MLB Hall Of Fame Results & Discussion

The Brain

King Of The Ring
It’s been over 24 hours since the MLB Hall of Fame results were announced and there’s been a lot of discussion about it. There hasn’t been any discussion here so allow me to give a breakdown of the main talking points.

The Electees: The HOF class of 2014 will include Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and Frank Thomas. I don’t have much to say about them as they are all obvious hall of famers. Unfortunately these days the more intriguing stories are about those that didn’t get in as opposed to those that did. Congratulations to these three deserving players.

No One Gets 100%: This comes as no surprise as inexplicably no player has ever achieved 100% of the vote. Many people thought Greg Maddux had a chance at a unanimous selection but he ended up with 97.2%. At first I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that someone could submit a ballot without including Maddux. This year I could see some strategic reasoning behind that decision. A lot of people wanted to vote for more than ten people this year and leaving Maddux off in favor of someone that was not likely to get as much support does make sense considering Maddux was a lock anyway. What doesn’t make sense is how no one has ever had unanimous support. Dozens of players should have received 100% of the vote over the years. The fact that supposedly qualified people decided Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, and many others were not hall of fame players is ludicrous. I’m getting off topic of this year but that kind of thinking pisses me off.

Two Votes Shy: Just two votes kept Craig Biggio out of the hall this year. Obviously Biggio will eventually get in, very likely next year, but it has to be disappointing for someone who deserved to be a first ballot hall of famer to get so close and have to wait another year.

The Crowded Ballot: It’s why Maddux didn’t get more votes. It’s why Biggio fell just short. It’s why first timers like Mike Mussina and Jeff Kent didn’t get much support. It’s why almost every single player got fewer votes this year than last year. There has been a lot of talk among the voters about being able to vote for as many players as they want instead of being limited to ten. Here’s a newsflash for the voters, YOU are the reason there is such a crowded ballot. If they would have done the right thing last year and voted in the deserving players instead of playing morality judge, jury, and executioner the ballot would not be nearly as crowded and they could have used their votes the way they wanted. Last year the voters drew their line in the sand. They thought they made a big statement and now they’re paying for it. A limitation of ten votes seems unnecessary but it has never been a problem before. Up until the last couple years I doubt I would have ever voted for more than five if given the opportunity. Now because the voters decided to take a year off we have a problem that may take years to solve.

Rafael Palmeiro Falls Off: Guys like Sosa and McGriff got criminally low support in the vote but at least they will return to the ballot. Palmeiro received less than 5% so he is done. This is one of only four players ever to have over 500 home runs and 3000 hits. FOUR PLAYERS EVER. How can he not be in the HOF?

The PED Factor: It’s been discussed to death. It’s the obvious answer to my question about Palmeiro. It’s why Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Bagwell, and McGwire are not in. It’s something I do not care about. People love to compare baseball stats from different eras and insist it can realistically be done because the game hasn’t changed much over time. That is absolutely ridiculous. There are so many variables from the many eras over the past century plus that make comparing stats impossible. PED is just another variable. I find it more offensive that a black player was not allowed in the league until 1947 than players taking PED for a 15 year period. Those 15 years happened. You can’t erase them from history. Let the players that dominated that era in the HOF. It will help clear up that crowded ballot and allow future generations to know baseball did exist in the 90s and early 00s.
http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=115356

Jacque Jones: He got one vote. Only one. He’s off the ballot so no harm done. Who in the blue hell voted for Jacque Jones and how can that person possibly justify that decision? This person is qualified to vote for the HOF? The committee needs to revaluate those they let vote.

Dan Le Batard: They have done just that by stripping Dan Le Batard of his privilege after he sent his ballot to Deadspin allowing fans to decide who was selected on his ballot. While I’m not crazy about his decision and understand whey the committee took his vote away at least his ballot did not include Jacque Jones or Armando Benetiz.

The Trend: Many thought Bonds and Clemens would gain some support after being ‘punished’ for one year. That did not happen. What’s more disturbing is nobody except Mike Piazza gained any ground and just about everyone went backwards. It looks like Piazza will eventually get in but he is probably still a couple years away. Even though he lost some support this year Bagwell is still getting enough to think he will eventually get in too. First timers Mussina and Kent got very little support but I think Mussina will get a lot more support in 2016. He just happened to come on the ballot at the same time as Maddux and Glavine, and next year it’s Unit, Pedro, and Smoltz. Once all those guys get in Mussina will be the best pitcher on the ballot and start to gain a lot of support. A lot of borderline guys like Schilling, McGriff, Walker, and Martinez are going to wrong way and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better for them.

Next Year: The crowded ballot is not a one year problem. Maddux, Glavine, and Thomas won’t be on the ballot but Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, and John Smoltz will take their place. Rafael Palmeiro and Jack Morris will be gone but Gary Sheffield and Carlos Delgado will be on for the first time. It would have only freed up one more spot but it would have been nice if Biggio got those two extra votes so all the votes he will get next year could go to someone else. At least next year will be the last year for Don Mattingly so people can stop wasting their votes on him (no disrespect, great player just not a hall of famer).

In conclusion, I’m thrilled for the three that got in but overall I’m disappointed in the overall results. It’s not looking promising for the future for a lot of these guys.

Many thought Bonds and Clemens would gain some support after being ‘punished’ for one year.

I was one who did, figuring they'd gain support each year until the sins of their playing days were so far in the past that voters would forget about the bad stuff and look only at their accomplishments. That both Bonds and Clemens actually lost a bit of support since last year really went against the way I figured things would be.

Not to start a war about the use of PEDs, but I'm glad they're being excluded (for now). We can argue 'til the sun goes down about what effect the juice had (or didn't have) and whether it truly altered the performance of guys who used them, but my argument is: If they were doing nothing wrong, why did they have to lie about it?

Eventually, it will be decided that all these steroid users are actually wonderful guys, and they'll get in. For now, if PED use costs them admission to the Hall.......well, there are more important things in the world to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back