Meltdown 136: Matt Tastic vs Blackjack Theron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Blackjack Theron has made the challenge to Hall of Famer Titus Avison for a EurAsian championship match at Kingdom Come (assuming he wins his title match). Before that he must take on WZCW's most decorated star and latest Hall of Famer Matt Tastic. Tastic will no doubt still be reeling after Flex Mussel fed him to the Hollow Ones.

Deadline is Monday, December 5th, 11:59PM CST. Extensions available upon request.

The Legend Of Theron
A Link Between Problems

15wktc7.jpg

Scene opens up to a clock on a wall of an office. The hour hand is on 6 and the minute hand is on 6 as well signifying that it is 18:30, or 6:30 PM for those who do not use the 24 hour clock. The seconds hand ticks four times before the angle zooms out, revealing more of the office. A middle aged brown haired woman named Sarah Matthews is seen sitting in a chair behind a desk next to a computer, writing on a notepad. Two bookshelves full of books are next to her desk. Sarah's Bachelors and Masters diplomas in Psychology can be seen on the wall. The therapist stops writing and looks up toward her client, who is currently unseen.

Sarah: So tell me again. What exactly caused this concern you have regarding yourself and your significant other?

The angle zooms out further to reveal Tiffany Wyatt as the therapist's client. She is in casual attire and sitting in a brown leather chair. To her left is a large plant and a window with a view of some trees in the parking lot next to the office. She waits a moment before answering her therapist's question, looking out the window to collect her thoughts.

Tiffany: .........

Sarah: Please, Miss Wyatt, I need an answer in order to help you.

Still looking outside, she hesitates a little, then responds.

Tiffany: I am not sure what it is, but something is different about him, and that is what made me concerned. I first noticed this change at the last major event for the company we work for, when I tried to help him.

Sarah: Oh, so the two of you work for the same company. I see. Are you in the same department as him? How long have you been in the same workplace?

Tiffany turns to face her therapist.

Tiffany: We are in different departments though we cross paths a lot because I help him. He has been there for 3 years and I have been there 7 months.

The therapist makes some written notes.

Sarah: And what do the two of you do there?

Tiffany: He's a professional wrestler at WZCW. I work for the federation's Talent Relations department making appearances as Shawn's onscreen manager but most of what I do is attend business meetings and perform various other tasks backstage.

Sarah: I see. Well, tell me more about this sudden change in him you mentioned. What happened when you tried to help him at the company event?

Tiffany scratches her cheek below her left ear. A look of concern and sadness on her face.

Tiffany: It was an event called the Lethal Lottery. It is one of our federation's biggest shows of the year. My boyfriend was in two matches that night. The first was a title match against three other wrestlers, which he nearly won. I had promised him I would do anything I could to help him win and I failed to help him win that match. So to make it up to him, I spoke with management before the second match he would be competing in that night. The night's namesake match, where 30 wrestlers compete and the survivor at the end gets to challenge the World Champion at our biggest show of the year. They allowed me entry into the match despite my low amount of experience, I have only wrestled one other match before.

Sarah: And what happened after that?

Tiffany: My boyfriend did not know about my entry into the match. Nor did our opponents. I called in a favor with management at the last second. When I made my appearance, it was a shock to everyone who was in the ring.

Sarah: This was when the change in him began?

Tiffany: No. Until the Lethal Lottery event, Shawn seemed similar to his former self. However, the change in him had been there deep down inside him ever since WZCW's Unscripted event this summer. I never fully noticed a major difference at first. It was what happened after my entry into the Lottery match which caused me to first notice the change.

The therapist makes some more written notes on her notepad.

Tiffany: I was eliminated from the match by one of my boyfriend's rivals. Titus Avison, one of the champions of the federation. As I lay there outside the ring, all I can remember was how much my head hurt from being thrown out.... And the look of anger in Shawn's eyes. He went berserk on Titus.

Sarah: How long have you and Shawn been seeing each other?

