Macho Man Randy Savage: Favorite WM Match

Favorite Savage WM Match

• WM2- George (IC title)

• WM3- vs. Steamboat (IC title)

• WM4- vs. Butch Reed, Greg Valentine, One Man Gang, & Ted DiBiase (Tournament for WWF title)

• WM5- vs. Hogan

• WM6-vs. Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire (Mixed tag, Sensational Sherri was Savage's partner)

• WM7- vs. Ultimate Warrior (Retirement Match)

• WM8- vs. Ric Flair (WWF title)

• WM10- vs. Crush (Falls count Anywhere Match)

Results are only viewable after voting.

justinsayne

Cody Rhodes is an excellant
Just like the others

WM2-
Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) defeated George Steele to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship (5:10)

* Savage pinned Steele with a roll up and both feet on the ropes.

WM3- Ricky Steamboat (w/George Steele) defeated Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) to win the WWF Intercontinental Championship (14:35)

* Steamboat pinned Savage by countering a scoop slam into a small package.

WM4- Tournament First Round: Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) defeated Butch Reed (w/Slick) (5:07)

* Savage pinned Reed after a Flying Elbow Drop.

Tournament Quarter-Final: Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) defeated Greg Valentine (6:06)

* Savage pinned Valentine by roll-up after countering his Figure Four leglock.

Tournament Semi-Final: Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) defeated One Man Gang (w/Slick) (4:05)

* One Man Gang was disqualified after attempting to strike Savage with Slick's cane.

Tournament Final: Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth and Hulk Hogan) defeated Ted DiBiase (w/André the Giant) to win the vacant WWF Championship (9:27)

* Savage pinned DiBiase following a Flying Elbow Drop after DiBiase was struck by a chair swung by Hulk Hogan (as a counter-measure for Andre's repeated interferences in the match).

# Robin Leach read a special proclamation "sanctioning" the tournament for the WWF Championship at the start of the event and was scheduled to present the belt to the winner, though it was snatched away by Hulk Hogan in celebration of Randy Savage winning.

WM5- Hulk Hogan defeated Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth in a neutral corner) to win the WWF Championship (17:54)

* Hogan pinned Savage following a Leg Drop.

WM6- Dusty Rhodes and Sapphire (w/Miss Elizabeth) defeated Randy Savage and Sensational Queen Sherri in a Mixed Tag Team match (7:52)

* Sapphire pinned Sherri after Miss Elizabeth pushed Sherri over Sapphire.

WM7- The Ultimate Warrior defeated Randy Savage (w/Sensational Queen Sherri) in a Retirement Match (20:48)

* Warrior pinned Savage after a series of Diving Shoulder Blocks.
* Following the match, Savage and Queen Sherri had a falling out, setting up his on-screen reunion with Miss Elizabeth.

WM8- # Randy Savage (w/Miss Elizabeth) defeated Ric Flair (w/Mr. Perfect) to win the WWF Championship (18:05)

* Savage pinned Flair via a tights-assisted roll-up.

WM10- Randy Savage defeated Crush (w/Mr. Fuji) in a Falls Count Anywhere match (9:49)[1]

* Savage won the match when he hogtied Crush to a winch backstage in the Garden, preventing him from returning to the ring within sixty seconds.

For me it's Savage/Steamboat at WM3, this match is without a doubt one of the greatest matches of all time, it was about as perfect as a match can get, both guys just worked off each so well, and the match had you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end, this is just one of those matches that never ever gets old, and is the match that made me a Savage fan

Needs a poll...add one Justin.

Anyway, it is Wrestlemania 8 all the way. Not even a contest, I don't give a shit about Savage / Steamboat. The Raw emotion in the Savage vs Flair contest was UNBELIEVABLE. The simple though of pictures going around of Elizabeth with Flair, and the prospect of a centerfold on Elizabeth in the hands of Mr. Perfect? You could HEAR and FEEL Savage's blood starting to boil ever so slowly.

Savage was masterful. He sprints to the ring, not stopping to bask in the glow of Wrestlemania, or to strike poses. He points at Flair, and darts to the ring. Fuck you, Flair, I am not distracted! Having Heenan and Monsoon on commentary was priceless.

The ending was great. Liz comes down to the ring, crying, with security trying to URGE her to the back. Talk about drama! Flair taunts Savage by yelling to Elizabeth, and Savage rolls up the tights for his 2nd WWF Title, just a year and a half after being retired by The Ultimate Warrior.

This match had that one-two punch of great buildup and great execution. The total package was in place, everybody played the roles, and the result was one of the greatest title matches in WM history!

