Mysterio. Should WWE save their dubloons?

Miko

WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER!?
Alright so it's being reported on wrestlezone that Mysterio and WWE are having trouble agreeing to a contract, I dont know how much truth there is in that but it seems like a worthy topic to debate.

So here goes, personally I think WWE should be saving their money, maybe before he returned from his injury I wouldnt have said that but it's not like RAW is going to suffer without him.

The reason why I say this is the recent Kane/Mysterio fued, as I posted in another thread Rey is what single-handedly killed that fued. Kane did an excellent job building it up and getting people talking and even when the contents of the bag turned out to be Mysterio's mask he did an excellent job in putting himself, the injuries and Mysterio over, then Mysterio returned and gave back absolutely nothing, just the usual "I am the biggest little man" bravado.

This probably wouldnt have mattered if Kane was booked to destroy Mysterio but we all know how it turned out. I think it's safe to say that after the first match nobody cared anymore.

Yet this is how I see everything involving Mysterio turning out.

So is Mysterio worth the money, or am I just a hater?

Reactions: Tim
I think he's definitely worth the money for a few reasons. To begin with, Mysterio is insanely over with young kids. The mask thing is always kind of cool, especially for newer fans that have never heard of him being unmasked in WCW. The name recognition is still there as a tie in to WCW which is more of a fan thing than a company one to be fair. Also, there's the fact of his ethnicity. With WWE trying to move into Latin America more, Rey is an absolute gold mine. He is a god in that part of the word, speaks fluent spanish, and would be the perfect ambassador. Also, he's hardly dead in the ring. WWE would want to sign him up to keep out the slight chance of him going to TNA and being made the king of the X-Division.

I like Rey Mysterio, he is a decent hard working guy and to some of his fans entertaining. He, like John Cena are the perfect wrestler for Vince to have because their gimmicks are mainly aimed towards young children or teenagers. I could'nt see Vince sacking Rey or dropping him anytime soon, he is to much of a crowd favourite at the moment.

The Kan feud was certainly a horrible feud for both, not just for Mysterio but for kane too. The matches were booked terribly and the wrestlign in the matches was horrific, who would believe that Mysterio would win a match against such a "monster"?

Mysterio is worth the money, for reason i pointed otu earlier but also because he is a great entertainer. He is a hugely athletic guy and is someone that is aimed towards the kids. he is useful in the WWE right now seeing as the wrestling is geared more to the younger fans.

I think he's definitely worth the money for a few reasons. To begin with, Mysterio is insanely over with young kids. The mask thing is always kind of cool, especially for newer fans that have never heard of him being unmasked in WCW. The name recognition is still there as a tie in to WCW which is more of a fan thing than a company one to be fair. Also, there's the fact of his ethnicity. With WWE trying to move into Latin America more, Rey is an absolute gold mine. He is a god in that part of the word, speaks fluent spanish, and would be the perfect ambassador. Also, he's hardly dead in the ring. WWE would want to sign him up to keep out the slight chance of him going to TNA and being made the king of the X-Division.

I couldn't agree more. Very well said. Let's face it, wrestling is primarily aimed at kids these days. You only need to watch his entrance as he comes to the ring to see how over he is and watch the excitement in the crowd as he comes to the ring. Bringing up TNA though had me thinking. I would love to see a match between him and AJ Styles.:worship:

I don't understand why people bash Rey Mysterio. He goes out there every single week, puts on his body on the line and entertains the fans, especially the little kids. Sure he may not be the most entertaining superstar in the company, but he's not meant to be. There are very few superstars that are entertaining in the ring as Rey Mysterio. I mean, you can't possibly say Rey should be released because he had a rather poor feud with Kane. When was the last Kane feud that anyone enjoyed? He's the one with the extremely boring gimmick, not Mysterio.

I think Mysterio is certainly worth the money and the time. The only main reasons why people bash him is because he's not a heel :rolleyes: and also because he is very small for a main eventer. He is mega over with the fans and is a consistant performer. Not to mention that he is great for the children and the spanish/mexican demographic. Let's face it, the kids love to buy little Mysterio masks and I'm sure Rey is one of the best merchandise sellers in the company.

He is a great asset to the company and is certainly underrated. People still can't get over his World Title reign which occurred in 2006. I seriously didn't have a problem with his reign. The WWE is a rich company, so I'm sure they don't mind spending their cash on a money maker who is also a consistant performer. He's not young, but he can certainly still perform in the ring but is booked terribly which is unfortunate. But Rey Mysterio should definately stay with the company for many more years to come.

Dont get me wrong I dont hate the guy because he's a face, I in fact I dont hate the guy. I wanted him to win the World Title, as someone who's been a fan since WCW it was a nice sight to see. I just think he's become kinda boring, not like my opinion matters but if it gets people talking.

I just blame him for the poor results of his Kane fued, my point is when it was just Kane people were talking about it, when Mysterio turned up people stopped. He was the least interesting thing about that whole angle. It was tailor made to work, Kane the big guy assaults Mysterio worrying all of the kids etc. yet it didnt and it wasnt Kane's fault.

Why do people like him though? Is it because he is hispanic and jumps around alot? Couldn't you replace him with The Colon Brothers, or did they? Seeing how SmackDown has a higher hispanic veiwing audience than RAW (or so I have heard). I mean if they were to sell Carlito wigs or something would they sell as well? If Rey starts demanding more money is he really that irreplaceable?