Tiffany: Since our freshman year of college. So, a little over 7 years.

Sarah: Has there ever been an issue like this before?

Tiffany: Not like this, no.

Sarah: But there's been.... Other issues?

Tiffany: I would not say that there has been any major issues with our dating relationship. Only very small ones such as minor disagreements. There were no true issues up until shortly after I began working for the company Shawn wrestles for....

The therapist continues making notes on her pad.

Tiffany: It is all my fault.... Whatever this change in him was, I know I am to blame.

Sarah: Miss Wyatt, all you did was try to help him. Had you considered asking what he thought of you competing with him before you signed the paperwork to do so?

Tiffany: I am not talking about my competing in a match with him. This summer Shawn's roommate and I did something to him. He has never been the same since, and I fear the change in him came about because of the trigger in him we activated.

Sarah: What.... kind.... of trigger?

Tiffany: You would never believe me even if I told you. This is where it gets really complicated.

Sarah: Try me. This is what I am here for.

Tiffany: Shawn used to think he was his Dungeons & Dragons character.... An Elven Warblade named Theron Daggershield who fought for the honor of the deity Mystra. My character from that D&D game, a Paladin named Kirilah that also followed Mystra's teachings, is who he saw me as.

The therapist raises her left eyebrow at Tiffany and places her notepad down on the desk.

Sarah: Uhhh.... Does he still think he is this game character?

Tiffany: Yes. Only now he thinks he is Theron Daggershield playing another character named Blackjack, from a tabletop version of The Legend Of Zelda.

Sarah: Does your company know about this?

Tiffany: Theron Daggershield, his D&D name, is also his wrestling persona's name. The federation officials all think it is part of the gimmick he portrays onscreen. He really does think he is a Legend Of Zelda character being played by a Dungeons & Dragons character.

Sarah: In all my.... How did.... Ok, why don't we back up a little.

Tiffany: I told you it was complicated.

Sarah: You said this was somehow your fault? Did you do something to Shawn?

Tiffany: Yes. This summer his roommate Ian and I.... we....

The therapist picks up her notepad and pen again. Tiffany hesitates.

Sarah: Please tell me.

Tiffany: And this never leaves this office?

Sarah: Of course, unless I feel that you or Shawn are in any danger.

Tiffany: Shawn's roommate and I are the ones who made him think he is his Legend Of Zelda character. I did it to help him in his matches, the federation officials as well as upper management within Talent Relations tasked me with having him consider a shift in alignment for his onscreen persona. So we made Shawn think he was playing a Chaotic Good character instead of a Lawful Good one. The Chaotic nature of this character makes me wonder if that trigger was what made him begin acting differently, such as when he went berserk at the Lethal Lottery match.

Sarah: But you do not feel like you are in any danger?

Tiffany: No. I know I am safe around him. It is just.... I don't know. Our coworkers think it is a gimmick and our immediate friends play along with him. I had no one else I could talk to about this and I wonder if I am reaching my breaking point in my efforts to maintain the gate between his fantasy world and real life.

The therapist makes several written notes on her notepad and then looks up at Tiffany.

Sarah: I would like to meet with both of you for your next session. Would you be able to ask Shawn to come with you?

Tiffany: I can ask him, although I do not think he will.

Scene fades out to black.

====

Meanwhile, out in the lobby....

Scene fades back in to the waiting room in the lobby of Sarah's office building. Blackjack Theron can be seen sitting on one of the couches reading a magazine. No one else is in the room. Not even Sarah's receptionist who, according to a note taped to the teller window, had taken the day off. He comes across an advertisement for Lethal Lottery 2016 in the magazine he is reading, one of the matches it promotes was the Fatal Fourway for the Eurasian Championship. Theron stares in anger at the image of Eurasian Champion Titus Avison. Suddenly, a voice with an unseen source is heard from behind him.

????: Made you really angry. Didn't he, young Hero?

