, but I just don't think Sanchez or Stafford are good enough to be a franchise QB. Stafford was way to up and down, and Sanchez only started one year. I do like Sanchez over Stafford, but I still think they need O line and defensive help more and they can still get a good qb like Freeman in the second round.
Ernie Sims can be a beast at Linebacker, if they have a line in front of him to slow down some blockers.

Ernie Sims is already a beast, but you can't win with one good linebacker. They definitely need D tackle help to, but it's a lot easier to find a good veteran 300 pound d tackle in free agency then it is to find a linebacker. The need to give Sims help and Manaluga would be perfect. The Lions also have some solid pass rushers already in Dewayne White and Cliff Avril.

Reactions: NSL
Just because a team is rebuilding it doesn't mean they have to do it with a rookie QB. The Dolphins were supposed to be a rebuilding team but look what they did by starting Pennington over Henne. I don't think that will happen with the Lions, but I just don't think Sanchez or Stafford are good enough to be a franchise QB. Stafford was way to up and down, and Sanchez only started one year. I do like Sanchez over Stafford, but I still think they need O line and defensive help more and they can still get a good qb like Freeman in the second round.

If, after the combine, there looks to be a credible choice at Quarterback available in the late first, or early second, rounds, then by all means they can wait to take a Quarterback. I agreed already that they need offensive lineman, and defensive linemen, first, but those can be found in the later rounds, and can cost less. You don't have to have a rookie to re-build, but to re-build, you can't change Quarterbacks mid-stream. Culpepper will either be a dud, or be gone by the following season, so they're better off with drafting the best rookie for their team, or going via free agency for a guy like Matt Cassel, if he's available. David Carr is also available, and could be worth a shot as a back-up, since he did pretty will in New York with learning the system and being available.

Ernie Sims is already a beast, but you can't win with one good linebacker. They definitely need D tackle help to, but it's a lot easier to find a good veteran 300 pound d tackle in free agency then it is to find a linebacker. The need to give Sims help and Manaluga would be perfect. The Lions also have some solid pass rushers already in Dewayne White and Cliff Avril.

They may be solid pass-rushers, but they're obviously not tops in the league. They need at least one dominate player on the line to take some pressure off the linebackers by drawing double-teams.

The dolphins are a perfect example of why you don't build a team with a QB. You get pieces surrounding the quarterback position then you draft a QB. Once your line figures out how to block, and once your wide receivers become reliable then it is time to get the franchise QB. A QB can't perform well if he isn't protected so i think the Lions should trade down and start with an offensive lineman.

Daunte Culpepper is a seasoned veteran and i believe he is still "decent" enough to start for a team like the Lions. Culpeppers best years were in Minnesota when he had Moss to throw the ball too. Calvin Johnson should act as his new moss, and smith will be his old smith ( coincidence?).

The Lions have much bigger concerns, like both lines, so i think they should draft Offensive lineman, then work on their defensive line, because a good D Line can change a game. Yeah, the good ol' Jimmie Johnson approach. Besides, they'll suck next year, and they could easily draft Bradford, who i think will make an excellent QB in the NFL under the right system.

Just look at my Steelers. They drafted all the pieces, then they finally finished the puzzle with a franchise quarterback...

They may be solid pass-rushers, but they're obviously not tops in the league. They need at least one dominate player on the line to take some pressure off the linebackers by drawing double-teams.

Dominate players don't grow on trees. They can't just pick some defensive end in the draft and expect him to be Dwight Freeney. The Lions are so bad they need to fix their disaster areas. The Lions defensive has one or two great players, a few ok players, and the rest are garbage. They need to replace the garbage before they get elite players to replace the ok players. Getting an amazing defensive end isn't going to turn Paris Lenon and Ryan Nece into great linebackers. It might help a little, but a more helpful thing would be to get better linebackers to go with Sims, and then you can focus on getting elite players.

