• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Next World Title Contender

Who would you RATHER see as the next World Title contender

• McIntyre

• Ziggler

• Chuck Polumbo

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tired0FthePeople

Defender of the Universe
After watching SD just now, it got me thinking about Ziggler and The Chosen One. Both of them have looked stronged as IC champion. Now that Morrison is going on to challenge for the WWE title, between McIntyre and Ziggler,

1. Which one do you think will get to challenge edge for the title first.
2. Which one do you like better and why?
3. Which one do you think will be a bigger star this time in the next year or two?

It would make more since from a story line perspective for Ziggler to drop the belt to Kofi and get to challenge Edge first for the World Title. I say this because Ziggler has had a couple of matches with Cena and seems to be getting the rub. Plus, vicky would bring tremendous heat to a potential feud with Edge. All that said, I like Drew better. His music and ring entrance is tight as shit. He has a better look and portrays the 'vicious' heel very naturally. I know he sucks on the mic right now but I dont particularly care about shit like that. Drew can get heat as a heel just by being who he is in the ring, even though fans may be more into a Ziggler match because of Vicky. Im not sure which one of them would be the bigger star in the next year or two in WWE (if they are both still there) but you cant be a star in the E with shitty mic skills unless you wrestle like Chris Benoit and they both have a long way to go to get to that level.

They're setting up Ziggler very strong as a potential challenger down the line for the World Title. Getting to main event against the face of the company and look like you belonged with him in the ring and could have won either match is certainly the rub one needs to take the next step. Ziggler was elevated in both losses for no other reason that he didnt tap out to the STF. Its a misconception, but superstars are generally seen as "weaker" if they submit. In the case of both last night, and tonight, Ziggler was trapped in the STF, and he was allowed an out.

As for a feud with Edge, I think he's going to have to get in line. This was obviously a tryout to see if Ziggler could pass the main event test more then anything, make no doubt about it. And for the most part, he passed with flying colors. But right now, Kane and ADR are ahead of him as heels on the Smackdown brand, but he certainly right now has cemented his place as the #3 heel on the Smackdown brand based on the events of the past two nights. It would also make for an intriguing storyline to watch Vickie's new "boytoy" compete against her former husband for the World Title. But Kane is still the top heel, and ADR has quickly ascended to being the solid #2, so it's a waiting game for Ziggler right now.

As for McIntyre, it looks as if they're rebuilding him slowly. Did he get a dominant win? Sure he did. But it was against Kaval, whose won one match in his 3 months as a "Superstar" within WWE, ironically against Dolph Ziggler. While McIntyre was burying Kaval and hitting on Kelly, Ziggler was main eventing against the face of the company on Smackdown. Im not sure where they're going with him right now as he seems more focused on chasing Kelly then he does on chasing a title. Drew has a nice look and good intensity, but he doesnt have half the ring-skill nor heat that Ziggler has. As evidenced these past two nights, the affiliation with Vickie has done wonders for Dolph in that regard. I think it's fairly obvious whose higher in the pecking order here, and with no offense intended towards Drew, its not even close.

Im really surpised that Alberto Del Rio isnt a option hes good on the stick generates good heat and is overall pretty good and convincing in the ring.

As for Ziggler i'm not so sure he hold the IC belt well and has brought back some much needed legitimacy to the belt, but is he ready for the crown im just not certain at this point. Although I guess its the only route open to him since he seems to have defeated most of the midcard already.

As for Drew he lost alot of momentuem this year and one squash match against Kaval doesnt mean hes on the road back to the World title status that they were prepping him for at the beggining of the year.

I'm not even sure Edge will be world champion when these two will come around to challenge for the championship. Drew seems to be taking some sort of face turn, while it seems as if he's remaining heel. So I'm not counting on him a lot, especially considering he's been doing more or less nothing the past few months, other than a brief tag team championship reign.

Dolph on the other hand could slowly be sliding towards it. I just don't see him loosing the Intercontinental championship just yet. And I don't see him going into the main event scene any time soon either. He's on a roll in the mid-card, but he hasn't had half the talent available for him to establish himself against. There's not a lot of face mid-carders on Smackdown, and I think it hurts him in the end when it comes to pushing him towards something bigger.

Sure he got time with John Cena this week. Which was absolutely awesome, allowing Dolph to look great against a main eventer. At times I even had myself believing Dolph could actually win this, in both matches. This says a lot. But an one week experience with John Cena, versus a whole feud with another main event wrestler. It's two completely different things, and Edge will most likely be busy with someone else for a while, same going for Dolph.