The Natural 21 turns to his left and sees Mr Platinum by the doorway to the otherwise empty lobby. The enigmatic wizard walks over toward Theron.

Platinum: How did it feel, when the title you sought to win was retained by he who you thought deserved the least to win?

Theron's grip on the magazine tightens.

Platinum: How also did it feel, to see that same individual throw out your loved one?

The grasp Theron has on the magazine becomes so tight that a few of the pages begin to tear off.

Platinum: You failed, dearie!

Theron: SHUT UP!!!!

He throws the magazine right at Platinum, who moves his head out of the way and it hits the door, then it falls to the floor. Platinum looks down at the magazine. He picks it up and rolls it into a long circular shape. He walks up to Theron, who is still on the couch.

Platinum: I think you know what I've come for. I want to make a deal.

Theron: Spit it out, Platinum. I'm not in the mood for mind games. What do you want from me?

The wizard sits down on the couch next to Theron, clutching the still folded magazine in his hands.

Platinum: What I want.... Is something you know very well is within you.

He points the magazine at Theron's head.

Platinum: Right.... In there.... Dearie.... Hee hee!

Theron: What are you rambling about!?

Platinum: The bigger question is this, mister Hero....

Cackling to himself for a moment, Mr Platinum gets up off the couch and walks in front of Theron.

Platinum: What lengths are you willing to go to in order to defeat Tidarthian?

A look of seriousness and anger is seen on Theron's face again, as soon as Platinum mentions the name of his nemesis who was once also his hero.

Theron: Further than I was willing to go to against Davkas Diamonddeath a year ago.

Platinum: That could mean the difference between a win and a repeat of last year. Now, then, dearie.... Win against Leonaros Moonshadow at Burnup 136, then I shall come to you once more, with the artifact that will ensure you the victory you seek.

Theron: Leonaros was just announced as the next Hall Of Famer. In the time that has passed since he and I last faced each other he has become one of the most successful gladiators in history. What happens if I lose?

The wizard throws the magazine at Theron and then he responds with a much more serious tone replacing his earlier manner of speaking.

Platinum: You don't get it do you? There IS no "what happens if you lose". Win the match, earn the artifact. You won't defeat Tidarthian without what I have, so you must defeat Leonaros Moonshadow. Prove you truly want the artifact. Until we meet again, then.

Outraged, Theron gets up off the couch. He picks up the magazine and clasps onto it in anger. Platinum walks away from view.

Theron: I'll show you, Platinum!!!! Leonaros Moonshadow was the first gladiator I ever won a battle against in the World Gladiatorial Combat Federation. At Burnup 136, I'll beat Leonaros Moonshadow AGAIN! Just like I did at Burnup 95! And don't come back without your ARTIFACT!

He throws the magazine with all his might at the door. A thud is heard as it hits someone, but it wasn't Platinum. The shadow wizard is nowhere to be seen. Theron looks over and sees a young man appearing to be around 20 years old at the entrance to the lobby.

Young Man: What the HECK, dude? Why did you throw that magazine at me!?

Realizing he may have unintentionally hurt the youth, Theron approaches him to apologize.

Theron: I'm really sorry. I was trying to hit the shadow wizard who just walked out the door, not you.

Young Man: Who? What wizard?

Theron: The guy who literally just exited the building a moment ago....?

Young Man: I dunno what you're talking about but there's nobody here. I didn't see anybody leaving when I entered. I'm just here for a therapy appointment.

At that moment Tiffany walks into the lobby from the hallway. She walks over to Theron. The young man walks by them into the lobby Tiffany came out of, grumbling to himself.

Tiffany: Sorry, my session took a little longer than expected. Did you get some time to think out here about a strategy for your match with, umm, Leonaros Moonshadow?

Theron: Yeah.... He's come a long way since our last encounter at Burnup 95.... But so have I! The Theron he faced at Burnup 95 had not yet been victorious in a Crusade against The Garmr Dogs. That Theron had not yet competed in the main event of Empire Rally either. Speaking of the biggest battlefield, did you get me the match with Tidarthian at Empire Rally 8?