By the way if the Lions could somehow get Julius Peppers to come to Detroit that would be amazing. Because Peppers wants out of Carolina, but I doubt he would leave if the Lions were his destination.

By the way if the Lions could somehow get Julius Peppers to come to Detroit that would be amazing. Because Peppers wants out of Carolina, but I doubt he would leave if the Lions were his destination.

Peppers would be a great pick-up for any team. I've heard rumors that KC is interested, and Detroit is probably a better destination then them, based on division alone. Peppers would have a feast on Rodgers, and whoever Chicago and Minnesota decide to start next season.

Peppers would be a great pick-up for any team. I've heard rumors that KC is interested, and Detroit is probably a better destination then them, based on division alone. Peppers would have a feast on Rodgers, and whoever Chicago and Minnesota decide to start next season.

Yeah, he'd be on a shitty team but his numbers would be through the roof. He put up huge numbers in a great division going up against good quarterbacks. He would own the NFC North qbs.

Seattle: Just because they had a run on injuries at the WR position doesn't mean they need to go out and draft a rookie. The injury bug doesn't "skip" rookies, and it's not like every WR from college jumps directly into being a huge NFL WR either. So I think this is a bad decision as well.

What? It's not just the run on of injuries at the receiver position, they don't have a playmaker. Crabtree is a playmaker and a complete beast and easily the best WR prospect (along with CJ) since Larry Fitz, why pass that up? Mediocre scrubs like Koren Robinson (sucks), Nate Burleson (sucks, and just tore his ACL) and Deion Branch (injury prone), to go along with a fossil like Bobby Engram (who's a free agent anyway, I believe) isn't going to get you very far.

Plus, Crabtree has Hasselbeck to work with. That's something that could help him loads in getting his career off to a fast start.

Seattle is in desperate need of a RB. Morris, Jones, and whoever else they had.. none of them fit well. They kept switching in and out throughout the whole season. I say bring in Shonn Greene from Iowa.

They aren't really "desperate" considering the running game was at least average in that horrid offense. But yeah, they do need another RB.

So you're saying go with something else in the first round, and get Greene in the 2nd since they have the #5 pick? Sounds good too me. He's not a first round back and probably 4th on the board at best behind Beanie Wells, Moreno, and McCoy.

But then again, they have another fossil in Jones. They'll prolly go offensive line.

I would be suprised if the Seahawks even kept their top pick mainly due to their cap situation. They have hardly any money under the cap. It will be very hard trying to sign a top 5 pick. I'm betting a ton of players will be released, Bobby Engram, David Patten, Hasselbeck, and maybe an offensive lineman or two. Either that they will will trade down with Tampa, and so Tampa picks up Stafford or Sanchez, and thus try to copy what the Ravens did. Basically asking a quality QB to maintain the game, while the defense controls the game. It seems to be the trend.

Tampa has the money, as they will enter the free agency with possibly the most money in the league. They will be able to handle the money given for a top 5 pick. Also, don't forget that the Seahawks will still have a quality pick while at the same time saving millions in the long run. Seneca Wallace actually has place some very solid numbers as the backup. He is the type of QB that Mora will like. I doubt we will see Seattle going after a QB in the first round. Trading down, and if any of the top RB's are available they will, or should take.

Then again depending who they cut in the offseason will determine how much money they will spend. If they cut some fat to make some butter, then I'm sure it will be for a good reason like signing Brandon Jacobs, or Marion Barber both of whom will be free agents mark my words. Should that happen I would expect to see Seattle taking an offensive lineman. The line is old, and that is where the game is won.

I want to throw out another pick. I think the Cleveland Browns will drat Beanie Wells. They need that final offensive spot filled. They have Quinn, Edwards, and Winslow. All they really need is a solid future RB. If they decide to take on in free agency, then I can't imagine them passing up on either the best Safety, or Cornerback in the draft at that point. They have no real names in their secondary. Malcom Jenkins?

