JR to TNA?

Vintage Nick

Climbin' in your windows...
As reported on the main page of the website, TNA has reportedly held a meeting with Jim Ross and want to have him signed so that they can "shake things up" with WWE.

Now I feel that TNA is desperately grasping here, because I am more than sure that Ross is a WWE Loyalist through and through. Now before you ask me, "But Nicholas, he went to the meeting with TNA anyways!", it could be for a number of things. Perhaps he just wanted to see what they offered, went to the meeting instead of being rude and passing it up, etc.

I do think that WWE, upon hearing this news, will try everything to make sure JR stays, but I think (since his commenting days seem to be over after his Bell's Palsy attack) he should be given a backstage role. Maybe management, or even a spot on Creative?

What are your opinions on this?

Well, it's WWE's choice not to use him on commentary anymore. J.R said himself that it was not up to him, he felt he could still commentate, but maybe not on a weekly basis for the long term.

On the one hand I want J.R to stay in WWE because I feel it is the only company "big time" enough for someone of his standard. But I hate seeing his commentary skills going to waste with WWE not using him at all, so maybe TNA would be a better choice for him

Hey, JR has been screwed over so many times by WWE that I wouldn't blame him for jumping ship to TNA. While I do agree TNA isn't at the level of WWE, he may get a little more respect there. I'm still dumbfounded that WWE won't use him. It's absolutely insane that they aren't!

It is a bit odd that he tweeted that he liked Tazz's commentary and not Mike's, or that's what I got from that horrible Tweet-speak. It would be a big boon to TNA to get JR in any way as it looks like Heyman may come over(maybe that's why we have a new champ?). The only negative I could see is the WWE/anti-TNA fanboys saying that JR was never a good commentator who couldn't handle Cole's awesome work.

He could take up Talent Relation like he did in the 90's in WWE.
But I feel he could contribute to creative a lot more...

It is a bit odd that he tweeted that he liked Tazz's commentary and not Mike's, or that's what I got from that horrible Tweet-speak. It would be a big boon to TNA to get JR in any way as it looks like Heyman may come over(maybe that's why we have a new champ?). The only negative I could see is the WWE/anti-TNA fanboys saying that JR was never a good commentator who couldn't handle Cole's awesome work.

Honestly, I don't think that would ever happen. Not because people wouldn't think to say it, but because anyone smart enough to put those words in that order must be smart enough to realize that saying them will invalidate any arguement they ever make about anything wrestling related. Even if the later point has merit. Case in point:

Person A: "I feel that C.M. Punk should have mentioned how he bailed Chris Jericho and the Hurricane out of jail, when they got into that drunken brawl. It would have brought more into the character, and allowed him to speak down to everyone, instead of just the faces and the fans."

Person B: "This, from someone who thinks that Michael Cole is better than Jim Ross? Shut up. Adults are talking."

Granted, it's a strawman arguement, but when properly timed, strawman arguements can't be defended against very well.

With all due respect to good ole JR, if he wants to jump ship and flush his legacy in the WWE, that's certainly his perogative. His best announcing days are well behind him and I don't see him announcing on any type of a regular basis in the WWE any time soon. While he was the best in his day, his day has passed. Between age, health, and other issues, he shouldn't be a regular announcer in the WWE at this stage of his career. I'm surprised TNA would want him in this capacity at this stage anyway, it's not like they'd ever hire a washed up, older former WWE great, would they? I can't imagine them showing any interest in someone who was great in the WWE but has been rejected or passed over by them (note sarcasm).

JR should stay put in the WWE and take a behind the scenes, off camera role, and a significant one as he has certainly earned it. But it's time for the new blood to take over the announcing in the WWE and stay there, even if that means it's Cole, Grisham, Striker, or whomever. There's no need for JR to jump ship and ultimately sink with it.

JR to TNA won't happen. This is simply TNA doing its due diligence, to see if there is any interest on JR's part (doubtful). His Bells Palsy isn't going to go away regardless of which company pays him, and if he can't be effective on the mic, that leaves backstage. The WWE is going to resign him to some kind of talent development deal like he had previously, or JR will call it a career, and go to his restaurants full time. There simply isn't anything TNA can offer him that would be meaningful to him. But, TNA had to at least talk to him,just to see. They would have dumb not to.

JR to TNA is much more beneficial to TNA than it is to JR. He's better than any play-by-play announcer WWE keeps forcing on its public, and certainly TNA would welcome anything that has a WWE emblem on it. Even TNA treats ex-WWE stuff as being treasures. Unfortunately, unless TNA can consistently become a product people actually believe is any good, having JR is as big a waste of his talent as WWE not using him at all.

As much as I would LOVE J.R. commentating for TNA, where he would really be valuable is behind the scenes in talent relations. The question is whether TNA would be willing to give him that level of control. I think they would be fools not to.

JR to TNA? i hope not!!!! he is by far the best announcer in WWE closly followed by Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole. however, his health is an issue and his screen time has been reduced to nothing at the moment. I feel that he should be given a backstage role and that it be an executive role as he has deserved it. what about a permanent GM role on RAW as he made the Raw brand stand out from smackdown on so many levels. He is also a wrestling fan and he would make matches that the fans would love to see. What would TNA do with him? It would be a bad move if he goes there. It would help TNA but it would be harmful to good ole Jim Ross's credability. It would seem as if he admitted defeat to Michael Cole and just rolled over. Ive nothing against Michael cole, but he is not Jim ross. He belongs on WWE and if he is not behind the mike, he should be GM at the very least and WWE will go on increasing its ratings

I could certainly back this idea.

