• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New York House Show - 12/17/79 with KB

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
WWF House Show
Date: December 17, 1979
Commentator: Vince McMahon

Back to MSG again for the second of the two house shows I found. This looks like a FAR more interesting card on paper and is definitely more star packed. We’re in the Backlund era by this point and would be for a few more years. For reasons that I’m not sure of the title is vacant or being held up or something due to Bobby Duncum, resulting in a Texas Death Match to decide it here. Let’s get to it.

Larry Zbyszko vs. Bulldog Brower

Larry is on the verge of his biggest career push and I don’t think anyone knew it. Vince touches on Bruno being his trainer and Larry being his only student. Brower is FAT. I mean like Bastian Booger fat. We hit a chinlock about a minute in and stay there for a good long while. This looks far more like the 80s than the other show did.

Zbyszko fights him off but it lasts like 8 seconds as we hit the chinlock again. They hit heads and both are down, I think out of boredom. Brower picks him up for a slam and just falls down, getting pinned with ease. Really that was it?

Rating: F+. Yeah this was bad. It’s less than five minutes long and probably three minutes was chinlock. Brower had been around for along time and was the equivalent of a jobber to the stars at this point. This went absolutely nowhere though and wasn’t any good at all. I have no idea why this was picked for the opener but whatever.

Vince says we’ll be right back and then can be heard saying “all right roll the video for the Japs”. Nice line future boss. After Fink announces some TV stuff you can hear Vince talking about how we need a wide shot etc. This is rather interesting.

Riki Choshu/Seiji Sakaguchi vs. Jojo Andrews/Allen Coage

This is billed as a Japanese tag title match. A few notes here. Choshu is widely considered the man that invented one of the most copied submission moves of all time: the Sharpshooter. Coage is billed as Bad News Allen Coage and would eventually change go by the name Bad News Brown. He’s about three years removed from being the only American heavyweight to medal in judo in the Olympics which I believe has only been done once since.

Choshu and Sakaguchi are actually tag champions here and they are from a Japanese promotion. Officially they were the NWA North American Champions which were the New Japan tag champions while the company was part of the NWA. This would end around 1986 when the IWGP was established. I can’t find any information on Andrews so I’d bet on him being a jobber. Coage (called Brown for the sake of normalcy from here on out) is a damn pimp. Picture Bad News Brown as a pimp and you’ll get why I had to stop for to laugh. He also has an afro.

Choshu and Andrews start. It’s weird seeing Riki this small and young. I can’t get over Brown. He looks NOTHING like what he would be far more famous as. This might as well be called the ethnic stereotype tag match of the night. The fans definitely know the champions fairly well here as they’re very over. Seiji does most of the work for his team as the older veteran since I guess they want Choshu to get experience without wrestling somehow which makes no sense but whatever.

We actually change the camera a few times in here which didn’t happen at all in the previous show. I think I get why this Andrews guy has never been heard of. He’s kind of horrible. Despite having some future stars in it, this is a painfully boring match. The problem is the American team isn’t any good and it’s just a long squash match. Seiji makes Andrews tap to a Boston Crab.

Rating: D-. Like I said the problem here is that this just went on FAR too long as it’s nearly ten minutes and the challengers never got any offense in at all. Boring as hell match that never went anywhere. The two more famous guys were fun to see at such a young age though, which is what makes this worth seeing.

Johnny Rodz vs. Mike Graham

More stuff of guys that are famous for other stuff here. Rodz is famous for being a crazy man in the ring but more famous as a trainer, giving us a ton of ECW guys including Dreamer, Taz and the Dudleys just to name the most famous. Graham is famous for his father, Eddie Graham who ran Championship Wrestling From Florida and is famous for coming up with just about every angle that was ever stolen by other promoters. Neither is much of anything in the ring though so I’m not expecting much here.

Ok either these ropes are really high or the wrestlers are especially short on this show. Everyone is barely shoulders above them. Rodz, the heel, jumps Graham which is apparently his trademark but it gets him nowhere. To my complete lack of shock, this is again boring as hell. It’s a different era though so psychology was far less of a factor back then. This is a mat based match for the most part and it ends there with a figure four from Graham.

Rating: D-. I know the ratings have been low so far but this was just boring beyond belief. I kept waiting on something to happen and then the match was over. Then again it’s only a five minute match between two guys that never did anything in the ring so what was I really supposed to expect? We’re half an hour in so far and nothing has been any good. Maybe this will help.

