• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MITB: The Worst Thing To Happen To WrestleMania?

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Not the worst, obviously. That would be the Playboy related matches. But after serving it's purpose for the first two, it's now just a ladder match with loads of random wrestlers.

The first one was a good match, and the second got the case to RVD. But now it's just a crappy gimmick match with random wrestlers, very few of wich need to be on the show, or who are even feuding.

The likes or Carlito, John Morrison & Shelton Benjamin didn't need to be on last year's card. And if they couldn't have come up with something for Jericho, Punk & Kennedy then maybe they should have just left them off the card.

Instead wouldn't it have been better to have the match that they'd been booking for about 6 months before? MVP vs. Hardy was ready made for Mania that year.

The year before the match was loaded. But wouldn't people have been satisfied with either a well promoted match between Orton & Edge. Or if Edge wasn't able then an Rated RKO vs. Hardy match?

If WWE can't be bothered to think up a match for somebody like Punk, who's in his third MITB match in a row, shouldn't they just leave him off the card. Or better yeat if they really want him on it, why don't they make him a feud. I'm sure they could think up a suitable feud between him and Kane, if needed.

I agree....Most of the wrestlers that have participated in MITB would have been better off in an one-on-one match. I would love to have seen Orton v. Edge at WM 23 or MVP v. Hardy last year. I don't see the reason for Punk being in it this time as he is the Intercontinental Champion and the belt hasn't been defended at WM in a while. Shelton Benjamin may be in the MITB match too and that's two of you mid-card champions in an match where they should be defending their respective titles.

I have to disagree, I am a fan of the match and the winner getting a title shot. What I don't like is them getting it whenever they like, whether the champion is ready, injured, asleep, watching tv etc. If the winner got a nominated time for the title match, say Summerslam, they get enough time to build up the winner as a credible challenger. ALso, I would like to see the MiTB winner lose their title shot, to keep it fresh. Basically, whoever wins the match we KNOW will be champion at some point unless they get injured.

With your point about wrestlers should have better storylines for them at Mania, I disagree. Punk can start his next feud during this match after a certain incident could take place. WrestleMania is for high profile singles matches, HBK vs Taker, Hardy vs Hardy, not Punk vs Kofi/Regal.

The MiTB gets the crowd alive at the start of the PPV, and it is always fun to watch. Work just needs to be done on the aftermath of the match.

I dont agree. The MITB match has been very entertaining since its creation. Also if you take the people out of the MITB where do you put them at wrestlemania? This way it gets 6-8 people in a match which also frees up other time for other matches to run longer - like the main events.

Plus why would you want to see a Punk - Kane Feud rather than a MITB match. Punk - Kanes been done before and it wasnt that great. If there was no MITB people like Bourne(Maybe) MVP Shelton wouldnt even be on the card.

Thank goodness other people see this. I hate, allow me to repeat FUCKING HATE the MITB match. There are SO many reasons why this sucks. Firstly, its far too large of a huge cluster fuck. They waste a large amount of credible mid carders, and in a few insatnces, mid card champions, on what is just a huge spot fest, and a shitty one at that.

*jump off something, lay around for a long time while someone else jumps off something*

THAT is what the majority of semi credible mid card in the WWE does?? Terrible. Also, at 6 people (FUCKING EIGHT THIS YEAR!!!) there are generally only a few guys who truly qualify to be potential world champs. Its also nearly impossible to book a halfway decent wrestling match with that many guys.

If they want it to be half worth a fuck, then they need to set it up, and make it more high profile. Start a huge tri branded tournament the night after NWO, in which the "final four" make it into the MITB. This provides you higher profile, the ability to book a half legible wrestling match with only 4 guys involved, and doesnt eat up such a majority of the mid card.