If they cut some fat to make some butter, then I'm sure it will be for a good reason like signing Brandon Jacobs, or Marion Barber both of whom will be free agents mark my words.

Brandon Jacobs is a free agent, but the Giants are going to throw an absurd amount of money at him to keep him, which is perfectly logical. The Giants backs that will be elaving however, are Derrick Ward and Reuben Droughns.

Ward has a chance at staying though, as Brandon Jacobs has said through local media that he would take less to stay in New York, if they were willing to re-sign Ward as well. If Ward does leave, he'll go to another team where he can have the exact same role he already had. If Tomlinson leaves San Diego, I could see Ward ending up there as a back-up to Darren Sproles. He could also end up in Philadelphia as a back-up to Westbrook, or in Detroit, as a back-up to Kevin Smith.

Reuben Droughns has had a 1,000 yard season, and was an important cog on the special teams unit. I doubt he'll be retained, and could be offered a decent amount to work as a 3rd running back and special teamer for a quality team such as New England, Cincinatti, or Green Bay.

I would be shocked if Curtis Painter from Purdue isn't starting on Sundays come next season. I think he may turn out something similar to Flacco, or Ryan. He seems to be the most nfl ready QB in this draft. Everything about him says he can play on Sundays. He has the size, footwork, accuracy, arm strength, and field vision. He shattered all the passing records at Purdue, and the last QB to come out of Purdue, and make a splash would be none other than the most prolific passer of the season Drew Brees. Brees is a household name amongst fantasy football players.

After the combine, and perhaps a Purdue pro day Painter may fall in to the first round similar to how Flacco got in. Most of the attention is clearly on the other two QB's, but I think if Painter lands on the right team we could see a star born. With all that being said, and he shows up at the combine he could be a first round pick. In the end I can see three teams interested in him should he be projected 1st round.

1) Buffalo- They don't have a franchise QB. Losman failed them miserably. They have a solid defense, and I think Painter could be a valuable pick at this selection. The Bills are in need of a young franchise QB. They have a solid group of WR's, and they will be entering free agency with a little under 30 million to spend. Last years dismal fade hurt the team, and it was because Trent Edwards isn't the franchise, or the future of the team. I can't imagine that if Painter has a solid combine with, and his stock jumps the Bills passing up on him.

2) New York Jets- Yes, another AFC East team for Painter to be drafted by. They will have a strong defense now that Ryan is their. This means they will just need a QB who can manage the game. They to need a franchise QB, and if Painter is on the board I can't why you would let him go. They have a solid offense, and the offensive line is perfectly suited for a QB to have time. Painter has legs unlike Favre, and I think whatever plays Favre couldn't make Curtis could. With a running game to help I can't see why taking a franchise QB would be a bad move for them.

3) Vikings- It seems like a QB is all they need to be a SuperBowl contender. They already have the best RB in the NFL. The offensive line is amazing, and they have a solid blend of wideouts. Painter would be a perfect fit for this team. The defense their is dominating, and again they would be looking for a QB to just maintaing the game similar to Flacco. Peterson could carry much of the load, and I think taking a franchise QB while having the best rushing attack in football makes near perfect sense.

Honestly I think Painter would fit perfect in Minnesota. Peterson is a beast, and so is their defense. Those are the perfect tangibles to have when selecting a franchise QB. Look at the Ravens, and Steelers. Both teams known for their defenses, and rushing attacks. Minnesota is in the same boat, and I think this is the year for the Vikings to make the move.

This is the official thread for all the discussions about the 2009-10 NFL season ranging from training camps, pre-season, the regular season, playoffs, and the superbowl. So please keep all your NFL related discussions in here if it deals with training camps, pre-season, the regular season, playoffs, and the superbowl.

So I read on nfl.com that Drew Rosenhaus sent out a press release to all NFL teams that he has 3 major WR agents, looking to be traded. That trio would be; Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, and Plaxico Burress.

