MMA News and Tidbits

I didn't mind Hardonk too much actually. It's abit sad that his relatively young MMA career is over. I just didnt think he should have been fighting in MMA honestly. As a one dimensional fighter he had no right to have been competing, as I think with most one dimensional strikers. He will do just as a coach though because of his experiences. I'd certainly like to wish him luck for his future and hope it is more successful than his MMA fighting career.

Have you seen the sparring video with omar henry? His stance is way to upright, no head movement, no decent guard, lousy footwork

Yes, I have.

And all the flaws you mention about Diaz is correct, but the things is... all his positives more than make up for his negatives. His chin is the reason why he doesn't need tremendous head movement. Much like Jake LaMotta, he's willing to take one shot to deliver five of his own. Plus his reach and height advantage on most fighters in and around his weight class will help him a lot as well from getting hit upstairs. And Footwork? Diaz doesn't need great footwork because he's the aggressor, always moving forward and always throwing punches to keep his opponent on the defensive.

With Diaz's style, for someone to defeat him, they will have to knock him out, because with his fighting style and his cardio to go all day long, he will outpoint most non-elite boxers. He will be the type who looks bad early on, but then starts to dominate in the later rounds because his stamina is out of this World and because of his ability to take punches. Mark my words.

way too slow and wide delivering punches to make any impact on a boxer.

This is a false statement. Diaz is not slow, nor are his punches wild. There is a method behind everything he throws. I've seen him train mits and when he wants to be, he can throw really fast. But, that's not his style. He wants to throw punches in bunches, and wear his opponent out before coming on really strong.

Also, I just think it's wrong you're completely judging the guy off of one training video. Amir Khan beat Manny Pacquiao in training, but that doesn't mean he'll be Pacquiao in an actual fight. Sparring is just that... sparring. It's nothing to judge a fighter on. Wait to you actually see Diaz fight before you pass judgment on him.

Better stick to where he is making money and stay the hell out of boxing because he has no business there. No more so than James Toney had taking a cage fight and getting embarrassed.

If Diaz was fighting Sergio Martinez... I'd agree with you. However, Diaz can kick Lacy's ass, as well as many other lower-tier "big name" boxers. Diaz isn't ready for the elite, but he can still make a name for himself in the sport of boxing. I'm sure of it.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship provides a $100,000 insurance policy on each fighter during one of its cards to cover any injuries the athlete sustains in a match. Most state athletic commissions require $50,000 worth of coverage and some require as low as $25,000 per athlete.

But the worst-case scenario for a mixed martial arts fighter is to suffer an injury days before a fight that requires him or her to pull out of a scheduled bout. That means no paycheck, as well as a stack of medical bills, because the event insurance only covered injuries suffered during a match. As independent contractors, the fighters are only paid if they compete and, until now, the UFC has not been responsible for paying for out-of-competition injuries.

Zuffa LLC, the company that owns both UFC and Strikeforce, is taking steps to erase that problem. Lorenzo Fertitta, the UFC’s chairman and chief executive officer, said the company plans to offer accident insurance that will cover approximately 350 athletes in the event of out-of-competition injury, effective June 1.

MMA fighters and boxers are not employees. They are independent contractors and thus aren’t eligible for things like health-care coverage.

But injuries to fighters, either in the cage or during training, can be disastrous. That’s why Fertitta said he and UFC president Dana White began looking into the potential of offering the fighters accident insurance nearly three years ago.

Zuffa will pay 100 percent of the premiums, Fertitta said, and will have a full-time employee who will coordinate the claims process.

“We looked at this as a necessity for the sport and something that needed to happen,” Fertitta said. “We have talked about this for a long time and we have always had the same position when asked how fighters could have insurance outside of the fights. Like we said, it’s tough enough to get insurance just as a business, in and of itself, with how expensive it is.

“When you go to an underwriter and say, ‘Hey, we potentially want to insure 400 ultimate fighters,’ they pretty much close the door on you pretty quickly. We didn’t just give up, given the responses we were getting and the answers we were getting from a lot of these carriers. We continued on and it has been a 24-to-36-month process we have been going through to do it. We were adamant we were going to find a way to put this together.”

Fertitta said Zuffa has paid expenses for fighters who suffered training injuries previously, but noted that by getting a carrier – Houston Casualty Insurance Company, an A+ rated carrier by A.M. Best – the new plan will guarantee that all are covered.

The insurance the fighters are being provided is separate and distinct from health care insurance many workers get through their employers, which pays for things like doctor’s visits, hospitalization and prescription drugs. Zuffa is not offering the fighters that type of coverage.

