Main Eventers That Never Happened

Wow. There's not really much that can be added to this list so far. There have been a lot of names I agree with. Hennig, Rude, etc.

I forgot all about Scott Norton, but yeah, I can see that one totally. I have a couple more names to add, though.

Hugh Morris/Bill DeMott. Another big man, ala Norton, who could move around the ring well and could perform many aerial maneuvers like a cruiserweight. I always liked Morris, and always felt he could go farther than what he did. (Hated that "General Rection" crap they saddled him with later, though. Ugh. One more reason to remember why Russo sucks and deserves to be hated.)

Perry Saturn. Just youtube the guy. He had the look, the build, was technically sound and could perform a number of high flying maneuvers well. He got saddled w/some goofy gimmicks that he actually made entertaining (Moppy, anyone?) and I never knew how he could not be much bigger than he was back in the day.

Mordecai. I still stand by this (I mentioned this a while back in another thread). I could have totally seen him gaining epic momentum in the "anti-Undertaker" gimmick that he was. The vignettes were cool as fuck, he had the look, the mannerisms, the height, hell, he even had a similar build. He could have been as big as Kane when he debuted and, if introduced a little later or given the chance to become a permanent fixture, could have easily carried on the supernatural "Taker-type" gimmick once Calloway retired. I'm still pissed off that Mordecai wasn't kept around and built up. I mean, look at how long they've kept Drew around in order for him to find his niche (and this isn't Drew bashing, btw. I like McIntyre, he's one of my current faves. Just making a point).

P.S. Highly agree w/Shelton Benjamin. They screwed up royally w/that one.

One more quick name I'd like to throw in there. JYD. He had the crowd backing to become bigger than what he was.
For that matter, so did Superfly Snuka.

Jake "The Snake" Roberts - This guy was over big time in his WWE/F run (Maybe not so much in his return in '96). He had feuds with Andre, Rude, Honky Tonk, and Macho Man. Also in his Pick your Poison DVD he talked about his feud he had with Hogan and said the crowd was a 50/50 split. This all being at the height of Hulkamania.

Raven

How could I put a two time ECW World Champion or NWA Champion on here? Good question; but I'm not talking about ECW. Or WWF/E. I'm talking about WCW.

If I could go back and change one thing about WCW. Do ANYTHING to it that I want, it would be to make Raven the WCW Champion. Why? His promos were awesome. He had a true one of a kind gimmick that was very fitting for its time on top of it. If I were to do a list of the top guys who never became WCW champion, Raven would be #1.

Raven's Flock could've been the next big thing in wrestling. I don't mind Invasion storylines. They're pretty cool. However, why not have a cult-like stable invade? I think it would've been good if there was a way to find a transition to pass the torch from the NWO to Raven's Flock and the Flock rules WCW. Instead, the Flock takes a backseat to the NWO and the Straight Edge Society, which also could've been HUGE, I would've LOVED for that to happen, fades out while the Nexus storyline goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I like both the NWO and the Nexus; but I would like to see a cult rule a wrestling company sometime. Raven was the crowned jewel of the flock. He was World Championship material; but the backstage politicians saw and heard nothing of it. Sad.

Desmond Wolfe

Now I'm not talking about ROH's Nigel "All World Talent" McGuiness. I'm talking about the shitbag gimmick that he has been saddled with in TNA. He should be at the worst TV Champ, and at best he's a top name main eventer. He had wrestling clinics with Kurt Angle, and this is what he needs to do after injury.

Rene Dupree

Now I know, the french guy that couldn't dance to save his life, but, he had talent. Oodles and oodles of talent. He had a very good finisher with the Bonsoir driver (michinoku driver) and his "French Tickler" dance still get me laughing when ever I see it. He could have been a HUGE HEEL!!!!

William Regal

One day this man will be in the HOF, and if he's not I'll go insane. He is the best technical wretler this side of Arn Anderson (another man who should be on here) and he never gets his comeupance. Hell, he justified his name on my list when I saw him dress as a Buxom Wench, when he lost to Paul Birchall.

Bam Bam Bigelow

My favorite big man, he had so much talent, and IMO the best flying big man EVER!!! The fact that he never sniffed a World Title is god awful.

Kenny Dykstra

WTF happened to this kid!!!!! He had it all, look, talent, charisma,and an awesome future looked imminent when he broke away from the Spirit Squad, but he ends up losing to Ric Flair. Now that's not bad at all, being the best wrestler ever and all, but then he gets caught in an angle with The Natural's girl, Victoria (Tara), as her man bitch. This was, and is a travesty, Who would've thought that Nicky (Dolph Ziggler) would be the break out man in the Spirit Squad when they had Johnny Jeter and this underused talent?????

Paul Birchall

The FUCKING PIRATE GIMMICK!!!!!!!! You might as well have called him Captain Jack Swallows FFS!!!!! Come on guys, this guy had it all, and I mean all. He could have been Wade Barrett, before Wade Barrett. He even had his "sister' Katie Lee, who is lip quivering hot, who could have been the heel manager. He could have had his "Ripper" gimmick, Good Fucking God WWE, PLANNING FAIL!!!!!!!!!

First off, I'd really like to dispute all your claims that Mr. Perfect, Curt Hennig wasn't a main eventer. He didn't need to be a World Champion to be at the main event level, and let me tell you, he was there. Hennig was excellent, he could carry a match with anybody, there is no doubt in my mind he was a main eventer.

Now, on to my pick. The guy that stands out in my mind is Shelton Benjamin. When he got drafted to Raw, he got put into that mini-feud with Triple H, and he actually won. He looked damn good, I remember saying to myself, "This guy's gonna win the World Title some day." Fast forward to today, he's not even in the WWE anymore, and he's sporadically working in WWCand ROH with Charlie Haas riding his coattails. Benjamin is a very talented wrestler, he is damn good in the ring, he is charismatic, during his WWE run I sincerely thought he would eventually get pushed to that main event level. It's a real shame he never got up to that level, he would have done a great job. As Intercontinental Champion, I always loved watching what he could do. He could have used that belt as a springboard, but he didn't. Then he had his opportunity against HBK, but that turned into a comedy angle. Shelton Benjamin could have been a damn good main eventer.

There are a few good mentions so far that I've seen. Bam Bam Bigelow was an awesome choice as was Shelton Benjamin. Although, I completely agree that Jake the Snake, Mr. Perfect and maybe even Raven are obvious choices, I feel like, in their own right, they were main eventers, just not world champions.

My nod is going to D'Lo Brown.

07.jpg

At 6'1 278 lbs, D'Lo was extremely agile for his size. If you're too young to remember him in the WWE in the late '90s, youtube him doing the frog splash or the moonsault. The Greatest European Champion of all time, as well as former Intercontinental champion. He had some great angles with X-Pac/DX, as well as his gimmick with the chest protector.

WOW! all good picks by previous posters. most notably, test and perfect. ill add to the group w/ afew that havent been mentioned:
Christian- theres still time. has the talent, following, and i think deserves some damn main event treatment.
British Bulldog- this guy had his personal problems, but during his prime he had it all, the look, talent, and could put on a DAMN good match.
Marty Janetty- i believe ive read b4 that janetty was suppose to get HBKs push b4 all the outside the ring problems. marty had talent. who knows what mighta been.
Crush- Brian Adams was being pushed HARD 2 face yokozuna at SummerSlam before they suddenly went w/ luger last min in the infamous slam aboard the aircraft carrier. again, who knows what woulda happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back