Looking Back: Royal Rumble 94

The Brain

King Of The Ring
This is my third thread reviewing an old ppv. My WrestleMania VII thread got more than twice as many replies as my SummerSlam 88 thread. Sure it was only seven replies compared to three, but more than twice as many sounds good to me. I've done a SummerSlam and a WrestleMania so far. This week it's time to rumble. Let's take a look back at Royal Rumble 94.

Let's start right at the beginning; before the first match. Vince is standing alone at the announce table when we hear some familiar music. The Million Dollar Man comes out to join Vince for commentary. We hadn't seen Dibiase since SummerSlam 93 and I was hoping this was a one time announce project before his in ring return. Sadly this was not the case. Without the internet back then, I didn't know Dibiase suffered a career ending injury months earlier. Either way it was great to have Ted back. On to the action.

Tatanka vs. Bam Bam Bigelow opens the show. This was originally supposed to be Tatanka vs. Ludvig Borga. I'm probably the only one on these forums, but I was a big Borga fan. I thought he had a good look and seemed like a legit badass. He got a pretty good rub by ending Tatanka's two year undefeated streak. I was disappointed to learn Borga was injured and unable to compete. I was even more disappointed when I realized he wouldn't return. I haven't seen him since 1993. Bigelow was a decent sub since he had some history feuding with Tatanka in 93. The match itself was nothing special, but a decent opener.

Next up we have the tag title match. Some may find it strange that I was a Borga fan. You may also find it strange that I was a big fan of the Quebecers too. I thought they worked great together and were a very underrated team. The Quebecers would be defending the titles tonight against Bret and Owen Hart. Bret and Owen had a little falling out at the Survivor Series, but since then Owen had apologized. I think any fan over the age of ten could see what was about to happen here. After the Quebecers won, in a good match, Owen was furious at Bret and turned on his brother. This would officially kick off what would be the feud of the year in 1994 and be the turning point in Owen Hart's career. The fact that you saw the double cross coming a mile away didn't hurt the angle any. In fact it may have helped. I'm sure a lot of people were watching that just waiting for the Owen doublecross. It's actually nice to be able to see a doublecross coming weeks ahead of time. This happened to Hogan several times over the years. He had major feuds with Orndorff, Andre, Savage, and Sid resulting in a doublecross. Each time we saw it coming, but it was still a big moment.

Now we move on to the IC title match. Razor Ramon is defending against IRS. Razor had been feuding with IRS for a while and this was going to end the feud. More importantly, this was going to advance the Razor/Michaels feud heading into WrestleMania X. Razor won after the ref reversed his initial decision when he learned Michales had interfered. Why is it a second ref only comes down once in a while the tell the original ref about outside interference? Shouldn't they do this all the time? I guess we're just not supposed to wonder about things like that. So after this match we all knew we were going to get Razor vs. Michaels at Mania. Little did we know they would deliver an all time classic.

Now the World Title. Yokozuna defends against the Undertaker in a casket match. This match was very intriguing. Yoko had become the longest reigning heel champion in 14 years. Now we had the massive Yokozuna vs. the Phenom. How would this play out? Yoko was actually very good in the ring for a man his size. This was a good match between these two. The finish is a whole other story. This was probably the most bizzare finish to a match I've ever seen. Taker was about to close the lid on Yoko when Crush interfered. Then came Bam Bam. Then came pretty much all the heels. A total of ten men were working over the Taker to try to get him in the casket. Apparantly Taker had no friends since not one person came down to help him. Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette took the urn from Paul Bearer. They opened it and some weird green smoke came pouring out. I guess this symbolized the strength draining from Undertaker since he wasn't fighting back. Or he was finally worn out from the ten on one attack. Taker was finally locked in the casket and Yoko won the match. As the heels were wheeling the casket back Undertaker appeared on the video wall. Looks like we had a casket cam. Taker gave some weird speech about how he would not rest in peace. Then lightning hit the video wall and Taker, who had been locked in the casket, floated away to the top of the arena. If you've never seen this match, trust me. I'm not making this up. I don't know what to think of this. I was 14 at the time so I thought it was kind of cool. At the same time I thought it was way too unbelievable even for wrestling. I'm curious to see what others think of this.

