MD 103: Fallout(c) vs. Frank Mortlock-Elite X Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
Fallout's reign of terror has proven quite destructive. The list of victims is growing, with wrestlers like Dr. Zeus, Matt Tastic, and Theron Daggershield in his wake. Now, he faces he hardened detective, Frank Mortlock. Can Mortlock finally bring Fallout out to justice, for his acts of terror?

Deadline is Thursday, April 10th, 11:59 PM CST. Extensions available on request

The car rolled to a halt in the empty parking lot. I switched off the lights and we sat in near darkness broken up only by a few scattered street lamps.

You sure we have to do this, boss?

“We” don’t have to do a thing. You just aim that cannon of yours at the alleyway in case things go sour.

I stared at the Glock 22 in Otis’s less-than-steady hand and I made sure he saw me do it.

You think you can handle that while I do the rest, Constable Freeman?

Of course, sir...

The ’66 Buick Riviera GS is a thing of beauty – manufactured in Detroit, it symbolises the great American dream right up until the “Motor City” went to hell. The car’s interior felt like a second home to me, but apparently not to the rookie. I couldn’t really blame him.

If I was told that I was going into the Spider’s web and my partner was Frank Mortlock, I’d probably be a little nervous too.

Otis checked his watch.

Think he’ll show, Sir?

He better.

With only a minute or so until midnight and no sign of my informant, my gut warned me that something’s off. I had a look at all the usual spots – rooftops, drawn curtains, parked vehicles. I asked myself how well-connected Spider is and if his buddies would fancy the label of “cop-killer”. I assured myself that all is well and that I have a job to do.

If only I could shake this terrible feeling...

This is it, boy. Cover me.

I stepped out in full view of the crescent moon. Witching hour in Gloom Springs didn’t get any more real than this. Cold cement and gravel cracked underfoot. In this inky black alleyway with “Captain Greenhorn” as my only back-up, I hoped that I didn’t need any. I was playing it risky, but Spider’s trust meant no guns and no sirens.

A deep breath accompanied me into the back passage. The snitch was waiting for me with a big, unsettling grin.

Ah, Detective Mortlock...

Joe Spidrov, we meet again.

I extend my right arm, knowing all too well what followed. It was an uneasy feeling to shake the thumb, ring- and little finger that constitutes my informant’s hand. He got in with the wrong crowd and one night he lost two of his digits in a gang fight... or so he told me. That’s how Joseph Spidrov, the man with eight fingers, became the Spider.

Let’s cease the formalities, shall we?

Spidrov was of Polish stock, but with no vestige of foreign accent. It was hard enough for the lanky, pasty and bald immigrant to blend in anyway. His sickly pallor was apparent even in the gloom.

Alright, Spider, tell me what you know.

It has been an extremely uneventful week in the Spider’s web, Detective. You see, I cannot simply... make... activity for you.

No, of course not. That would be illegal.

Spider paused, as if to consider what “illegality” means to a policeman.

Yes, that it would. It would seem, therefore, that we are at an impasse, Frank. You have me – an informant – with nothing to inform and we have you – a detective – with nothing to detect.

I would seem that way, Spider, but you’re wrong about one thing.

Oh?

Resisting the impulse to panic, I surveyed the alley.

I do, in fact, detect one thing – you’re stalling. Wherever your friends are, they’re not here yet.

I didn’t have time to savor watching the penny drop, I had to move fast. I backpedalled and waved my arms at the Buick. In a rare moment of actual usefulness, Freeman rushed to my aid.

We restrained Spidrov, cuffed him and shoved him in the trunk of the Riviera. I took the wheel and got us out of there before whatever plans Spider made could come to fruition.

Back at the station we drag Spider to the room we use for questioning. Nobody was allowed to call it an “interrogation room”, so we didn’t. I was sitting on the right side of the one-way glass, watching Otis do his thing.

Tell me what you know!

Otis was seated opposite Spider at a folding steel table. The only lighting was the bright table lamp that was pointed at the snitch, whose pale skin did not make for a visually pleasing close-up in the harsh light. With his hands cuffed behind his back, Spider has little choice but to shut his eyes and writhe under the spotlight.

I can make this very unpleasant, Spidrov! We can do this the easy way, where you tell me everything you know right now and we release you, or we can do this the hard way!