Hulk Hogan vs. Ted DiBiase

Yeah it’s the same guys you think it is. Hogan is NOTHING yet as he’s just a big muscle head with limited talent in the ring. Well I guess some things never change. He would become Thunder Lips in Rocky 3 a few years later and change his life forever. He even has Freddie Blassie as his manager and a big gold robe here. DiBiase is this young kid that used to have a midcard title but it was stolen by those pesky Brazilians and put into some tournament.

DiBiase is billed from Omaha, Nebraska of all places. This is Hogan’s MSG debut. Hokey smoke this is actually famous then. The inside of the robe is all rainbow colored. Vince is clearly about to orgasm on the spot at the sight of Hogan in tights. Hogan stalls but gets caught in a full nelson. It’s so weird seeing him at 26 and this green. DiBiase is incredibly popular and fast here. I feel like I’m in some parallel universe seeing DiBiase vs. Hogan with DiBiase as an over face.

Now I’ve never been one to make jokes, but Hogan is called the Fabulous One and has a coat with rainbow colors. I doubt this was intentional but it’s funny as all hell by mistake. Ted gets knocked to the floor and Hogan keeps hitting him which is kind of pointless. Hogan hits a legdrop which 8 years later would get you a 30 count but here it’s just a regular move and only gets two.

Hulk reminds me of a muscular Dolph Ziggler. This ends any connections between the two for the rest of time. Hogan puts on a chinlock and the bell rings which confuses everyone so I’m guessing it was accidental. Yeah it must be since the match just keeps going. DiBiase makes a standard comeback but the crowd loves it. A charge misses though and DiBiase passes out in a bearhug. Oddly enough the only two matches that I can think of that have ended like that have both involved Hogan.

Rating: C. Total formula stuff before the formula was written but that’s fine. Both guys were pretty new at this point so it’s not like you could ask for much of them otherwise. How in the world did this match never get a huge build and a huge blowoff 8 years later? Well depending on who you listen to that would be the Honky Tonk Man, but look up some of my other stuff for that since I’m tired of telling that story.

We can hear Vince telling Howard to make an announcement about a guy needing to go to the security office. I love little things like that.

WWF Title: Bob Backlund vs. Bobby Duncum

This is a Texas Deathmatch but I’m not sure if we’re going by what that traditionally means or if it’s just a No DQ match. In a traditional match you pin the guy and they have ten seconds to get up. Think last man standing but you have to pin to get a count started. The President of the WWF, some Japanese guy that I’ve never heard of, holds up the title. Yeah the title is vacant here but for no apparent reason. WWE doesn’t acknowledge the title ever leaving Backlund so it must not have meant much.

It appears that this is just a No DQ match. LONG feeling out period to start as we just wait around for something substantial to happen. Backlund gets a headlock and holds onto that for awhile. So DEADLY. This is a regular match so far as we hit the headlock one more time for fun. Backlund is put together which is really surprising considering how basic he would be known for looking like.

He CRANKS on that thing though and it looks painful if nothing else. The problem is that it’s just a headlock. Backlund goes over the top and over the rail as this picks up some much needed steam. No count outs either here. And then a sunset flip ends this. WHAT THE HELL? That’s it??? The crowd pops like crazy but I have no idea why as this was REALLY boring.

Rating: D-. As a regular match this was pretty good but as a deathmatch this is about as close to a failure as you can get without being one. The pop of the crowd is the only reason I popped it up a bit. The big spot was a backdrop over the top rope. I have no idea why this was supposed to be a big deal but it just didn’t work at all. Very reminiscent of the Taker vs. Punk HIAC match. If it was a regular match it would have been decent but as a HIAC match it was horrible.

Backlund is given the belt that he never lost.

NWF Title: Antonio Inoki vs. Great Hossein

This is like the Japanese tag titles earlier with the NWF Title being the primary title for NJPW in the early days. Hossein is more commonly known as the Iron Sheik and I’ll be referring to him as such here out of instinct. Sheik does his anti-American thing which is more or less verbatim as to what he would use in his more famous character. Inoki is completely dominating here as Sheik can’t even land a punch or anything close to it.

Inoki throws on the weakest armbar I can remember in a long time and Sheik gets his first offense in with a slam that gets him absolutely nowhere. He throws on a leg lock but Vince says this isn’t s submission hold for no apparent reason. Holy crap the heel is taking over a bit, albeit with incredibly generic offense. The fans think Iran sucks.

