• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kaval is the winner of WWE NXT Season 2

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
kaval.jpg

Last night, after an early elimination of Alex Riley, Kaval was announced as the winner of the second season of NXT. He was the smallest wrestler in the competition by far but had some of the best in-ring ability. This seemed to rub off well with the pros and the WWE Universe.

Does he deserve this? Are you happy that he won? Are you disappointed? What do you think the future holds for Kaval in the WWE now that he has a contract and a future title shot at an upcoming PPV?

Let's keep all Kaval discussion in here.

MODERATOR NOTE: This is not a discussion thread about the beatdown that occurred on Kaval as NXT went off the air last night. That discussion belongs in the Aftermath thread. In this thread, please only discuss your feelings on Kaval being the winner of NXT and what his future holds, otherwise warnings/infractions will be issued.

How do I feel about this? I feel that the right man won. Kaval was simply better than Riley or McGillicutty. He was a better wrestler than either of them and good enough on the mic to be a bankable star.

So yeah, he deserved it because he was the best one there.

On the one hand he deserves it for being one of the only people who stood out. Others like Percy Watson and Eli Cottonwood stood out, but only because of how awful they were. Michael McGillicutty & Alex Riley were just your standards, interchangeable rookies that WWE sporadically bring up to the main roster.

On the other hand he was pushed poorly throughout the season 2 run and didn't really impress in the few matches he had.

I feel thanks to LayCool that Kaval was able to come out of his shell and show some personality in the latter part of NXT. This is really what NXT is all about in developing a wrestler and improving from what they were. Kaval is a perfect example as he was able to show the improvement on the mic and never diminished in his in-ring abilities. I was happy with this win. I couldn't see anybody else that comes close to Kaval's improvement other than Husky Harris.

Look, I made this topic because it may have happend to some as it happend to me. From week 1-3 I was rooting for kaval knowing him from TNA senshi. But then other people started to grow on me like Mcgulicuty (i can't spell it), Alex Riley and Husky Harris. Now then Mcgilicuty, and Husky where 1 and 2 for me. However, I don't know for whatever reason, the last week A. Riley showed why he deserved to win for me. He was amazing, comparing his promo to the one where the final two talked to each other is insane. He cut an amazing that stuck in my head, compared to 2 very boring promos.

Alex Riley is the complete package and he deserved to win in my opinion.

How about you, who you thought deserved to win?

Riley should have won! Kaval grew on me, but every week i voted for riley. Riley, at least, should be the leader of Nexus 2, as the rookies attacked kaval, but, watson was attacked by riley, so i dont know.
if i knew titus had such a cool move, i would have voted for him.
husky looked really cool.
i thought john morrison attacked kaval, turning him heel, but it was lucky cannon.

I really liked Kaval. And I wanted him to win. Riley just seems like a knockoff of the Miz, but I like him too. I think he will be on the RAW. I couldn't tell if Perfect Jr. was heel or face. So, I think Kaval was the right choice.

Riley was the only one in the group with a discernible (Type-A) personality who actually deserved to win the show. I've watched Low Ki for yeras, trust me, I'm aware of what he's capable of, but being a World Heavyweight Champion anyone would actually care about is not one of them – it's why the height of his career was always the X Division in TNA where he spent the majority of his North American career performing.

It's fine that the WWE is working to condition it's brainwashed herd that "smaller guys" can be credible champions too, but Type-A's will always have a major advantage in the world of pro-wrestling over Type-B's or Type-AB's.

Kaval.

I came into the season not really liking Kaval. I didn't connect with him, and thought he was pretty boring outside of the ring. I was totally behind Riley and Watson. Well, Watson got eliminated :)() and Riley proved that, while his promo delivery was flawless, his promo content was not. He rambled. He needed to learn to get to the point. On top of that, he was the weakest in-ring competitor of the three.

By the end of the season, Kaval had won me over. He had displayed better promo skills than I think anyone gave him credit for, he became very over due to his fast and exciting matches, and he really seemed the logical choice to win, especially with the fan voting. I voted for him. He earned my respect by proving himself and coming out of his shell in the season to win over a nonbeliever.

(By the way, IDR, I seriously don't think Kaval is going to be a World Champion. He's probably going to feud with Bryan over the US title. At least, that's what I'd like to see.)

Kaval.