But the accident coverage would have been helpful to former light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz several years ago. He injured his back in a fight and filed a claim under the UFC’s plan. But because Ortiz had done an interview in which he said the injury occurred in training, the insurance carrier denied the claim.

With the policy Zuffa is providing its fighters as of June 1, the injury Ortiz suffered would have been covered. And because it is accident insurance, the plan will cover a fighter if, for example, he slips while walking on ice and sprains an ankle.

“This will cover accidents that occur while a fighter is under contract with us,” Zuffa general counsel Lawrence Epstein said. “Those accidents could occur in training or it could also be something like an automobile accident. A fighter could be driving to the grocery store and gets involved in an automobile accident and has an injury. This policy would cover him.

“It’s not a policy you would typically see in an employer-employee relationship. It’s more akin to an auto insurance scenario, where any acute injury is going to be covered. Training injuries, a guy falls down the stairs, an automobile accident, those would be covered, but it wouldn’t be something like the flu or some disease or illness. It would only cover accident-related injuries.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...nsurance050811

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre updated his fans on the condition of his eye after retaining his world title in Toronto's Rogers Centre against top-ranked contender Jake Shields at UFC 129 on Saturday night.GSP posted an update on Twitter regarding his eye, which was seemingly bothering him throughout the second half of the fight. St-Pierre noted, "Hey guys just want to say that I am ok. I'll need to see a doctor in the next days! Yesterday I was told it was not a retina problem."
This is great news. A detached retina is a very serious injury that is delicate to operate on. Atleast he can cross that off the list of potentials.
Poor Rashad Evans.Once the UFC light heavyweight champion with a spotless record and respect amongst his colleagues, "Suga" has turned into one of the most criticized fighters in mixed martial arts.The man leading the charge is none other than his boss, company President Dana White.After Evans defeated Quinton "Rampage" Jackson back in May 2010, he was awarded a title shot against Mauricio Rua later that year. However, "Shogun" was forced to ride the pine with a knee injury.Rashad made the decision, one he's still under the gun for, to sit on the sidelines and wait for his title shot instead of staying active in the meantime.By the time the fight was just weeks away, the cruel hand of fate swooped in and Evans suffered a knee injury of his own, forcing him out of the bout. His teammate, Jon Jones, would step in to win the belt to set up a match between the two_Once again, though, fate intervened and "Bones" elected to go under the knife to indefinitely postpone the fight.
Cue Dana White criticism (via The Fight Fix):"I haven't talked to him in a while, and not because there's any problem with us. He and I are fine. We squashed all the stuff that happened before. But, I have to admit, and he knows it, and he's gonna have to admit pretty soon too, I was right. I was right and he was wrong. Here's what you don't do in the fight business, you don't sit out and say ‘I'm gonna wait for the title shot and I'll sit out for a year and wait ‘till this guy - who just blew his knee out - heals.' That's insane. You're a young guy, there's a small window of opportunity in the fight business. And, you have to stay busy, stay consistent, and keep fighting. He thought it was wrong. Shogun - he thinks he's gonna get that fight, he gets injured. Then he's next in line, and he's getting ready to fight again - his opponent gets injured. And now he's in line for another fight and the kid's been sittin' around for almost a year and a half, hasn't fought, has ring rust, and hasn't got paid in a year and a half."
Indeed, Evans will enter the Octagon on Aug. 7, 2011 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania having been out of action for over a year.And White will be there, eagerly watching his employees performance.What makes it all the more difficult for Rashad is his opponent, a game up-and-coming contender in Phil Davis, who, while lacking the same experience, is dangerous nonetheless.Very dangerous.Anyone expecting Evans to lay an egg? And if he does, will White be the first one to say "I told you so?"
Ofcourse Rashad made a mistake not taking the Shogun fight. I'm not sure just how serious the knee injury was but if he could have fought through it... knowing now that he could be waiting for the title fight now until maybe November - December. He must be kicking himself. That is if he can get past Phil Davis, if he doesn't he will have missed the boat.

This is great news. A detached retina is a very serious injury that is delicate to operate on. Atleast he can cross that off the list of potentials.

He confirmed on his Facebook fan page that it ended up being a condition called hyphema. According to Wiki (obviously the greatest medical source) some types of hyphema can be long-standing and cause permanent visual impairment so it's a good thing his can be resolved.

My medical condition is called Hyphema. My vision is still blurry and my eye sensitive but the blood in my eye has now been absorbed... My retina is find as well and my vision will come back to 100%!!! Can't be more happy!!

But yeah, thankfully it isn't something that compromises his vision long-term and he can get back at it as soon as possible.

