Just Bring It! vs You Want Some, Come Get Some.

Who will be in 20 years, the WWE "Icon"

• The Rock

• John "Super" Cena

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hazardous

parental discretion advised
for the past couple years now, there has been many people making comparisons between "The People's Champ" The Rock, and "Superman" John Cena.

So before everyone goes off on it, im going to ask one thing.
IF YOU DONT AGREE WITH SOMEONE'S OPINION, THATS FINE.
but you dont need to insult or put anyone down for their view. if you read the rules for the site when you joined, you would see that thats not what this site is for. it's for expressing your opinion. so keep it nice, or "Get the F out" (still got one of those shirts..)

now that being said.. IMO i dont believe that Cena at this point, is on the Rocks level. not Promo wise, nor match quality.

Rock: some of the most classic Promo's in WWF/E history came against the likes of Austin, Angle, Heyman, Coach, DX.. the list is endless. As a heel, no one at the time could draw a reaction from the crowd the way he could. insult the city they were in, the people in that city anything.. As a face? one word. "FINALLY" and you got every person in the building on their feet.

Cena: Started off on his way to being the face of the company in GREAT time, had almost full support of the fans... until with the PG format, many claim his character became watered down, and robot like.
im not going to complain about his move set, that can be said about a lot of WWE stars. im talking character wise here.

some of ther things im talking about for how they are alike.. almost as if Vinny Mac was trying to breed Hogan and Rock to make Cena.
you have the rock saying "The Peoples Champ" and then you have cena with "The champ is here" yeah, a little the same, not really. "Just Bring it!" vs "you want some? Come get some!" a little closer.. "The Peoples Elbow" and "5 Knuckle Shuffle" that one is pretty bad.

but now i would like to hear some other people view on it, but again, try not to piss too many people off, be it the Cena lovers, OR the Anti-Cenation

If you're trying to create another Rock-Cena comparison thread, let me just say that The Rock is hands-down better than Cena. Both guys may be similar in a lot of areas in their careers, but you just can't compare Cena to The Rock's greatness. The Rock sold more merchandise, more tickets, has more charisma, a universal fanbase, made better movies, the heritage, influence, etc...while Cena is far behind him. Hell, even the Smackdown show wouldn't be around if it wasn't for The Rock. Let's see Cena get that far...

I seriously don't get how they are alike. Maybe the one move set that you mentioned. "Just Bring it!" and "You want some? Come get some!"

The Rock was always one to cut amazing promos. He proved his point in a funny way. I liked The Rocks promos a lot.

John Cena on the other hand, not so much. I feel that after something happens to him, all he talks about is that he is a strong person...blah blah blah! Most people call it the "Typical Cena Promo".

Match quality wise...hmm. Cena can have some good matches. But The Rock has more memorable ones. Like Austin vs Rock for example.

I'm not much of a Cena fan, but there is one match that is memorable for me and that was his match against HBK. (Probably because I am a huge fan of HBK.)

I also do not think the John Cena is at The Rocks level yet.

He was able to put over so many people, and didn't even have to be in a match to do it. i hardly knew who the hell Michael Cole was really, until all the promo's done about him. or Lillian, the camera man, the boom operator, it didn't matter who it was, everyone got a part, even if it was at the expense of a joke or 2. it made the whole thing just that much more believable, that you could see it WASN'T real life, and WAS just entertainment, which made the whole experience easier to relate to for the people. that is for me what's lacking in John. cant relate to the character in any way. outside of the 'E he is outstanding! the un-dying love and support of the troops, and the make a wish foundation. but this is more about everything INSIDE the arena. when they are in character.