If only the rookie was this assertive in his day-to-day policing!

I choose to exercise my right to remain silent!

Okay, so it’s the hard way, then.

Otis leaves the room and I let Spidrov stew for a while before I entered.

Oh, great. Let me guess... You’re here to ask me nicely and warn me about the other one.

I walked up to Spider’s chair and put my hands on his shoulders. I leant forward slightly and whispered in his ear.

No, actually. In fact, you already had the good cop visit you.

I kicked the chair out from underneath him and saw his frightened little eyes as he was looking up at me. I switched off the lamp and gave him a swift kick in the stomach.

When I switched on the lamp, I saw Spider clenching his teeth.

Look, Spider, I don’t know what your boss told you, but before long you are going to tell me. Let’s be real for a moment – withholding information from the police is a very serious crime, Spider. You think this is fun? Just wait until I throw you in jail along with every guy you sold out.

You... you wouldn’t! After all I did for you? That’s monstrous!

I had to chuckle at his denial.

Believe what you will. You’re staying in holding tonight and if you don't play ball after that, you're off to prison. By this time tomorrow you’ll either be a free man or the contents of a body-bag. The choice is yours. Sweet dreams.

The next day I was at my desk, appreciating the small mercy of working normal hours for a change. Three raps on my door indicated Otis’s presence.

Come in, Constable.

Sir, I have a man to see you. He’s from WZCW.

Send him in.

A portly man in an ill-fitting gray suit entered my office.

Detective Mortlock at your service…

Pleased to meet you, sir. My name is Johnny Klamor I’m here on behalf of WZCW to conduct an interview.

They sent you all the way out here for an interview? I must admit, I’m impressed.

Impressed at how little the WZCW-management has to keep them occupied…

Despite his confrontational disposition, I found myself strangely warming to the grease-ball. He didn’t strike me as a man to suffer fools and I admire that.

So last time on Ascension you had quite the fight against the magical Jimmy Wonder.

Jimmy Wonder is an excellent showman, but experience and pragmatism won on the day. Knowing when to strike is just as important as how you do. This week’s opponent on Meltdown is another kettle of fish.

The powers that be must see something in you, Frank. Having a title shot in what is only your third wrestling match ever is a wonderful opportunity.

I certainly appreciate the confidence shown in me. Having a disfigured, deranged lunatic like Fallout as a champion and representative simply won’t do, dear Johnny. Instead, I present myself to you – Frank Mortlock, champion of the law and the embodiment of justice.

You see, Johnny, I am not a monster. Here at GCPD, we work conscientiously. I have handled the worst that society has to offer and always came out on top. Do you know how I manage this, Johnny?

Enlighten us.

When the media calls thugs, deviants and miscreants “monsters”, I can only shake my head. The so-called “monsters” are no more than people, Johnny. They are the lowest rung, but I know they are flesh and bone. Fallout is no different. I have a message for Fallout, Johnny.

On Meltdown I will ease your burden, I will relieve you of your title. You don’t need this, you need the firm and fair discipline of the American justice system. Sooner or later, the law catches up with us all, Fallout. To be frank, that title is as good as mine. I will honor it for the sake of WZCW and strip you of it for your own good.

I showed “Big Johnny” the door and we exchanged empty promises of a follow-up get-together. I cleared my desk and spent the rest of the day mentally preparing. After all, I’m only human.

And so is Fallout.

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD:

With the final element of the SPECIAL compound under his draconian jurisdiction, Dmitri Zaytsev's preparations to overwhelm his steadfast adversaries were now in full motion. His erratic ambition of forging an army of proficient, versatile super-soldiers had at long last borne fruition with the critical delivery a fortnight prior, and with that, a pestilence-ridden cloud of terror had deeply swathed Yeltsin's Loyalist forces.

Word of Fallout’s sudden and radical variation of alignment had transmitted itself from person to person like an anfractuous, contagious epidemic, for the strength of strenuous speculation was more potent to the Loyalist forces than any physical weapon. Little time had elapsed before Oleg Yeltsin heard of his gladiator's abrupt mendacity, and he commanded Fallout to conference with him at once to justify his reckless and impeding actions. It was mortification that weighed upon Yeltsin's burdened mind more than anything else, as he expressed strong repentance in over-estimating the capabilities of his ultimate weapon.

