More Sequels For Rambo & Predator?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Let's get Rambo out of the way first:
The 2008 film Rambo appeared to “retire” its main character similar to how 2006′s Rocky Balboa closed on the door on the story of its eponymous protagonist, but ever since then there’s been talk about Sylvester Stallone reprising as John Rambo one more time. A new report indicates that Rambo 5 is showing fresh signs of life, despite the project having been on radio silence for over two years now.

8 Movies You Didn't Realize Were Such Big Hits

Rambo 5, once mistakenly believe to share a lot in common plot-wise with the Hunter sci-fi/thriller book adaptation that Stallone’s been working on, reportedly features a script draft by Stallone that pits the Rambo character against Mexican drug cartels. Splendid Film, the Germany-based company that distributed the Arnold Schwarzenegger-starring Sabotage earlier this year, has apparently picked up the rights to a fifth Rambo movie, with Sly confirmed to “return in his iconic role.”

The update, featured in a report by Splendid Medien AG (hat tip to Coming Soon), mentions that Stallone describes Rambo 5 as “his version of ‘No Country for Old Men’” – which isn’t all that far off from what Sly had to say two years back, where it concerned his plan for properly concluding the tale of John Rambo. For those who missed it, here is the relevant quote:

“It’s one thing where you lay down the final culmination of your life where you can articulate it, but also act on it where [Rambo] realizes what his destiny really is. It’s not to be a farmer, it’s not to be obscure; it’s to go out in a blaze of glory in a heroic fashion. But is he really doing it for himself or is he doing it because that’s just his id? That’s who he is.”

Stallone turns 68 in a couple weeks and although he’s as ripped as ever, he’s been taking steps of late to properly close the door on his career as an action star. Besides Stallone wanting to give Rambo one last hurrah, the marketing for his upcoming Expendables 3 has teased “one last ride,” and the last couple Stallone action vehicles (Bullet to the Head, Escape Plan) have offered different variations on the idea of his action star persona preparing to head off towards the sunset. With Splendid Film having picked up Rambo 5 rights so it can distribute the film in Germany, it seems that Sly is now one step closer to saying good-bye to John Rambo as well (for real, this time).

The grisly violence and brutal nature of the Rambo universe would make one last movie installment (should it happen) a grittier affair than the self-aware cheesy macho antics of the Expendables franchise; as far as treatments of the timely subject of Mexican drug cartel violence go, Stallone’s Rambo 5 would be a far cry from his buddy Arnold’s The Last Stand, for sure.

Question is, does everyone want to see Rambo go to war again, even if it provides the sort of entertainment catharsis for real-world concerns, traditionally offered by the best B-movies? As was said before, the fourth installment Rambo ended on a note of closure - one that managed to satisfy a significant chunk of Stallone’s longtime fanbase – and as such, the drum isn’t exactly beating loudly for a fifth Rambo feature to be made.

Then again, we haven’t heard anything about that Rambo TV series (potentially involving Stallone) since last summer. Similar to how the Beverly Hills Cop TV show was abandoned for Beverly Hills Cop 4 starring Eddie Murphy instead, it could be that the Rambo brand has been judged as being possibly more lucrative on the big screen rather than small screen, at this stage – and thus, Stallone will get to play the character one last time, before the Rambo property is laid to rest at last. (Well, until the theoretical reboot, anyway.)

http://screenrant.com/rambo-5-stallone-plot-details/

Talk of a Rambo 5 has been a running rumor for the past couple of years now, and we never get past the "maybe" stage. I guess I'm one of the few people, who actually enjoyed Rambo 2008, and Stallone's monologue.

Although, I can understand why a lot of people wouldn't be too excited to watch another Rambo film. Four sequels, and the understandable complaints about suspending disbelief for a man nearing 70, as an unstoppable lethal force/ass kicker.

