• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena: love him or hate him he still....

Heartbreak_Kid_707

Championship Contender
I'll admittedly, I was sooooooooooo loving the John Cena/Paul Heyman promo. I really wanted Cena too to shout shut up to the fans..but he does what he does best. Sold...he didn't sell out to corporate, he didn't sell out to Paul heyman, he SOLD to the fans. The people that make a difference. No, I'm not a fan of his wrestling, and I looved it when Lesnar pounded him. BUT how can you not get chills when he talks about the last wish of a dying boy is to meet John Cena. He's done that thousands of times. How do you not get chills when you hear a wounded soldier his Purple Heart to John Cena.

A lot of people chant Cena sucks, or hates john Cena...but mark my words, for every IWC fanboy that's hats Cena then there is 10 fans that chant let's go Cena and love him. Cena.

How many people booed after cue as promo, compared to how loud the pop was when he came up or how loud the cheer was after cenas promo.

Love him or hate him...cena is the most popular and "over" with 80% of people....people praise heyman for bring "real life" to wrestling, but condemn John Cena for brining his "real life" highlights..

BTW, before ya even accuse me I'm not a fan or hater of John Cena the wrestler, frankly I'm a Rollins fan....but I am a huge fan of John Cena the person.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. If it is to spark debate about Cena sucking or not you are about 500 threads too late. If not then you are just telling us things we already know.

It's simple. Some people like him and some hate him. The problem arises when these people come on the internet and start talking about how he can't wrestle or has buried people for all the time he has been on top. Those people do not know a thing about pro wrestling and there is certainly no argument in that.

I've done this many times before and this will probably end up in the trash or merged so I will leave it at that.

Your more than I totaled to leave it at that, that's your choice. My point is I'm wanting to draw attention to the fact of how good a promo it was and more importantly that "real life" being a two way street. It's only fair for one if fair to the other. I coulda picked a better name for this thread but it's still the same content...

FYI there may have been 500 posts before on this, and you sir may have posted on all 500 but I sir, I have not..

I don't think there is anyone who can dispute Cena's charity work and he deserves huge props for it. As a person I'm sure he's a wonderful guy, and has proved it over and over again with everything he's done.

As a wrestler though, I have said this before, I personally find the Cena personality stale. He hasn't changed in almost 12 years and I really wish he had. I don't dislike the man, I don't know him so can't hate someone I don't know. His work with Make a Wish and other charities can't be overlooked though and he's done some great things.

All I know is that no wrestler in history, bar maybe The Rock, comes close to Cena as a talker. I prefer the mic work of others (Austin and Savage, to name a couple), but nobody commands the English language like Cena. His projection, clarity and phrasing render him without equal. A flub from Cena is extremely rare, and every ice age when it does happen, he's able to smooth it over instantly by either catching himself and restarting the word, or repeating it immediately with the proper pronunciation. Phenomenal.

I actually think that (apart from having him bury Bray relentlessly) they're using Cena quite well. Even if he doesn't turn heel (which he wont) playing off the crowd love/hating him is quite smart, and although he's still portrayed as a superhero, seeing him actually lose makes it a bit more interesting.

If they continue handling him this well I wouldn't mind it at all. A lot better than stale angry dude orton which right now is really the low point of the main event scene.

I'm completely with you! That Cena promo on Raw was great, part of it is that Cena is a good promo guy...scratch that he's great. And he's cutting a promo with another great promo guy in Paul Heyman. And it became such a simple thing. When Paul was like I hate that you can't stop being Cena. I'm watching thinking that makes sense. Then he talked about the purple heart...I don't know if that happened or not but it was great promo work. Like really, I got off my computer and watched, I'm not a fan of Cena but it was that good. When he threatened Heyman it got even better xD best Cena promo I've seen in a long time! Hopefully we get see this more often out of him

Love him or hate him...cena is the most popular and "over" with 80% of people

This is something that a lot of people (good and sensible people) say in his defense and while it IS true, his mixed reaction encourages people to cheer whichever heel he goes up against and that dominoes into that wrestler's next programme.

People then say that the concept of "faces vs heels" is passe, but I don't buy that. The way WWE-programming is presented, the face/heel dichotomy is still very much with us.

John Cena has been the best pro wrestler of this century. 20 years ag, in the Hulkamania era, things like never give up, hustle, loyalty, and respect were not seen as uncool. Now they are. If Cena had had the same gimmick only promoting Getting high, Having casual sex, and chillin then he would have been popular with all fans today.

Cena has been the consummate professional pro wrestler. He shows up almost every week on raw, he does good mic work, and usually excellent work in the ring.
For being at the top of the game for so long, he has earned my respect as a fan. I give him credit for being very successful without having to lower himself to the Justin Beaver and Molly Cyrus level.

If you don't like his gimmick then you should at least realize he is the best at what he does.

That's what I was trying to say...they feed off each other so good on real life events. Heyman seems like the guy everybody loves to hate..and Cena is the guy everybody's hates to love..

Best Cena promo in years and I think best heyman promo in years...