I came into the season not really liking Kaval. I didn't connect with him, and thought he was pretty boring outside of the ring. I was totally behind Riley and Watson. Well, Watson got eliminated :)() and Riley proved that, while his promo delivery was flawless, his promo content was not. He rambled. He needed to learn to get to the point. On top of that, he was the weakest in-ring competitor of the three.

By the end of the season, Kaval had won me over. He had displayed better promo skills than I think anyone gave him credit for, he became very over due to his fast and exciting matches, and he really seemed the logical choice to win, especially with the fan voting. I voted for him. He earned my respect by proving himself and coming out of his shell in the season to win over a nonbeliever.

Ring-work not nearly as relevant an aspect when you are discussing the potential of a wrestling performer, believe me. It's not irrelevant, but it's not nearly as relevant as it's made out to be. A quick walk down memory lane through the annals of wrestling history will tell you that of all the biggest names to grace the business, of them, few were in-ring tacticians worthy of putting together a five-star match. Hulk Hogan is the greatest name in pro-wrestling history. Always has been, and always will be. Ever watch a Hogan match? Boring as shit when compared to the other matches during the nights in which he performed, and with good reason – he's not a great wrestler, but he was arguably the best mic-worker in his time, and as a result was the most valuable asset to the company.

Of the three remaining choices—Mr. Mediocre, Kaval and Riley—only Riley truly had that traditional Type-A personality indicative of being a superstar in the business, in a classical sense of the term.

Kaval may have won you over with his performance, but that in no way makes him a better wrestling character than Riley.

(By the way, IDR, I seriously don't think Kaval is going to be a World Champion. He's probably going to feud with Bryan over the US title. At least, that's what I'd like to see.)

And brave the wrath of the IWC who'd hammer his decision not to target the biggest possible prize? You're insane! He's an "internet darling" – why would he willingly sacrifice himself to his loyal subjects?! ;)

Of the three remaining choices—Mr. Mediocre, Kaval and Riley—only Riley truly had that traditional Type-A personality indicative of being a superstar in the business, in a classical sense of the term.

Kaval may have won you over with his performance, but that in no way makes him a better wrestling character than Riley.

Riley may have had that personality, but he couldn't properly use it. He was natural and as I said his delivery was flawless, but some of his promos, if you actually listened to his content, were actually pretty mediocre. His only really, really good one was his "Star In Reality" promo, because he learned to get to the point and not ramble, and combine that with his excellent delivery.

Look, I liked Riley. Loved his character and his personality. I thought for sure he'd win. However, he barely improved throughout the whole season, compared to several of the others who improved in leaps and bounds. Kaval displayed much more personality and promo skills than anyone gave him credit for. He earned the victory by actually improving instead of coasting.

Riley will be back, probably sooner than later and hopefully he'll have improved, but he didn't deserve to win.

And brave the wrath of the IWC who'd hammer his decision not to target the biggest possible prize? You're insane! He's an "internet darling" – why would he willingly sacrifice himself to his loyal subjects?! ;)
Because he'll be feuding with the other internet darling over a championship on a show watched by millions of people weekly? :shrug:

Overall, I'm happy that Kaval won and I think he was the overall best out there of NXT Season II. I was intrigued somewhat by him when the season first started, I thought the was quite smooth and crisp inside the ring but the guy seemed to have no personality. Over the course of the past several weeks, however, I think Kaval dispelled a lot of perceptions regarding his personality and promo ability. As cliche` as this is, he really came out of his shell and I think he did give the best promos of the season. His promo last night was heartfelt and felt very legitimate.

Michael McGuillicutty is good inside the ring but he just doesn't have that pizazz about him. There's nothing particularly standoutish about his look and his promos were ok, but nothing to write home about.

Alex Riley impressed me overall throughout with his promo skills. I think he needs to ditch the whole high school jock thing personally, but he showed himself to be pretty good in the ring and great on the mic.

Overall though, I do think Kaval was the overall best this season.

I'm not really surprised. Kaval was made to be one of the focal points from the very beginning, much like Bryan Danielson were. However there were definitely a bit more interest in Kaval. Certainly he was more competitive, and he was just overall one of the better ones in this season.

I guess I'm happy about Kaval winning it, I mean he is pretty good in the ring, and he has some decent microphone skills. So he'll definitely be worth it, and he could make a great mid-card worker, because that's most likely all he'll ever be, a mid-card worker.

