Money in The Bank means future World Heavyweight Champion

No Hype

Dark Match Jobber
(First Time Making a Thread Feel Free To Move)

Now Money in The Bank has been cashed in 6 times. The first two times were on the WWE Champion, then the next four times have been on the World Heavyweight Champion.

So my question is does WWE want their title to not change hands on such cheap terms? Or is it just that around Money in the Bank time the WWE title has been on John Cena or Triple H the last 4 years ?

Now I know the first two times Money in the Bank was cashed in it was on Cena but starting about 4 years ago WWE started losing its edge and protecting their golden boy. Also Triple H wouldn't tolerate having such a cheap title win on him especially from non-established stars.

Well, you have to to assume that WWE wants to market its up and coming stars by giving them the ultimate push by giving them MITB. What better way is there that to allow them to come out of nowhere and beat the company's prominent superstars. It not only gives the superstar, like Swagger, an opportunity to be relevant for the up and coming PPV's, but also gain popularity and hate from the fans for different endeavorers in the company. Whether it means future world champion is all up to the superstar's ability to garner either support or disgust from the crowd enough to make Vince feel their viable for years to come.

2005 - Edge - Cashed in on Cena to finally end Cena's nearly year long reign. Established Edge as a main event talent, though this was more for shock value than anything else.

2006 - Rob Van Dam - Openly announced his cash in and beat Cena at ECW's PPV. Finally gave RVD a World Title win, and shook up RAW's main event at the time, while also giving birth to WWE's ECW.

2007 - Mr. Kennedy/Edge - Originally, Kennedy won and announced that he was going to wait the whole year, then got injured. So, they took the briefcase from him and gave it to Edge (a logical choice) and used Edge to take the title from an injured Undertaker. Money in the Bank became a tool to write off characters and transition the title, more than any politics. This was also the first time that the briefcase switched brands for a cash in (RVD and Edge were both RAW guys in 05 and 06).

2008 - CM Punk - Cashed in on Edge to bring the World Heavyweight title back to RAW. Another logical choice here, as Triple H was just bumped over to Smackdown in the draft, and was the WWE champion. This was the WWE just swapping the titles between the shows, which had become common occurrence to give both exposure. This would probably be the case where you could argue Triple H didn't want to lose the title in such a manner.

2009 - CM Punk - Punk cashed in on Jeff Hardy to win the World Heavyweight championship, instead of against Randy Orton/Batista. Smackdown was in need of a big heel, Punk needed a face to turn on, and Hardy needed a fresh challenger after a blowoff match with Edge. Everything just fit together here.

2010 - Swagger - This was a real oddball, which may not really make sense for a while down the road. The first thing I can think of is the need to get Swagger to cash in before the Money in the Bank PPV, so to not have 2 briefcases running around, somewhat devaluing Swagger's victory. Cena/Batista isn't really over yet, and shouldn't be interrupted by Swagger. There are also a decent number of heels on RAW that can be pushed into the main event without a problem. The same cannot be said for Smackdown, so Swagger serves to break up the Jericho/Edge feud a tad. It seems a bit soon, but I guess the WWE went for sooner, rather than later.

So, no, I don't believe it has much to do with the WWE vs World Heavyweight championship, nor anything to do with Triple H or Cena. Again, the only time I'd argue that point would be in 2008, but that could have turned Punk heel in the process, something I don't think they wanted at the time. Every transition (save Swagger) served a logical purpose at the time, and we will likely know the nature of Swagger's win in the coming weeks.

Money In The Bank has got to be the best idea World Wrestling Entertainment has had in a very long time. It was new, relevant, and it gave that certain mystery factor that has been lacking in the company. Who will win it? When will they cash in, and how? Will they win the company's highest honor in doing so?

So far, everyone who has won Money In The Bank (excluding Ken Anderson) has gone on to win either the WWE or the World Championship, and that is a good thing in giving the rising star an oppurtunity, but in the long run this can get stale.