Dolph and it's not even close. Drew is fine, and a decent in-ring wrestler. But Dolph Ziggler has a big future ahead of him. Great in the ring, somewhat mediocre on the microphone but he's getting there, and alongside Vickie, he's getting a lot of heat. Sure it could be credited to him not being over enough to get the heat himself, but I'm sure that can easily change with time for him.

Drew on the other hand, a bit of heat. But nothing major, decent on the microphone and like I said, decent in the ring. But he's nowhere near the level of Dolph Ziggler in terms of how much I enjoy watching him in the ring, as well as in general.

3. Which one do you think will be a bigger star this time in the next year or two?

Hopefully Dolph. He has so much potential, and he's on a roll right now. I could EASILY see him maintaining the position that Chris Jericho had for years. The "lower main-eventer" who you shouldn't sell short at all. The person that could come along and scoop up a win at any given time. Dolph has brutality, and a lot of energy. Something I think will prove to be quite beneficial for him.

On the other hand, Drew? Sure, could be the bigger star. But it kinda requires that they begin pushing him, begin building him again. Dolph is getting the building and the push, Drew isn't. And that's why I hope and think that Dolph will be the bigger star by the end of next year.

It's very difficult to say at this stage. They have Ziggler on a very strong IC run which he is carrying very well imo. He is decent enough on the mic and he is very agile and skilled in the ring. McIntyre IC run was to establish him quickly as big, dominating heel but I think he was pushed down our throats a little - the fans weren't ready for him, and he didn't garner the heat they expected. Credit to him though, he has worked hard over the past few months and he has improved quite a lot - he's selling much better and has get more comfortable with his character. I like the sinister scotsman moniker a lot!

I don't think we should be seeing either of these guys getting there before Del Rio though. The guys main evented at TLC, while Ziggler was on the midcard and McIntyre didn't even feature, so it's definitely about putting things into perspective. Del Rio has over ten years of in ring experience and he looks like he is ready right now - much more ready than Swagger, put it that way.

Ziggler is the one with the momentum though and it looks like they are developing him a route to the main event when he finally drops the title - perhaps to swagger, and then him and kofi can have a shot at the main event, perhaps with kane and mysterio dropping back down the midcard. McIntyre looks like he is on a slow build and they are testing a few things to lighten his gimmick. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win MITB when WM comes around.

Ziggler convenced me for go to the next title contender. He has a very strong potential in the ring and his overall is up to date( like I say) . And Alberto Del Rio doesn't leave back, he's one that his overall is up to date and his heat is full n' when he get furious he do the work perfectly beating his opponent.

Mod note - Stop posting irrelevant pictures with your posts.

I'm really liking Zigglers chances right now. I mean hes looked great in matched against John f'n Cena the number 1 guy in the company. It doesnt get much better then that. Also none of you are mentioning this but I feel like Ziggler has the "look". I cant really explain it but he has this commanding presence about himself, this cockiness that I feel is needed to be a world champion. I honestly dont think the WWE is rushing either of these guys as they have learned from past mistakes. My prediction is that Ziggler along with Brian go on to have very solid and credible mid card runs till wrestlemania where they unify it in a great feud. Ziggler will be world title material maybe in late 2011 while Drew will stay as a contender for the mid card championships and maybe become a contender in 2012 or so.

.. Interesting choices here. Out of these three, I'd have to choose McIntyre. Why? Because Ziggler is great as IC champ, having strong feuds and stealing victories like a world class heel. If he moves up to the M-E picture too fast, it'll destroy him. Reason I chose Drew is because he has less to lose than Ziggler. But all three choices are a bit peculiar. Choices should be Del Rio, Swagger or to keep Edge as a tweener instead of full fledge face, Mysterio.

Ziggler or McIntyre are our only two choices? It won't be either of them for two entirely different reasons.

Dolph Ziggler is too good to be fed to Edge- Ziggler is in no way ready to lift the strap off of Edge. He is doing a tremendous job as the Intercontinental Champ, and has been on fire when it comes to good matches. Putting him in with Edge would probably generate some good matches, but I don't think Ziggler's mic work can match that of Edge, and the only real appeal of that feud would be the fact that Vickie is Dolph's sloppy seconds after Edge finishing her off. Dolph should be involved in the Elimination Chamber, and maybe win MitB at Mania, but not be in the main event title match.

Drew McIntyre is too bad to be in any sort of main event feud- Drew McIntyre has potential as a wrestler. He's decent in the ring, has a fierce look, and a nice song. However, he has managed to take a pretty good heel character and make him boring as sin. He gets no reaction from the live crowd, and gambling on him to draw interest in a title feud would be foolish.