And even though I'm glad Kaval won, he's definitely not my main choice. I was still sold on Alex Riley and Joe Hennig, both who at least have everything going for them to become world champions. I'm convinced they'll make their way to the main roster in one way or another though. And eventually they will both live the potential of becoming world champions.

From week 1-3 I was rooting for kaval knowing him from TNA senshi. But then other people started to grow on me like Mcgulicuty (i can't spell it), Alex Riley and Husky Harris.
my first two were at first McGuillicutty and Kaval.
Alex Riley is the complete package and he deserved to win in my opinion.
then it changed to McGuillicutty and Riley.
How about you, who you thought deserved to win?
McGuillicutty because, i think once he changes his name to Hennig, he has a BIG time future. Kaval will be a great midcarder, i just cant see him being better than guys like Daniel Bryan, Hennig or Riley in the future and it shocks me that Vince let a former TNA guy win.

Overall, I'm happy that Kaval won and I think he was the overall best out there of NXT Season II. I was intrigued somewhat by him when the season first started, I thought the was quite smooth and crisp inside the ring but the guy seemed to have no personality. Over the course of the past several weeks, however, I think Kaval dispelled a lot of perceptions regarding his personality and promo ability. As cliche` as this is, he really came out of his shell and I think he did give the best promos of the season. His promo last night was heartfelt and felt very legitimate.

I'd like to add to this point that Jack-Hammer made here.

Kaval not only came out of his shell, but I think he realized that playing a "character" isn't always the best way to go in pro-wrestling. He always wanted to be known as the "World Warrior" and did these strange poses and weird things with his mouth. I think this persona was a bit of a head-scratcher for most viewers. Once the guy used the proven formula of success for WWE characters (their own, real personality with the volume turned up) he began to catch on with everyone and shine. Only then did the audience begin to relate to him as someone other than the small guy with a strange gimmick/character.

It goes to show... sometimes, all these wrestlers need is to boost their own personalities.

At the beginning of this competition I didn't really like Kaval at all. I was rooting for Lucky Cannon, Alex Riley, but Kaval was on my list. But as time went on Lucky Cannon was nothing more then a pretty boy. And on the first night when these rookies faced off I believe it was Kaval vs Alex Riley and Alex Riley impressed me more then Kaval did. I came to the conclusion on that night that Kaval outshined Alex Riley, but when it was all said and done Alex Riley was the one that stuck out to me most. But every week Kaval got better and better both In-Ring and on the microphone and it came up to the point where he did the rap when he won me over. Jack Swagger (not so much anymore) and Sheamus both won me over and I can respect ANYBODY who can change my mind and that is exactly what Kaval did. I am looking forward to seeing what Kaval brings to the table, but in all honesty I hope he goes to SmackDown!

And who I think should have won... I believe that Alex Riley should have won. He has amazing promo skill and his In-Ring Ability can only get better as he gets more time in the ring. Kaval would have been my second choice and Michael McGillicutty was my last choice.

I'd like to add to this point that Jack-Hammer made here.

Kaval not only came out of his shell, but I think he realized that playing a "character" isn't always the best way to go in pro-wrestling. He always wanted to be known as the "World Warrior" and did these strange poses and weird things with his mouth. I think this persona was a bit of a head-scratcher for most viewers. Once the guy used the proven formula of success for WWE characters (their own, real personality with the volume turned up) he began to catch on with everyone and shine. Only then did the audience begin to relate to him as someone other than the small guy with a strange gimmick/character.

It goes to show... sometimes, all these wrestlers need is to boost their own personalities.

And I think that's how he started to get better at promos and connect more. I mean, that rap he did was totally unexpected, but it suited him because that was actually him. He's a kid from New York, and according to X "One of the coolest motherfuckers [he's] ever met.". By playing himself ramped up to 11, he came across as very cool, and very natural. It showed in his promos, in his personality, and really helped him move up and eventually win. Fantastic work, and he showed real evolution. If he can continue to evolve like that I don't see why he can't be a major player in WWE, especially with the youth and small-guy movements going on right now.

Really, I think either one of the three finalists could have or maybe should have won. Any of them would have been fine as the winner. All of them have their flaws, but the thing that set Kaval apart from the other two is that his ring work is far superior to any part of the other competitors work.