While this is looking to be the start of yet another off-season cry-baby fest between Johnson & the Bengals, I have to admit I believe Boldin & Purress will find new homes. And as a result, at least for Boldin, I generally think whomever he goes to, may make the playoffs if all they need is a second great WR.

Burress needs to truly be lucky he's even still IN the N.F.L., and on that note more of the top Giant's players want him to return, yet he wants to be a dick and get out. I fail to see why, after they've truly been more graceful to him, than he has to them.

Boldin has always felt like the #2 guy who'll never equal the amount of money Fitzy is making, and Fitz has even mentioned being willing to shave down his earnings just to attempt getting Boldin to stay. Add onto that, that Warner made the statement a huge part on whether he'll return or retire will be based on Boldin's decision to stay or leave. That's pretty much making Boldin look like a bad guy for wanting out, and I think that's bullshit.

Chad Johnson hasn't yet received his "out" from the Bengals. I think now it's more punishment than anything. I mean, it's not like they haven't likely had a good enough offer to send him and his drama elsewhere. I think this is their personal punishment to him, to make him suffer throughout the long-term deal he originally signed.

In the end though, I have to personally hope somewhere in this field of hopes and dreams Carolina could possibly land one of these three, albeit I'd rather not have Burress. :lmao: In actuality though, I doubt Carolina even plays for any of them. A.) They don't have anything to play with, and B.) Carolina has been in firm belief that Steve Smith is all the need at WR to be dominate. :rolleyes:

Guess I will just start from the top. Right now it seems as though many in Detroit may actually be behind Culpepper right now. It sounds odd, but apparently this is the case. I was a Culpepper fan, and I think if his supporting cast is strong he will win games. His supporting cast doesn't look great heading in to the 09-10 season. The Lions have some money, and that works in their favor. There are some key free agents in this year's offseason. Word broke out from Rosenhaus's mouth that his 3 WR's want traded.

The Lions have 2 first round picks this year. They could easily offer their second pick from the first for any one of those hot WR's. Pairing them with Calvin Johnson could be astonoshing. Remember this is a team whom only a year ago started their first 8 games 6-2. This team went out, and found a new headcoach. They say that new faces bring in familiar faces. If that holds true we might see one of the best interior defensive linemen in the NFL today Albert Haynesworth.

Albert could easily change the scope of that defense. If they can bring in someone like Lito Sheppard, Albert Haynesworth, and Chad Johnson this team could make a run for the playoffs. Even with just Albert, and Lito this could be a solid team. That would leave them with two first round picks still. With the number one overall pick in this year's draft I would imagine that they play it safe, and take the best LT available. That would mean placing last year's first round pick Gosder Cherilus over to LG, RG, or perhaps RT. Either way with those two on the ends that line could maintain, and produce.

With the second pick I can see the Lions going after either the best LB, or even defensive end to go alongside Haynesworth. Schwartz should bring a strong emphasis on defense, as it won the SuperBowl this year. I wouldn't be surprised if this defense has Haynesworth this season. With that being said adding a strong defensive lineman like Tyson Jackson, or even a linebacker like Ray Mamaluga in the first round would be sending a message. They have all these new faces, and if done right there is not a single reason why the Lions can't be in the playoffs next year. Afterall the Dolphins did it.

Everyone keeps talking about the Bengals, and the WR situtation. Then I just laugh because Carson Palmer doesn't need the best WR's in the NFL he makes them great. Anyone who watches him knows Palmer knows that he was in the same league as Manning just seasons ago, remember he is a former NFL MVP. I don't think Bengals fans should be worried at all about either TJ or CJ. Both are great, but this team should be focusing on DEFENSE. Think about it. Just have some good receivers for Palmer to throw to, and we can all agree that TJ/CJ are more than just good. Let them go, but not after making some moves first.