Also, the Thiago Alves/Rick Story fight got moved up to the main card for UFC 130, which I was hoping would happen. The Spike prelims now consist of Kendal Grove vs Tim Boetsch and Miguel Torres vs Demetrious Johnson.

Did anybody else find it funny how GSP flipped out to his trainer and kept saying i can't see out of my eye. He was more concerned about his eye than his opponent. But good news on the part of GSP, eye injuries are always serious matters and he should consider himself lucky that it is nothing serious,

I'd be more fucking concerned about my eye than anything. You can't see, you take away the most important sense for a fighter. Can't fight with one eye, and Greg Jackson kept playing it off like it was nothing which when I think about it, is the smart thing to do. Still, I cannot fault GSP for freaking out about his eye. One time, I was playing tennis and one of my contacts blew out of my eye in the middle of the match. Threw off everything about my game. Very scary to be able to see out of one eye and not the other.

The UFC’s fifth live outing on cable network Versus will feature a welterweight tilt between fan-favorite slugger Chris Lytle and former title contender Dan Hardy.

Sherdog.com confirmed the news with a source close to the negotiations on Wednesday following an initial report from ESPN.com. UFC Live 5 will go down Aug. 14 at Bradley Center in Milwaukee and is expected to feature a lightweight bout between contenders Jim Miller and Benson Henderson.

Lytle had a four-fight win streak halted by fellow veteran Brian Ebersole on Feb. 27 in Australia. The 36-year-old began his professional career in 1999 and started his most recent run with the UFC in 2006 following a stint on “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 4.

Known for his willingness to stand and bang, Lytle has won “Fight of the Night” honors on five separate occasions. Though “Lights Out” has also competed as a pro boxer in the past, the bulk of the veteran’s MMA wins have been earned through grappling, as Lytle has posted 19 of his 30 career wins via submission.

Never one to shy away from a stand-up battle, Hardy is also known for his willingness to trade on the feet. Since beginning his UFC career in 2008 with four consecutive victories, the Brit has hit the hardest skid of his career. The Team Rough House representative was first turned away by welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre in March 2010, and then knocked stiff on his home soil Carlos Condit in October. Most recently, the 28-year-old was decisioned by Anthony Johnson at UFC Fight Night 24 in March.

Very solid fight here for a free card. This should be a WAR and has the potential to be one of the best fights this year. Lytle is always exciting in his fights and loves to throw. Dan Hardy will not even attempt a take down after we saw his lack of wrestling. Couple that with Lytle's 2nd degree Black Belt in BJJ and we should see a slug fest. Cannot wait.

UFC on Versus 5 is shaping up to be a great little event. Not only is Chris Lytle vs. Dan Hardy booked, but so is Jim Miller vs. Ben Henderson. Two tremendous fights.

Chris Lytle vs. Dan Hardy will undoubtedly be a stand-up war. Lytle isn't the best on his feet, but he doesn't care... all he wants to do is put on wars for the fans, which is exactly why he's one of my favorite fighters. Dan Hardy has a similar mind-set, but I think that's because he's not really good at anything else other than his boxing (Lytle has incredible Jiu-Jitsu to go with his boxing). So, yeah... this actually promises to be a great fight, and these two will come through with that promise.

Jim Miller vs. Ben Henderson is impossible to call. Could literally go either way, but it's also promised to be a great fight as well. Can't wait to see it.

Chris Lytle vs Dan Hardy is going to be a straight war. both men like to slug it out and have made a name off doing so. The problem is here that he is that Lytle can fall back on his BJJ Black Belt... where Dan on has only his striking to rely on. I guess his extremely high pain threshold is another positive. This has all of the trimmings to be a classic slug fest. I'd have to take Chris Lytle though, he is the more rounded of the two.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23586/brock-lesnar-out-of-ufc-131-junior-dos-santos-now-faces-shane-carwin.mma

Lesnar's out now, hope he gets well soon, it hasn't been easy for him these past 18 months concerning his health, but onto the fight, I honestly can't wait. That's what I love about the heavyweight division now, whenever someone goes down, there's always another exciting fighter to step up in their place, and put up a great fight, even though Lesnar vs. JDS would have been an amazing fight, and a great clash of styles, I'm still really looking forward to that fight, both can definitely take Cain down once he comes back.