Now the Royal Rumble match itself. The idea of the rumble winner getting a title shot at mania makes sense, but it also limits the possibilities. Before this stipulation anyone had a chance to win the rumble. Maybe not anyone, but a lot more than after this stipulation. Now you can usually narrow it down to two or three guys. This year it was obvious either Bret Hart or Lex Luger was going to win. That's ok because the rumble is still an entertaining match. There was a story going in about whether or not Luger should be allowed in the Rumble. Luger failed to win the title from Yoko at SummerSlam. A clause in the contract stated that would be his only title shot against Yoko. Cornette argued Luger should not be allowed in the Rumble because if he won he would get another shot at Yoko. Luger argued that Yoko may not be champion by mania anyway. A compromise was reached. Luger was let in, but Fuji got to pick two guys to let in too. He picked Tenryu and Kabuki from Japan. There sole purpose was to eliminate Luger. They were not inteded to win; just to make sure Luger didn't. This is a decent story except there were times when Tenryu and Kabuki were just fighting random people while Luger was in the ring. That didn't make much sense.
There was a little drama with Bret too. Bret was injured during the tag title match earlier in the night. Everyone wondered if he would be able to compete in the rumble. At one point the clock reached zero and no one came out. It was believed to be Bret's spot. He could not compete. A few spots later the clock reached zero and out came the Hitman to a pretty good ovation. When we got to the end it was just Hart and Luger. Both men went over the top at the same time and declared co-winners setting the stage for two title matches at mania. The finish was done pretty well. You really couldn't tell who hit the floor first. Of course there was no camera on the side the fell on to give us a definate answer. What fun would that be?

Another noteable thing about this rumble was the arrival of Diesel. Diesel had been in the WWF for about six months as Shawn Michaels's bodyguard. He was looked at as a Michaels sidekick and not much more. Diesel entered the rumble early and at one point elimated seven straight wrestlers. What's more impressive is the reaction he was getting from the crowd. They were completely behind him. No doubt Vince noticed this and less than three months later Diesel had the IC title. I wonder if this was planned to get Diesel over or if Vince just capitalized on the situation. What do you think?

Overall I thought the Rumble was a solid show. I think one of the main purposes of the Rumble is to get people pumped for mania and I think that goal was accomplished. As I type this I'm starting to realize there may not be many replies because my threads are too damn long. Oh well. I thank you if you took the time to read the whole thing. I'm looking forward to read your opinions.

you know there 3 things i will never for get about RR 94 The double cross from Owen '' I Kicked you leg out of your leg bret and it felt great i think when Own did that like you said it made his career 2nd The Yokozuna Undertaker Casket Match it was a great back and fourth match conciting Yoko's massave frame but have all the heel's come down and help him push the casket and then the green mist coming from the casket now iam 27 now but to this day iam still tryin to figer out how they made the green mis come out of the casket and then seenin Undertaker on the big ass screen i remember part of what he said to it like '' Be not proud the ever lasting light will not be exstinguised and i will not rest in peace '' something like that now for the royal rumble it self i loved that royal it was 2nd ppv ever 1st Wrestle Maina VIII Hoosier Dome Indianapolis, Indiana my home state. but it was the 1st time i think i have seen Howard Finkle so fuckin confused everyone was the finish was contorveral but they could have had Bret and Lex battle again to see would go on to wrestle maina to face Yokozuna but the finish was awsome the whole car from to to bottom was awsome

I remember this Rumble very well. I agree with you on the opening matches, not great, but not bad either. Decent way to open the show. The casket match was good times I think and even though the ending was cheesy, for the time it was great. To see something like that now wouldn't be bad but they've made wrestling into a lot more of a reality show then a gimmick fest. But as I said, for the time it was great I think. It really made me mark out when Undertake came back for the Survivor Series for the rematch.

