KB Attends A Mick Foley Book Signing

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Mick Foley was at the book store I work at tonight, signing and discussing Countdown To Lockdown. He was a bit late but got there at about 7:05 for a scheduled 7pm start time so no big deal.

He came down the escalator in the red flannel shirt, sweat pants and a shirt which looked like it said Twisted Sister but I couldn't make all of it out. In something I couldn't be happier with, Foley was an incredibly nice guy. All of the stories you hear about him being personable and a nice guy seem to be very true.

He said that he would be doing a reading, taking questions and signing which sounded great. There were about 70 people there but I was in the front row so I couldn't tell for sure. This was a rescheduling from the night after his match with Flair and due to his condition he was unable to make the trip that day which given how he looked at BFG is probably a good thing.

Foley started his reading and it sounded rather odd. One of the girls that worked there came up and whispered something to him and he said "Oh you wanted me to read from MY book? Why would you want to hear about that piece of crap?" which got a big laugh.

Before he started he asked if anyone had been to a reading before and someone raised their hand and he said who did you see. They said Jericho which seemed to stun Mick. He said he was going to send out a text and find out. When he was sitting down for the signings he had his phone out and was typing something so maybe he actually did it.

He read three sections from his book: one about the ending of the match at Lockdown, one about his kids and one about his work in Sierra Leone, all of which were rather humorous. This part was kind of odd as it seemed like he was under the impression that we hadn't read the book yet, which you had to buy to get a ticket and a guaranteed signing.

Then he said that he wasn't used to this but as part of his agreement he had to do a little T&A portion so he started taking off the shirt until the girl from earlier whispered to him again, to which he replied "OH Q AND A!" Foley took about 8 questions and was a bit vague on some of his answers but it came off well.

He was asked if the Cell fall hurt and looked a bit annoyed but the kid was like 8. In a funny moment Foley said "I think you mean heck in a Cell." The kid replied in a loud voice "no HELL!" It did hurt and the chair falling through the roof story is true. Apparently he had a bluetooth long before anyone else did but he can't take it out.

Asked if there has ever been a creative idea he didn't want to do but couldn't and he said absolutely. He mentioned there was supposed to be a scene where JB was caught with some chick but he wouldn't say who she was going to be.

Some loser that administrates a wrestling forum asked which of the three personas of his was his favorite to perform as. He said that it was Cactus Jack, but on payday it was Mankind who made far more money than those other two.

A friend of mine asked if he would rather Terry Funk be remembered for his hardcore stuff or his pre-hardcore stuff. Foley didn't really give an answer here but it sounded like he would prefer a hybrid. He did however say he felt Funk was the greatest wrestler of all time, period.

A really young kid asked what it was like to wrestle HHH, which he said was great and he had two of his best matches ever with him, referring to the matches in 2000 which he named specifically.

Someone asked what his favorite match was, which I think was meant as his favorite ever, but Foley took it to mean his favorite he was in which he said was against Orton which was a great match indeed.

Another person asked if he ever considered changing his look and style to which Foley said he liked dressing this way and being in a business where he never had to change his look and could dress like a kid for his adult life.

The last question I can remember was which kind of book do you like to write best: memoir, novel or children's book. he said Novels are fun but when he can write a memoir and say a few important things in it, that's his favorite.

The final part was the signing and even though the tickets specifically say no posed photography, he said he had no problem taking pictures as he could sign and pose at the same time. I was in the second group and got to shake his hand and got a picture with him. I told him i had been a fan of his for over 15 years and he seemed to be generally thankful for it and for the people showing up to meet him.

Overall, an excellent experience and Foley is a great guy to talk to and listen to as he was funny the whole time and answered anything asked of him. There was one very cool moment where a kid in a wheelchair in front of me brought a sock with him and Foley was smiling very wide which you could see was completely legit happiness that someone did that.

Looks like it was an interesting experience. Great to read Mick Foley is such a nice guy.

I may be a little slow on the uptake here, but why would he be stunned by someone having been to one of Jericho's readings?

Man...that's so awesome. I wish I could meet Foley. He's one of my favorites of all time.

Glad to hear that all the tales of him being a really nice guy are true.

Looks like it was an interesting experience. Great to read Mick Foley is such a nice guy.

I may be a little slow on the uptake here, but why would he be stunned by someone having been to one of Jericho's readings?

Most authors don't read. They take questions and talk a bit and sign. Apparently Jericho isn't someone that would read from their books. I would assume that knowing Jericho personally he wouldn't think of him as someone too and it struck him as odd.

That must have been awesome.

It really was.

Man, I've always wanted to just sit down and bullshit with one of those guys. Just to hear the backstage stories and how they really feel about this stuff. Even if I couldn't tell anyone about it, I'd still love to know.

I remember meeting Carlos Colon for the first time. I asked him if those fork shots Abdullah The Butcher gave him hurt and he responded by telling me he no longer eats with forks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back