I have to disagree that WM 8 was his best match. For starters I found this ppv on VHS over the weekend and decided to watch it only to see what has to be the worse wrestlemania ever. It was so great to have the rocket v skinner on the card after this match. The best part of it by far was the post match promo, because I have never seen a better Savage interview. He was on point. The first ten minutes of this match were an absolute bore and even though the hype and story was great and the post match was amazing the match itself wasn't spectactular. Plus to have it as the World title match and in the middle of the card was audacious.

To be honest there isn't a single match here that I loved except for the one with Steamboat. My parents aren't wrestling fans but they knew I was going to Wrestlemania this weekend and they both asked me to find them the Steamboat v Savage match because it is the match that they both remember from all the years that they had occasionally seen matches. To me if the ending was better this match would be considered the best of all time but something about the Steele interference didn't do it for me. Overall though it was a great match well before its time.

In response to 8five, your post reminded me that many of the member posting in these forums aren't old enough to have seen all of the Wrestlemanias when they originally aired. Savage's match with Flair had quite a build to to it. Unlike these days when you have a new PPV every month and a rather quick pace to storylines and angles, this one was given time to build between mid-January and late March. In those 3 months, Flair managed to truly get under Savage's skin, leading to their climatic match at Wrestlemania. The anticipation for some fans was electric and while the match might not have been either Savage and Flair's best, it was certainly a solid main event (though I remember it being in the middle of the card, with Hogan vs. Sid being the final match of the night) and one of the more solid Wrestlemania cards. I personally think the match between Bret Hart and Roddy Piper was one of the best IC titles of all-time. The truth is, wrestling was different back then in how the angles and storylines were developed and the pace of the matches. Personally, I prefer the older, more patient and developed approach, but I also realize that a majority of today's wrestling fans prefer the newer, more aggressive approach, which I respect.

Please excuse my digression... as a guy who watched all of Savage's Wrestlemania's in real time, as opposed to home video, DVD's, or WWE 24/7, and disregarding anticipation and accompanying storylines (as they don't represent the action in the ring), I'd say Savage's best Wrestlemania match was Wrestlemania 7 against the Ultimate Warrior. Going into the match ignorant of the outcome, I was completely unsure of who would come away with the victory. I remember Savage delivering multiple elbow drops, only for the Warrior to kick out. The biggest surprise for me was Savage kicking out of the Warrior's splash, as no one had at that point. Bear in mind, while it might be commonplace for upper mid-carders and main-eventers to kick out of a finishing move today, back then, with the exception of Hogan and perhaps occasionally the Warrior, it just didn't happen. When Savage kicked out of the splsh, I was left wondering how the match would end. Granted, technically, Savage's match with Steamboat was light years ahead in terms of technical prowess, but the unpredictability of this match, as well as the unexpected length made it extremely enjoyable to watch. And, as simple as it may sound, it was entertaining, which is why we all watch wrestling to begin with... to be entertained and to be held in a moment of disbelief. Savage's best wrestling match might've been with Steamboat, but my favorite was Wrestlemania 7.

No hard feelings, just a difference in opinion. Enjoy Wrestlemania this weekend, 8five!

P.S. If I had to vote for the worst Wrestlemania, it would be Wrestlemania XII. While the Iron Match match was great and Deisel/Undertaker was one of the best "big man" matches of all time, the rest of the matches were highly disposable and disappointing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to disagree that WM 8 was his best match. For starters I found this ppv on VHS over the weekend and decided to watch it only to see what has to be the worse wrestlemania ever. It was so great to have the rocket v skinner on the card after this match. The best part of it by far was the post match promo, because I have never seen a better Savage interview. He was on point. The first ten minutes of this match were an absolute bore and even though the hype and story was great and the post match was amazing the match itself wasn't spectactular. Plus to have it as the World title match and in the middle of the card was audacious.

To be honest there isn't a single match here that I loved except for the one with Steamboat. My parents aren't wrestling fans but they knew I was going to Wrestlemania this weekend and they both asked me to find them the Steamboat v Savage match because it is the match that they both remember from all the years that they had occasionally seen matches. To me if the ending was better this match would be considered the best of all time but something about the Steele interference didn't do it for me. Overall though it was a great match well before its time.

A lot of people love the Steamboat match, and that was a fantastic match, no doubt about it. But for me, the retirement match against Warrior was an absolute masterpiece. This match is what pro wrestling is ALL about. It was an emotional rollercoaster from beginning to end. Up and down, up and down. The drama, the energy, the story... everything about it was simply amazing. This match doesn't get anywhere near the amount of praise and recognition that it deserves.

