JR Retires From WWE!

THTRobtaylor

Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist
http://www.wwe.com/inside/jim-ross-to-retire

From WWE.com

"WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross announced that he is retiring from WWE today, after 20 years of service, to focus on his personal business endeavors.

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

Jim has made many contributions to WWE and the sports-entertainment industry, and we thank him for his many years of service and wish him well."

It's shocking how quickly this has happened but not really much of a surprise.

I think once JR was off the mic regularly, his time was numbered working for WWE. While he clearly loved the company, the love/hate relationship that Vince has had with JR over the years is perhaps the saddest part of it all. JR has been fired, humiliated, let down, built up and just about been through every possible emotive situation, and we've been right there with him.

How many people even remember or know JR was the premier announcer in WCW for years? or that he was the guy responsible for bringing such wide ranging talent as Chris Jericho, The Rock, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle and even Stone Cold to the WWF?

To me JR is simply the most important figure in WWE in the last 20 years - the glue that often held the backstage and show quality together, who got the talent they had to work harder and sound like they were a million dollars.

Triple H has clearly picked up that mantle now so JR's work is finally done and I think this coming PPV may be JR's fare well. It's fitting perhaps that his last match on commentary COULD see Daniel Bryan become "the guy" by beating Orton... JR's commentary could make that moment... or they could do as they normally do, humiliate him and have Trips throw him out the building.

What do you guys think of JR and his career?

Wasn't expecting it like that. I was hoping for a on air announcement.

Jim Ross is someone I've always had a lot of respect for. He could scout talent like no other, and was the John Madden of Professional Wrestling.

I certainly wish him a happy retirement, he sure as hell deserves it.

I guess the next question will be, will WWE let him retire in peace, or will they look for one more final way to humiliate him on television before he leaves?

What if it goes the other way around?

What if jr finally humiliates vince mcmahon on wwe tv. Would be a nice gift to jr and a great way to leave the company.

The manner of the announcement is a suprise but the actually retirement itself doesn't shock me.

It's a shame really, I've always enjoyed JR's style of commentary and would have liked to have seen him have one last run behind the table on Monday Night Raw before hanging up his microphone for good. I can't help but think that he would have had some sort of role to play in the current corporate storyline had he been around as I'm sure that Vince would love to humiliate him one last time.

Nevertheless, there is no doubt that he is more than deserving of a long retirement for all the hard work he has given, not only WWE, but wresting in general.

Here's to ya! :flipa: (SCSA style)

Apparently this all has to do with the issue with Flair during the WWE 2k14 panel at Summerslam. I guess WWE was upset that JR did nothing to cut-off Flair from his rambling during the panel.

If that's indeed true, then I find it to be downright horrible. JR should be able to retire on his terms and get a proper send-off. But Vince would rather embarrass him.

According to Dave Meltzer, the WWE is pretty much laying the responsibility of what happened with Ric Flair at the WWE 2K14 panel on Jim Ross' shoulders and that they felt he should have controlled Flair once Flair started going off the reservation.

I don't know if this is true or if it's just a well known dirtsheet writer stirring the pot. If it is true then there's no real way of excusing it in my book. Ric Flair is a 64 year old man and if he acts like a douche, then it's on him. Jim Ross isn't a babysitter, nor was it the job he signed up for when he came to WWE all those years ago.

From what I understand, it's not as if this incident at SummerSlam generated any sort of bad press from WWE. The people representing 2K Sports on the panel were reportedly very happy and entertained with how the whole thing came off. So, again if this is all true, then it sounds like Vince McMahon having another massive overreaction that he's known to have. He's notorious for micromanaging everything and anything that he feels isn't just exactly how he feels it should be really gets his goat.

At the same time, however, again, this could be another in a long line of stories that gets the IWC in an uproar with no real substance to it. Jim Ross is 61 years old and has been working in pro wrestling for almost 40 years. He's gone as far as a commentator can possibly go in pro wrestling, and it seems pretty obvious that he's not going to be doing commentary on television on a regular basis. So, as a result, maybe he did think it was time to hang up the mic altogether.

I think either story is plausible but I'm gonna wait and see if more information comes along before deciding.