Norcal nails it as always. Make this match 4 people and it instantly goes through the roof in its levels of usefulness. The "qualifying" matches tend to be wastes of time also. I mean seriously, Henry and Santino? Did anyone believe that Santino had a fucking chance? Henry being in the match is a perfect example of a person that doesn't need to be in this match. Everyone with a brain knows he's got no chance whatsoever and he's just there to fill up a spot. Cut him and put him into something else on the show or better yet, just leave him off.

Also this takes away the IC and US champions. Both are likely to be in the match, so what's the point in them being champions? 8 people are in this match already. Take out the IC and US champions and you have two more title matches for Mania, which is a better use of the belts.

Finally, the one year thing is a joke. One time has the shot been used more than 6 months later. Shorten it from a year to 6 months. A year takes way too long to set up and it's never going to be done that way. WWE isn't stupid enough to book a world title match for a year later with all the chances of injury etc. They toyed around with it two years ago and Kennedy got hurt. Shorten it to six months or say they have to use it by Summerslam or something like that. Makes it sound better.

I think they only make it a year because Creative actually go "Right this guy has MITB, got a year to sort that, put him in a few programs. Oh crap, he's meant to be getting a push. Put him there and just make him lose the title a month later."

Seriously, all the MITB winners, with the exception of Edge's injury for his second cash in, have not had a title run last more than a month. Just shows that it's pretty useless as a house show title win!

I personally love MITB, but agree that the current format could use some tweaks to make it better.

First having 8 people is way too much, and you have obvious fillers. Cut it down to 5-4 wrestlers which helps cut the guys you know have a 0 chance of winning(like Kane/Henry this year).

Also have the qualifying process be done a month or 2 in advance. This allows the 4(or 5guys)to get a feud(or feuds)going with each other. The current process just seems so random and uninspiring. By creating feuds it makes the actual match more special and builds it up better.

By in the end I see nothing wrong with the MITB match. It gives the fans who like spot fests to have their thing, and the after math can be good. Punk's time as MITB may have been lousy and so was his title reign, but people went nuts for the actual cashing in. So just change the current system, cut the dead weight, and work on building the match up and it should be fine.

WM is the biggest show of the year and as such should provide a little something for every fan, some fans enjoy classic one on one title matches, some enjoy ladder matches that feature high spots, where others enjoy classic promos, the MITB gives those fans that enjoy high flying spot heavy matches something to look forward to, plus it's pretty much replaced the push wrestlers used to get from KOTR

I would much rather see Shelton -vs- MVP with the U.S Championship on the line and Punk -vs- Kane or someone else who is wasted in the MITB match than a bunch of guys scrambling for a suitecase. MITB would make a great Raw main event rather than suck in a WrestleMania, remember the days when WWF would have like 10 or 12 matches at WrestleMania? Thats what I miss and thats what I wish they would bring back.

Also if you take the people out of the MITB where do you put them at wrestlemania?

The likes of Carlito & Mark Henry? I wouldn't put them on the card. There's no need for them.

This way it gets 6-8 people in a match which also frees up other time for other matches to run longer - like the main events.

Not really. The MITB matches must last about 20-25 minutes. In that time they could easily fit four of the eight wrestlers involved into two worthy matches.

If there was no MITB people like Bourne(Maybe) MVP Shelton wouldnt even be on the card.

If it wasn't for the MITB match then MVP vs. Shelton would likely be on the card anyway. There's a ready made feud there. But the only interaction they'll get at this Mania is when Shelton falls on MVP.

Out of the people already announced for the MITB match, how many need to be on the show? Who would be missed? MVP & Punk, maybe.

Out of the 5 people announced who's the only one people can see winning? MVP.

WM is the biggest show of the year and as such should provide a little something for every fan, some fans enjoy classic one on one title matches, some enjoy ladder matches that feature high spots, where others enjoy classic promos, the MITB gives those fans that enjoy high flying spot heavy matches something to look forward to, plus it's pretty much replaced the push wrestlers used to get from KOTR

1123818009_c83b3e1540.jpg

I think the MITB is a really cool way to get some of the mid-carders on the show and to me it's almost like watching a Championship match considering the winner will eventually be the champ. I do wish that they wouldn't have so many people in it, instead I would rather see somewhere between 4 and 6 guys involved.