Versus 5 is looking better and better by each day. I can't wait to see it. Miller vs. Henderson could really go either way. Miller has some very good striking, solid BJJ, and good wrestling. He really is one of the more well rounded fighters in the Lightweight division and he will finally get a great test, in terms of being ready for a title shot, against Bendo. Bendo is another very well rounded guy, who is also tough as hell. It also won't be as easy for Miller to utilize his BJJ seeing as Bendo is probably the most flexible guy in the entire division and it has really helped him avoid submissions so far in his career. Should be a very evenly matched fight and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

And then there is Chris Lytle vs. Dan Hardy. What a fucking war this one should turn out to be. Lytle loves to put on a show, so there are no worries of this one being a lay n' pray style fight like Hardy/Johnson was. Lytle will throw with anyone, he just doesn't give a fuck and loves putting on a show for the fans. And we all already know what Hardy's bread and butter is. The only thing that intrigues me is if Lytle will try and take Hardy down and tap him out, but it will be fun to watch regardless.

The Las Vegas Review Journal reports that UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and former training partner Rashad Evans had a disagreement in a club on Wednesday night that apparently led to some physicality between the two. The fighters, who are both in town for the UFC Fighter Summit, crossed paths at a nightclub called Surrender and had to be calmed down by UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre. GSP happened to be sitting at the next table with Tito Ortiz.

This is not the first confrontation between the two in the past few weeks. At a Zuffa party for UFC 129, the two had an amusing run-in, described by Rashad here:

"I seen him in Toronto and walked by him and he looked at me and said "What you lookin' at?' and I said "What you lookin' at?" Then he said "You a clown!" and I said "You a clown!" and that was it....it was nothing."

The beef between the two is well-known, with them starting out as training partners and friends but gradually sliding into becoming potential opponents and enemies. The two were set to face off at UFC 133 for the light heavyweight title, but an injury to Jones derailed the fight. Evans will now face Phil Davis at the event in Philadelphia on August 6th.

Cant these fighters ever just get along in public? I guess that is the problem when you have testosterone infested fighters and decide to drink. I haven't seen video of it and don't think I will.

Notice GSP is sitting next to Tito Ortiz? Is this the beginning of Tito at Tri-Star or Greg Jackson's?

Gil T Azell said:
I didn't mind Hardonk too much actually.

You're literally the only MMA fan with more of a "who gives a shit" opinion on Antoni Hardonk, WHO HASN'T FOUGHT SINCE A PRELIM FIGHT IN 2009.

It's abit sad that his relatively young MMA career is over.

To you, Hardonk and his family I guess?
I just didnt think he should have been fighting in MMA honestly. As a one dimensional fighter he had no right to have been competing, as I think with most one dimensional strikers.

But you prefaced your opinion on him being "someone you didn't mind" and even argued it was a "bit sad his relatively young MMA career was over".

Make up your mind.

Hardonk by the way had no future in MMA.

Gil T Azell said:
Chris Lytle vs Dan Hardy is going to be a straight war. both men like to slug it out and have made a name off doing so. The problem is here that he is that Lytle can fall back on his BJJ Black Belt... where Dan on has only his striking to rely on. I guess his extremely high pain threshold is another positive. This has all of the trimmings to be a classic slug fest. I'd have to take Chris Lytle though, he is the more rounded of the two.

It really doesn't. Hardy has no takedown defense. Anyone who doesn't expect a 3 round lay and pray fest, such as yourself, doesn't really know anything about MMA. I could lay on Hardy for three rounds.

Cant these fighters ever just get along in public? I guess that is the problem when you have testosterone infested fighters and decide to drink. I haven't seen video of it and don't think I will.

Notice GSP is sitting next to Tito Ortiz? Is this the beginning of Tito at Tri-Star or Greg Jackson's?

I fight for a living. The #1 Contender of the Light Heavyweight division happens to be a training partner or in this case, an ex-training partner. Anyone with a brain in Jones' position would have absolutely taken the title shot REGARDLESS if you're on a team.

By the way, "You a Clown" apparently is 100% fighting words now. Watch out.

GSP has no problem with Tito. You should have no problem with them being friends, you weirdo.

In related news.
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will not be having surgery on his injured right hand after all.

Jones' agent Malki Kawa confirmed the news via Twitter and to MMA Fighting Friday.

According to Kawa, Jones flew to Las Vegas earlier in the week to meet with hand specialist Dr. James Vahey. Jones' surgery was scheduled for Thursday, but after meeting with Dr. Vahey on Wednesday, Jones was advised against surgery and told that it would have been too invasive.

So Dr. Vahey placed Jones' right hand in a cast for a month. There is still a chance that Jones will need surgery to correct the injury in the future.

You're literally the only MMA fan with more of a "who gives a shit" opinion on Antoni Hardonk, WHO HASN'T FOUGHT SINCE A PRELIM FIGHT IN 2009.

So because someone fights in a preliminary fight, that means that he is devoid of a fan following. It's good to know, thats how you feel.

To you, Hardonk and his family I guess?

He obviously had other fans. Saying this is an obvious lie.