Good for him. Now he can focus on his ventures outside of wrestling. It's no secret that he is heavily invested in his bbq sauce and that stuff. I don't know how often he has to be on the road doing what he does with the WWE but I'm sure he would like to be able to relax and be home with his wife more.
He's had a top notch career and has provided many memorable moments. Definitely one of the best if not the best announcer in the history of wrestling.
As others have said it would be nice if they gave him a nice send off but with the way Vince is I could see them embarrassing him one last time. I would just like to see him leave with some dignity.

To be honest I already considered him retired anyways. He might have come back occassionaly but at best I considered him as being on a legends contract for announcers since he no longer had a backstage or creative role. This announcement just means to me that I won't have to hear his repetitive and now boring commentary once a year. He was entertaining in the 90's but frankly, I grew bored with his match commentary by 1999. Every match was about the same. Don't worry, I'm not crazy. I feel the same about Lawler and Cole as well.
His best interesting work was the back and forth between him and Jerry and him and Cole. His actual match commentation was repetitive and dull.
Still it isn't fair that he's being blamed for Flair's actions, there is some responsibility on his part since as I watched the event, he didn't seem all there himself. He stumbled over words, went off on tangents himself and seemed to have trouble keeping his mind on track. Now, some will say it could be an effect of his medical condition, and he himself used that as an excuse during his speech, but that doesn't excuse the actions, only the mechanism of his behaviour. If he was having a bad enough day that he was that affected then he should have pulled himself from the lineup. So there is some blame to be had on him, but not all of it, as Flair is a supposed grown man and professional and is the only one to blame for his behavior the same as JR is responsible for his own.
Or it could be that JR was there live and worked with the reactions Flair was getting from the crowd, since it was being well received by the people in the audience and the only complaint seemed to be the time limit issues towards the end. They wanted to hear more of the various stories that were being mentioned.

Maybe now he can say more than "I don't know" when it comes to questions :D

Best commentator wwe has ever had put he retired along time ago, only now it's confirmed.

It was time for JR to retire. He hasn't really worked in any capacity other than being used in some angle from time to time. He maintained his blog, which wasn't bad but just another corporate opinion piece. I'm proud of JR's contributions to wrestling as a whole and I think he'll be remembered for what he's done.

For people calling him the greatest WWF/E announcer ever.. He was the only true pure-bred "announcer" the company really had. Gorilla, (who I love to death) was a wrestler. Not an "announcer" by profession. Vince McMahon was the son of the owner and eventually the owner, not an announcer by trait. When WWF hired Tony Schiavone (yes, Tony worked for WWF, kids) and eventually JR, they started investing in real wrestling announcers because they honed this skill for several years. This is what these guys did for a profession. They didn't get there by having a career handed to them by their fathers or given to them due to a wrestling career in it's twilight. They got there because they loved the sport. It was their profession. Gordon Solie is most likely the greatest wrestling announcer ever. JR is the greatest WWF/E announcer ever. JR understands that.. and I'm sure he's proud to be in good company.

Enjoy retirement JR.

If I'm Dixie Carter and Spike TV I would let Hogan's contract expire in a couple of months and turn ALL creative control over to JR and pay him whatever he asks for. He's the only one who has the cache to make TNA a real challenge to WWE

First off, my hats off to JR for an amazing career calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history. Like others have said, he was a pure talent when it came to being an announcer, and his ability to scout talent during his prime was remarkable at the least.

With that said, I'm wondering if maybe...just maybe, there's a spin to this to go along with the Daniel Bryan/Orton/HHH/McMahon story line. Here's the "what if" that popped in my head:

This Monday, they have a some sort of a big send off for JR on Raw. Maybe it's something where they go through all his accolades, have a video package, bring him to the ring for his chance to say goodbye to the WWE, and HHH's music hits. Right there, what that does is pass a considerable part of Vince's torch to HHH. Because everyone knows that no good is about to come to the whole thing. HHH and Stephanie come down to the ring, and begin the usual "embarass JR" scenario that we would expect Vince to do. Not long after, Daniel Bryan comes down for the save and gets in HHH's face and puts a verbal smackdown on Hunter and Stephanie. I'm talking about the kind of stuff that takes a guy that's as over as DB, and puts him in an elite teir of past talent.

