Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, and Matt Striker NEED to be a Permanent Three Man Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
The last two nights have been a mixed bag in terms of a product the WWE has put out. TLC was a tremendous PPV, with some really good matches from top to bottom, and is a contender for being one of the best overall PPVs of the year. Raw last night may have been one of the worst of the year. Between the good and bad in output, the one thing that has really stood out and made last night's Raw tolerable was the commentary team of Matt Striker, Jerry Lawler, and Michael Cole.

Ever since transitioning to being a color commentator, Matt Striker, for the most part, has been very good. Sure, he goes overboard with the nicknames, but he brings insightful commentary to the table, using facts and references most of the WWE color guys wouldn't bring up. He also veers towards being a heel color commentator, which is something we haven't had in awhile. But what I like most is that for the last couple of nights, he's forced Lawler and Cole to step up their game instead of being the usual team that they are, which is boring. As a tandem, Cole and Lawler don't have much chemistry either. Bring in Striker, and suddenly, they aren't that bad.

Commentators who have a dislike for each other work, and the product somehow is a lot more entertaining to watch, because you want to hear what they're saying. It draws the viewer into the match more. Some of the best commentary teams have been comprised with guys who show a dislike towards each other. JR and Heyman, Gorilla and Heenan, Vince and Jesse Ventura, JBL and Cole, and Heenan and Schiavone are examples of this. Back when JBL and Michael Cole were commentating on Smackdown, Michael Cole was greatly improved. He had to be on his toes more, or else JBL would be there to give him shit over it.

Over the past couple of nights, Striker has been there giving Cole and King shit, and he's forced Cole to raise his game above basic competence. Lawler gained an edge that we haven't seen in a long time out of him, partly because he was getting annoyed with Striker. Striker, Cole, and King all gave each other shit, and it was in a way that was actually funny.

Here are some quotes from last night. Cole and King never had this type of interaction since becoming a team, and I think Striker's presence had a huge part to play with that.

Cole - VINTAGE UNDERTAKER!
Lawler - I knew you’d get that in there.
Striker - Do you do “vintage” twice in one match?
Cole - I try not to.

Miller - We’re two hours into our 17 hour extravaganza. Earlier today, Vince gave me some notes on comedy.
King - I think he looks like he’s lost the will to live.
Cole - We’ve all been there, haven’t we.

Striker - Kelly’s wearing Versace and Mickie James, of course, wears TJ Maxx.
King - That was mean.
Striker - Okay. Mickie wears Lane Bryant
King - How do you know so much about women’s fashion?
Striker - I have four sisters!

These guys being a three man team on a regular basis on Raw would make the commentary entertaining to listen to, and make the show a lot more fun to watch. Keep Striker on Smackdown too. Vince should pay him extra if he has to. The guy is 100% worth what he brings to the table. Whoever thought that Striker would be such a valuable asset to the WWE back when he was nothing more than a teacher gimmick?

Actually I agree. I was listening to them while watching and I seemed to notice that they were making wicked random comments towards everyone. I don't know if I'm the only who heard this, but when Mark Henry came out someone yelled out "who wants some Kool-Aid!". Like what the hell. I really thought these three together did make the show somewhat better because it was a lot funner to listen to the announcers joking around instead of being wicked serious and dull. I would like to see them return together again.

Also, has anyone ever seen Michael Cole that pumped up like how he was when he won a "Slammy" haha.

You are crazy. To me, that three man team was horrible. I am all for a three man team as it can work very well with the rugh combination. Take Cole out and put JR in there and I think it would be a very different story. Cole is a joke. I have never understood what the WWE saw in him as an announcer. Striker tries to make himself look smarter than everyone else at all times. I think they are really kicking themselves that they let Tazz get away. He was the best thing going for them as far as commentary goes. I just had to put my cents in that last night was incredibly tough to listen to.

I liked the 3 man team from last night. I know a lot of people are bashing them, especially Cole, but I found Cole funny and entertaining last night, as it seems he does not take himself seriously. Making fun of his own "Vintage" comments shows he is aware of what people are saying about him and he can make light of it.

Also I think Cole could even be a much better announcer if he didn't have Mcmahon yelling things in his error all the time

The three man team needs to be a permanent fixture. They're funny and the banter back and forth was the ONLY positive thing from Raw last night. Striker brings that missing quality to the commentary, giving the 'other side' a push, so to speak. Which means that if Lawler and Cole agree on Cena being awesome, Striker should say he's not above anyone else on the WWE roster and should be treated as such.

That balance makes for good commentary. It's what made Heenan and Monsoon so great, as well as Vince and Jesse Ventura. I love this commentary team, and hope it is indeed a permanent move.

i personally enjoyed the three man team. Matt Striker has really come into his own as the broadcast table. I don't think the WWE would have Striker do both shows, no matter how much we may or may not want it. But here's a possibility: when J.R. is ready to return, they could stick him back with Todd Grisham on Smackdown and make the 3 man team on Raw.