The truth is, Smackdown doesn't need a number one contender until Wrestlemania. Kane is in all likelihood going to challenge Edge at Royal Rumble, and there will be five other guys competing for the belt at Elimination Chamber. Maybe whoever wins the Royal Rumble will challenge Edge at Wrestlemania? Maybe someone from RAW will crossover to challenge Edge for the belt, such as Wade Barrett or CM Punk or maybe even Sheamus.

There's really only one heel on Smackdown that's even remotely ready to challenge Edge for the belt (besides Kane) and that is Del Rio, but I don't know if WWE would want to put him in the main event at their biggest show of the year. I could see them gambling on Del Rio at Summerslam or Survivor Series, but not Mania. Wrestlemania is when the biggest names are supposed to face the biggest names, and Del Rio is not at that level yet.

I believe that the seeds could have potentially been planted this past Monday & Tuesday for Dolph Ziggler in his matches with John Cena. Ziggler looked great against Cena, he looked like a star and a legit competitor against a bit match opponent. Dolph Ziggler has been a great IC champ in my view and has improved by leaps and bounds since winning the title. However, I don't see Ziggler being the next title contender. It's just too soon for him right now.

The WWE seems to be rebuilding and, somewhat, repackaging Drew McIntyre. He displays more personality now, seems more like a cocky heel now rather than a brooding sociopath and talks smack to his opponents in the ring. These are little things but little things can be a big improvement. Since dropping the IC title, McIntyre has also improved overall in my view but he's still not ready.

Del Rio seems to be a viable challenger to me at this point. Aside from Vickie Guerrero, Del Rio probably has the most heat of anybody on SmackDown! at this point. He has tons of charisma and all of his matches, at least for me, have been a lot of fun to watch.

A guy that I personally do think is ready to head to the next level is Kofi Kingston. He's got the goods inside the ring, he's majorly over with the fans, he has a lot of infectious energy, he's got good promo skills even though we hardly hear him speak, he's charismatic and I just think he's ready. I'd love to see him in the WHC picture sometime next year.

A guy that I personally do think is ready to head to the next level is Kofi Kingston. He's got the goods inside the ring, he's majorly over with the fans, he has a lot of infectious energy, he's got good promo skills even though we hardly hear him speak, he's charismatic and I just think he's ready. I'd love to see him in the WHC picture sometime next year.

agreed, i really think he should win mitb next year, his crowd pops are crazy during his matches and always puts on great matches, espicially the dolph and swagger matches. dolph deserves to be moved up as well

After watching SD just now, it got me thinking about Ziggler and The Chosen One. Both of them have looked stronged as IC champion. Now that Morrison is going on to challenge for the WWE title, between McIntyre and Ziggler,

It would make more since from a story line perspective for Ziggler to drop the belt to Kofi and get to challenge Edge first for the World Title. I say this because Ziggler has had a couple of matches with Cena and seems to be getting the rub. Plus, vicky would bring tremendous heat to a potential feud with Edge. All that said, I like Drew better. His music and ring entrance is tight as shit. He has a better look and portrays the 'vicious' heel very naturally. I know he sucks on the mic right now but I dont particularly care about shit like that. Drew can get heat as a heel just by being who he is in the ring, even though fans may be more into a Ziggler match because of Vicky. Im not sure which one of them would be the bigger star in the next year or two in WWE (if they are both still there) but you cant be a star in the E with shitty mic skills unless you wrestle like Chris Benoit and they both have a long way to go to get to that level.

Im in agreement with everything you said about both stars.. he'll I could see a nice triple threat match between ziggler edge and mcintyre for he WHC at the rumble.. maybe have McIntyre win by pinfall on ziggler or the more likely scenario of ziggler pinning McIntyre.

They really need to do something different though.. I can't stand to see kane and mysterio in the title picture much longer! Ugh. Smackdown writers need a good smack upside the head!

Ziggler has a built in storyline with Edge due to his relationship with Vickie, and those matches with Cena were definitely a testing ground for him in which he passed with flying colours.

I can't see McIntyre in the main event anytime soon, he's yet to really get over and really hasn't done much since his IC title reign ended.

However I reckon Del Rio will get the shot at the Rumble, it's always been a good PPV to give a losing test shot to a guy, and Del Rio is the best placed on SD to get such a shot, don't be surprised if he pins Edge in the tag match on SD this week to get the ball rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back