First franchise tag TJ, and push him towards a trade. No one will trade two first round picks for him, but then again if the Eagles want him enough they might trade off their two picks to the Bengals. I'm not entirely sure if TJ being traded would cost 2 first round picks. CJ wants out, and I'm sure they could trade him off as well. He is easily worth a second round pick, and early to boot. I'm thinking a possible trade with Seattle for a second round pick, and a 6th round pick.

This would place the Bengals in a position to acquire some money through the moves I suggested earlier. Right now with none of what I said happening the Bengals have just over 30 million to spend. That puts them into a competitive position. What they do in free agency could be crucial to their season, and their franchise for years to come. They need to protect the QB, and build a good defense. Notice I said "good" because good is all they need. This offense with a healthy Carson Palmer, and no disturbances like CJ this team could get in to the playoffs.

I'm not sure how big of a splash this team will look to make in the offseason. If at some point the GM their is considering wiping the slate clean, and letting go of the two most productive WR's in the game today then so be it. Just don't do it without getting what they are worth. TJ is wanted by perhaps half the teams in the NFL possibly more. CJ's contract isn't up, but if he doesn't want to stay this could be the year he is dealt.

If the Bengals go out, and get a player like Julius Peppers, or even Chris Canty or someone they could build the defense around this team will win 10 games next season. Rivers should be the LB of the future. The have an ok defensive line, and I'm sure if they can add to it they will. What they need on defense is another top notch linebacker. They should trade up, and look into drafting Curry from Wakeforest. He, and Rivers could be something in the next few years.

Even then if there are any strong linebackers in free agency someone like Johnanthan Vilma from the Saints I'm betting the Bengals would be looking to sign a player like Vilma. If they should land a star linebacker like this to fit their 4-3 scheme he would be their best bet. If that is the case I would think that they would stay at the spot they are at now, and look to draft an offensive tackle. It is a safe move, and protecting the QB will be part of their plan this year.

What is going on with the Carolina Panthers, and Peppers? Honestly, I can see why Peppers is worth two first round picks. There are only two teams with 2 picks this year the Eagles, and Lions. Maybe the Chiefs once they trade LJ, but for now the teams are Philly, and Detroit. I can't see either of these teams taking Peppers over two first round picks. Then again if Detroit grabs Haynesworth, and then trades for Peppers we could be looking at one of the most dominant defensive lines in the game today this 2009 season. Peppers, and Haynesworth would be something to worry about. Bottom line is Peppers won't be in black, silver, and blue next year.

If the Peppers does become a free agent, and isn't tagged I'm sure every team in the NFL will want him(except the Steelers). I can see him going two palces. First, being Tampa Bay. I can't imagine him not wanting to play against his old team, and beating them. Would be something of "look at what you let go". Peppers would fit well with Gaines Adams. The other team would be Arizona. Defense was a problem all regular season. They should have players on that front 4 that may leave due to free agency as well. That means a strong presence will be needed, and Peppers would love to play for a team who beat his former team, and went to the big game.

The Chiefs are more than likely going to trade off LJ, and I think that will leave them with two picks again this year. This is a team who should be looking to make an impact in free agency as well. They come into the offseason with just under 46 million. That means they will become potential buyers in this years big time free agency class. Who knows maybe they will land TJ Houshmanzadeh, or Boldin. If money talks in the favor of the Chiefs we could see one of two of those WR's playing in red, and yellow this 09 season. Bowe already proved that he is a reliable player. Adding Boldin, or perhaps TJ would help especially if stars like LJ, and Gonzalez are gone.

That would leave them with money for free agency, and money to keep two first round picks. May I also add that they may be in a situation to tag Tony, and ask for a third first round pick. We could see a situation between the Patriots, and the Chiefs in which Gonzalez is dealt to the Pats for Cassels, and some money which the Chiefs would be forced to give up in exchange for Matt. However I think the word in Kanasas City is that they may just let Tony go to free agency.