All I know is that no wrestler in history, bar maybe The Rock, comes close to Cena as a talker. I prefer the mic work of others (Austin and Savage, to name a couple), but nobody commands the English language like Cena. His projection, clarity and phrasing render him without equal. A flub from Cena is extremely rare, and every ice age when it does happen, he's able to smooth it over instantly by either catching himself and restarting the word, or repeating it immediately with the proper pronunciation. Phenomenal.

Is this a joke? It's hard to understand your sarcasm if that's what you were aiming for.

I personally think the worst problem about Cena is how phony he sounds. It was fine when he was a heel, but as a face he just comes off as fake. It's a combination of his bad acting, his cringe-worthy lines and his propensity to change tone mid-sentence. His promos just aren't very good. I think the people who say they enjoy these promos are just used to them. It's the only explanation I can come up with as to how people can seriously say Cena is good on the mic. Maybe standards are just lower nowadays.

People also say that Cena has great charisma, but I think they confuse that with confidence. I think Cena is probably the most confident performer on the mic which makes him come off better than he actually is, but I don't equate that to charisma. Similarly, a lot of people praise AJ's mic work which I think is horrible. Like Cena, I think she is a terrible actress who exaggerates facial expressions and comes off as insincere. But she is also very confident, and that translates into people thinking she's great. That's probably enough for the divas division where everyone else is uncomfortable when holding a mic though.

All in all, I think their confidence sets their performances back. Cena has the potential to improve on the mic, but he thinks he's great so he always sticks to the same routine. I bet that if he went to an acting class, he could come off better on the mic.

This is something that a lot of people (good and sensible people) say in his defense and while it IS true, his mixed reaction encourages people to cheer whichever heel he goes up against and that dominoes into that wrestler's next programme.

People then say that the concept of "faces vs heels" is passe, but I don't buy that. The way WWE-programming is presented, the face/heel dichotomy is still very much with us.

All the leaked WWE scripts divide the rosters by faces and heels. The dynamic is alive and well. When they publicly say that faces and heels don't exist, it's usually in response to questions about crowd responses. But faces and heels aren't based on crowd response, they are based on the INTENDED crowd response. Cena is supposed to be cheered, so he's the ultimate face, even if some arenas are 90% against him.

I think that if John had turned heel for ~9 months and then turned face, he would have been a bigger star.

I personally think he's a guy who should've been booked like Triple H. He should work with all the top guys because he's good, but he shouldn't have been THE guy. It was a mistake to build the company around him. He was pushed at a time there was no one better so WWE settled for him as a centerpiece. But I think that if they would've kept WWE as an ensemble of stars and built it around the relationships between the characters instead of the characters themselves, it would've been a bigger hit. (Like the SD six, but for the whole company)

I can't dispute all the good things he does for charity and the children that look up to him, I have the utmost respect for John Cena. Years ago, I was in the "Cena sucks!" camp and the thing about that is I feel like that crowd can be generally summed up as a little picky and narrow-focused. I've since learned to approach his situation from a business point of view to see where he and company are coming from and, really, John is fine. He only needs to keep doing what he's doing.

The insistence by so many on John turning heel would not make his detractors automatically love him, they'd still hate him because they just don't like HIM. And his actual fans would be left feeling confused and/or betrayed by their hero and considering all the kids that admire him and the charity work he's done, you just can't do that. It simultaneously would hurt their incoming cash flow from his merchandise and cause a PR nightmare. If any reaction is a good reaction, as they say, then John doesn't need to change. Whether you buy a ticket to see John win the day or get his face stomped in, you still gave them your money and that's all that matters.

A little more on a heel turn: If it had to happen, it needed to happen several years ago or has to happen several years from now. Timing is everything. Sometime over the last 3 or 4 years he had a couple opportunities that could have been used for a real heel turn but since it passed and he's continually smashed over as the ultimate babyface, the people just accept it, whatever their reaction is. And he's banged on about that for so long now that we just say "Okay" and keep going.

So the next chance that could be capitalized on is maybe another 4 years from now if he's still doing this full-time. After his younger fans have grown up a little more they'll likely become disillusioned with him which could also be a byproduct of whoever takes the top spots next with drastically different personas from his. i.e. what they think is cool now wouldn't necessarily be so in a few years. At that point, if he goes through with it, it might mirror Hogan's turn in '96 in a lot of ways and rejuvenate his career. A big part of it though would fall to John to really embrace that attitude to make it work. The fans see through phoniness and if he's just putting on an act, they're not going to buy it.

And if 4 years from now and beyond, he's still the ultimate babyface, that'll be something we'll still be talking about. Just like Sting for so long was "the one old-school guy to never work for Vince McMahon," John will be known as "the top guy who wouldn't turn heel."

Ok, Jawad, time to go to sleep, school tomorrow.

Cena was the typical Cena. He obviously wouldn't say anything bad because it felt so forced and out of place in the first place anyway.

I don't see the point in this thread. Just another "I like and respect Cena because he helps homeless people with health issues". Spam thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back