The reason i said Cenas catchphrase is becasue the rock ws only in the company for like 8 years..thats it cenas been in the company for 8 years but still on the rise. i feel like cena wouldnt leave the company like rock did and honsestly im probably the only one that thinks the rock should stay gone.i do not miss him one bit beacuse if he cared about his millions....and millions (couldnt resist) of his fans he would have stuck around and not go to hollywood.WWE isnt suppose to be about stepping stones.this should be your one true passion and if its not you shouldnt go to the WWE. the rock got a taste of hollywood and left..cenas done movies and still stayed around. i never consider the rock as big as SCSA ever will be nor is he as popular as people make him out to be.he was just really over and cut good promos. Hell be in the HOF no doubt but i think in twenty years itll be Cena thats remembered and not the rock..

honestly the Rock hands down, but I feel it should be notied that the "want some come get some" actually belongs to the stieners, I belive Ric Stiener mostly, "want some come get some, dont like me bite me".

Back onto the thread the rock is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone currently in the wwe except for his two former rivals HHH and the undertaker. The Rock was gold in the ring and on the mic, alot of guys today are either just good in the ring like shelton benjamin was, or just good on the mic like cena is supposedly, (I dont think so but my opinion) Besides Austin (in his wwe prime) HHH Undertaker and HBK there arnt many who are great in and out of the ring on thier level. Now there are guys showing potential like the miz, but nowhere near there level yet.

But there catchphrases do represent what there characters really are.

"Just bring it" the rock original, in your face and ready to go the distance.

"want some come get some" cena ripping off mic segments for the longest time now, unoriginal, never really looking for a fight just sorta sitting back and hopeing a big name is told to go after him.

The WWE's Icon in 20 years probably isn't employed currently.

WWE's "faces of the company" go by eras.

Hogan was the the face of the old days, followed by Austin in the attitude era, and now it will be Cena in the PG era. Sadly for the Rock he wont be considered the face of an era. So in 20 years when both guys are gone I think Cena will be the bigger star, although the Rock is a million times better.

A lot of people saying Cena is not on Rock's level "yet." Cena has been around longer than the Rock was...as a mainstay anyway. So, the YET word should not allowed to be used with Cena. If it takes Cena 20 years to accomplish what the Rock did in 6, how is that even remotely a comparison??

As to the question who is better? Well, considering there isn't a single aspect that I can think of in which Cena is better than the Rock, the answer is pretty simple.

Rock was better in the ring. Rock is a MUCH better actor. As far as promos go - don't even mention Cena's name in the same sentence as the Rock because frankly, Cena is one of the worst promos in wrestling right now.

Charisma, athleticism, etc etc etc all are in favor of the Rock.

And on top of all of that, the Rock gets cheered by people who are 1 - male and 2 - over the age of 7.

oh by far the most electrifying man in entertainment. The Rock. not only was he 100x above cena athletically, but promo wise? Pure gold. i do see the Cena voter's point though, saying the Rock wasn't there long enough, but look at the impact he made in the time he Was there? the video game series? all named after his catchphrase, with th first 2 having him on the cover, "Smackdown!" it's self, named after the rock's phrase again, which is why he always said "The Rocks Show!" PPV's named after him (In Your House: Rock Bottom) okay, so only one.. but still. the movies are even better than Cena's, but that's outside of wrestling. so still going with the Rock.

I like that this ISN'T a Rock vs. Cena comparison threat. The question specifically states "who is going to be the icon IN 20 YEARS". It's a valid question, because like him or not, John Cena is the new face of professional wrestling. Every generation or so there's a new guy who takes the reigns, and Cena is that guy right now.

Some generations last longer than others, and some times two guys can share the spotlight (I know, an unbelievable concept in pro wrestling). Hulkamania lasted forever, and some claim it's still alive...or at least it was until Dixie Carter put the old dog down with her ability to kill even the greatest of opportunities. The Rock and Steve Austin shared a generation, but didn't last nearly as long. Still, their contributions and status in the industry will be remembered for at least as long as Hulk Hogan's. For a little while, after retiring of Austin and the Hollywood farewell of the Great One, there was some debate over who would take the reigns. Triple H definitely held the face of the company for some time on Raw, and Kurt Angle could possibly say that he kept Smackdown going. But John Cena is definitely the guy who came out of nowhere to become the face of professional wrestling in this generation. Now, in 20 years, you really never know what to expect. History has proven that Cena won't be the face, but he'll probably still be around. If they can find just one thing to stick with the fans, that special "Hulkamania" ingredient, they could immortalize the Champ.

