Michaels or Jericho

j.beaner

Occasional Pre-Show
Career vs Career, Overall, which has impressed you more. The Show Stoppers or The Living Legend, Shawn Michaels vs Jericho. Both have put forth their best foot at numerous wrestlemanias, both have had three major runs in the WWE. Both no doubt will be in the hall of fame someday. Now with hbk gone and we really can now look at his career in full, and Jericho is at one of his highest peeks in wrestling at this time of his career. so i wanna know who do you prefer, which one impresses you more Shawn Michaels or Chris Jericho
lunapic1272081441988351.gif

or
lunapic1272088037732491.gif

Other then cutting a promo and singing, Shawn Michaels is better than Chris Jericho in every area, even drawing power, and that's saying something since Michaels was a pretty crappy draw. Not that Jericho is terrible in any area, Michaels is just better everywhere except on the mic.

Other then cutting a promo and singing, Shawn Michaels is better than Chris Jericho in every area, even drawing power, and that's saying something since Michaels was a pretty crappy draw. Not that Jericho is terrible in any area, Michaels is just better everywhere except on the mic.

Michaels wasn't a crappy draw. He damn sure put more buts in the seats than most of the guys on the roster today.

Jericho is kind of like the Shawn Michaels who has never been given the proper chance to spread his wings and fly all the way. Jericho has done alot and been very impressive, and the HBK/Y2J match from WM19 remains one of my all-time favourites. Both have amazing ring ability, prowess, technique and they can capture audiences, (live and on TV) with their promo skills.

It's hard to compare, because they're both unique for their abilities to be true all-rounders. While Michaels may be more revered than Chris Jericho, hypothetically, in a world without wrestling politics, I'd say that Jericho and Michaels would both take the throne as perhaps the two greatest wrestlers of the 90's.

Realistically, thats not too far off how I see it. My opinion is, as versatile wrestlers, capable of putting on a showcase and giving the fans something different almost every time, Shawn Michaels was the greatest wrestler of the late 80s-to-mid 90's and Jericho, in the late 90's-to-mid 00's in that respect.

I always find this, Michaels was a crap draw to be a pretty piss poor argument, sure he was no Hogan but he was putting butts in seats since 96', 97', 03', 04' etc...As for who's got the better career? I would have to say HBK AT THE MOMENT. He's retired and has been doing this for a wee while longer but jericho will get there eventually. Jericho already has a legacy, with being a six time world champion (first undisputed champion don't you know), an excellent performer and one of the best to ever grab a mic. Shawn had it all though (less so in the mic section but he could still cut a damn fine promo), he's one of the best the squared circle ever had. He was a showman and a show stoper. Match of the Candidates all the time etc...He could drag anyones best match out. He was great. jericho will get there though...eventually.

Jericho is easily one of my favourite wrestlers, and his career highlights and 5* matches show why. However, Shawn is my favourite. His career highlights are better, his 5* matches more common. Shawn Michaels to me, is, and always will be, the best professional wrestler the WWE has ever seen. No one has ever captivated me in the same way as just a simple promo will do from Shawn - even just hearing his theme song makes me unbelievably excited. His matches, especially at Wrestlemania, are second to none. He's a fantastic superstar, and proof that the amount of title reigns does not accurately measure the strength of a wrestler and their career.

Jericho is a Hall of Famer, there's no doubt about it, and rightfully so. Both these men have had fantastic moments in the WWE. But Shawn will always come out on top, because he's better at just about everything.

Jericho is kind of like the Shawn Michaels who has never been given the proper chance to spread his wings and fly all the way. Jericho has done alot and been very impressive, and the HBK/Y2J match from WM19 remains one of my all-time favourites. Both have amazing ring ability, prowess, technique and they can capture audiences, (live and on TV) with their promo skills.

It's hard to compare, because they're both unique for their abilities to be true all-rounders. While Michaels may be more revered than Chris Jericho, hypothetically, in a world without wrestling politics, I'd say that Jericho and Michaels would both take the throne as perhaps the two greatest wrestlers of the 90's.

Realistically, thats not too far off how I see it. My opinion is, as versatile wrestlers, capable of putting on a showcase and giving the fans something different almost every time, Shawn Michaels was the greatest wrestler of the late 80s-to-mid 90's and Jericho, in the late 90's-to-mid 00's in that respect.