When in fact, he was in fact depreciating Fallout's value.

Fallout was cognizant that at the time of his methodical intervention that the Loyalists would have no feasible measure of snatching leverage unless a great risk was made. Had Fallout sabotaged the insurgency's shipment as ordered, Zaytsev would have simply established another courier system more efficient than the last, and it would only delay the beckoning inevitable. By allowing Zaytsev to inaugurate a substantial stronghold in the civil war, it allowed Fallout to craft his course to exterminate Zaytsev and his revolution once and for all with a swift sucker punch offensive.

But as time progressed undeviatingly, even Fallout detected that his plan was in jeopardy. Only time stood between Zaytsev's unrelenting devastation that awaited with significant vigilance, and time had wrestled itself from Fallout's resolute grasp after granting Zaytsev access to his bounty. Fallout meanwhile stood at an allegorical crossroad, two consequential options before him.

To be quick or be dead.

Running his fingertips across the rusty, chrome doorknob to Oleg Yeltsin's office, Fallout momentarily paused before entering the frigid facility, and began to adjudicate the predicament he was in. His solidified position as the wildcard of the war was never less in doubt, for his subsequent actions would set the course for the history of conflict itself. Deadlier than the most volatile bomb, the most virulent toxin or the most cataclysmic projectile, Fallout's versatile role as the ultimate weapon would set to liquidating all that opposed his iron fist, no matter their allegiance nor aptitude in the field of combat.

But Fallout also understood that strength was located in numbers, and that even the apex predator could be repulsed by the unity of an abundant swarm. A one man army could be conquered by two armies of equal fortitude and skill, and it was the mercy of two ravenous armies that the deadlocked conqueror would find himself at. Alone and prone to subjugation from all conceivable angles, an uncommon emotion had began to manifest itself through Fallout's palpitating body: Solitude.

Distinguishing these thoughts expeditiously, Fallout eradicated the feeling of apprehension from his conscience just as quickly, thus emancipating his despairing thoughts from his cranium, and his eyesight fell upon his Elite X Championship perched on his battle-hardened shoulder blade. The last thing a monumental and vigorous warrior should allow to influence his attention is fear, especially approaching the home stretch of his transcendent gauntlet with the Elite X Championship. Deliberating over his record-severing slaughter of Ilapa, the omnipotent Fallout now only had two more victories to transpire before he could at long last collect his prize from the hapless, impuissant human that held it and begin his elongated, domineering reign as the champion of warfare, and the harvester of sorrow.

The impulsive Frank Mortlock was Fallout's penultimate opponent, and contrary to the common belief that a detective possesses great perception, no human could truly interpret the consternation of the super-soldier until much too late. Yet, this was not where the detective's true weakness lay. This was instead inhibited in his physical and mental agility, for Mortlock's occupation was heavily dependant on decisions, which captured him in Catch-22 whilst combating the unknown. Should he procrastinate, Fallout would outspeed and outmatch him. Should he rely on precipitence, human error would plague him. Regardless of the audacious inspector's choice, Fallout would maintain the offensive as Mortlock's traumatized mind would only whittle in processing power, before eventually succumbing to the dexterous and nimble champion, another name placed in the statistical list of fallen humans who attempted to defy the supreme sentinel.

"What confuses me though is this;" Fallout snarled rigidly to himself as he repeatedly pulled his fingers into his palm, applying a noticeable amount of pressure each time. "you have no sense of your trajectory. A detective should not be rushing to the harbinger of annihilation to be slaughtered. Regardless, it does not matter whether you meet me in chrysalis or not, for I shall blitz you and your intent to take this championship from me."

Promptly returning his attention to the entrance of Yeltsin's congested office. Fallout promptly turned the knob, and shunted the chiffon, wooden door open before bursting into the chilled room. The pale concrete walls assisted in allowing Oleg Yeltsin's turbulent, crimson face to dynamically stand out, as he began to stare daggers at Fallout.

"Take a seat." he barked gruffly with his arms folded, containing within him a fury of unknown proportions and a sharp glint in his manic eyes. Fallout slowly obeyed, strolling to his destination, before cautiously placing himself on a caliginous, leather chair.