But in 20 years, I think Hulkamania will be a legendary reminder of the old days. Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair will be the guys that everybody knows by name, but has never seen a match of. They'll be the Don Morocco, Buddy Rogers, and Jay Strongbows. They'll be those legends that you know about, but have never really seen or come into contact with. But Rock, Austin, Cena, Triple H, Shawn Michaels...in 20 years they'll be the Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair's of our generation. HBK and HHH will be out of the business, retired with an induction into the Hall of Fame. Rock will have also made it into the Hall, and will probably fade into Ric Flair-like status. Except that unlike Flair, I really don't think Rock is going to come back to relive the glory days. But John Cena will be the Hulk Hogan that keeps coming back every few years to bring in ratings and make the fans pop. It's probably a controversial statement, but I think 20 years Rock will be the Hall of Famer, and Cena will be the living legend. I think Cena will be a bigger name at that point, but it's hard to say if either one will truly be the "icon" of professional wrestling that far into the future.

I also think comparing Rock and Cena to Flair and Hogan (respectively) is an interesting way to look at things. Flair is better than Hogan, and everybody knows it, but Hulkamania is just something legendary in itself. Flair has the bigger history and knowledge of the business, but Hogan is the guy in charge. Rock is better than Cena, and there's few that will disagree. But Cena will probably pass up Rock (if he hasn't already) in his ability to sell himself. Hogan may be the bigger name, but I would personally rather be Ric Flair. And the same goes for Cena and Rock.

there is really no comparison, the rock was dynamic and interesting, also far more athletic. not to mention he was 1000% more entertaining than plain old vanilla john cena. john cena may be remembered, but i think he will be most remembered for the divide he caused even as a face, and the rise of the iwc possibly having an effect on wrestling that he was the catalyst for.

the rock is beloved, john cena is 50/50. still though i think the biggest icon in 20 years will be stone cold, he is the most beloved wrestler in history i think. that guy was a cultural phenomenon. and i think in 20 years people will still be yelling what?!? at every pause.

I think Cena will be. Not cause I'm voting for him, but because he has the huge YOUNG fan base which will be older fans and remember him as the man way back when. This has nothing to do with whos better than who. Who sold more merch, or who had better catch phrases. It's who is creating the largest wrestling fan base right now. That's Cena.
Or maybe what vanderhevel said....Austin is still the fucking man

People need to stop comparing Rock and Cena. They are two different characters and nothing alike. With that said, Rock wins in my book. Cena is a good worker and despite how much the internet hates him I respect him. I feel like his character is bland as well as many do but you guys hate him too much. Cena's good for what he is, I'd love a heel turn. Rock is just in a league of his own on the microphone and his in ring work in far better then Cena's.

OK. Im guna go along w/ every1 and say that though they r similiar, The Rock is at a whole nother level. The Rock's matches were soooo much more memberable than Cena's. Though im a HUGE cena fan.. The Rock cut way better promo's BY FAR..... he was a better wrestler..... he could play a heel and a face veryy well... but wen it came to making movies cena was Way better. Wen he made movies like the marine, rock was making the tooth fairy:lmao:

But I think That The Rock is a better all around preformer... AT THE TIME. Now maybe in 10 years Cena will have accomplished enuf n made a big enuf impact dat he could be better than Rock.

well thats not fair.. you cant compare "The Marine" to "The tooth-fairy" how about the Rundown? Walking tall? Doom? hell, even was able to pull of a gay guy in Be Cool, as well as an EPIC role in the movie "Southland Tales" Box office wise, the rock has had a better career. the movie "12 Rounds" was a flop, i liked it personally, but it was a flop.

actually on a funny note, i looked it up
"The Marine" Revenue:$22,165,608
"The Tooth Fairy" Revenue: $101,670,897

out done by the great one again. haha, the only reason i included that is because it was all the kids that support Cena week in and out that made the Rocks movie a bigger hit than his. which is NOT cena's fault.. better say that before i get stabbed in the neck or something.. it was due to the fact that the Rock made a PG movie, while Cena made a PG-13 movie (aint that some backwards shit??)

but anyway, this Poll is more WWE wise. and yes, to the Austin fan's im sorry i didnt include him in this one, but the Rock/Cena thing had been getting thrown around a lot for a while now, just like the Orton/Austin one. but i was watching the HOF from a few years back, when Rock inducted his father and grandfather, and he said that line that's in my Sig about Cena, and just the look on Cena's face after it, he know he got owned there.

