Lucha Underground Nominated for Emmy

@smarkmouth

Friendly Neighborhood
You can check out the ballot for the 2015 Emmys here;
http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/Program-2015Ballot.pdf

Lucha Underground has earned a nod for 'Outstanding Structured Reality Program' against some trully awful competition. Nonetheless, a very cool nod to LU, and to wrestling in general. Am I wrong in thinking this is the first time a wrestling program has received an Emmy nomination?

Interesting side note; The Rock's Wake Up Call is also nominated in this category, and both Rock and Stone Cold are nominated for Best Reality Host.

I personally really enjoy Lucha Underground. Just got done watching the Iron Man match between Puma and Mundo actually. Glad they got the nod, and maybe they will score a win.

Vince McMahon will have a heart attack if he hears about this. He's been trying for years to get some kind of big recongnition beyond the wrestling world and all they can get is some stupid Social Media Award while this little upstart gets nominated for an Emmy Award.

And yes this is the first time a wrestling program has received an Emmy nomination.

In all fairness, I jumped the gun on my post. Their spot on the ballot implies eligibility for nomination and not a nomination itself.

Still, fingers crossed!

Vince McMahon will have a heart attack if he hears about this. He's been trying for years to get some kind of big recongnition beyond the wrestling world and all they can get is some stupid Social Media Award while this little upstart gets nominated for an Emmy Award.

And yes this is the first time a wrestling program has received an Emmy nomination.

I'm sure Vince is aware but doesn't see it as an issue. Major difference between the E and LU products. The E is a promotion specializing in sports entertainment (pro wrestling). LU is a television program using pro wrestling as a driving device. As stated by LU management the current goal is to resemble a livr action comic book or Game of Thrones rather than a wrestling promotion.

I'm sure Vince is aware but doesn't see it as an issue. Major difference between the E and LU products. The E is a promotion specializing in sports entertainment (pro wrestling). LU is a television program using pro wrestling as a driving device. As stated by LU management the current goal is to resemble a livr action comic book or Game of Thrones rather than a wrestling promotion.

They'll move the goal posts whenever they need to: don't be sucked in by their marketing. Vince would LOVE an Emmy. They milk any bit of mainstream respect / recognition they get, and always will.

Along the same lines as "We're not sports, we are entertainment". And then they brag how they have the number one best selling "SPORTS" DVD on Amazon. They'll never reveal their "Entertainment" rankings, as frankly they were low compared to "proper" TV shows and films.

How many times have you heard the tired "longest weekly eposodic show" crap? More creative effort and juices goes into a single episode of House of Cards than a years worth of throwing Cesaro and Tyson out there to have a "means nothing" match.

WWE whilst successful, is painfully insecure.

I'm sure Vince is very aware of how his shows compare to others and if they were up for a big media award. Vince would kill for an Emmy as it would validate him as an entertainment mogul rather than a wrestling promoter.

As I already said.....

I almost feel sorry for Kevin Dunn!!

He's wanted to be seen as part of the legitimate TV/Entertainment world for years, and would love WWE to be seen in the same light as Game Of Thrones, Breaking Bad or any other to drama.

Must have been kicking himself!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back