WWE is already having its own MITB pay-per-view. I will save my grievances about gimmick matches being straight-up pay-per-views in some other forum, but let's look at this in simple terms- that Great idea of WWE's is turning into a mess. The reason to have the stipulation was to help push stars and raise the crowd's awareness on "he could be cashin in any week now", drawing more fans into the Mystery of wrestling and selling even more tickets.

So what will become of the MITB at Wrestlemania? Ever since its introduction there it has gone over well with the crowd. I know personally I can watch that match once every year and it wouldn't get old. But another MITB around the corner? I wonder how they will make it up to us next 'Mania...

Someone down the line will cash in their briefcase and lose. It's inevitable. But when that is is still a question unanswered. Honestly I thought Swagger would be the first to lose, but WWE didn't see it that way.

Now Money in The Bank has been cashed in 6 times. The first two times were on the WWE Champion, then the next four times have been on the World Heavyweight Champion.

I felt exactly the same. I was hoping for Swagger to cash it in on raw, because he would be a better add in Batista vs Cena than Jericho vs Edge. I personally think that E wanted him to cash it on SD! to not make Cena loose title cheap way again (as Batista won at EC ). Jericho vs Edge is a good feud, and (for me) Cena vs Batista is not. Jericho is feuding with Edge since... last summer? Writers could let them feud for longer (and let Edge win at Wrestlemania, as he is third RR winner to loose at mania in ROW, and Cena to loose).Also... Swagger would look better with WWE title rather than WHC lol.

I don't know if it's WWE prioritizing the WWE title holders over the World Heavyweight Championship title holders, but I think as Opportunist mentioned, it would end another John Cena reign way too fast, and I don't think that's what the majority of the WWE fans want to see, since there's a quite obvious bunch of John Cena fans.

On the other hand, Jericho held the title for about 36 (or so) days, making it at least a little bit more acceptable for him to loose it now, also seeing to the fact that I believe Jericho is going into some jury position, which calls for him to be off for a few weeks, so why not have Jack cash it on the person that's most likely to be absent from WWE television in the coming weeks, instead of having Edge win the title, and John Cena loosing his on RAW.

So I really must admit I don't know if it's just WWE showing more significance to the WWE title, which I believe has been discussed before quite thoroughly that it isn't prioritized, but I do believe it would be somewhat of a stupid move to have John Cena loose the title this quickly once more, only to regain it sooner or later anyway, making him, what.. 10 times world champion?..

I don't know if it's WWE prioritizing the WWE title holders over the World Heavyweight Championship title holders, but I think as Opportunist mentioned, it would end another John Cena reign way too fast, and I don't think that's what the majority of the WWE fans want to see, since there's a quite obvious bunch of John Cena fans.

On the other hand, Jericho held the title for about 36 (or so) days, making it at least a little bit more acceptable for him to loose it now, also seeing to the fact that I believe Jericho is going into some jury position, which calls for him to be off for a few weeks, so why not have Jack cash it on the person that's most likely to be absent from WWE television in the coming weeks, instead of having Edge win the title, and John Cena loosing his on RAW.

So I really must admit I don't know if it's just WWE showing more significance to the WWE title, which I believe has been discussed before quite thoroughly that it isn't prioritized, but I do believe it would be somewhat of a stupid move to have John Cena loose the title this quickly once more, only to regain it sooner or later anyway, making him, what.. 10 times world champion?..

they announced on his twitter that it wan a april fools day joke. he isnt taking time off. i honestly think they did this so they could have a tv match without the title involved. also, if Swagger goes against these 2, they will probably make him look better than Cena/Batista would. Thats just my opinion though.

they announced on his twitter that it wan a april fools day joke. he isnt taking time off.

I see, didn't read that one.. can't exactly say why they would have Jericho loose the title now then, I guess it's a way of freshening the feud between Jericho and Edge up a little bit, like they did after Extreme Rules between Jeff and Edge with involving Punk, something tells me this could be a repeater, and a potential turn into a Edge vs Swagger or Jericho vs Swagger feud, either way I'll be looking forward to seeing how they'll do it.

i honestly think they did this so they could have a tv match without the title involved. also, if Swagger goes against these 2, they will probably make him look better than Cena/Batista would. Thats just my opinion though.