Tiffany: It has not been confirmed yet, but if you win this week since you are against a man who is about to become a Hall Of Famer, that should be enough to convince them to approve the match.

At that moment a notification tone is heard. Tiffany's iPhone has receiveved a message. She pulls it out and looks at the new text message, which is from Theron's roommate, Ian. The message can be seen by the viewer, but not by Theron.

12/5/2016, 7:05 PM

Tiffany, don't let Shawn know I am sending you this message, but there is something about the Blackjack character that I probably should have brought to your attention this summer. Let's just say that I would hate to be Shawn's in-ring opponent anytime soon. Look at page 2 of his character sheet and call me.

~ Ian

Tiffany puts her iPhone away and looks at Theron.

Theron: Everything ok? Who was that message from?

Tiffany: That was.... just my mom.... Yeah, she was wondering if I have put up my tree yet for the holidays this month....

Theron: We do have your big Winter Solstice party coming up. Let's go buy you the best tree in the whole item shop after I win my match against Leonaros.

Tiffany: Ok.

The Natural 21 walks offscreen. Tiffany's thoughts are heard as she watches him go outside.

Tiffany: ((((Great. Now I'm lying to him. Ian, this better be good....))))

Fade to black.

"Congratulations, Matt Tastic. You will be part of the WZCW Hall Of Fame, class of 2016."

They say it as if it was over. They say it as if I was done. With such definition. So simple. As if it was a participation medal. That's what I was thinking that night. When they gave me this plaque. It had my name written down, my accomplishments emblazoned. My years of service. All written in stone. Or metal. Whatever this thing is. It was the epitome of many years of hardship. Blood. Loses. Injuries. And so much more. I fought for it all. I got this plaque. It was an unusual emptiness what I felt that night. It's not even that I was mad or disappointed or anything, but for years I would win titles, hold them over my head and other people would fight me for them. Now I just got this object to hang in a wall. No one's fighting me over it. No one wants to take it. It's just...... Weird. An odd prize for a fighter to get.

"By the way, if we can just get your finger measured for your ring."

I am not getting married.

====================================

It's been a couple of days since that night. I..... I haven't even gone home yet so I'm parading around with this big square. I can't eat it, it's not a chocolate bar or something. But, things have to be done.

Matt is answering his phone. As he speaks to none other than Granpa.

Matt:Right. I appreciate you being so grateful for me, but this damn thing is a pain to drag around. UPS won't ship it because they "can't go" to remote places. OK? Well, how else do I send it? Messenger pigeon? ..........A swallow? They can't carry it. No, Granpa. It doesn't matter if it's European or African. Now as for........ My head? Yeah. My head is fine after the Lottery. I......... Yeah, I do seem to get beat up by those guys a lot. But I do not care about them. Because you know what? I saw something the night of the Lottery. Yeah. When I was at the doctor's that night, I saw something on the desk............ Well, listen to this. It was about Ramparte. Yeah. My partner last week's old partner. The one who got attacked, yeah. Well-

As Matt exploits about his peculiar finding, someone knocks on the hotel door. Banging about room service, Matt's thought process is interrupted as he turns to the door.

Matt: WHAT~!?

Doorman: Delivery for Matt Tastic~!

Matt: It's probably my lunch. I gotta go, Granpa. I'll tell you about it soon. But I'm not done with the Flex Mussel guy. Bye.

Matt hangs his phone and heads to the door to answer it. But when he opens it, he finds out it's not a pizza waiting for him. It's a box from WZCW HQ. Which Matt takes. As he sits on the bed, he thinks about recent happenings. Hurt in the head, the attacks by the Hollow Ones and whatever Flex Mussel is doing. Matt does not trust the man. Believing him to be hiding something but Flex not willing to say what it is. But there is this box he got. He opens it. And in it is all sort of decorations. Gold encrusted merch and stuff. And an envelope he opens revealing a letter with several tickets.