But you prefaced your opinion on him being "someone you didn't mind" and even argued it was a "bit sad his relatively young MMA career was over".

Make up your mind.

To me it is a saddening thing. Because he could have been better than what he was. It was a relatively small career and someone I didn't mind because he was a no nonsense type of fighter.

Hardonk by the way had no future in MMA.

So that automatically means he doesn't deserve a following because he started MMA at an advanced age. That's good to know.

It really doesn't. Hardy has no takedown defense. Anyone who doesn't expect a 3 round lay and pray fest, such as yourself, doesn't really know anything about MMA. I could lay on Hardy for three rounds.

Stop it with the bullshit, you aren't skilled enough to lay and pray on anyone. Hardy would sweep, mount and pound you out. So saying you could even LnP on him is another lie you have used to try and twist my words around.

I fight for a living. The #1 Contender of the Light Heavyweight division happens to be a training partner or in this case, an ex-training partner. Anyone with a brain in Jones' position would have absolutely taken the title shot REGARDLESS if you're on a team.

I don't care whether he took the shot or not. Actually congratulations to him. I always said he didnt deserve it but that didnt mean he wasn't ready for it.

By the way, "You a Clown" apparently is 100% fighting words now. Watch out.

I don't understand this part.

GSP has no problem with Tito. You should have no problem with them being friends, you weirdo.

Are you smoking crack today. I clearly said that maybe Tito could be going to Tri Star. I through it out there to make a branched off topic of speculation. Is this just a game for you to try and unsuccessfully rile me up.

So because someone fights in a preliminary fight, that means that he is devoid of a fan following. It's good to know, thats how you feel.

He's not as big a draw as you think he is, considering the fact that he's slated to fight not on the main card or Spike, but on FACEBOOK. Watch out Middleweight division, Mayhem's being fast-tracked to a title shot!

He obviously had other fans. Saying this is an obvious lie.

To me it is a saddening thing. Because he could have been better than what he was. It was a relatively small career and someone I didn't mind because he was a no nonsense type of fighter.

So that automatically means he doesn't deserve a following because he started MMA at an advanced age. That's good to know.

Please prove to me where people were lining up to see ANTONI HARDONK fight.

Stop it with the bullshit, you aren't skilled enough to lay and pray on anyone. Hardy would sweep, mount and pound you out. So saying you could even LnP on him is another lie you have used to try and twist my words around.

Apparently my sarcasm in saying Hardy has horrible takedown defense was lost on you.
Are you smoking crack today. I clearly said that maybe Tito could be going to Tri Star. I through it out there to make a branched off topic of speculation. Is this just a game for you to try and unsuccessfully rile me up.

I thought it was a rhetorical question because Tito would never train with Tri Star considering the fact that he has his own camp he trains out of.

It appears Shinya Aoki is one step closer to having a definitive opponent for Dream 17 "Fight for Japan," as sources tell Sherdog.com that Antonio McKee has signed a contract to face the lightweight ace at the end of May.

Aoki should have pushed for Varner considering he's a bad fighter. Regardless, I would say McKee would wrestle the crap out of Aoki but it's in Japan and I'm sure McKee could use a few extra bucks promised to him that he'll never see.

Daniel Cormier will face the stiffest test of his nascent MMA career when the two-time U.S. Olympic wrestler goes up against onetime UFC title contender Jeff Monson.

The heavyweight tilt was added over the weekend to the bill for Strikeforce “Overeem vs. Werdum,” which takes place June 18 at American Airlines Center in Dallas. Headlining the Showtime-televised event are the two remaining quarterfinals in Strikeforce’s 2011 heavyweight grand prix, with current Strikeforce heavyweight champ Alistair Overeem rematching Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett meeting Brett Rogers.

Cormier, 32, is undefeated through his first seven starts and has stopped six opponents via knockout or submission. The current King of the Cage heavyweight champion, Cormier was last seen on Jan. 7, when he notched a one-sided unanimous decision over International Fight League veteran Devin Cole. The American Kickboxing Academy product was originally expected to meet fellow unbeaten prospect Shane Del Rosario on the Dallas card, but Del Rosario was forced to withdraw after sustaining serious injuries in an April 18 car accident.

Fighting out of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., Monson has been one of the sport’s most consistently active fighters in recent years. Since losing a five-round bid for Tim Sylvia’s UFC heavyweight strap in November 2006, “The Snowman” has competed 24 times for more than 20 different promotions around the globe. The 40-year-old Monson has already fought thrice in 2011, taking out former KOTC heavyweight king Tony Lopez, Croatian prospect Maro Perak and Lee Mein.