One thing I wish they would do would be to have the winner of the MITB shock everyone by cashing in at the very end of the show after the Main Event. I know this would eliminate some of the storylines they use through out the year with the MITB winner but either way, I still think it would be awesome to see Kane win it this year and as soon as the last match is over - BOOM! Kane's pyro hits and out he comes to take out whomever the champ is

I think that Money in the Bank would be much better if there were fewer Superstars. I think really 6 was enough, perhaps too many.
I like the tournament idea. Have 3, four way matches. One RAW fatal Four Way, one SD! an ECW one and a Triple Threat with one superstar from each brand at No Way Out, or Saturday Night's Main Event.
Every week one Superstar is eliminated from the equation. For example.

RAW after NWO:
Rey Mysterio vs. JBL vs. Kane vs. CM Punk
man pinned: Kane.

RAW week 2:
Rey Mysterio vs. JBL vs. CM Punk
man pinned: Rey.

RAW week 3:
JBL vs CM Punk.
winner: CM Punk. Punk goes to MITB.

Then the triple threat match features a star from each brand, and like a "last chance"
JBL vs. MVP vs. Evan Bourne.
Winner JBL.

End result a Money in the Bank, four men:
JBL vs. CM Punk vs. Christian vs. Jeff Hardy.

It's difficult to build 8 men up in two or three weeks to Wrestlemania as true contenders, usually two or three will be hyped up as favourites, expect MVP, CM Punk and Henry to be pushed this year. As far as I can see you can expect JBL to beat Punk for the IC title. Then perhaps JBL will defend against Rey Mysterio or similar at Wrestlemania, brinigng some prestige back to the title?

I agree it should be toned a bit, mainly less competitors with the big problem there being the filler guys. If Mark Henry ain't going to win, don't waste our time with it. Nobody wants him to win a major belt, not a heat factor just that nobody would want to watch him, and nobody expects him to win the belt.

I also think there should be no repeat, or a limited amount of oppurtunites to compete in this match. Why should you be given multiple chances to win a match that skips over the hurdles and almost ensures you the belt? It should be fresh every year.

Other than that, the match is very entertaining, and that's what sells. It gets ridiculous reading people pretending to know wrestling ability and talent, and wanting to watch a great clean singles match. What matches can you replace the MiTB match this year? Seriously? MVP vs TBK? Do you think the fact that it's 1-on-1 would make Wrestlemania that much better? Would it really be worth replacing a meaningful match with a wrestling purists dream? Watching both guys hitting their signature and finishers almost on a predictable que completely lacks a great substitute to an exciting match.

It gets to the point that you watch WWE to be entertained, don't complicate it.

I Pesonally Like The Mitb Bt I Do Think 6 Superstars Would Be Better This Years Mitb Features Mark Henry Vs Cm Punk Vs Kane Vs Mvp Vs Shelton Benjamin Vs Kofi Kingston Vs Christian Vs Finlay I Dont C Y Kane Cm Punk Kofi Kingston And Finlay Should Be In This Replace 2 Of Them With The Hardys And Have A 6 Man Mitb Match

Back when it's started i wouldn'T have said that because it was innovative and made for a great highlight real but now it just seem like a way to but every upper midcarder that don't have a match on the wrestlemania card. The match is becoming predictable and lost a little bit of the novelty factor it had in the beginning. Take this year for exemple, you got Christian, Finlay, Mark Henry, MVP. Shelton Benjamin, CM Punk, Kane and Kofi Kingston in this match. All these guy could have been put in better use then get thrown in this match. Intead of This match, you could have had Shelton Benjamin vs MVP for the u.s title, Christian vs Finlay vs MArk Henry vs Jack Swagger for the ECW title, Cm punk could have challenge JBL for the I.C title while Kofi and Kane could have a throaway tag match. The fact is, if the winner of the MIB match didn'T always won the championship it would be something but they always win and they always win via screwjob, even RVD who is the only one that had a actual match won via screwjob so basicly this is the match that determine who will win the championship via screwjob next and that why i think it one of the worst thing to happen to wrestlemania.