Well that offense didn’t last long as here comes Inoki again. Sheik actually hits a dropkick and not a bad one at that. He goes for an abdominal stretch which looks like some fucked up way of trying to humble Inoki. I’ve always wondered about that and why he’s so obsessed with the idea of it. Vince says this has been even which is ridiculous but whatever. Inoki gets a nice sunset flip into a modified Sharpshooter in a nice combination.

Inoki tries to take the boot off of Sheik because it might be loaded up. I never got this part of Sheik but whatever. He gets it off and Sheik is in a boot and a sock. The boot is loaded with something apparently. Inoki is busted open from a shot with it. And then the enziguri ends it. Sheik hits him with the boot again afterwards.

Rating: C-. Not horrible I guess but at fifteen minutes this was WAY too long. It was just a step away from being a squash which in a long title match is never a good thing at all. It’s cool seeing guys this famous when they weren’t incredibly well known yet though but damn fifteen minutes of them is just too much.

NWA World Title: Harley Race vs. Dusty Rhodes

Why am I not thrilled to see this? Race is champion here. Rhodes is listed as 261 pounds. That’s just hilarious. Race had the title and then Dusty beat him for it and vice versa, leading to the rubber match here. Dusty hits his elbow drop for two because it’s not the end of the match and since IT’S AN ELBOW DROP it doesn’t work here. This was back in the final days of the WWF being in the NWA so these wouldn’t happen much more often.

This is fairly basic and Vince keeps trying to tell us how great Rhodes is in the ring. On the mic yes but in the ring not so much. They fight over a suplex and this is definitely a different style than the rest of the show has been as it’s a more NWA style of slow building. Race is bleeding from the head. Race gets launched to the floor as this thankfully picks up something resembling steam.

Dusty hits a piledriver but the feet are on the ropes again. Race comes back with his standard stuff as this is pretty clearly coming to a close. Dusty makes his comeback which lasts about 8 seconds. Race drops a bunch of knees and Dusty is busted open too. His is a lot worse than Race’s though. Dusty makes his real comeback but the referee stops it because of his cut for a CHEAP finish. LOUD bullshit chant afterwards.

Rating: C. This was boring as hell for the most part but it picked up a lot near the end. The finish was clearly going to be screwy but I can live with that as this was just a token title defense. Also that means Race wins here instead of a draw or a no contest. Nothing great at all here but pretty watchable.

Intercontinental Title: Pat Patterson vs. Dominic DeNucci

The title is brand new here as it was established only about three months prior. Patterson is more or less a tweener here as no one is sure whether they like him or not. Dominic is a guy I’ve never seen wrestle before but he trained Foley so he can’t be that bad. They start off all slow and technical and DeNucci isn’t bad at all. Pat is wrestling like a heel here but not entirely.

In a stat I never would have guessed, it wasn’t until Ricky Steamboat, 9 years after the title was made, that a reign didn’t last five months or more. This was a well defended title to say the least. Patterson is actually pretty awesome as a heel. He would turn face soon and in I think 1981 have his most famous match: the Alley Fight vs. Sgt. Slaughter which is well worth finding.

DeNucci fights back and proves that this is old school with an airplane spin. He’s your standard Italian gimmick but a solid worker. He goes for a sunset flip but Patterson drops down and gets the pin in something resembling a Thesz Press.

Rating: D+. These are two guys I haven’t seen much of but they were both pretty decent. By today’s standards this wasn’t much and even back then it wasn’t that interesting. It was really a Patterson showcase match but nothing really came of it. The IC belt was brand new here so no one really knew what to think of it. Decent enough match though.

There were two other matches that night but they aren’t shown here. Fink says they were All-Star matches, which was the name of the WWF TV show back in the day, so I’m guessing they were just taped for TV. If you’re curious, it was the Junior Heavyweight Championship being defended by Tatsumi Fujinami against Johnny Rivera and Tito Santana and Ivan Putski defending the tag titles against Swede Hanson and Victor Rivera. The champions retained both times.

Overall Rating: C-. This card is STACKED to say the least with a ton of huge names. If my math is right you have 7 world champions in 8 matches. That’s not bad at all. The wrestling however is pretty bad, but it has to be remembered that this was a house show and not a big PPV card. That being said, it’s pretty decent and certainly watchable. The fact that this is over thirty years old says a lot too. Decent show but other than for historical purposes not really worth seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back