I love Jeff Monson, so this fight excites me. It'll be a great test for Cromier, who is a terrific prospect in the Heavyweight division but lacks a top notch win yet. Monson is a grinder with a great north/south choke and Cromier has been very well rounded so far. I don't really see this fight ending early, the winner will come by way of decision but it could really go either way. Cromier has the skills needed to beat Monson, but Monson is a very crafty veteran who just does not lose fights.

And in other news, it is being reported that Bradon Schaub vs. Big Nog has been signed for UFC Rio. If this fight actually does come to fruition I hope to god Big Nog knocks Schaub's head off. Schaub is a cocky asshole who needs to get his block knocked off like Big Country did to him. Of course my biased feelings are coming out since Schaub is attempting to be the "Pride killer" but I will be firmly supporting Nogueira in this fight.

I love Jeff Monson, so this fight excites me. It'll be a great test for Cromier, who is a terrific prospect in the Heavyweight division but lacks a top notch win yet. Monson is a grinder with a great north/south choke and Cromier has been very well rounded so far. I don't really see this fight ending early, the winner will come by way of decision but it could really go either way. Cromier has the skills needed to beat Monson, but Monson is a very crafty veteran who just does not lose fights.

And in other news, it is being reported that Bradon Schaub vs. Big Nog has been signed for UFC Rio. If this fight actually does come to fruition I hope to god Big Nog knocks Schaub's head off. Schaub is a cocky asshole who needs to get his block knocked off like Big Country did to him. Of course my biased feelings are coming out since Schaub is attempting to be the "Pride killer" but I will be firmly supporting Nogueira in this fight.

Well INDY I could not agree more, I am extremly excited to see Monson-Cromier go down June 18th and I am praying that Nog can pull of a win against Schaub.

I've been a Monson fan since he North South Choked Brandon Lee Hinkle at UFC 57, he's a tough vet that most hardcore MMA fans know well. Cromier is a very interesting prospect though, his wrestling credentials are out of this world and i think he has potential, but I think Monson is going to be just a little too much for him and I give it to Monson by decision.

This whole Pride Killer thing is killing me, it's like a bad knock off of Randy Orton's Legend Killer gimmick in the WWE. However things are different in MMA and I think that Schaub getting built up by beating legends that I love but are past their prime is only making his record and ego grow. Nog should be fighting someone like Cro Cop who is around the same point in his career, now I know that would be impossible with Cro Cop not being able to fight in the UFC anymore according to Dana but thats just an example. I dont think Schaub beating Gonzaga and Cro Cop should be looked at as such an accomplishment, yes they are legends and they deserve all the respect in the world but this is just a really shitty way to build a guy up. If you're a Schaub fan i'm sorry, if the guy wants to be relevant at heavyweight have him fight someone in the mix who isnt at the gates of retirement. Nog all the way :bringit:

Since March, UFC up-and-comer Brendan Schaub has campaigned for a fight with heavyweight legend Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Today, he got it.

The UFC confirmed Monday that Schaub and Nogueira will square off at UFC 134 “Rio” on Aug. 27. Set to take place at HSBC Arena in Nogueira’s home base of Rio de Janeiro, the pay-per-view event will be headlined by a middleweight title bout between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Yushin Okami.

Lex McMahon, Schaub’s manager, told ESPN.com on Sunday that the Coloradan’s side had been “lobbying daily for the fight” against Nogueira.

Schaub, 28, holds a record of 8-1 is viewed as one of the UFC’s top heavyweight prospects. The Grudge Training Center representative entered the Octagon by way of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show; Schaub reached the 10th-season finals, where he was dealt the first defeat of his career in the form of a Roy Nelson knockout.

Since that December 2009 loss, Schaub has reeled off four straight wins, including three via knockout. The “Hybrid” took a unanimous decision over former title contender Gabriel Gonzaga in October, and most recently served up a knockout of former Pride Fighting Championships star Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic at UFC 128 on March 19.

Another heavyweight from the fabled Pride ring, Nogueira, 34, possesses a career mark of 32-6-1 (one no-contest). The former UFC interim titleholder has not competed since his February 2010 knockout loss to current heavyweight ruler Cain Velasquez and has since undergone both knee and dual hip surgery.

Since entering the UFC in July 2007, “Minotauro” has posted a 3-2 record, suffering the first stoppage losses of his career to Velasquez and Frank Mir, while topping Randy Couture, Tim Sylvia and Heath Herring. The Brazilian’s lengthy ledger is bolstered by wins over “Cro Cop,” Josh Barnett and Fabricio Werdum.