Both are truly important members of the roster in their chosen generations, both had above average promo skills for their time and both sold merch like crazy.

But lets face the fact, Cena is the face of the company during a period where the viewership of RAW is about half of what it was when The Rock was in his prime.

Cena is great but the Rock was better and at a better time.

Just My Opinion

if you talk about their careers outside of wrestlling, it is absolutely no comparison, the rock is versatile, john cena is awful at playing any character other than his current hulk character. the rock is capable of making rated r or rated g movies with ease and is equally entertaining.

Mike "The Kid" Killam;2207695 said:
I like that this ISN'T a Rock vs. Cena comparison threat. The question specifically states "who is going to be the icon IN 20 YEARS". It's a valid question, because like him or not, John Cena is the new face of professional wrestling. Every generation or so there's a new guy who takes the reigns, and Cena is that guy right now.

Some generations last longer than others, and some times two guys can share the spotlight (I know, an unbelievable concept in pro wrestling). Hulkamania lasted forever, and some claim it's still alive...or at least it was until Dixie Carter put the old dog down with her ability to kill even the greatest of opportunities. The Rock and Steve Austin shared a generation, but didn't last nearly as long. Still, their contributions and status in the industry will be remembered for at least as long as Hulk Hogan's. For a little while, after retiring of Austin and the Hollywood farewell of the Great One, there was some debate over who would take the reigns. Triple H definitely held the face of the company for some time on Raw, and Kurt Angle could possibly say that he kept Smackdown going. But John Cena is definitely the guy who came out of nowhere to become the face of professional wrestling in this generation. Now, in 20 years, you really never know what to expect. History has proven that Cena won't be the face, but he'll probably still be around. If they can find just one thing to stick with the fans, that special "Hulkamania" ingredient, they could immortalize the Champ.

But in 20 years, I think Hulkamania will be a legendary reminder of the old days. Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair will be the guys that everybody knows by name, but has never seen a match of. They'll be the Don Morocco, Buddy Rogers, and Jay Strongbows. They'll be those legends that you know about, but have never really seen or come into contact with. But Rock, Austin, Cena, Triple H, Shawn Michaels...in 20 years they'll be the Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair's of our generation. HBK and HHH will be out of the business, retired with an induction into the Hall of Fame. Rock will have also made it into the Hall, and will probably fade into Ric Flair-like status. Except that unlike Flair, I really don't think Rock is going to come back to relive the glory days. But John Cena will be the Hulk Hogan that keeps coming back every few years to bring in ratings and make the fans pop. It's probably a controversial statement, but I think 20 years Rock will be the Hall of Famer, and Cena will be the living legend. I think Cena will be a bigger name at that point, but it's hard to say if either one will truly be the "icon" of professional wrestling that far into the future.

I also think comparing Rock and Cena to Flair and Hogan (respectively) is an interesting way to look at things. Flair is better than Hogan, and everybody knows it, but Hulkamania is just something legendary in itself. Flair has the bigger history and knowledge of the business, but Hogan is the guy in charge. Rock is better than Cena, and there's few that will disagree. But Cena will probably pass up Rock (if he hasn't already) in his ability to sell himself. Hogan may be the bigger name, but I would personally rather be Ric Flair. And the same goes for Cena and Rock.

I really wish I could say something better than this. I agree with you completely. The Rock, despite being better than Cena was never the 'stand-alone' face of WWE. He always shared the burden, either with Austin or HHH.

The Rock was one of the top guys during the best period in wrestling history, but not THE top guy. He will always be remembered, but will be remembered WITH Austin. Cena will always be remembered as being thoe ONLY person on top of WWE these days. Wrestling isn't as strong or as popular as it was, but that won't matter in 20 years time.