It reminds of the days of Stone Cold vs Vince, but it's DB vs. HHH. From there...I don't know. Maybe The Sheild comes out and beats down DB, maybe SCSA gets involved because of his ties with JR. Maybe a couple other people from the roster come out who were recruited by JR to help DB. There are plenty of ways to spin it.

I'm not trying to play "fantasy booker" for the sake of my own ego...I'm just wondering if it's possible that this is all part of a work to put this angle on a higher level with JR one more time before he tips his hat and walks off into retirement for good.

With that said...If it's the last of JR...then it's the last of a true wrestling legend that we will all miss!!

Well this was bound to happen.The WWE was looking for a reason to force JR out.Michael Cole is not JR.its s hey cant let the man leave on his on terms.

Before I make a comment, InterestingDrug, I must say that JR had surpassed Gordon Solie as the greatest announcer of all time. Even Steve Austin would agree with me on that.

No as far as JR's retirement goes. I read on here this was due to his lack of handling the Flair situation. And I honestly think this is the best thing that could happen to JR and to wrestling as a whole.

TNA is in a position right now where they're in dire need for somebody with the wrestling know-how to come in there and save their company. Dixie right now has a golden opportunity to get JR. But she needs to give him complete and total creative and hiring control of TNA talent and writers.

We all agree that JR and Heyman are the best minds in wrestling today. She has an opportunity to utilize one of them right now.

I can't believe this shit! I heard a rumor that it was Vince McMahon that made Fit Finlay from wrestling in the WWE. But how can he do someone like good ol' Jim Ross like? J.R. should have retired on his own free will! He's one of the two greatest ring annoncer's in pro wrestling history. He deserve's more than what he got on 11-9-13. Stone Cold Steve Austin and Jim Ross went together like Ric Flair and Gordon Solie.

But it was a hell of a career for the WWE hall of famer Jim Ross! I'll keep an eye opener for the Oklahoma Sooners this year in the NCAA for him. Well, BOOMER- SOONER GOOD Ol' J.R!

:)

maybe Jim Ross can now be really appreciated by a wrestling company that would utilise 40 years of experience. Maybe TNA would look at a consultantcy role in the company. He is too good and still young enough to make a massive contribution, on screen or off. WWE wanted to put him out to pasture, the least they could have done was give him some tv time to farewell the public and his legion of fans. Obviously he has been fired, this is not his own doing, WWE yet again telling the public what they want them to hear.

JR was basically retired as it was he did behind the scenes work but that was about it.

people are going off due to a Dave "BS" Meltzer report. How many times has it come to light after a report from this jackwaggon that he made the damn thing up? The guy tells the truth as much as Obama in other words hardly ever.

I will take JR's word over DM's anyday. I guess people forgot that back in June JR had another attack, a small one but still another attack, of his BP.

Its just like when people went nuts when he went off the air and Meltzer said it was vince and later it was found out that he had a real bad attack of BP and Vince pulled him off for his own health.

People go nuts about the JR jokes and Vince degrading him but you forget one thing. Everything is run by the participants The Vicky fat jokes, The jerry story line after the heart attack and after his moms death etc. Its been admitted by many that they are all asked is this ok if we do this. There even was an interview with Vicky where she talked about Jerry asking after every show if he went to far and were they still good. JR himself has said that he approved of every SL he and vince did and Cole did. Cole has said he and JR discussed everything before every show same with him and King. ITS SCRIPTED.

I am a huge fan of JR and I will take what he says that he jus wants to retire relax write a book and do his other stuff and not have to worry about the E over Moron Meltzer saying he was fired and its a coverup.

If I'm Dixie Carter and Spike TV I would let Hogan's contract expire in a couple of months and turn ALL creative control over to JR and pay him whatever he asks for. He's the only one who has the cache to make TNA a real challenge to WWE

Hey, if Vince really fired Jim, then TNA would be stupid not to jump on JR's bandwagon and not offer him something.

Give him what he wants and bring his friend Cornette along for the ride.

It's not shocking that he retires. What's "shocking" is that report from Meltzer which people should be taking with a grain of salt. It's not like wrestling dirtsheets are the most accurate sources we have.