The Rumble itself was great and I think they did the ending very well. I was definitely excited about the Mania main event and knowing that Bret and Owen would face off at 'Mania would be all the better. Just such good times all the way around.

ah another great choice! This was by far my favorite rumble. I remember trying to record it and it not coming out right because my friend messed it up...i was soooo bummed!! Most of the matches on the undercard were whatever, but the bret/owen vs quebecers match and taker/yoko were both awesome. We did see the turn coming but it was still done so well. Came a point during the match that I actually thought things were good between them and that Owen would not turn, so even though going into the match i saw it coming, it still caught me at the end. Then again, thats just how great bret and owen were at their craft and telling a story in the ring. The yokozuna taker match was awesome for other reasons. What a match and what a bizarre ending. I was 12 at the time so to me it was crazy. I think at that age i was still in denial that it was all "fake" and so i totally bought into it and thought it was crazy. Granted, the whole undertaking floating was overdone and i knew it then too, up until then it was awesome. As for the rumble itself...wow what a rumble. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't shawn and marty fight during this rumble?? IF not someone please tell what rumble that was where marty came in and him and shawn fought with everyone stopping to watch??? Also, i remember thinking that sucked that bret wasn't in it becuase of owen (it was savage who skipped right?) but yea that was crazy when he did come out. Never would have thought he was going to win (he was my fav and who i wanted to win, but had doubts bc of the injury) Only to have the match end with both going over was crazy. I was arguing back and forth with my buddies over who won. Calling them both winners was perfect since that i did not expect and it kept me anxious for raw (or was it primetime then) to see what they were gonna do for wrestlemania.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't shawn and marty fight during this rumble?? IF not someone please tell what rumble that was where marty came in and him and shawn fought with everyone stopping to watch??? Also, i remember thinking that sucked that bret wasn't in it becuase of owen (it was savage who skipped right?)

You're right. Shawn was already in for a while when Marty came in. Marty went straight for Shawn and everyone else did briefly stop to watch them go at it. That was a nice little touch. Also Shawn was the one to finally eliminate Diesel. There were a few guys trying to eliminate Diesel, but it was Shawn who gave him the final shove. A sign of things to come later in the year.

Savage was in this Rumble. He didn't last very long. I think it was Crush who eliminated him furthering their already hot feud going into mania. Bastion Booger was the one who was skipped. He was pretty insignificant so he was a good choice to skip to add to the speculation that Bret wouldn't be able to make it.

One other small note. This was the debut of Bob Holly. I never would have thought he would have lasted 15 years.

Royal Rumble 94 is the first Wrestling PPV i ever watches. I still remember being scared of that last Taker segment:p It`s also the day I became a huge Bret Hart fan. I haven`t seen it again since, I guess I would not like some stuff as much(like Taker surreal thing) but this is good souvenir.

Now the World Title. Yokozuna defends against the Undertaker in a casket match. This match was very intriguing. Yoko had become the longest reigning heel champion in 14 years. Now we had the massive Yokozuna vs. the Phenom. How would this play out? Yoko was actually very good in the ring for a man his size. This was a good match between these two. The finish is a whole other story. This was probably the most bizzare finish to a match I've ever seen. Taker was about to close the lid on Yoko when Crush interfered. Then came Bam Bam. Then came pretty much all the heels. A total of ten men were working over the Taker to try to get him in the casket. Apparantly Taker had no friends since not one person came down to help him. Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette took the urn from Paul Bearer. They opened it and some weird green smoke came pouring out. I guess this symbolized the strength draining from Undertaker since he wasn't fighting back. Or he was finally worn out from the ten on one attack. Taker was finally locked in the casket and Yoko won the match. As the heels were wheeling the casket back Undertaker appeared on the video wall. Looks like we had a casket cam. Taker gave some weird speech about how he would not rest in peace. Then lightning hit the video wall and Taker, who had been locked in the casket, floated away to the top of the arena. If you've never seen this match, trust me. I'm not making this up. I don't know what to think of this. I was 14 at the time so I thought it was kind of cool. At the same time I thought it was way too unbelievable even for wrestling. I'm curious to see what others think of this.

For my money the weirdest/dumbest finish to a match had to be the main event at WrestleMania 8 between Hogan and Sid when Hogan won by disqualification because of all people Papa Shango interfered. Anybody have any insight on that one?

But yeah, overall it was a solid pay per view aside from the odd finish to the casket match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back