I disagree HBK had his time to shine in 1996 and rating dropped, that was around the same time NWO debuted and WCW started to walk through WWE, you can't blame HBK but you can blame the way WWE show cased him, they allowed him to beat some big names (Bulldog, Diesel, Owen, Bret then his ego started to run while, and when it boiled down to it he wouldn't put over Vader who was WWE's monster they'd built him up for 8 months, taking people out left and right, to this point where he'd win the World title and dominate the landscape for a while, and HBK refused to put him over, now I'm not blaming HBK for the decline in rating but realistically speak HBK didn't help when he was 215lbs or there or abouts and he'd making WWE's 1# heel look absolutely pathetic on PPV.
That said Shawn was given the chance and when he took it, he found away to mess it up, I know his personal life was all over the place at this point so maybe it was that what effected him who knows?

Chris Jericho on the other hand has NEVER been given the chance to shine, and whenever he does shine, WWE seem to mess it up with HHH pinning him in random matches why? I can't recall a time Jericho ever pinned HHH or Cena for that matter (Until last year when Jerishow took on Cena and someone else and Jericho scored the pinfall, but once Chris gets momentum going behind him he's always derailed by HHH, the easiest way I can put this, Jericho is the Bulldog of WWE, and HHH is like the HBK,

Bulldog lost all his singles titles and tag title to HBK (part from the Hardcore title)
Jericho has lost all his titles to HHH, World, IC, Tag (apart from hardcore/euro titles as HHH was above them when Jericho won them)

My point is which I agree with you on, there is far to many politics in WWE for the good of the business.

The answer here will probably be HBK, but in all honesty, the case for Chris Jericho is very compelling. I've always seen Jericho as one of the most versatile wrestlers in the business, capable of taking on any situation and any opponent. HBK was sometimes limited by his opponent's weakness, which would hinder a match. HBK was never strong on carrying the offensive portion of a match, so he usually needed to rely on someone who was. Jericho, on the other hand, has always been equally adept at either the offense or the selling part of the match.

As far as mic skills go, Jericho takes it easily. Somewhere along the line, people got the idea that HBK was a good mic man...he's not, nor has he ever been. Just because he acted like a child in DX, doesn't make him a good mic guy. However, HBK is easily the more charismatic in-ring worker. HBK always had the ability to connect with the fans, moreso than Jericho has ever shown.

Like I said, in the end, the answer will probably be Shawn Michaels, but Chris Jericho is not too far behind.

I always find this, Michaels was a crap draw to be a pretty piss poor argument, sure he was no Hogan but he was putting butts in seats since 96', 97', 03', 04'
:lmao:

No he wasn't. In three of those four years, the WWE saw a decline in ratings. 1997 is the only year there was a rise in the ratings, and EVERYONE knows that was due to the rise of Steve Austin, and his feud with the Harts.

Yes the company saw a decline in intrest but wasn't because of Michaels. You ask the people who went to see a WWF show in 96, they would have said I paid to see Shawn Michaels. There were only a few wrestlers throughout 96' who drew like Michaels did and Michaels was the biggest in WWF.

This is a tough one, but Michaels just edges it for me. I agree with others that Jericho DOES win when it comes to mic skills and he has shown more dexterity over his career (in the sense of being able to carry & work all kinds of matches). However, what gives Michaels the edge is the fact that he is all about the "big matches", hence the nickname 'Mr. Wrestlemania'. Throughout his career, he has pulled off some amazing top card matches, even right up until his very last match with the Undertaker. His in ring charisma wasn't really about mic skills -- he just had something special. Jericho doesn't quite have that, IMO. At this stage, he probably never will quite attain the heights that Michaels attained, but Jericho is a definite future hall of famer.