"Matt Tastic, you are here by announced as a member of 2017- Yada yada yada, here's several complimentary tickets."

Matt looks at the tickets. It still doesn't set in that this is all happening. It all feels so bizarre. Alien to Matt. Who only know that he has to fight and win. Nothing about awards. Just title. But as he's thinking about that, his phone rings. A text message.

"Matt Tastic you are scheduled to face Blackjack Theron at Meltdown 136"

Matt is to face Theron. "Cool", Matt thinks to himself. Suddenly that feeling of confusion toward his Hall Of Fame announcement, dislike towards The Hollow One's and Flex Mussel, turns to near disturbing glee. As a smile crept up on Matt's face. It processed through his head. Like clockwork. Defeat Theron, place himself in the title picture. Become the second ever Eurasian Champion. Ironically enough, it was Showtime who did that first, dethroning Matt himself. To him it was a poetic irony. But that long, elaborate plan had to be executed first. Defeating Theron is just one building block. But enough to motivate him. It also makes him forget about Flex Mussel. And what Matt seems to have seen the night if Lethal Lottery.

======================================

It's been a couple of days and Matt is still lugging around the plaque he got. Since the announcement, he's been stuck with media appearances and filming content. It's a real drag as Matt's thoughts linger on one thing. A victory over Theron. Sure, he may have beef with Flex and The Hollow One's. He feels there's things between Flex and Ramparte left unchecked. Matt with his old buddy Mikey Stormrage dethroned them and that set them to ultimately split up. But Matt's a wrestler. A fighter and the idea of combat excites him far more than any of that or this Hall Of Fame stuff as he's made to sit in a fancy suit. He at least gets to wear shades and a trucker hat to preserve some of his hick islander side.

Stacey Madison:Matt Tastic, it was announced that you would be inducted into the 2017 Hall Of Fame I have to announce how you feel about all that. It must be an overwhelming sensation.

Matt: Yeah, yeah. I am whelmed. I mean I'm overwhelmed...............................................................................................................................

Stacey: ..................OK? So who do you feel should induct you into the Hall Of Fame? Will it be your longtime associate and best friend, Mikey Stormrage? Or do you have someone else in mind? Maybe a past rival like Gordito or Rush.

Matt:Hm. Yeah. Sounds, sounds pretty good.

Stacey:........................John Smith.

Matt:HOLY FUCK, WHERE?!? WHERE?!? ......... Stacey, that's not funny. I still have nightmares about that gu-lad-creature.

Stacey: Then explain to me what's wrong because you seem zoned out. Is it Flex Mussel that's the problem? Twice over, he's seemed to rub you the wrong way.

Matt: Gross, no. Listen, nothing's wrong with me. I got a big award for being here a really really long time and doing a lot of things. That's great. But my mind isn't on any of that. I fight, Stacey. And you know this. It's what got me through the past, how many? 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, I am 2 months shy of my seventh year straight in this company. I took three months off to heal my back and that's all the free time I've ever had. The plaque and the ceremony, all that stuff is nice and all. But I really don't care for it. I can't defend that plaque like a title. I can't lose my Hall Of Fame status unless I commit some horrible act. I have two fists and I'm here to use them, Stace. Period.

Stacey: Then I suppose your eyes are on Theron.

Matt: Of course. He's an opponent I've never really faced. If I have, I can't remember. He's also set to challenge Titus for the Eurasian title at Kingdom Come. If he wins the title and I have a win over him, We've done this math equation before. And besides, a victory is a victory. I've been distracted 2015, Stacey. That plaque has all my accomplishments written and it may be set in steel but my career isn't over. It's not set in stone. So as long as there's a match to win, titles to be won, I'll continue. This award is nice and I appreciate it, but it's not my cup of tea. Theron, I'm Delivering Kickassery. And then I'll worry about Flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back