Major Stars Who Got Over, But Never With You?

John Morrison - He was an okay spot-monkey but 'good' matches with JoMo were few and far between. Sheamus carried him to a great ladder match and he had chemistry with Miz in the ring but other than that I struggle to find a match that could back JoMo up as main event material. And mic-skills and charisma? What mic-skills and charisma? He has one of the most boring and monotone promo styles I can recall in recent memory and he was very repetitive. A filler IC champion is the best I'd EVER give Morrison.

Batista

Back to Batista, he got all the credit, while it was his opponents that delivered the entertainment value to the feuds. Edge, Taker, Booker T, JBL (I think), they made the feuds bearable and entertaining.

Warrior

Huge star, kids adored him, but it just got tired to see him work the same schtick: Run down to the ring, shake the ropes, clothesline, beat your chest, do your finishing move the end. His promos were nonsensical, but he always did them the same way all the time.

Everyone who has ever gotten over because I'm a hipster wrestling fan and I know it's not cool to like guys who are over, especially the babyfaces. I prefer the charisma-less undcard guys in kickpads who don't get over.

But really, guys who get over that I never really got into? Edge. I always appreciated him, but not to the level he got over.

John Morrison - He was an okay spot-monkey but 'good' matches with JoMo were few and far between. Sheamus carried him to a great ladder match and he had chemistry with Miz in the ring but other than that I struggle to find a match that could back JoMo up as main event material. And mic-skills and charisma? What mic-skills and charisma? He has one of the most boring and monotone promo styles I can recall in recent memory and he was very repetitive. A filler IC champion is the best I'd EVER give Morrison.
Title: "major stars who got over, but never with you"
Now, see, Morrison was never a major star and never got over. That's why he was never more than a filler IC champion and never got over.

Was this thread supposed to be "guys who got over with the message board people but never you"? Because that list is insanely long if we're doing that.

For women, I would say Maryse and AJ Lee - reasons being the former couldn't wrestle and the latter apparently can but has an annoying gimmick and hardly does wrestle.

Maryse: I just remember people swearing up and down to Maryse's skill and even elevating her to godhood by calling her "Maryesus" and I never got it, except people thought she was beautiful and that has a lot of mileage. I would have loved her too if she could wrestle and had a gimmick other than the old standby for beautiful women. While I'm at it, K2 can get a piece of that.

AJ Lee: Annoying as hell gimmick. I think it's because when I was living in Japan there are countless eternal girls (grown women) who act cute but are trashy at the same time and, not being a man nor a (wo)man who goes for that, it annoys me and creeps me out. I wouldn't want to see AKB48 wrestle, nor do I want to see an incredible simulation. If you're gonna be cute, be cute, if you're gonna be trashy, be the best trashy you can be. Example: Velvet Sky. Also, the skipping. :wtf:

As for male wrestlers: Shawn Michaels. Not saying he's not good, but I just never felt emotionally invested in him. I've never been into someone just because they're popular/can wrestle. There has to be some kind of spark that catches my interest and I've never felt that with him. There are some "lesser" wrestlers who can amuse me for hours on end, but he never caught on with me.

Honorable mention: Today's CM Punk. This one is hard to explain, but is not a case of raising a guy up when he's languishing in the midcard then getting sick of him when he's elevated (I don't care where a wrestler is as long as they are on tv and able to do their thing). He comes across as just as manufactured as John Cena to me. He's "edgy" rather than edgy. He just doesn't come across as authentic to me. I think less was more. I don't hate or dislike him and I get why people like him but he does nothing for me anymore. :shrug:

Sheamus

Just never clicked with me, and by the looks of him, it'll be a long time before he does.

Jeff Jarrett

I have never been a fan of Double J in the least, but I will admit to using "slap nuts" as an insult.

Randy Orton bores the hell out of me. I understand his place in the company and he probably deserves to be there, but for the life of me I don't understand why. He's injury prone, he's stale (to me at least), and he's boring on the mic. I can't get behind his arsenal of moves either, even if the RKO is one of the best finishers of all time. When he goes into viper mode, I'm not quite sure if I should get up out of my seat and cheer, or get out of my seat and call him an ambulance. The guy looks like a harpooned whale flopping on the beach gasping for air. Doesn't do it for me.

Another one, and this is going to be ripped down a lot but I don't care, is The Rock. I'm being completely honest here when I say this, The Rock never really "clicked" with me. This is long before he even filmed Mummy 2... I've not once found the guy to be worth the hype people give him. Stone Cold, Triple H, Taker, Kane, and Mankind are all names that stand out from the Attitude era long before I think of The Rock. Hell, I think of Kai and Tai before I think of him. In the "modern era" he gets even more exposed for the fraud he is... first by John Cena who out mic works him in EVERY confrontation and out performs him at both Survivor Series and Wrestlemania... By the way, I don't care if he was gone for 7 years. Stay out of the ring if that's your excuse, or stick around longer so that you're not getting winded too early in your matches....

And now, again, he's being out classed (already) by CM Punk. Not surprising in the least, considering I've always been a CM Punk fan since I first heard of him in 05, well after he got popular with the IWC but still the point remains the same. If Rock's so great, then why hasn't he been the focus of the show like everyone else in the Attitude Era main event scene?

Now forgive me if I have misunderstood you here ( Not that I do make mistakes)
But to say 'If The Rock is so great why hasn't he been the focus of the show, like everyone else in the Attitude Era main event scene'.

Are you high? Really? Wtf????

This is the guy who was the second biggest star of the Attitude Era. A guy who headlined 4 consecutive Wrestlemanias ( I count Hogan vs Rock as the real main event) and co main evented a 5th. He head lined argubly the greatest Wrestlemania ever.

Then after 7 years away he comes back as the guest host of Wrestlemania 27.
Never before never again will there be a guest host, and on the night got to screw the.biggest face of WWE ever out of the title in the Main Event.

Then ,just to show how unfocused the too brass are, he gets a year long build to.the.biggest Wrestlemania match ever, in which he goes over the face of the company clean.

Fast forward to the 1000 episode of raw The Rock comes back announces title.match at the Royal Rumble, in which he will probably end the longest WWE title reign of the last 25 years , and go on to headline another Mania.

If thats the show not been focused you, then i dont know what is.

#1 on that list is definitely J-E-Double F J-A-Double R-E-Double T (I just quoted the best thing Jeff Jarrett ever did, think about that for a minute.

I never got the appeal of him, I never saw him more than a mid card guy who happened to be a main eventer in WCW and TNA and I honestly never thought he was good enough to warrant such a high spot on either roster, even if there wasn't much in the talent pool at points. Whether he was "The chosen one" or the leader of planet Jarrett I could never get into him and frankly I never saw much out of him on the mic or in the ring. His matches are alright but nothing special, his talking ability is good but not great and the fact he has as many world titles as he does is simply baffling, I'll take Ziggler over Jarrett in terms of skill and I am NO Ziggler fan.

There may be others but Jarrett is hands down the one on the list that I don't care for.

ha there's too many to list, most of them dont get over with me it seems lol! But the biggest star that i never really liked at all...probably Sting. Just did nothing for me. Especially after he became "The Crow" ripoff character or whatever he was trying to be. I guess he's the joker now?? whatever, have never liked him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back