I enjoyed the three man team too, and with JR's return being a touchy subject, it would be best to test the waters like they did, that way if JR does return they know that Striker will blend well with the other two commentators. Or, even better, they can have those three commentate on Superstars for the next few weeks to continue testing the waters.

I disagee. While I did find them entertaining, the fact that we were listening more to them then we were watching the ring action is not good. Their job is to add to the excitement from the in-ring action, not detract from it. We are going to buy PPVs based on the ring action, not spending 40 bucks so we can listen to them banter some more.

I disagee. While I did find them entertaining, the fact that we were listening more to them then we were watching the ring action is not good. Their job is to add to the excitement from the in-ring action, not detract from it. We are going to buy PPVs based on the ring action, not spending 40 bucks so we can listen to them banter some more.

It's a testament to how good they are. Last night's Raw was weird and a travesty that had NO in-ring action. Between Cena squashing Punk in 40 seconds, a 3 second tag title match, and Orton beating the Undertaker by count out, as well as terrible bits all the way throughout, they at the very least made the show entertaining. If it was just Cole and Lawler on commentary, last night's Raw would have been so much worse.

The in-ring action is on the people backstage and the performers to make interesting. Striker's Mickie James line that was "mean" was even meaner once he said she shopped at Lane Bryant. The Divas shouldn't have been out there wearing nice dresses wrestling to begin with.

I generally like the Wrestler on Color and the non – Wrestler on Play – By – Play combination. I think three man teams maybe a little much. Listening to three voices can get annoying at times, more so than two. This of course changes if you have the right combination. My picks for a three man announce team would be Joey Styles on Play – by – Play, Matt Striker on Color, and Jim Ross on Play – by – Color / Color – by – Play.

COMPLETELY agree with you here Guy. The commentary at TLC and even at last night's terrible Raw was so much more enjoyable with Matt Striker added to the mix to lighten up the absolutely monotonous combination of King and Michael Cole.

I've been wanting a three man team for awhile, I miss those days. I suggested it earlier in the year for TNA (w/ Tenay, West, and Taz) and I'd like to see it here in the WWE. Cole and King can just absolutely kill a match for me honestly.

usn128, you must be smokin something. Tazz by leaps and bounds was NOT the best thing WWE had in commentary. I'll give him the benifit of the doubt as we've all heard stories of Vince (or whomever) yelling in the headset telling him what to say etc. I can imagine that would affect his performance.
I think striker is lightyears ahead of Tazz in this regard.

As for a permanent 3 man booth....I'm not so sure. If Cole is really that bad why keep him? For the moment I'm not expecting JR back any time soon, if at all. I like the Smackdown team the way it sits. And besides, if you move Striker to RAW who fills his place? Any one mentions that new guy on ECW should be banned for life.

I'd have to agree with most of the sentiments around here that like the 3-man team.

I thought, like most others, that they made last nights terrible raw at least slightly entertaining. The past few months I've watched Smackdown just to get some more commentary from Striker as well for of course the wrestling.

I'm getting sick and tired of the dull Michael Cole. Pending a return by JR, Cole should be moved back to Smackdown. I've always been a huge fan of JR and the King on the mic together, and adding in Striker would just put it over the top.

Striker's added a MUCH, MUCH needed brand of commentary back to the table the last few nights. I used to be a huge fan of the King back in the attitude era when he was a heel announcer. Him and JR would go back and forth arguing all night and especially during HHH - Stone Cold/Rock battles. It's a dimension I've severely missed in wrestling since beginning to watch it again about a year ago, and Striker is bringing that back.

Hopefully this turns into a permanent fixture.

king is old a boring. michael cole thinks hes funny and good or something but he sucks. striker was barebly because he did what a color guy whould do and cheer the heel. jr is the man and will always eb the man for play by play. i know he wasnt as good then past few years as he was but it really went down hill when they pulled him of raw. total bullshit. the commentators shouldnt care about the wrestlers actions. they shouldnt cheer the faces and boo the heels. they arent fans. anouncers r unbiast. total fucking bullshit

Well whatever happens I hope that when or if JR returns they don't put him with Todd Grisham. They had NO chemistry and I never knew who was doing play-by-play and who was doing color, they were all over the place. JR definatly works better on play-by-play so when he returns I hope they can find a former wrestler that would team up with him and let Cole/Lawler/Striker do the 3-way.

I am going to agree with the OP on this one. Cole was the dumbass tool, King was the good guy, and Striker makes a GREAT heel commentator. Their banter back and forth was more entertaining than half of the actual show. These three did a great job at TLC, and did an even better job last night. I hope something comes from this.

I think it's highly plausible that the 3 Man Booth may be here to stay. They are obviously testing the waters out.

