Most underrated match of the decade???

Honestly, Jericho vs. Rock on Raw in 2001 (when Y2J lost his championship). that match was seriously good. I would argue that it was Jericho's finest and the Ropck did what was needed of him as well. It was a great match that was only really overshadowed by some crap Stephanie McMahon interference.

Here's the match: [YOUTUBE]WBHoQRW5M1o[/YOUTUBE]

I'm going with Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy ladder match. Amazing match that really catapulted Jeff Hardy's career. I remember watching this match and marking for Jeff the entire match... I've never really even been a Jeff Hardy fan either! This was probably Jeff's best match of his career.

I'd personally go with Christian vs Jericho at WM20 for a number of reasons.

-Had a very emotional story about a long standing tag team (they had tagged on and off together for the previous 2 years) splitting up due to a love triangle between the two of them and Trish Stratus, an angle that hadn't really been done in the 'E' for a while, and hasn't really been done since, especially not in the way they did it for Christian/Y2J, where Christian actually attacked Trish during a match that Bischoff put them in.

-Christian's abilities and talent really shone through in this fued. He wasn't in any form of gimmick match or relying on weapon spots, and a lot of people suddenly seemed to realise, 'Hey, Christian's actually pretty damn good at wrestling.'

-Personally i feel this match, and the end result, were both a lot better than Rock n Sock v Evolution, despite the fact that that fued had been building for 6 months straight (a full year if you include the original punt down the stairs). If i had to rate every match on the WM20 card in terms of which ones i enjoyed and which i didn't, i think Christian v Y2J was only surpassed by the World title matches, and that's a big thing for me to say considering that Taker returned that night, and obviously i'm an uber Taker mark.

And finally, i'd say this is one of the most underrated matches of the last 10 years, because i seem to be the only person who enjoyed that match. Don't think i've ever read anyone else state that they appreciated this particualr match in the same capacity that i did.

One match that I personally love is Chris Benoit vs William Regal from No Mercy 06. Regal didnt know who his opponent would be and when the music hit it was the returning Benoit who had taken a few months off. They had a brilliant 10 minute stiff as hell brawl. Benoit looked as if he hadn't missed any time at all. Its not exactly greatest match of all time quality but if you like either of those guys I recommend checking it out.

People are named AJ vs. Angle, Rey vs. Jericho from the Bash, Lesnar vs. Eddie, and Shelton vs. Michaels? Those are FAR from overrated. Also, I understand people shit on HBK vs. Triple H in the Cell rather often, but it was objectively shit and near impossible to sit through. It's rated properly.

Anyway, my match is not only underrated to the max, it's probably the best wrestling match that's actually underrated to be named in this thread. What is it? JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero from Judgement Day 2004. A wild, blood-soaked brawl in and around the ring that sent the crowd into a frenzy and damn near justified JBL's push. In a match that looked awful on paper and a lot of people shit on just because of JBL's involvement, those to rose to the occasion a delivered an exciting, consuming main event brawl. It's one of my favorite matches of the last decade.

Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels at The Great American Bash 2008

This match was in the middle of thier awesome fued in the summer 2008. The psychology of this match was a 10 out of 10. It is a match that i gain a suspension of belief and quickly forget wrestling is entertainment.

The greatness of the match begins when Chris Jericho catches HBK with a innocent elbow on the outside of the ring, and opens a cut near the eye.

It takes a minute for Jericho to even know damage has been caused, but once he does, the look on his face is one of the greatest looks ive ever seen. Its a look of Shock/Eagerness/Hatred. And then for the remainder of the match Jericho only attacks the eye. He uses the most precise, methodic punches ever seen in a wrestline ring. He uses brutal headbutts. He uses an old-school arm-tie to keep HBK from protecting his face and just opens up a fountain of blood.

And HBK plays the battered role perfectly... so much so the match ends when Shawn can not continue.

The only downside of this match was the referee who i thought got too involved and frustratingly slowed the match, throwing of the pace.

It may not have been as great as the 90's...but this past decade has provided some of the greatest matches in the history of pro wrestling (yes, I still call it that).
People will talk about their favorite matches and you see them posted all day long, and for good reason. But I believe there have been many that were over looked and not given their just due.

Let's hear what you guys think are the most underrated matches of the decade. Anything from a curtain jerker to a world title main event.

I personally think that the iron man match between Brock Lesnar v. Kurt Angle on Smackdown (2003 I believe) for the title is THE single most underrated match of the decade. Go back and watch it if you can...it's phenomenal. When you hear Lesnar vs. Angle, everyone always points to their Wrestlemania showing and forgets about the classic that happened on Smackdown. An Iron man match on television and not PPV? Oh yeah..and they torn the house down. This gets my vote....let's hear yours!

OOOO I can't even erase the match form my mind. I watched it Twice. I actually liked it more than WM match, or Shawn Bret iron match. It was the only Iron match that I ever liked and I belive they are two of 5 who can pull off an iron match without making it boring.

This is the most underrated match in WWE history.

I really like the Cena/JBL I quit match from Judgment Day '05. These two guys beat the hell out of each other. Plus the remix video that Cena did the next Thursday of JBL shouting "I QUIT!" was hilarious.

Rey Mysterio vs Chris Jericho at Extreme Rules 2009 is one of the best matches ever, but because everyone bums off Michaels vs Taker, it didn't even win match of the year. The match was pretty much flawless and really well played out, yet people prefer the Bash match generally. For me, it was the end of the match I think that made it so good, it was an original idea that was fundamentally quite complex, but executed superbly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back