Jericho and Michaels are both great in their own right. You cannot compare the two in this fashion. One is not "greater" than the other. When Y2J left, we all marked for his return (admit it you did)... and during Shawn's hiatuses, we all awaited his return. Y2J can cut a better promo, but Shawn spent a portion of his career playing off HHH's promos. In ring ability is fairly similar, but Shawn has a slight edge, as you know he will put his body on the line for a spot... even right at the end (WM26 moonsault on the table). You can go on for ever, but it is like comparing chocolate and vanilla ice cream... we all like both but some of us love one more than the other... but noone has ever said, "Man, I just don't like vanilla ice cream.". So, both men will go in the hall, and both men will be remembered as great. I will miss HBK, and when Y2J hangs them up, I will miss him also. And there you have it.

I have to say that Shawn Michaels career strikes me as the most appealing and most amazing, having put on great matches on a regular basic (especially in the 90's cause you could argue that his abilities slowed down slightly over the last few years of his career)

Shawn has done so much, so absolutely much to this business, innovated matches, revolutionized the business with tag team wrestling (yes I find him somewhat of a revolutionizer of the high flying and tag team combination moves) and was one of the ground pushes for putting the business into the world of the Attitude Era, cause his stint with DX in the 90's proved the fact that foul language over the top attitude entertainment proved an immense success.

Shawn Michaels is definitely the superior one of these.. BUT.. but.. I refuse to discredit Chris Jericho, cause while Shawn was amazing, Chris Jericho is by far one of the greatest alongside Shawn, not as good, but he certainly would give Shawn a run for his money in a "great vs great", a personal reason why I would absolutely mark out for these two facing in the Wrestlezone tournament, and I have to admit I wouldn't be disappointed if Chris Jericho defeated Shawn Michaels in that tournament.

Chris has done everything there really is to do, proved a successful tag team wrestler, an amazing mixture of ground mat wrestling, catch wrestling and high flying abilities all in one, and one of the most decorated wrestlers in WWE right now, if not the most decorated.
Chris is so incredible versatile, where as you could argue "yes Shawn is versatile too" but sure his later years in the 2000's fitted most to the description of solidifying the main eventers dominance, Kurt Angle, John Cena comes to mind in this, the way he put those two over at Wrestlemania, where as Chris Jericho basically makes a living on putting over people while winning titles.

It's a tough one, I could easily see both of these people being named the greatest of all time, but in the end, I find Shawn just a little superior, mostly because of his amazing in-ring abilities, where as Jericho is superior on the microphone.

You have to look at everything, if your to compare these two, I would have to say both have been in some great feuds, both great on the mic, jericho argubly the best heel on the planet, Shawn michaels adored by sooo many people worldwide. I would have to say Jericho has had the most titles. But HBK has won awards for his fights and puts on a great show, lets not forget Jericho puts on great fights and every wrestler loves wrestling against him, ask austin, he even said the only person I would fight if I were to return would be Jericho, what does that show.

Both very evenly matched, very difficult to answer.

Let me break it down...

Chris Jericho
Extreme Championship Wrestling
ECW World Television Championship (1 time)

World Championship Wrestling
WCW Cruiserweight Championship (4 times)
WCW World Television Championship (1 time)

World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
WWF Undisputed Championship (1 time)
World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
WCW Championship (2 times)
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (9 times)
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Chris Benoit (1), The Rock (1), Christian (1), and Edge / The Big Show (1)
WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Edge / The Big Show (1)
WWF European Championship (1 time)
WWF Hardcore Championship (1 time)
Slammy Award for Superstar of the Year (2008)
Slammy Award for Tag Team of the Year (2009) – with The Big Show
Ninth Triple Crown Champion
Fourth Grand Slam Champion

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Comeback of the Year (2008)
PWI Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Shawn Michaels
PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (2002, 2008)
PWI ranked him #2 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2009

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Best on Interviews (2003, 2008, 2009)
Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Shawn Michaels
Match of the Year (2008) vs. Shawn Michaels in a Ladder match at No Mercy on October 5
Most Underrated Wrestler (1999, 2000)
Readers' Favorite Wrestler (1999)
Wrestler of the Year (2008, 2009)