During the match, Savage dropped FIVE consecutive diving elbow drops on Warrior, but Warrior SOMEHOW managed to kick out, leaving Savage to think "what the hell am I supposed to do to beat this guy??" Then, Warrior gorilla pressed Savage, and gave him the running splash, but Savage kicked out. No one had EVER kicked out of that before. This left Warrior thinking "has my time come, is it time for me to step down?" Warrior contemplated leaving, but Savage attacked him and the match continued. Savage went to jump on Warrior (who was leaning against the steel barricade on the outside) from the top turnbuckle, but Warrior moved out of the way, and Savage landed on the steel barricade. Then Warrior gave Savage THREE running shoulder blocks and FINALLY scored the pinfall in an epic match.

But the drama didn't end there, Savage's manager Sherri started attacking him, which lead to Elizabeth rushing to Savage's aid, reuniting with the love of her life. They hugged and Savage put Elizabeth on his shoulder like old times, in one of the greatest moments in WM history. Now THAT is drama and storytelling at it's very best.

I rank this match as the 2nd or 3rd best match in WM history, and one of the very best matches of all time. Simply a classic.

To me it's steamboat just edging out Flair. I could easily watch either match, but the Steamboat match just was classic wrestling with limited storylines. The Flair match is amazing as the story to it was balanced just right to be a perfect compliment to the match. Steamboat just barely edges it though as there isn't a moment of break in it. There was a line in the steamboat match where Ventura said something to the effect of this is the greatest match in the history of professional wrestling, and I find it hard to disagree.

The Savage-Steamboat match stands out to me, for obvious reasons. Just two guys putting on a hell of a match. George "The Animal" Steele hanging out by the ring was unnecessary, and it kinda took away some of the drama and intensity of the match. But, you have to remember it was the 80's, the "cartoon" era of the WWF.

Of course, the retirement match against Warrior was also excellent, but more for what took place after the match-not the match itself. Which is why the Savage-Steamboat match edges it out...

For me the Steamboat vs Savage match turned out to be a sour experience as I was obviously not old enough to watch it when Wrestlemania 3 aired. But it was hyped up for me so much my friends were telling me how amazing it was, and I have been on some other forums and it's the must see match as they describe it. And last Christmas I got the Wrestlemania anthology so I watched the Steamboat vs Savage and it was such a great match I am not denying that but I really don't think it was the best match in either mens careers I just felt that people overhyped it so much for me for a few years by the time I watched it my expectations were so high I don't think any match could have lived up to my expectations.

So for me the best Randy Savage match has got to be his match against Hogan it's just about the only Hogan match that I can withstand it is a very enjoyable match. Both Savage and Hogan did good in this played to the crowd very well. And I just love heel Savage. And the way they built it up so it was like a year in the making was great as well. Really gave the match a very good backstory. The way they added Miss Elizabeth into this match was very well done as well. In my opinion the best Wrestlemania match of both Savage and Hogan.

But like any match really there was only one bad bit to this match one match that didn't so much ruin it for me but made it displeasing. Hogan won, I understand why they made him win it due to him being face and all. But anyway great backstory and great match quality. One of my favourite Wrestlemania matches of all time.

I like the Savage/Warrior match just because of the fact that match showed Savage in the light i most remember him,dragging juice heads to decent matched. I dare you to find a boring Savage match,he's so good even Hogan looked like he could wrestle,not to mention the fact he's defeniately top 5,even top 3 ever on the mic period behind flair,austin,and argueably The Rock. Randy Savage was the bar that all middleweight style wrestlers look to achieve.

I have to roll with my fellow WM 8 mark, IC25, and go with the Flair match, for all the same reasons. The drama. The selling of both men. The wonderfull commentary from both Heenan and Monsoon. And the palapable HATRED that existed in this match. You really belived that Savage positively wanted to KILL Flair. And I think the unclean finish was the best part of all, as Savage beat Flair at his own game. One of my favorite matches of all time, and one of the best of all time IMO.

IC25 and KBunker, Im going to have to agree with both of you. Savage Steamboat would have probly got my vote, because everything about that match was about perfect, except the ending, Savage should have won. But like IC25 says, The emotion, and in ring spots and wrestling in the Flair/Savage match was spot on! From the story lines leading up to the match, to the after math that followed, this was a great story to follow, and both men were great. The match had great spots and great wrestling the whole time. Mr. Perfect was great also. Flair/Savage Hands Down!

I had to go with WM3 because everytime I see that match it makes me feel like a kid again watching wrestling for the show of it. Wrestlemania III is one of my favorite events and this match has the same effect Hogan Andre has on most other fans of the era.