"You need to know..." Fallout spelt out, but before he could begin to comprehend his statement, Yeltsin exploded vehemently towards him.

"I need to know nothing!" he screeched impatiently, banging his fist on the table like a jack-hammer. "What you need to know is that you've put our cause in critical danger by allowing Zaytsev to craft his super-army! We could have been gods Fallout, but instead, you've allowed our greatest enemy to become even greater!"

"Yes." Fallout callously told Yeltsin, the super-soldier reclined in his seat much to the visible dismay of Yeltsin. "For I shall have no gods nor masters to authorize my will. Only my very own absolute adjudication is needed for my personal crusade, for I am not the lustrous glow in the endless darkness of the world, but rather the darkness that eclipses all else. You are little more than a liability in my campaign, and I wish to sever ties with you at once."

"There will be no campaign, Fallout!" Yeltsin bellowed, launching himself from his own chair. "You have effectively destroyed us both, along with the entirety of the bona fide Spetsnaz force. In order to salvage this endeavour, you must LISTEN to me! You can do all things through him who strengthens you."

"But your profligate nature is of great hindrance to me." Fallout growled in return, rising from his own comfortable position.

"Your winning streak in WZCW began to extended when you joined my forces." Yeltsin declared, making his way towards Fallout impassively, gazing at the Elite X Championship slumped on his shoulder.

"It was merely coincidence." Fallout stated coldly.

"A gibe is not a rebuttal." Oleg Yeltsin replied, continuing on his path.

"Indeed." Fallout retorted professionally. "My sincere rebuttal is this: Zaytsev may be a backstabber, but you are little more than a hypocrite, as you have proven in the past. The jaws of vengeance ached for blood, and they shall receive it metaphorically today when I leave you to be destroyed, whilst I raze Zaytsev's forces with a sucker punch. The fact of the matter is that your desire for me to spawn wanton destruction is merely to satisfy your own agendas. I tear the impure humans apart piece by piece not only because I want to, but I need to. You and your loyalist forces restrain me from my goal."

"You were made to obey Fallout!" Yeltsin screeched, nearly speechless and gazing into Fallout's lenses. "You were made to devastate all opposition to me without any questions, yet you have gone against my just orders twice! But no longer. The Spetsnaz has no need for a radioactive man, encased in a hollow shell till death do you part, like a caged animal. It's time that we put you down like the rabid varmint you are."

"How do you expect to stop me?" Fallout mocked savagely. "You are dead in the water Yeltsin. Your own greatest asset has turned into your worst nightmare. At least I fight fire with fire whilst conflicting with Zaytsev, but there is nothing to quell my battery of your battalion."

"Incorrect." Yeltsin crooned with joy, withdrawing a small, transparent and plastic syringe housing a lambent emerald concoction within. "We had Doctor Holender create a kill-switch for any super-soldiers that had the temerity to infiltrate our base of operations. It prevents the flow of SPECIAL fluids through the subject's body, before shutting down the subject's vital organs to create dormancy. A swift and painless process. And it is only fitting that we test our prototypical kill-switch on a prototypical warrior."

With that, Yeltsin violently lunged at Fallout's vulnerable neck with the needle, but before he could complete his arc, he was met by a desolating uppercut from Fallout, which sent Yeltsin's limp, unconscious body crashing to the ground after a brief period of being airborne. Surveying the carnage he had created momentarily, Fallout heard guards rapidly approaching to his position. Before he sped out the room with great velocity, he made sure to scavenge the loaded syringe from the tile beneath him. He would need all the resources that he could get his hands on.

Perched on a fragile bench in the WZCW locker room, Fallout closely examined the aqueous substance he had confiscated from his former allies. Fallout professionally evaluated that the syringe only housed enough poison to quell one super-soldier. This did not trouble Fallout however, as his outlined onslaught only involved the elimination of one man: Dmitri Zaytsev. With his super-human agility, Fallout knew he could strike Zaytsev with a sucker punch before he could complete his proposed army. For when the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.

"But first, I cripple Frank Mortlock limb by limb and end his ascension once and for all." Fallout hissed harshly. "For he may masquerade as the champion of justice, but when my Elite X Championship is apart of the equation, he is missing a crucial detective element."

Fallout, as always, profoundly savoured his final statement.

"I am the law."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back