I personally like the MITB match. The only problem with it is that there are too many damn superstars in the match which makes the match more predictable. It should be made for good wrestlers(that means no Mark Henry's in this match) who can put on a decent match for the fans. I think personally that if they bring the number of wrestlers in the match between 4 & 6 & also keep guys like Mark Henry out of the match then the match will be fine.

Fuck it just bring back TLC, that way the botch-I mean spotfest is still included and you can chuck all of the tag teams in the match freeing up your midcarders for ya'know mid-card matches.
While I have no interest in seeing Shelton Benjamin in a singles match I do have an interest in seeing him fight MVP for the US Title. Maybe chuck in R-Truth and Chavo. A JBL vs Punk rematch for the IC Title wouldnt be bad either. Chuck in a monsters match between Kane and Umaga and tell Mark Henry and Finlay and that too fuck off, simple.

That way they dont have to worry about trying to make some mid-carder look credible for a World Title and the tag belts get defended in a spot-fest, who doesnt want to see Miz & Morrison, The Colons, Cryme Tyme and Kendrick & Ezekiel in a match where tables, ladders and chairs are involved. Sure would be better than a four corners tag match anyway.

I personally like the MITB match but eight wrestlers in the match is kind of overkill. They need to reduce the number to the original six guys. I mean MITB helped elevate Edge to main event status although sadly Edge was the only one to truly benefit from winning the match. Sure, Punk, Kennedy and RVD won the last three but it never really did anything for them in the long run. Well Kennedy got injured so I guess I can't include him in that statement. Punk just got a terribly booked World title reign, a terribly booked tag title reign and a terribly booked Intercontinental Championship reign so Punk never really truly benefited from it in a good meaningful way. Edge was the only one who truly benefited from it in the long run so whoever wins it this year, they need to have do the same thing they did with Edge. Have him hold the case for almost a year, time for the person to build up credibility and whatnot so when the time comes for him to cash it in, he's built up and whatnot. They didn't let Punk hold it long enough to get over or gain any sort of credibility so it essentially meant nothing. Winning the world title doesn't mean shit unless it's booked properly. Again, Edge was the only one to ever truly benefit from winning MITB.

Plus the other thing is it's just way too damn predictable. One of these times they need to have someone lose their cash in for the shock factor.

I have no qualms about MitB in general.WM should have the most exciting ,much anticipated matches of the year & nothings more exciting than watching 6 to 10 guys falling off ladders,(in a ring anyway).
Two niggly things ..Should it be in WM though? I mean,IF WWE had a season, (that thread,s been covered) surely WM would be the seasons end..The play offs,All titles defended,all existing feuds climaxed,all loose ends tied up.In that sense ,the MitB is a frayed knot on a wrapped up parcel.Thats all folk!-or is it.Surely it would be better in the appropriately named Backlash.AnY fallout of WM could be handled there.Youve won/lost the rematch & here,s the rub,someones guaranteed a title shot,maybe even-YourS!.
For the previous reason,Id also rather have all titles defended.My heart kinda sank when I heard USA champ Shelton & at the time IC champ CmP had qualified.If ever a PPV could & should accomodate AlL titles & then some,surely WM is it.Then again,it suggests to Shelton,either your title dont matter that much (ThAt threads been covered PLENTY) OR either way,you aint gonna have it for long!
Like my KotR post,it would help if the participants didnt or hadnt held a singles title giving some rising star a title shot & DeserveD push..Otherwise as it goes on,we,ll end up seeing the same old show,same bleedin faces,sameo sameo.sheesh.