Seems like Schaub wants to be a little legend killer as of late. He is quickly becoming one of my least liked fighters in MMA. I just hate how highly the guy speaks of himself. I'm all for being cocky and confident, but the guy got KOed by Roy Nelson not to long ago and attempts to shit on other fighters. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING would make me happier than to see Nog rip this fuckers arm off. I love Big Nog, what he has been able to do in this sport after such a rough childhood is nothing short of amazing. One of the most classy fighters, and best legends in the game. I want him to destroy Schaub.

Daniel Cormier vs. Jeff Monsoon is a very interesting fight, but it's nothing to get excited about since I highly doubt they air it on television. I'm hoping the one thing that rubs off from the UFC onto Strikeforce is that when a fight ends early, go ahead and air a Preliminary Fight. And this is easily turning out to be the most stacked Preliminary Card Strikeforce has ever had. Not only will Daniel Cormier vs. Jeff Monsoon will presumably be on it, but if Strikeforce has only four main card fights like usual... then that leaves K.J. Noons vs. Jorge Masvidal left to be on the Prelim card as well, unless Wiki's information is accurate in that Monsoon vs. Cormier will be on the main card, while Gina Carano's fight will be on the prelim, but I HIGHLY doubt that since they've been promoting the fuck out of her return (including giving her a spot on the event poster). I don't know, man... let's just hope Strikeforce has 5 main card fights and airs a prelim fight or two if a couple of main card fights end early. If they do that, then this card will definitely end up being an MMA Show of the Year candidate.

Anyways, I see Daniel Cormier grapplefucking Monsoon for 3 straight rounds, unless Monsoon is able to pull something off his back (which he is capable of, but I still see Cormier dominating the fight with his far superior wrestling).

And as far as Big Nog vs. Schaub is concerned... heavily, HEAVILY for rooting Big Nog to either knock that fucker out or tap his ass out. I believe he can do it, too.

Well guys, the NY Senate just passed the bill to legalize MMA in New York. The votes were 42-18. Senate has passed the bill last summer but it was nowhere near as dominate. To get the sport legalized fully, the bill needs to get through the Assembly which has that cunt Bill O'Reilly. This is a step in the right direction but all we can do is pray at this point.

Hatsu Hioki is Shooto 143-pound world champion no more.

The world-ranked featherweight Tuesday issued a statement announcing that he has vacated his title in anticipation of an extended leave from the organization in which he has fought the majority of his nearly nine year professional career.

“At this time, I’ve returned the Shooto world lightweight title,” wrote Hioki, who won the belt with a May 2010 split decision over then-champ “Lion” Takeshi Inoue. “There is a pride in wearing the Shooto world title, but I think that, in the near future, I would like to challenge a new stage of pride.”

Hioki went on to state that he will remain closely tied to pro Shooto, as well as the amateur Shooto scene in Nagoya, Hioki’s birthplace and base camp at Alive gym.

Hioki, 27, has for months been rumored to be eying a leap stateside, likely to compete in the UFC’s newly formed featherweight division. While Hioki did not cite a promotion by name in his statement, Sherdog.com has learned from a source close to the fighter that Hioki will be in attendance at UFC 131 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, on June 11.

Public comments from Zuffa officials have also indicated that Hioki’s presence would be welcomed with open arms.

“If Hioki wanted in the UFC, I would be happy to have him,” UFC Matchmaker Sean Shelby told MMAFighting.com in February. “I wasn’t looking to add talent until June or July, but I would make room for Hioki at any point.”

Shelby noted at the time that there had been no negotiations between the UFC and Hioki’s management due to Hioki’s contract with Sengoku Raiden Championship promoter World Victory Road. The future of SRC is currently unknown, the company having fallen virtually silent since funding from main sponsor Don Quijote was pulled in January.

Hioki has long been considered one of MMA’s finest 143-pounders, a reputation he upheld in claiming Marlon Sandro’s SRC featherweight title on Dec. 30 with a stunning five-round performance. The “Iron Broomstick” returned to the Shooto ring April 29, where submitted King of the Cage bantamweight champ Donald Sanchez via second-round triangle choke.

Sporting a record of 24-4-2, Hioki has been defeated only once in his past 14 fights, a highly contentious split decision loss to Michihiro Omigawa in November 2009. Hioki has twice beaten current UFC contender Mark Hominick and also holds notable victories over Rumina Sato, Jeff Curran and Ronnie Mann.

I'm pumped now. Rumor was that he was leaving and it finally happened. Hopefully now we get to witness him against the Jose Aldo to determine the true #1 FW in the world. Hioki is the only fighter at FW that I believe can beat Aldo and if they do fight, it will be awesome. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

Since the March acquisition of Strikeforce by UFC parent company Zuffa, LLC, fans have clamored for one cross-promotional bout above all others: a showdown between dominant welterweight champions Georges St. Pierre (pictured) and Nick Diaz.

