New WWE TV Show To Debut In October

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
STAMFORD, Conn., June 25, 2012 - WWE (NYSE: WWE) and ION Television today announced a new weekly one-hour original series airing on Wednesday nights at 8/7C. WWE Main Event will debut on October 3, 2012, and feature WWE Superstars and Divas from the rosters of Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown. The new show will be available in 100 million U.S. television households on ION Television, a top-rated general entertainment network that features a broad mix of critically acclaimed series, movies and original programming.

"ION Television is delighted to begin a new partnership with such a successful and well-recognized franchise as WWE," said Brandon Burgess, CEO, ION Media Networks. "As a general entertainment network with a solid foundation, WWE Main Event is a great addition to our lineup that features something for everyone. We look forward to introducing our ION audience to all of the excitement and drama WWE has to offer as well as welcoming a passionate new fan base to the network."

"WWE looks forward to this new partnership with ION Television," said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman and CEO. "We are excited about producing this new television show, WWE Main Event, and bringing our fans to ION Television every Wednesday."

WWE Main Event will feature in-ring action and fit seamlessly in storylines from Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown, making Wednesday night appointment viewing for fans. The new series will offer a big arena experience with live audiences like current WWE weekly programs.

From the main page.

This sounds like another Superstars-level show. What are your thoughts on this?

Another show that'll seemingly use little seen talents. It doesn't sound like another Superstars-level show, it is another Superstars-level show.

From the title it sounds like John Cena, Big Show, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and the other main eventer.. If it is for people like Curt Hakwins, Tyson Kidd then the title needs changing.

What happened about the new cruiserweight show they were planning to launch?

I don't think the new show will help anyone or anything if it just Superstar level show.

Even if it's for main eventers like Cena, Punk, Sheamus, Jericho they should still change the name of the show as the name 'Main Event' is all about Main Events.

And isn't WWE already short on the roster to afford another big show?

Wondering whether it will be a one hour or a two hour show.

I say have a show which only features hardcore matches, cruiserweight matches, comedy and divas exposure/action.

They're renaming Superstars!! Plain and simple. If it actually does include main roster preformers I'll be impressed, but I doubt it will. We're probably going to see a lot of guys like Reks, Hawkins, Kidd, Gabriel, those type of roster guys. Hopefully I'm wrong, I'd like to see an all-main event show

I am pretty sure I have this network but I don't think I have ever watched anything on it.

Seems like ION is trying to bring more people in. Pro wrestling has a loyal audience that at a minimum will be introduced to their network (let's face it, if we can, we will at least check it out to see what it is).

I see this as being nothing more than a little bit of extra revenue for WWE. Maybe there is a little bit of incentive to get their PG product on during "Family Hour" but I doubt it, especially with Raw starting an hour earlier.

I still think the key are weekend mornings. Catch kids flipping channels while their parents are not paying attention.

I think that getting the WWE back on regular television was much needed to keep the WWE relevant. Since the ending of Smackdown on My Network TV there has not been exposure of the product on Regular TV as it's only been exclusively on cable. Hopefully this will work out for both parties even if it's 3rd tier talent and bring on maybe a Saturday Morning series again on the network. For some reason I miss those days of waking up to Wrestling Challenge and Worldwide.

The next thing they need to do is bring back Saturday Night's Main Event again for the Wrestlemania Season. I believe this time around it may bring in the ratings that they were expecting because they were still transitioning into the PG-TV mainstream at the time they did the previous editions.

I wouldnt mind seeing the Superstars talent on tv with a mix of the main guys.
Maybe it will be like the old one hour Raws, where you had 1 big main event and then the rest filler. Plus it would give these guys some actual tv time. Ihope the wording of it, doesnt make it just another recap show with some matches thrown in. Maybe have an interview segment on the show, like a Peep Show or a Highlight Reel (if Jericho is still around).
But who am I to say..i dont work for the WWE, just a loyal fan for over 20 years lol

I think this is more for ION's benefit than WWE. Probably will be a Superstars 2.0 with guys like Ryder, Ryback, and other lower mid card talent. Maybe some Tag Teaming or some Divas each week. Can't say I am looking forward to it.

This is definitely a waste of time. Main eventers have a full schedule as it is so you know for a fact they're not going to be part of a one hour show on a crappy TV channel. If WWE put as much effort into their storylines as they do into making new shows that only last 2 years at most then they would have two descent enough brands and wouldnt need all the extra crap. All they need to do is televise NXT which has completely lost the concept of being a competition and turned into a WWECW spinoff.

And how much of this new show will be the same recaps from Raw that we already see on Superstars, Smackdown, Bottom Line, and NXT?