The likes or Carlito, John Morrison & Shelton Benjamin didn't need to be on last year's card. And if they couldn't have come up with something for Jericho, Punk & Kennedy then maybe they should have just left them off the card.

Instead wouldn't it have been better to have the match that they'd been booking for about 6 months before? MVP vs. Hardy was ready made for Mania that year.

The year before the match was loaded. But wouldn't people have been satisfied with either a well promoted match between Orton & Edge. Or if Edge wasn't able then an Rated RKO vs. Hardy match?

I have to disagree. First of all, I just don't like the idea of Morrison or Benjamin not needing to be on the card. Those guys bust their rears so much and they deserve a 'Mania payday. Even if they don't have a legit chance to win the match I just love knowing that they're on the card.

I think the problem with Hardy/MVP was that Hardy was just getting ready to return to the ring from an injury. They didn't want to hot shot a match so a run in made more sense. That was just bad timing.

Well, I still say to this day that the Backlash match of Cena vs. HBK vs. Orton vs. Edge should have been the 'Mania main event.

Personally, I'd have to say that MitB is almost necessary with KotR taking such a backseat. It's nice having something that springboards a new person to the main event. I also enjoy the excitement of not knowing when MitB will be cashed in. Who wasn't on the edge of their seat when Punk came out on RAW following Batista's beatdown on Edge?

I understand apprehension because of the Kennedy fiasco but if anything the problem is that the WWE is picking the wrong guys for the match. Finlay over Kendrick? Henry over... anyone? As long as they pick the right people then MitB is a beautiful thing.

I have to disagree. First of all, I just don't like the idea of Morrison or Benjamin not needing to be on the card. Those guys bust their rears so much and they deserve a 'Mania payday. Even if they don't have a legit chance to win the match I just love knowing that they're on the card.

Two guys that can hardly get a showing at Armageddon suddenly deserve do be on the biggest show of the year? I don't think so. Sure they bust their arses, but isn't that the style of both of them? Should Funaki be added to the card in the process?

I think the problem with Hardy/MVP was that Hardy was just getting ready to return to the ring from an injury. They didn't want to hot shot a match so a run in made more sense. That was just bad timing.

Hardy got one of the biggest pops of the night, the next night he lost to Orton. A month later they had the Hardy/MVP match.

Quite a good build up for a ''B'' Show.

Finlay over Kendrick?

Well yeah, Kendrick hasn't won in months.

As long as they pick the right people then MitB is a beautiful thing.

I prefer newborn babies.

The Brian Kendrick scored the pinfall in the 6-man tag match about a month ago on Smackdown.

I agree with his thought though... The right guys in the match can make it work. My thing is that I don't really want to watch the same guys do the same things the same way every time out. They need to limit the appearances.

I think the match was fine with 6 wrestlers, but having 8 is way too many. It takes away from other matches. I mean, last year Jericho was the IC Champ and he didn't even defend the belt. But then you look to who he could have fueded with who wasn't in the MITB and the list is low with the other matches already scheduled.

The match is fine itself. It's a gimmick match, and I feel a good one at that. It should be used to elevate mid-carders into the main event level though, and not just have pointless people in there who are blatently not going to win. It could also be used by a main event person who just can't win that title shot, and goes into this match to try and win that title shot. That gives the match a little more substance. I feel just adding more to the match storyline wise would make it VERY more effective.

Something i just figured out is that it's always the same wrestlers that gets in the MIB match. Just look at this years line-up out of the 8 guys that are in this match, only Mark Henry and Kofi kingston as never been in a MIB match. C.M punk has been in the last 3 match, Shelton been in 4 MIB match out of 5, MVP been in 2, Finlay been in 2, christian wrestles in the 1 one and this year same thing goes for kane so i don't but maybe it would be more interesting of a match if you actually put a new combination of wrestlers instead of the same peoples over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back