At first, it was reported the new Predator film would be a reboot, but Shane Black confirms it'll be a sequel:

Last night, news broke that 20th Century Fox was reviving its Predator franchise with Shane Black attached to direct and write the treatment, while Fred Dekker (The Monster Squad) would handle scripting duties. While it didn’t come as a surprise that Fox wanted to put together another entry in one of its staple film series, it was excellent to hear that Black, who wrote and directed Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and Iron Man 3, would be steering the ship. A veteran screenwriter, Black has developed a signature tone and style that is a welcome reprieve from generic studio actioners, and he proved himself to be a strong director with the incredible Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang then showed he could handle a massive budget on Iron Man 3.

While Black’s Predator film was initially reported as being a reboot, we recently got in touch with the filmmaker who clarified that he and Dekker are actually envisioning an “inventive sequel” with this iteration, which is to say it’s really not a reboot at all. Hit the jump to read on.

While the initial report said that Black’s new Predator film would be a reboot, Black tells us that he and Dekker see the project as definitely not a reboot, “As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway,” Black said, adding “Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” Black said he doesn’t like reboots generally, but can “really get behind inventive sequels”, noting that he likes “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.” He went on to say that Dekker, who’s writing the screenplay, is “perfect” for the project, adding the two had a blast writing the screenplay for The Monster Squad together. Indeed, the result of their previous collaboration makes the prospect of the new Predator film even more enticing.

More often than not, a reboot is a lazy way of avoiding the hard work of coming up with a new idea, and instead choosing to use the blueprint of what came before. What Black and Dekker have planned for Predator, however, sounds like something fresh yet in step with the spirit of the original films, and that’s worth getting excited about. Just exactly what portions of the Predator mythology will be mined for this new film are under wraps for now, but I’m eager to see what surprises Black and Dekker have up their sleeves.

Too true.

http://collider.com/predator-reboot-sequel-shane-black/

I'm glad it's a not reboot/remake, because Predator 1987 still holds up well today as an outstanding action film. The 1987 film continues to stand the test of time, so there's no need to take an unnecessary chance of trying to improve on something that doesn't need improvement, or adding a modern POV with glitzy CGI, high tech weapons, state of the art gadgets, and tactical equipment.

Rambo 5 is still a rumor, but it's a guarantee the new Predator sequel will happen in the future. If I have to choose between the two, I'll take Rambo 5 over a new Predator sequel. I don't have a big problem with Stallone having one final send-off as John Rambo on the big screen, and if we're comparing sequels, Rambo's sequels are harmless.

The Predator franchise has been stuck in a tailspin since the '87 film. It's hard to ignore how awful Predator 2 is and the atrocious AVP films. Also, I'm kind of bummed out by this, because I was hoping for a follow up to Predators 2010. Predators 2010 was a refreshing and positive change of pace, but I can't imagine Shane Black following in the footsteps of the 2010 film with Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, and Alice Braga. After reading the article, you get the feeling Dekker and Black have plans to create a more personalized film.

The Predator franchise is good in the sense that it doesn't really need returning cast members (it would be nice obviously but not neccessary) because every film that's been released under the banner has had different cast members, so providing they get a good cast it should be good.

I actually made a thread years ago asking what was so wrong with Predator 2. I liked it and thought it expanded on the Predator mythos quite well. I assumed it was because they replaced Arnold with Danny Glover. I did ask the question would people look at Predator 2 more fondly if it had Arnold in it??

The AVP films sunk donkey dick there's very little to like about them. However I thought Predators was a nice return to form and am curious as to whether this new sequel will reference Predators as it was a damn fine film and expanded even more on the mythos.

I've never seen any Rambo films (and as an action fan I know this is some form of sin) but it seems perfectly logical. Stallone has been doing Rambo-esque stuff in The Expendables anyway so it's not much of a stretch for him to film a new Rambo.

I'm not that bothered about a possible Predator sequel, I haven't enjoyed any of them since the original, which is a classic.