I'm guessing we'll be getting the same caliber of matches that were hitherto shown on NXT before the merging with FCW. The re-dedication of WWE's 'D' show to the developmental territory means that a lot of the lower- and mid-card main roster have been deprived of an hour of television per week, and of course that extra hour of Raw won't be used on them, since Cyndi Lauper is obviously far more over than Justin Gabriel is.

After this show WWE is going to lose all of their talent to TNA, u think im joking?

they have RAW, NXT, Superstars, smackdown, house shows, PPV and now this? Im pretty sure the wrestlers are going to get pissed off about having to wrestle/travel even more.

After this show WWE is going to lose all of their talent to TNA, u think im joking?

they have RAW, NXT, Superstars, smackdown, house shows, PPV and now this? Im pretty sure the wrestlers are going to get pissed off about having to wrestle/travel even more.

What in the hell?

First of all, Superstars is recorded with Raw/Smackdown anyways, those who appear on NxT rarely feature on Raw/Smackdown. Its called having a bigger roster, not a single wrestler in the company does all the shows and never will do for that reason. There is no additional travel that isnt already part of the schedule right now.

Saying this now though, the US title needs scrapping and replaced with a belt for the lower card for these type of shows. I mean they could use the US title but people will bang on about those who have held it in the past to be held by the likes of Reks etc. One thing that was great about the European Championship back when that was around.

Sunday - PPV's
Monday - Raw
Tuesday - nothing,
wednesday wwe main event/nxt
Thursday-superstars/tna
Friday - SD
Saturday - Ring of Honor

why not put main event on tuesdays since there s no wrestling programms on that day and putting it on the same day as another wwe show does not seem logical. I think this is a way for Ion to get ratings considering they dont have original shows and the network is only on for like 4 hours a day other then that this show could be used to build lower card talents and bring up new guys to the WWE Roster

the biggest problem with all the shows wwe has had in the last few years is they are all basicaly the same.
I remember when Smackdown, Velocity, Sunday Night Heat, Shotgun Saturday Night, etc first came out they were all different from each other in the way they were presented.
each show had a different feel to it, even when Velocity and SNH were just extensions of Smackdown and Raw they still had there own identity, nowadays every lower level show they do is the same: a couple of random matches and the rest of the time is recaps and video packages about stuff that happened on Monday and Friday nights.

Yeah I'll go with the consensus and say that this looks like another Superstars type show. But who knows, they might throw some Main Eventers or fringe-Main Eventers on there every now and again. I remember the first episode of Superstars ever they had Taker vs. Matt Hardy in the Main Event so I'd expect them to have some high profile matches.

I checked too and I do have ION so that's good, and a Wedenesday time slot is weird considering it's untreaded water for wrestling shows, but now I'll have something to watch because there is never anything else on Wednesday nights.

I won't be watching because I don't get the channel and it will most likely be lame. I rather go out of my way to find new NXT than watch this.

As a die-hard wrestling fan, I can't help but be excited to say that I now get wrestling every week day. RAW on Monday, NXT on Tuesday, Main Event on Wednesday, shitty TNA and then Superstars on Thursday and SmackDown on Friday. Am I skeptical about the quality and concept of the show? Absolutely, but it's yet another attempt at WWE growing, and exceeding where they already are.

Personally, I think WWE should stop spreading themselves so thin with so many various obligations, retain a roster split between Smackdown and RAW, then go from there whilst focusing on the best product possible; rather than making AS MUCH as possible. But, I'm sure I'll be watching the product nonetheless.

Vince needs to get it through his head that it's not 1998 anymore. His product is not a guaranteed ratings smash like it once was (it's still better than WCW was in 2000). The last thing WWE needs to do is put MORE programming out there, especially with Raw going 3 hours.

Of course, he looks at it simply as: more programming on TV, more advertising $. Understandable, but ...

You know how they always have a dark match after each raw? maybe they will just tape that and put it on this new show?.... i mean you are not spending any real money on production since its raw already and you are using your main eventers.... so everybody wins?

Also, some may have forgotten that Raw is supposedly supposed to be 3 hours. I don't know how long they are going to keep that up though. I think the show would work if they use it to boost mid carders or start storylines there that can gain momentum and then bring them to Raw. This could also boost the divas and the tag team division, at least it gives the writers and bookers room to work with and develop the story lines instead of cramming all of them into Raw or Smackdown. But honestly it doesn't seem like creative knows exactly if they are going to try to revert back to the separate brands or just continue with the supershows. :shrug:

I usually watch ION for their daily (seems like daily) marathon of Psych, which is an awesome show btw. I really hope this isn't just another SUPERSTARS, but it would be hard to imagine a third show in the same vain as RAW and Smackdown. Either way it's good to see ION is getting more shows because it's pretty much re-runs of USA shows right now.

How about they just tape dark matches from RAW and SMACKDOWN shows( maybe matches from live events), then play them on this new show and mix some commentary & promo videos into it.

Essentially it costs nothing yet could make loads of profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back