Unfortunately, I had Raw on in the background last night and the volume wasn't very loud, so I missed a lot of the banter. But Striker got some pretty good reviews it seems.

But the regular commentators for Raw are Cole and Lawler. Striker wasn't needed, obviously, but they kept him anyway. And from what I did here, and the reviews it got, they were a good mix together.

The Face Play by Play and Face Analyst concept was one of the most miserable failures ever tried in the history of Commentary, and it has Vince's name all over it. Maybe Vince got his memory jogged by sitting in the booth with Jesse what the formula for a good Commentary team used to consist of.

So let's hope it is here to stay, but it sure looks like it is a good probability of happening since they did it last night, and didn't really have to since the regular commentators were there.

I agree. Lawler, Striker, and Cole did a great job last night. Lawler and Cole have good chemistry together, and thrown Matt Striker in the mix, and you've got a superstar team. I like Striker on Smackdown, but it's Todd Grisham I can't stand. He comes off as very bland, and doesn't really offer up any good commentary. He was best doing interviews backstage.

Michael Cole isn't as bad as some people make him out to be, and with Lawler and Striker at his side, he would be elevated to new levels. The banter between these three was funny as hell. It almost seemed legit a few times because they were so good at it.

While I agree the 3 man format is more entertaining than two, unless of course its monsoon and heenan or mcmahon and ventura, the cole/king/striker combo is horrible. Last nite's shitty RAW was topped off by those three goons making complete asses of themselves. I almost killed myself when they were all giggling like schoolgirls while dennis miller did.....well, whatever that was he did. Please dismantel this announce team now, before I kill myself and my death in on your hands. I thought Tazz was shit, he's like a gift from god after what I heard last nite.

While I agree the 3 man format is more entertaining than two, unless of course its monsoon and heenan or mcmahon and ventura, the cole/king/striker combo is horrible. Last nite's shitty RAW was topped off by those three goons making complete asses of themselves. I almost killed myself when they were all giggling like schoolgirls while dennis miller did.....well, whatever that was he did. Please dismantel this announce team now, before I kill myself and my death in on your hands. I thought Tazz was shit, he's like a gift from god after what I heard last nite.

You know that isn't their doing, right? If they don't react to Miller or laugh, Vince is going to chew their asses out backstage about not doing enough to get Miller over on the mic.

I agree that Miller was horrible, but you are blaming the wrong people. Blame Vince for:

1) Thinking it's funny
2) Forcing his commentators to laugh at it

Cole and Lawler are always laughing at stuff that isn't remotely funny, because of Vince barking at them to do so.

All things said, the 3 man broadcast team worked well, since we finally saw something that remotely resembled a Heel-lite commentator out of Striker last night. And that blends much better than all faces.

No! I liked the trio, it was pretty entertaining listening to them argue, and make fun of each other, and at sometimes breaking kayfabe to do it! Personally, i prefer Striker's commentary to JR's, Stryker tends to give a lot of details, that I find intriguing and I learn a lot more from him, him and Grisham on SD have great chemistry. But I think the thread starter is correct, he brought out a different, more edgier side to King and Cole

I actually liked the three man team a lot.

Lawler finding Striker annoying actually brought out more of Lawler than we generally get to see. And even Cole was looking better somehow by Striker being there.

Striker does well no matter where he's at. This has now been proven. When JR comes back maybe him and Striker will be a team? Who knows? What I do know is, Striker annoys people and it makes me laugh.

And I thought Dennis Miller was pretty funny, but I also like his type of humor.

Unfortunately the actual quality of last night's show absolutely killed the momentum they had going after TLC. To a dead cold stop. But not all of it was bad tho.

Just stick with the 2 man team. Stryker and Cole would be good as commentators on RAW. Stryker would be the heel color commentator, and Cole the face play-by-play. Cause King is just boring these days, since WWE is PG he cannot go heel and be great like he used to be. Also Cole is annoying as hell, but atleast you like to hate him for saying idiotic shit like vintage and boom shakalaka. Be fun times to see Stryker flame Cole on RAW. Fun times, but sadly Stryker back on ECW soon.

I'm not against a 3-man team, but I dont think Striker should be the 3rd guy. I personally feel Striker is way over-rated. While I appreciate him trying to include some trivia and background info into the matches, it seems like most of the trivia facts he throws out during a match are wrong. And they have him as a heel announcer, but when he tries to explain why he likes the heel, his reasoning is always pathetic at best, and I just dont really believe him.

I liked it last night. Striker and Cole are the future Commentating team of Raw when The King retires from the booth and JR has stated that he don't know if he'll return on a reg basis as his medical problems is preventing that. They were testing the waters back @ RAW in MSG a few weeks back and again last night to see if Striker and Cole had any type of chemistry and I say CA-CHING!!!! to that.

So yes if or when J.R. comes back, Striker should ge his "GPA boosted from a B to an A" (Pun Intended). He's gold in the booth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back