Just a few things I thought are worth considering when talking about Rey's importance in the company.

I think that Mysterio is worth signing to a new deal. He is extremely fun to watch in the ring. He does a lot of things that most people can't. That being said I could care less about what he has to say. Whenever he has the mic in front of him I tend to tune out, he never seems to say anything new. Re-sign him but maybe get a acting coach for him so he can start to cut some decent promos.

Why does everyone hate Mysterio?

He may not be as entertaining as he used to be in the ring, due to his age, but he still puts on good matches. I can't use Mysterio vs Kane as an example because it was never going to be a good match due to the size difference, but if Mysterio were fueding with someone a bit smaller, such as Kofi Kingston then the matches would be of higher quality as the size difference wouldn't be as big. Mysterio is still entertaining to the fans, especially to the children and he makes a lot of money merchandice wise from that, which is another reason why the WWE should re-sign him.

I think he is absouletly worth it by as buisness stand point. He might cost the WWE alot of money because of his contract, but there is no denying with merchandise and such he also makes the WWE alot of money. Also remember that the IWC is in the minority and Vince really doesn't care about us, and Mysterio is over with the fans and should stay.

In a wrestling/storyline stand point, I really don't know if there is anything left for Mysterio to do. He really isn't a mainevent talent anymore, yet he feels to big for the midcard. His Kane feud was awful, and he really hasn't done much. Maybe he will feud with Regal for the IC title, but there is no denying Mysterio has become stale and cannot function as good as he use to(just like other guys who have been in the buisness along while).

I for one find Mysterio's matches to be practically insulting in their methodology and such (am I really supposed to believe that 619 move? C'mon), and I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick and tired of hearing about the "David vs. Goliath" thing with every single one of his matches - just as I'm sick of Michael Cole saying "shades of ____" or "vintage ____" and Tazz stuttering like a moron lol.

But is Mysterio worth keeping? Definitely. He sells a buttload of merchandise and the average fan...for some reason....enjoys him a lot, so there's really no reason not to. He might be injury prone, but that doesn't mean people won't continue to buy his new mask or whatever if they're not seeing him. Plus, at the very least, I think Mysterio has enough years behind him that he could help when it comes to the younger talent.

So while he may not be valuable in a sense that he can work with anybody and produce great matches, like some people in the WWE can do, he has other worth.

I don't think WWE needs Rey anymore at all. Everyone of his matches have the exact same flow to them and have become quite stale. The only reason he gets a pop from the crowd is because of the kids that are there. Not to mention WWE has a new little man in Bourne. So once Bourne is all built up, Rey will be inferior.

I think they should keep him, for a number of reasons. Firstly, he has a unique style of offense, and I can't really think of anyone else who uses his style of offense. Secondly, with WWE trying to appeal to international markets, he is a great link to Latin America for the WWE. He wrestles their style, in an international company. Also, I doubt you'll find a kid who doesn't love Rey Mysterio. They all love the mask. And finally he always plays the underdog role well, there's no doubting that. These are just some of the reasons why WWE should keep Rey Mysterio, and there are probably a lot more.

im gonna kinda run on the fence here ill give my "reasons for rey not being worth the money" first

hes washed up, weighs down the rest of the new guys coming in, look at TBK hes can do soooo much more in the ring, but where rey cant preform these moves anymore due to knee problems TBK is weighed down since they have to keep rey over as "the biggest little man" KB (tina) said that hed be a great ambassador for the new latin american thing wwe is coming up on soon, but super crazy could have done the same thing, and hes better in the ring, and personally i believe hes better on the mic too...

Reasons for keeping him?
the kidds. after a much needed gimmick change i think rey could keep the mask, and same move set, (which would keep him over with the kidds) while giving us a fresh look at him other than "the biggest little man" which would also let guys like TBK/bourne/punk/kofi to do their in-ring work that needs to be done. while still keeping him over. And rey has a great merchandise sells rate, otherwise, i say release him.

I say keep him he is the link between WWE and masked wrestling of Mexico. Kids love Rey almost as much as if not more than John Cena. If WWE drops Rey then TNA gains a huge asset.

Why would you fire him he has no strikes has never no showed and you can't blame him for the title reign blame creative. If you were offered the WHC would you say no I think not.

To put it bluntly, he's a burnt out Max Mini.

His matches are predictable (unless it's a gimmick match), and his offense his stale. Let's face it, he hasn't exactly come up with anything innovative in the last few years, compared to some of the things he used to pull out in ECW and WCW. He hasn't had a decent fued in years either, all of them being with big Main Event guys as well, who all have experience with delivering the goods in high quality fueds, with the exception of his 25th fued with Chavo Guerrero in late '06.

Ok so he's over with the 12 kids that sit in the aiselway seats, but i don't remember any Mysterio chants echoing the arenas lately.

He's good for merchandies and South American tours, but they could easily use the Colons for that if they really wanted to, there's no real need to rely on Rey for that.

He's also a huge injury risk. He missed both of the last Wrestlemania's due to injury and has had just as many injuries as HBK and Taker in the last three years, while doing half the work that they both do.

They'll be paying the guy to attract kids (who spend the parent's money) and hispanics

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back