Simple fact is that history only remembers the very best at any given time. The Rock wasn't THE best during his time, Cena is.

cena gets a bonus because wrestling is terrible while he is on top. good for him. he's one of the reasons that wrestling has become so stale and boring. he'll be remembered fondly by the little dummies that love him now, but he will always have a segment that can't stand him. unlike the rock who is practically the most beloved wrestler barring austin. picture if the rock was a wrestler today, he would be the top in the company far and away. now put cena back in the attitude era, hes a mid carder at best.

I really wish I could say something better than this. I agree with you completely. The Rock, despite being better than Cena was never the 'stand-alone' face of WWE. He always shared the burden, either with Austin or HHH.

The Rock was one of the top guys during the best period in wrestling history, but not THE top guy. He will always be remembered, but will be remembered WITH Austin. Cena will always be remembered as being thoe ONLY person on top of WWE these days. Wrestling isn't as strong or as popular as it was, but that won't matter in 20 years time.

Simple fact is that history only remembers the very best at any given time. The Rock wasn't THE best during his time, Cena is.

while i do see what you are saying there, you forgot that Cena is the top RAW guy. have you watched smackdown in the last year at all? the 2 guys that not only get the biggest pop's from the crowd (rivaling that of cena even) are Rey Mysterio, and The Undertaker. yes while Undertaker makes only special appearances, Rey has been carrying Smackdown for just as long as Cena has Raw. and you can see that by the amount of shirts/Signs/Masks in the crowd. so i dont think Cena carry's the company on his own.

That being said, im agreeing with the majority here, Rocky gets my vote, only because i have grown up with both of these guys on my TV every week, but i use to see the Rock more than once a week, and never once got tired of him. as much as i respect John cena, i have grown a little tired of him laitly.. sorry cenation. i actually did a speech on the Rock in high school, not so much on the character, but on Dwane Johnson himself, with of course "The Rock" moments in it, but thats how much the Rock actually appealed to me as a Wrestling Fan.

Definitely "JUST BRING IT!" cause "YOU WANT SOME COME GET SOME!" is just a shorter version of Rick Steiner's "YOU WANT SOME, COME GET SOME. YOU DON'T LIKE ME? BITE ME!"

Cena should stick w/ " U CAN'T C ME!" :banghead:

Quick addition...The CeNation is lame. Why did they change it from the Chain Gang. That was much cooler.

Imay have misunderstood this thread slightly. I thought it was about their respective catchphrases. Apparently it's about how they'll be perceived by future generations. Who will be the icon? Answer... Rock already is an Icon. Remember WM X-8? Hogan vs Rock? Icon vs. Icon? Yeah, end of discussion.

Looking at the results the majority of the people voted Rock. While I do believe he is by far way better than Cena in every way, the question asks who will be the icon in 20 years? The answer to that will be Cena unfortunately, just as Hogan and Austin were for their respective eras.

any semblance of the old john cena is gone, no more word life, no more chain gang and to my dismay, no more pumping his shoes up and jumping on people. guy used to actually have some charisma back then. now he is a card board cut out of himself.

I am not going to bash Cena but in all honestly mostly everyone that replies to this thread are going to say the same thing. Cena is not and IMO will never be on the rock's level.

BUT this is not at all Cena's fault, Cena's character is not Cena's idea it is Vince McMahon's. Vince wants to make a kid friendly face of the company and that is exactly what he has made john cena. Now us adults of course would prefer a more edgy adult friendly face which is why we still like the rock so much more. and IMO this will never change

In 20 yrs? It's unfair. Rocky isn't wrestling anymore, so how are the fans going to remember him after 20 yrs? At least most of them would have forgotten him. So keeping big rock on my chest i am gonna say, Johnny Cena. Not because he is better than rocky in charisma or wrestling abilities or in ring performance, but simply because more number of fans will remember him than rocky. So keeping in mind that majority wins, it's cena. But for us old wrestling junkies, it'll always be the people's champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back