Now, as for Rambo...as long as Sly can still pull it off (and by his performances in The Expendables films, it looks like he can), I would definitely go and see a 5th film in the series. I really enjoyed "Rambo" (the 4th film) when that came out, it was over-the-top brutal and just non-stop action, definitely a worthy sequel to what was a great film trilogy.

If Sly can give us more of the same, then I'd love to see another film with Johnny Rambo!

I did ask the question would people look at Predator 2 more fondly if it had Arnold in it??

A lack of Arnold wasn't a big problem for me. Sure, it would've been nice to see Dutch again, but deep down inside, I'm kind of glad they didn't go that route, because it's hard to top the final fight scene and this moment:

[YOUTUBE]XCG_ETMZvyg[/YOUTUBE]

I have a lot of problems with Predator 2, but my biggest pet peeve is a gap in logic for suspension of disbelief between both films. In the original, an elite special forces team STRUGGLED to defend themselves against and fight the Predator, but in the sequel, a city cop stands toe to toe with a crafty, smart, and lethal alien with unbelievable strength? Bill Paxton is good for laughs, and I actually enjoy the rivalry between Gary Busey and Danny Glover, but I always have a hard time buying into Glover's character as a threat to the Predator.

A lack of Arnold wasn't a big problem for me. Sure, it would've been nice to see Dutch again, but deep down inside, I'm kind of glad they didn't go that route, because it's hard to top the final fight scene and this moment:

[YOUTUBE]XCG_ETMZvyg[/YOUTUBE]

I have a lot of problems with Predator 2, but my biggest pet peeve is a gap in logic for suspension of disbelief between both films. In the original, an elite special forces team STRUGGLED to defend themselves against and fight the Predator, but in the sequel, a city cop stands toe to toe with a crafty, smart, and lethal alien with unbelievable strength? Bill Paxton is good for laughs, and I actually enjoy the rivalry between Gary Busey and Danny Glover, but I always have a hard time buying into Glover's character as a threat to the Predator.

Actually I do remember Jake saying the same thing. That a regular cop being able to defeat a Predator more easily than a special ops team is silly.

Mitch I'm curious would you rather see a new Predator in the style of the original and #2 (singular Predator ) or like Predators with multiple ones??

Generally speaking, I enjoyed the last Rambo film. All in all, I thought it was a far more realistic film than the others were in that Rambo didn't come off as anything close to superhuman. Sure, it was still pretty improbable but not even remotely when compared to the over the top nature of the second & third films in the series. However, as has been mentioned, it's kind of hard to get jacked about the fifth film in a series that began well over 30 years ago when the star of said fifth installment turns 68 years old this Sunday. Stallone & Schwarzenegger are at an age where it's comical to see them starring in action films in which the heroic characters are right in line with the ones they'd played 30+ years ago. There just comes a time when it's silly to see someone nearly 70 playing a near superhuman badass soldier no matter how much HGH he might take.

As for Predator, I can't say I'm all that excited about it. The past couple of Predator films have been as if the filmmakers weren't even trying. The Alien vs. Predator sequel was weak and the film Predators just had generic written all over it because the plot practically screamed laziness. Considering how hollow or lazy most of the other films have been, a reboot might not seem like such a bad idea unless they ultimately just wanted to be lazy as shit with it to and use the Predator brand to sell itself. Personally, I'd like to see a Predator film in which the film's primary subject is the Predator itself rather than for humans who're being hunted as the overall. Black says that there's all this rich mythology to explore, so let's actually explore said mythology. Aside from the fact that they travel to various planets hunting species in ritualistic hunts, we don't know jack about them. What's their culture like? What's the name of their species? What are females of their species like? Do they themselves have any myths surrounding creation or gods and, if so, what are some of them? How did their hunts begin with the Alien creatures from the Alien franchise? I agree that there's all sorts of potentially interesting directions they could go with a sequel, the question is if they'll actually do any of them.