I wouldn't rule out the Chiefs looking to trade for 3 first round picks. With Pioli in KC as the new GM it wouldn't surprise me if a deal for Cassels is in the future. The Chiefs as it stands today are second in the NFL in terms of cap space. That isn't even including Tony/LJ gone from the team. If the Chiefs can somehow pull off three picks this year in the first round I would think that they dedicate 2 of those 3 picks to a starving defense. Free agency has to be done right, and with Pioli I think this is the year the Chiefs may make some key moves.

A CB like Lito Sheppard, or Ahsmouga would be nice for any team, but especially the Chiefs. A shut down CB from a divisional team wouldn't be bad either. Nhadi Ashmouga proved that he is one of the best at his position. It is still early to say who will be out there in terms of LB's, but if someone like Suggs is available I'm sure he will be looked at as well. Possibly being in a position to have two first round picks again this year would be nice for the Chiefs. With their first pick being so high I wouldn't be surprised if they took either the best LT available, or best defensive end. If Curry is there I would be shocked if they passed on him.

Speaking of the Patriots they are getting old fast on defense, and not so very young on offense. Brady will still be a competitive QB, and keep them as leaders of the AFC East. Which means they won't need to keep Cassels for the millions that they tagged him for. They obviously want to deal off Matt, and they will. There are 3 teams I think may want to take up on Cassels as a starter. First, I think the Bucs are in a position to either take a QB either through the draft or in FA.

They could easily give up such a late pick for someone like a proven Matt Cassels. He is still young, and played for a great team. As of now the Bucs have the most money in cap space. They have a new GM, and Headcoach. This team is looking for a new direction. This could be the direction that they are going. Next, I would have to say the Chiefs. As I said earlier they will be one of the busiest teams this offseason. Pioli is a GM genius, and New England knows this. Who better to deal off Matt to?

The Chiefs like Thigpen, but Cassels is better. This team has the money, and they will spend it on Matt. My last pick for the hunt of Matt Cassels could be the Cardinals. If is a longshot, but if they lose Warner they don't want to depend on Leinart. Arizona has the next last pick in the draft, so giving this up wouldn't be a bad move. They have the money as well.

New England ends up either way with two first round picks. Both picks will be later in the draft, but that doesn't mean anything. They don't look to bad for cap space as they are in the middle of the pack should they deal off Matt. They could make a strong move at a player like Bart Scott, or even Lito Sheppard. Coming in to the draft with a possible two picks I can see them takin both defensive postion needs. Which are a safety, and LB. If they can get someone to pair up with their rookie LB sensation from last year then this defense will be looking up with youth.

The Cardinals face some tough spots as well. Will Warner come back? Will Leinart turn out to be like another Drew Brees, and just turn in to a star QB by his 5th year? Remember that the Chargers let Brees go because they drafted Rivers, but Brees had a pro bowl year that year as well. Could this be the fate of Leinart. I say no, and it is mainly due to the relationship between he, and the Whiz. That is why I think the Cardinals may be a team that could deal off a first round pick for Matt Cassels. If not they end up with Matt Leinart.

Who knows maybe they stick with Leinart, and he turns out to be a consistent QB with a ten win season? Should this happen I think the Cards will keep their first round pick. Then in FA look to make some moves. If Peppers is out their I would imagine that they make a move to signing him, or even a player like Terrel Suggs. Suggs played for Arizona St. I can't imagine this team letting stars from their front 4 leave. Whisenhunt came from a Rooney/Cowher system, and I think he will push to keep his defensive free agents before someone like Boldin. That being said I think the Cards take the best LB or CB in the draft.

What is going on with the Carolina Panthers, and Peppers? Honestly, I can see why Peppers is worth two first round picks. There are only two teams with 2 picks this year the Eagles, and Lions. Maybe the Chiefs once they trade LJ, but for now the teams are Philly, and Detroit. I can't see either of these teams taking Peppers over two first round picks. Then again if Detroit grabs Haynesworth, and then trades for Peppers we could be looking at one of the most dominant defensive lines in the game today this 2009 season. Peppers, and Haynesworth would be something to worry about. Bottom line is Peppers won't be in black, silver, and blue next year.