I kind of had a feeling he would win. If the fan voting actually means anything, his chances were great being that he was the most over rookie. And even if the votes play no role in the victor, I think they would give him the win because he needed it the most out of the final three. Riley and McGillicutty will most likely make it anyway. Riley has the charisma to make it and McGillicutty has the heritage to make it. Now Kaval has a title shot that will automatically get him involved.

I had no issue at all with Kaval winning. I think (like others have mentioned) that he has grown more comfortable with his persona (and I don't think LayCool can be credited enough for that) and his in-ring ability was as good, if not better, than anyone elses.

I agree with the Doctor though that he should feud with Bryan over the US Belt (assuming, like we all do, that he will take it from The Miz at NOC). It actually set's up pretty well as a feud. They are both "internet darlings" (as Cole refers to them) and both have an extended prior career internationally and in the indies and Kaval could go after Bryan, trying to prove once and for all who the best really is.

Would be some fantastic matches too is they stretched it out a bit.

Now that he has won it all I think win or lose the shot he needs to be in there with some one believable. IMO this makes Smackdown a much better option On Raw I cant see him even being competitive with HHH, Sheamus, Orton or Cena
Now Smackdown has its monsters too like Kane, Taker and Show but also has some wrestler type guys he could fight like Punk, Swagger and Rey.

My pick is Rey. This was actually a feud that most talked about for how Kaval would debut and I can see a great match. I also think Punk could pull off a good match as well

Who do you think he should fight

I was thinking about this last night while watching and I think I have the perfect solution.

Have Daniel Bryan (ugh I hate that name) take the US Title off of The Miz with the help of Kaval so The Miz doesn't look weak AND free's him up for his MITB future.

Then on Raw have Kaval confront Bryan about how he helped him win the title now he wants to face him for it at a PPV with hsi NXT2 title contract.

Then the internet will explode.

I have to agree,
Kaval should face someone like Rey or Punk, this would be a great feud.

As far as Champions go (This might be off topic)
I dont think The World Heavyweight Title is fitting with him, hes way too light for that. It wont be believable.

Second, He will NOT be World Champion...
He could be Intercontinental Champion at some point, but as of now...

I think he should go to SmackDown! of course because thats where I see him fitting in...fighting with Cody Rhodes, Christian, Rey, Punk, Swagger, Kofi, McIntyre...i could see some good matches.

on RAW, hell get lost in the shuffle with big main event guys like Cena, Orton, HHH, Sheamus, and Edge.
He wont have any in-ring at all, maybe a little quick match to fill up the RAW Card.
But then he'll probably end up being used on Superstars.

So Smackdown! it is.

Well, the thing is that Kaval can face any champ of his choice and there's no guarantee that he's going after a world title from the start. Personally, I'd prefer Kaval to go to Smackdown and face someone for the IC title. As to who he should face for the title, I think that Smackdown has a number of good choices for an IC title feud with Kaval including Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Christian, Drew McIntyre, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston or even Cody Rhodes.

I think it'd ultimately make a mid-card title look good if Kaval, who can wrestle for any title he wants, goes after one of those. The WWE and World titles are hyped and promoted enough as it is and I don't particularly buy Kaval in that scene, at least not right now.

I think Kaval should help Danielson to win the US title at NOC and then challenge him to a title match at Hell In A Cell. They would have the match of the night. Or alternatively he could team with Danielson and challenge for the Tag Team titles. Then Danielson could become a double champion, which would mean Michael Cole and The Miz couldn't say he hasn't done anything. The Hart Dynasty should drop the titles to The Usos or Hawkins/Ryder so that "Team Indie" come across as faces and gain crowd support. Kaval could be a future world champion as he is a better wrestler than most of the roster. In real life I can believe that he could beat up Triple H with his legit kicks. He could be the next Rey Mysterio.

In real life I can believe that he could beat up Triple H with his legit kicks. He could be the next Rey Mysterio.

I like Kaval's wrestling style and he developed his character well with LayCool. But I hope they don't ever put the world title on him. Giving it to Mysterio twice was bad enough. He's just too small. He is perfect for the midcard title. I don't see why every really good wrestler needs to be a world title contender, no matter how small. As for beating up Triple H in real life, that's just ridiculous. Skillful kicks aren't enough to make up for Triple H's sheer size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back