They could've just made the TV match without the title being on the line, could've turned it something like "you gotta earn your shot playah (Teddy Long)" and have the match.
But I guess letting him feud with Edge and Jericho above Batista and John Cena making him seem more legit if he beats those, looking back with Cena beating Swagger in every possibly encounter they've had, so it would seem odd if he all of a sudden won over Cena.

So they should have had John Cena lose the belt from a cash in for the 3RD TIME? No way bro. That would just add fuel to Cena hate tank losing the belt again and having another worthless title reign. Awful idea

yoda_failed.jpg

There were reports that Thwagger was going to Smackdown! arepund draft time anyways. So for him to win the "SD! Title" seems logical. It can also lend to a storyline that to me has gotten a little old. Eventhough Edge faced Jericho once since the tag breakup. Jericho planted seeds for this feud almost a full year ago and it took forever for us to get there.

If Hericho just moved on, had the Jeri-Show run, and then for the FIRST time, called out Edge at the Slammys then the fued would feel more fresh.

Back to Thwagger, what seems illogical is for him to cash it in on the very first Smackdown! since 'Mania. It seems like they (WWE) had it in their minds to have Jack win it anyways. If this was the case, he should've done it at the PPV. It would've been the first time it was done, and a HUGE surprise for anyone who didn't watch Wrestlemania.

Edge vs. Jericho and JACK THWAGGER is the new champ? = WTF? I'm watching Smackdown!

I was actually thinking that too, but I, just like you, may be thinking too much into it. The WWE Championship was always treated as the superior championship, due to its "longer history" and its more prestigous holders. However, they are both World Championships and should be looked at as equals. Maybe that's why WWE has made superstars cash in on the World Heavyweight Champion and not the WWE Champion.

When I was watching Raw last week and the week before, I kept hearing Jack Swagger talk about the WWE Championship, and not the World Heavyweight Championship. That made me wonder whether or not WWE would break the 3-year trend of having Mr. Money in the Bank cash in on the World Heavyweight Champion. However, it'd make sense for Jack Swagger to cash in on the World Heavyweight Champion or the WWE Champion... he chose World Heavyweight.

Holding the World Heavyweight Championship and holding the WWE Championship doesn't determine how credible a champion you are. It's WWE Creative that helps determine how credible a champion you will be. If you're booked right, even the Divas Champion could have a more credible title reign than the WWE Champion. So, it really doesn't matter which World Title you win after cashing in the briefcase... you just know that you are a World Champion, and later look back and say, you were a former World Champion.

Well, you have to to assume that WWE wants to market its up and coming stars by giving them the ultimate push by giving them MITB. What better way is there that to allow them to come out of nowhere and beat the company's prominent superstars. It not only gives the superstar, like Swagger, an opportunity to be relevant for the up and coming PPV's, but also gain popularity and hate from the fans for different endeavorers in the company. Whether it means future world champion is all up to the superstar's ability to garner either support or disgust from the crowd enough to make Vince feel their viable for years to come.

Swagger is an instant star you can tell he has the whole package and they wont take the title off of cena come on not till summerslam to prep for his victory and next title rain starting next wrestlemania

I was kinda disappointed when Kennedy got injured. KEnnedy was very over after winning the MITB and it would of made a good angle. He claimed he wanted to wait all year but than again i always thought that was a fake out to the champs.

YES IT IS.BUT I THINK THE WWE SHOULD BULID THE MONEY IN THE BANK WINNER AS THE ULTIMATE UNDERDOG OR A UPPER MID CARDERAND AS A JOBBER LIKE JACK SWAGGER.BUT IN RECENT FUTURE THERE WILL ABSOULTELY BE ONE WHO WILL FAILED TO CASH THE CONTRACT MOST PROBABLY FOR SHOCK VALUE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back