If the Peppers does become a free agent, and isn't tagged I'm sure every team in the NFL will want him(except the Steelers). I can see him going two palces. First, being Tampa Bay. I can't imagine him not wanting to play against his old team, and beating them. Would be something of "look at what you let go". Peppers would fit well with Gaines Adams. The other team would be Arizona. Defense was a problem all regular season. They should have players on that front 4 that may leave due to free agency as well. That means a strong presence will be needed, and Peppers would love to play for a team who beat his former team, and went to the big game.

In complete honesty, speaking as a Carolina Panther fan. I don't believe Carolina is just going to willingly watch one of their best Defensive Players just "walk away" into Free Agency, especially when they can tag him and bag him. :lmao:

Last year, it was Jordan Gross who was upset about being tagged. Now, he's apparently willing to work out a long-term contract because all he wanted, was to get the O-line working properly. And I think out of everything, the one thing Carolina did this year.. was figure out a decent O-line to have a monster running game.

With that said, we have enough big money to pay one or the other. (Gross or Peppers) Leaving enough left for everything else. I say pay Gross, tag Peppers, then wheel him around to see what you can get.

I mentioned a half-assed joking plan that in reality doesn't seem all that bad. That would be, trade Peppers away for a first round pick, or multiple picks, in next year's draft, including that of a 1st. Then Carolina suddenly has 2 first round picks next year. (assuming we don't fuck up and trade that one away, this year)

After that, forgo this season (and let's face it, you can make it all the way to the Superbowl, but if you don't win, it's a losing season anyways) with possibly getting a top 5 draft pick with your team's pick. With that, land either Sam Bradford or Tim Tebow as your future QB. Hope they become the Matt Ryan to your team, I guess you could say. Then take that 2nd 1st rounder and find a replacement for Peppers. By this time next year, we should be looking sharp.

Of course I'm more than sure NO TEAM is going to willingly lose enough to insure a top 5 draft pick. So, with that said.. I'd possibly look into tagging and trading Peppers for one of the talented WR's that are looking to be dealt. Burress is overrated, and Johnson is a bit of a drama-queen. So I'd say go with Boldin.

Not going to happen. Peppers, and Gross both won't be signed by the Panthers. Otah can replace Gross at Lt, and in free agency they could find a veteran RT. If they keep Gross, and then tag Peppers you can expect the Panthers to trade him off. Yes, Peppers is probably the best player at his position today, but he also deserves that money as well. If you are a Panthers fan how do you pass up gaining two first round picks anyhow?

Have read lately on the issues with taggin Julius? He is worth 2 first round picks if he is tagged. This year, and the next. Who will give up back to back picks? I say nobody will want to gamble that. That is why it is more than likely they will let him go to free agency, and then look sign Gross. If they look to let Gross go, then I can see the Panthers tagging Peppers. They can afford to keep him another year at that tag price.

Moving on now. The Cleveland Browns have to be the silliest team of them all. They could have traded Anderson at the beginning of the season, and he would have been worth a first, and third round pick in this year's draft. Look at what happened to the team's starting QB, and future QB. Both went out with injuries, and the Browns's season went downhill. It wouldn't have mattered who the starter was. They could have been coming in to a draft this year with two picks, and probably high picks in both of those rounds. I would imagine that a team like Detroit, or San Fran could have been choices. Imagine two picks in the top 10 of this years draft.

The Browns could have been walking in to this draft with hopes of truly rebuilding their defense. Many are saying that the Browns will take Antwan Curry ILB from Wake Forest. Hell, they could have been looking at a number one over all pick this year had they traded Anderson to Detroit. If you are a Browns fan who would you pick for number one overall? If I was a Browns fan, and I'm not I would surely take the best RB on the board. That is all the offense is missing is a legit RB. Perhaps Moreno?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back