Personally, I feel as though something is missing with the WWE, in regards to commentating. I feel that the little bit of continuity and professionalism has gone since Jim Ross left the booth and I would like to see that restored in one way or another. However, it looks as though J.R wont be commentating on the WWE and I feel like that is there loss. J.R is a commentator, first and foremost. The WWE may be looking out for his health and being a little over-eager but they are taking away his livelihood. The man is widely touted as being the best commentator ever to grace the wrestling business and the WWE has him sitting on the fucking sidelines!? What the Hell is that all about!?

J.R has stated that he could commentate again and I would like to see that. I love to see him commentate and if he was ever to move to TNA, which he absolutely should if they can meet his wage demands and other technical issues, I would tune in to just listen to him. He has an air of class and respectability around him and would settle in well to TNA. I am also sure that people would tune into TNA just to hear him commentate. J.R is a big WWE name and if he jumped ship, it would be a big deal for everyone involved.

I don't see it happening but I definitely think it could and maybe should. He wants to continue and travelling is not that big of a deal with TNA. I say let him have a chance.

I hope JR does not go to TNA I mean other than Commentating again what would it accomplish for him anyway.Ive liked JR since I first heard him in 1993 after he left WCW and Debuted at Wrestlemania 9. Jim Ross has been the Voice of the WWE for along time and I would like to see him come back in some capacity if they let him. I dunno I think TNA would be a step down for probably the Best Announcer (along with Gorrilla Monsoon) in the Business.

IF JR went to TNA, he would want to be in creative/talent relations as well as commentary. I don't see Russo/Ferrara/Bischoff letting a new person come in and run creative with them, because what point is there in bringing a new voice to creative when they are outnumbered? You would have to scrap the creative team and start from scratch. I also think Eric Bischoff is in charge of talent relations, yes? That would mean he would have to step aside and let JR do what he does best. I don't see that happening.
JR is a hell of a commentator, but I honestly think WWE keeping him off of TV is their best bet. I do think they could use him better though. Let him have Johnny Ace's job in Talent Relations again because JR is a better talent scout(the last person JR discovered was Jack Swagger, so think about that) and is better open to suggestions/criticism from talent in regards to their character, which I have heard from talent in different interviews with OTR.
He also should be used as the voice in the announcer's ear on Raw/Smackdown..Vince does ok sometimes with it, but sometimes he restricts what they can say to much or feeds them terrible lines(Jerry Lawler gets that alot). JR always has had a knack at calling matches in a believeable way and I think he could help the announcers(Cole/Striker/Grisham) that are on regular tv and to some extent possibly help Josh Matthews move up the ladder as a color commentator.
So I don't think he will/should go to TNA because I don't think that they can offer him what he needs to be happy in the business.

If they could sign him to just commentate (assuming he was healthy enough for such a role to begin with) then it would be a good idea. If he wants in on creative I think that is a bad idea. At this point I do not see him being effective in such a role. If a less pivotal backstage role was enough to entice him to commentate then that would be fine as well. Lots of ifs and buts so this seems somewhat unlikely.

Jim Ross going to TNA provides mixed emotions from me. On one hand, I would like to see him stay with the company that we most identify Jim Ross with: WWE. He had so many great moments as a commentator... every night J.R. worked as a commentator was that much better just because Jim Ross was working.

On the other hand, I have to put it bluntly. WWE, to me, seems to not want Jim Ross anymore. They've taken him for everything that think that he is worth, and they are wanting to put the Hall-of-Famer to pasture. This is sad because I believe no matter what physical ailments J.R. may have, he can still contribute on the headsets. So, TNA has every right to explore this option. And if they are so lucky to get Jim Ross, their stock goes up that much more. Even the most ridiculous segments will be turned into watchable TV thanks to Ross's commentary.

JR is the greatest wrestling announcer since Gordon Solie. In fact I think JR is better, but that's neither here nor there. Point is, Mike Tenay sucks and should be hawking gear with Don West at house shows.

In the short term, JR really wouldn't have to work much as a TNA announcer as they don't shoot live every Monday. But what he could bring to TNA is that ability to discover the next class of stars. He did that with the WWE, in fact I dare say the WWE is going to be in deep shit without him.

Vince Russo said he doesn't want to lead the writing team anymore (I think they should future endeavour him) so there is plenty of room in creative for JR.

JR is a voice fans of wrestling have come to know and love for the past 15+ years, he is the voice of wrestling for me. There is nobody that sells a moment as well as JR, not even CLOSE.

I think Tenay is the best currently doing play by play, Cole focuses too much on catch phrases and he comes off as reading a script far too often, Grisham is ok, but he lacks personality. All three of them sell spots like it's robotic though, Striker is the only one who really does it with some heart.

Anyway, I said this in another thread, if TNA could get JR announcing, I think that would almost legitimize it to casual fans.. more then almost any single wrestler could (besides maybe Cena).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back