If there's another Predator film, I would also like to see it follow-up on Predators. While the AVP films appealed to my inner comic book geek the same way Freddy vs. Jason did, they were a bit ridiculous.

Predators was solid, and you could consider it a follow-up to the other films because Arnold's character from the first film is mentioned by the female in the group. Also, there are so many possibilities given that the film takes place on another unnamed planet.
For example, imagine a large community of survivors that have banded together and built a small "city" with proper defenses against the Predators.
Overall, the options for a follow-up to Predators would be almost endless and I would definitely pay to watch it at the cinema.

On a final note, I just couldn't resist....

[youtube]aqDwqdSF6Ec[/youtube]

Jack-Hammer said:
Personally, I'd like to see a Predator film in which the film's primary subject is the Predator itself rather than for humans who're being hunted as the overall. Black says that there's all this rich mythology to explore, so let's actually explore said mythology. Aside from the fact that they travel to various planets hunting species in ritualistic hunts, we don't know jack about them. What's their culture like? What's the name of their species? What are females of their species like? Do they themselves have any myths surrounding creation or gods and, if so, what are some of them? How did their hunts begin with the Alien creatures from the Alien franchise?

I would love to see a new Predator film that explored any of these areas.

I would also be interested in learning/seeing more about the Predator homeworld. As I recall, I only remember one clip of it in the Predator film series, featured in AVP: Requiem. Alas, I can't find a clip of it on youtube or elsewhere, but it looked wicked. Exploring an entire Predator city on film could be a breathtaking cinematic experience.

The Predators are obviously an advanced intelligent race, so I too would be curious to learn about the structure of Predator society, religion(s), politics, etc.

God I'm a geek.

Mitch I'm curious would you rather see a new Predator in the style of the original and #2 (singular Predator ) or like Predators with multiple ones??

Definitely a style that follows Predators with multiple hunters, but I'm hoping we'll see a different take on the story. Fantasy stuff, but something more sinister with a rich tycoon hiring a group of killers, mercenaries, and ex-soldiers to hunt and kill the Predators for trophies, because we've already seen the "group unknowingly wanders into a trap and a fight for their lives" stuff in two films now.

I hope they'll skip the background explanation for who or what the Predator is this time around. After five films, it's safe to say the vast majority of people, who follow the Predator franchise already know about the body heat sensors, the mud, the hunting for sport, etc. Just throw a group of guys into the mix, who don't have anything to lose, and a group that's not afraid to fight.

Also, I agree it's time we get more in-depth look and explanation for the rich mythology in the Predator universe. In Predators 2010, the Predator planet was a refreshing setting and a nice change of pace, but the story focused on escaping the planet, trying to outrun the Predators, and the inevitable last stand with Alice Braga and Adrien Brody during the finale. So in the end, Rodriguez and others never took the time to explore the planet with a behind the scenes look for the Predators and their methods to pick and choose the next batch of targets.

Every Predator film not called Predator has been disappointing in various ways, with some much more extreme than others.

If anyone can be trusted with a Predator film, it's Shane Black who I believe wrote or co-wrote the original as well. One thing that will be tough to replicate about the original is that the Predator was such a mysterious and interesting character for the majority of the film. However, we know a whole bunch about the Predator now so the best thing to do is to just have fun with it and not get too tied up in its origins.

As for a new Rambo, it seems pretty unnecessary and I wouldn't totally mind if Rambo 4 turned out to be the final bloody instalment of the series.

I am all for Rambo going out in a blaze of glory. If Stallone can still go, then let him end his character how he wants. It wont hurt & people will still watch. Its popcorn action cinema and will draw a crowd.

Now as for Preadator. I would like to see what they do here. Very glad they are going this route & hopefully it makes for a good movie. Lord knows they have put up some terrible ones so I am willing to give the new crew a shot. Thermal imaging & neon blood here we come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back