Other than that, I hope JR enjoys his retirement. He was great while he was around. I'm sure he will still be working on that BBQ sauce.

maybe Jim Ross can now be really appreciated by a wrestling company that would utilise 40 years of experience.

If being unappreciated means being the voice of Raw, being in charge of talent relations, making millions to do something you love, and to get to watch the best wrestlers in the world night in and night out...well you see where I'm getting with this.

Give him what he wants and bring his friend Cornette along for the ride.

The same Jim Cornette who nearly ruined Ring of Honor?

As you can tell from my name, I was a big fan of what the Gorilla/Heenan tandem brought to PPVs. I was also a big fan of the Gorilla/Jesse duo. WrestleMania III was great because all three of them had time in the booth (and I even enjoyed Bob Uecker). My point is that a great announcer brings so much to the product, in my opinion. I consider JR one of those great announcers that enhances repeat viewing of classic matches and cards.

When I was 10 years old, I attended SummerSlam '89. It wasn't until years later that I realized Tony Schiavone was there instead of Gorilla. Boy, did I pick the right PPV to see live! Watching SummerSlam '89 now, aside from remembering that night very clearly and enjoying different angles of images burned in my memory, is not that great because of Schiavone. He wasn't as obnoxious as he was on Nitro, but I didn't enjoy him. In fact, I used to think I hated when Vince would be at the helm instead of Gorilla; but, I would take him over Schiavone any day. I also don't care for Michael Cole. As a heel, he overplayed his character, and poorly at that, and as a face or neutral announcer, there is nothing special about him. Sometimes, I will throw on WMV or WMVIII --actually WMIX is a very funny broadcast (and an underrated card in my opinion)--and listen to the announcing while at work, even though I can't sit and watch the matches. I enjoy the nostalgia. That is not the case for all announce teams.

I think JR did a great job. He is no Gorilla, but he is definitely someone I will enjoy watching/listening to when viewing old PPVs and RAWs.

Near the end of his tenure, Vince needed JR more than JR needed Vince. The guy is set for life, has done everything you could possibly do as a non-wrestler, plus he's an entrepreneur in the BBQ industry.

I've heard Vince never truly respected Jim Ross for the sheer fact that JR knew more about wrestling and the wrestling business, how it works, etc, than Vince did or ever will. If JR is gone, good. He was being ridiculed in the end anyways any chance Vince got ever since his Bells Palsy set in. So now he no longer has to look like a fool in front of fans who don't know how great he was and how much he meant to the business.

If Ross was fired because of the Flair incident then I've got only one thing to say. McMahon was waiting for a reason to fire Ross and he got it. Even the smallest issue, something to grab on to.

JR wasn't wrong for not being able to contaminate Chemical Flair. Flair wasn't wrong for rambling on. It's Ric Flair, it comes pre-advertised.

The person at fault is Vince McMahon for over-reacting to a tiny issue, for trying to kick Ross to the curb because fuck him - that's why and for being the douche we all know he is. Hell, even McMahon knows the Flair incident isn't "fire worthy". Everyone knows that. He just doesn't care. He waited for Ross to slip in order to justify his termination. He's been doing it with people before, he will continue to do it until the day he croaks. He's just an ass.

I hope Ross goes to TNA and does not simply retire from wrestling. There's more he can do but not in Vince McMahon's WWE.

The way this has happened,to me is a surprise but not a surprise. Once JR was off the mic for good,to me it was only a matter of time before he retired for good. JR is indeed,the most important figure of the last 25 years. JR is indeed,the best announcer of all time. The way it happened though,to announce it on the net and on twitter?

This is making me think seriously this was a forced retirement. The whole debacle,that happened at SummerSlam when Flair was being Flair,I had no idea JR was supposed to control him? Why was it on JR's shoulders and no one else? Vince can and will again over exaggerate situations as im sure this is no different. JR needs a proper send off,not some bullshit retirement on the internet and on twitter. IMO give him the proper respect he deserves,have him make a speech on a RAW or PPV they should retire his chair (If thats possible).

As i said,im sure this was a forced retirement,retire or your fired sorta deal. This of course is my opinion,but JR deserves a proper send off,and to me this is not it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back