One reason I almost voted for the WM7 match against Warrior is because that year, it saved Wrestlemania. Watch the event again, other than the USA vs Iraq build up that show had nothing. I think there were about four sqaush matches. The Hogan vs Slaughter feud has not had the longevity the WWF thought it would but Warrior Savage will always be seen as a classic.

Don't have a lot of time to comment here. But (even though it is the popular choice) I am sticking with WM III. This is the match that solidifies that PPV as one of the greats. Everyone remembers the hype and excitement for the Andre/Hogan Main Event, so this bad boy snuck in there and was the Match of the Year. It stole the show ... and remains one of the top 10-20 matches of all-time.

I'd have to go with Flair/Savage hands down. While in truth it wasn't a career making performance for either man, it turned out to be a career highlight for them both. Let's face it, Flair and Savage had chemistry together....just like Austin/Rock, Hogan/Andre. In the wrestling business, a solid working chemistry is necessary for a memorable feud.

Side Note: Besides the match at Wrestlemania, the Flair/Savage feud spawned one of the greatest Ric Flair promos of all time directed towards Warrior and Savage. "....and Warrior...I've been beatin' up guys with paint on their face my entire career! So if you wanna' follow Savage down, I'll beat you thirty seconds later."

Savage doesn't get the respect he deserves as being probably THE MVP of WWF programming back in the day. Savage did most of the house shows and TV shows, and always delivered on every PPV (unlike Hogan who skipped most house shows and usually did boring matches). Combining the match with the awesome pre-match hype (plus the post match blow up which is priceless) I voted for WM 8.

That said, WM 3 was an exceptional match. Of course, wrestling against both Steamboat and Flair in their primes, Savage couldn't help but look good. Hogan, although he usually was matched against overweight stiffs and muscle types with limited athleticism, did deliver pretty good (if not great) matches when forced to wrestle someone who was good, IE he worked hard to not be shown up by better performers. Therefore, while Savage-Hogan was a good match, Savage REALLY deserves props for his bout with Ultimate Warrior.

UW had a reputation as a lousy worker, poor performer, and exhibited little skill in selling opponents moves or doing anything creative on his own. The fact that this match was as good as it was is pure testament to Savage and his abilities. Steamboat, Flair, and Hogan all had better matches than RS vs UW but the fact that match was pretty good makes it Savage's best "performance" at WM ifnothis best overall match.

i gotta go wit macho man vs ultimate warrior wit the rep the warrior had as not being a good workin in the ring at all macho man carried him to prob the best match of the nite. that match had everythin the crowd was into it kick out of finishers they even played up to miss elizabeth being in the crowd

Most people probably will say Savage's match with Steamboat was the best, but to me, his match vs Flair was the best. I remember watching that match live and being on the edge of my seat(from my living room, I wasn't at the show). I remember the buildup for that match and Flair claiming "Elizabeth was his before she was Randy's" and I remember anticipating seeing Savage beat him up. Also like someone else said, the raw emotion of that match was unbelieveable.

My favorite Savage WM match has to be his match with Hulk Hogan at WM 5. The build up to this match was tremendous. You could just feel Savage was going to turn on Hogan, not because of Elizabeth, but because Hogan still got all the attention even though Savage was Champion. The match was also one of the better Hulk Hogan title matches in WM history. Plus seeing these two battle, as arguably the two most popular wrestlers in the world at that point, was like Hogan-Warrior and Rock-Austin.

probably ricky steamboat at Wrestle Mania 3. IT is never mentioned due to hulk hogan's slam which is overated while this match is underrated. Both men performed to the best of their ability. The carried each toher extrmeley well and the match will be one that wont be forgotten soon

I voted for Wrestlemania 4. An entire Wrestlemania carried by one man is impressive. Randy Savage made it one hell of a Wrestlemania. The Finally of Wrestlemania was classic, Macho Man with Miss Elizabeth celebrating with the WWF Roster. The one thing I always did hate is when Hulk Hogan decided to make it Hogan Party. The matches were all pretty good, even up until the end. For one man to have that many matches in one Wrestlemania pars with Bret Harts WM 10 effort, and Bret and Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania 12 effort. Good selesction, But its my favorite moment.

It absolutely has to be the Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair match at Wrestlemania 8. I remember watching the fued on TV and was appalled at Ric Flair(I was really young then). For him to do that to a man and his wife was beyond disgraceful. You could feel Savage wanting to rip Flair to shreds. Then the match they had was nothing short of epic. I still pull this one out of the collection from time to time and watch it. Great Match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back