At first, the fight appeared highly likely to come to fruition. Then, suddenly, in early May, Diaz declared his intention to move to the boxing ring, and talks of the bout dissipated.

On May 23, however, Diaz’s boxing promoter, Don Chargin, issued a press release stating that Diaz had decided to stick with MMA due to an “opportunity of a lifetime.” Around the same time, Diaz was reportedly summoned to Las Vegas for a meeting with UFC President Dana White.

On Wednesday, White finally said the words fans longed to hear.

“You wanted it, you got it,” White wrote on Twitter. “GSP vs. Diaz... UFC 137.”

UFC 137 has yet to be officially announced by the promotion, though White stated that the event will take place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. No further information was immediately available, such as whether or not the matchup will be a title unification bout.

St. Pierre, 30, has reigned over the UFC’s 170-pound division since 2007, defending his title six times and winning a remarkable 33 consecutive rounds. The French Canadian’s latest defense came against Diaz campmate Jake Shields in a five-round rout at UFC 129 on April 30.

In sharp contrast to the amiable GSP stands Diaz, 27, a figure often as brash and controversial as he has been impressive in his 16-month stint as Strikeforce welterweight ace. Diaz’s in-cage style also differs greatly from his just-announced opponent: whereas St. Pierre has gone the distance in five of his previous six bouts, Diaz has finished all but one of his last 10 foes. Most recently, the Stockton, Calif., native retained his belt by blasting British striker Paul Daley on April 9.

Hell motherfucking yes!!! The single most anticipated fight of the year has finally been made and I cannot wait to see it go down. I know I am not along in really wanting to see this go down. I honestly believe Nick Diaz will be GSP's biggest test to date and probably the most well rounded fighter to face St. Pierre during his current run as champ. This fight could really go either way in my eyes, Diaz is the better grappler and amazing off of his back. GSP has tremendous wrestling and both guys are pretty technical with their striking. It should be a great chess match to watch play out.

Lol Diaz will get beaten by Fitch let alone St Pierre. I can't wait for this fight as undoubtedly research and JMT's interest in Diaz have made me a huge fan, pehaps an even larger fan than I am of Georges but I do not see Diaz getting anywhere close to nuetralizing St Pierre's takedowns and top control. GSP via decision. Most anticiated fight of the year in my book.

Details have started to come into focus regarding a previously announced UFC welterweight clash between Matt Hughes and Diego Sanchez.

Sanchez (Pictured; file photo) tweeted an update regarding his planned bout with the UFC Hall of Famer on Wednesday evening, revealing the date and location of the contest.

“Fighting in Denver [on] Sept. 24,” Sanchez wrote. “Mark your calendars!”

While not officially announced by the promotion, the Sept. 24 event is expected to be UFC 135 at Denver’s Pepsi Center. The event will mark the UFC’s first trip to the Mile High City since 1995.

Sanchez, winner of the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” rides back-to-back victories into his showdown with Hughes. The Greg Jackson product has gone 2-1 since returning to 170 pounds following a failed lightweight title bid. Sanchez most recently followed up a hard-fought victory over Paulo Thiago by outpointing Martin Kampmann in a contentious and bloody March decision at UFC Live 3.

A former two-time UFC welterweight champion, Hughes recently had a three-fight winning streak snapped by old rival B.J. Penn in November. After rattling off victories over Matt Serra, Renzo Gracie and Ricardo Almeida, Hughes lasted just 21 seconds in his rubber match with Penn. The Hawaiian clipped Hughes with a sharp right hand that sent him reeling to the canvas, and “The Prodigy” finished the job with ground and pound to take the deciding bout in the three-fight series.

Should be a fantastic fight. Both are very good on the ground and have great wrestling. They each also have fairly good standup. This fight could very well be Hughes's last if he loses as well. I'm a huge fan of Diego and hate Hughes so i'll be rooting for Diego even though I think it'd be nice for Hughes to win then retire. Great fight regardless.

Also, Barnett still isn't licensed for his fight.

Man, I honestly believe Diego vs. Hughes could go either way. Obviously Diego has the advantage when it comes to conditioning. The man can go. But, Hughes has been around for a long time and knows how to win. His wrestling and boxing will be the key to him winning. Hughes might have the better technical striking, but Diego is wild and unpredictable at times, not to mention he is a warrior. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

Also, in regards to the Barnett license thing. If he doesn't end up getting licensed and fighting it could very well be the straw that breaks the camels back. It might be what finally gets him completely blacklisted from any major fight organization in America. Good thing he knows how to cut a promo and wrassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back