Shawn Michaels
World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
WWF Championship (3 times)
WWF European Championship (1 time)
WWF Intercontinental Championship (3 times)
WWF/E World Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Diesel (2), Steve Austin (1), John Cena (1), and Triple H (1)
WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Triple H (1)
World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
Royal Rumble (1995, 1996)
Fourth Triple Crown Champion
First Grand Slam Champion
Slammy Award for Best Slammin' Jammin' Entrance (1996)
Slammy Award for Best Threads (1996)
Slammy Award for Squared Circle Shocker (1996) Won for collapsing; Owen Hart accepts the award for making Michaels collapse
Slammy Award for Master of Mat Mechanics (1996)
Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1996) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at SummerSlam
Slammy Award for Leader of the New Generation (1996)
Slammy Award for Best Finisher (1997)
Slammy Award for US West Match of the Year (1997) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2008) vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
Slammy Award for Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho
PWI Match of the Year (1993) vs. Marty Jannetty on Monday Night Raw on May 17
PWI Match of the Year (1994) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at WrestleMania X
PWI Match of the Year (1995) vs. Diesel at WrestleMania XI
PWI Match of the Year (1996) vs. Bret Hart in an Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII
PWI Match of the Year (2004) vs. Chris Benoit and Triple H at WrestleMania XX
PWI Match of the Year (2005) vs. Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 21
PWI Match of the Year (2006) vs. Vince McMahon in a No Holds Barred match at WrestleMania 22
PWI Match of the Year (2007) vs. John Cena on Raw on April 23
PWI Match of the Year (2008) vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania XXIV
PWI Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1995, 1996)
PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1996
PWI ranked him #10 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
PWI ranked him #33 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Marty Jannetty in 2003

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2003)
Best Babyface (1996)
Feud of the Year (2004) vs. Triple H and Chris Benoit
Feud of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho
Match of the Year (1994) vs. Razor Ramon in a Ladder match at WrestleMania X
Match of the Year (2008) vs. Chris Jericho in a Ladder match at No Mercy
Match of the Year (2009) vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV
Most Charismatic (1995, 1996)
Tag Team of the Year (1989) with Marty Jannetty as The Rockers
Worst Feud of the Year (2006) with Triple H vs. Shane and Vince McMahon

Okay, so we know clearly Shawn Michaels is better!! well thats my opinion, but see for yourself, Jericho has at least 5 good years left before he reaches Michaels age and possibly retires.. can he really reach what Shawn has?

While the accolades are in HBK's favor, he owes his success to those around him, and he's been very, very fortunate.

I think the only reason why HBK gets the nod over Jericho is that he was in the WWE longer and faced more 'marque' names for a longer period of time during key era's in WWE history. In terms of in ring performance, I actually enjoy Jericho more but HBK's overselling during big matches gives him a small advantage in the dramatics department. Jericho is better on the mic.

Bottom line, Jericho is more of the complete package but not being homegrown WWE talent prevents him from getting all the recognition he deserves. He carried the WCW midcard on his back for a while with some great angles like the man of 1004 moves and his time with Ralphus.

Then he went from one of the most over faces in the business to the most hated heels that we've ever seen. It says a lot for someone who was loved so much to be hated by so many now. Y2J > HBK

To me, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Both have different reasons for why they are so great but if I had to chose only one, it would definitely go to Shawn Michaels. Not to take anything away from Jericho, but Michaels IS the whole package. He can do anything and everything and that's why he will always be considered the greatest of all time in my opinion.

It's hard to say who's had the better career considering Jericho's still going. Jericho has held way more championships than HBK has. Michaels has had way more match of the year honors. Michaels has been in WWE longer but he spent over 4 years in the under card as a tag team wrestler before winning the IC title. Jericho won the IC title within 4 moths after his WWE debut, but he did his under card days in WCW. Jericho has had success around the world. I don't think Michaels has wrestled full time anywhere but the US. Personally I'm a bigger Jericho fan, but I honestly can't say he's better than HBK. Only time will tell.

Don't think you can compare them as far as who's "better." Both are two of the best wrestlers in recent history, and both have exceptional charisma. Michaels' style was more American/catch wrestling, and Jericho's is more Japan/Mexico influenced. Also, Michaels has a few inches of height on Jericho, 6'1" to 5'9" or so, which affected his style a bit too. As far as fame, Y2J was at the very top for a while back in the early 00s after coming from WCW, as undisputed heavyweight champ, beating The Rock and Stone Cold on the same night, but Michaels was the face of the company in WWF for some time in the 90s before the rise of Stone Cold and his career-ending (temporarily) back injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back