Jim Johnston released?

pyrusane

Getting Noticed By Management
So someone in my Wrestling Facebook group the Game Runners just posted a link to a story from RingsideNews that claims Jim Johnston has been released from WWE. I'm not seeing this posted anywhere else yet, has anyone else heard this?

He's been with the WWE forever now and with his dwindling presence being felt on current WWE theme songs, I wouldn't be surprised if he retired and found him something else to do. While Jim Johnston will be remembered for the most iconic wrestling entrances, his shoes are being filled greatly right now. CFO$ has pretty much nailed every theme song they've produced with favorites like Nakamura's, Bálor's, Roode's and even Enzo' s. WWE is in great hands. Put Jim in the hall of fame where he belongs.

have read it on multiple sites but most have the same wording in the story, could be false but it most likely is true.
as for WWE website not having a story about it is not that surprising. J.J. was a Corporate Employee not a Performer and they usually do not announce it when a Corporate Employee is let go.

Can't wait for his diss track.

I love how revered Jim was. If you've ever watched an interview with the guy, he was always reserved, maybe a little shy. It's refreshing to see someone in the arts with such a demeanour have the success that he did.

I get it, though. The WWE moves on, and so does the music scene. Entrance tunes are going to reflect that. Jim's songs, while iconic, are from yesteryear. I wonder how Steve Austin's theme would be received if it was a new track today.

HOF worthy? Absolutely.

I am honestly shocked that he hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame yet. If there were non-wrestlers that should headline the HOF Johnston should be one of them. A lot of the marketing, presentation, and getting a talent over had a lot to do with the entrance themes that Johnston has composed through the years.

It's been reported that CFO$ actually had a hand in this, and that Johnston was keen on still working for the company.

I like CFO$ but if that's the case, dick move on their part.

It's been reported that CFO$ actually had a hand in this, and that Johnston was keen on still working for the company.

I don't know that it had as much to do with CFO$ as it did with Neil Lawi, the executive in charge of anything related to WWE's music such as entrance themes, music for ppv promotion, film scores, vignettes, tribute videos, etc. Back in 2014, when CFO$ took over, it came about because of Lawi wanted to make use of the fact that he was friends with and had prior business dealings with CFO$. As a result, Johnston's creative input was dramatically reduced, almost, at times, to the point of nonexistence. As a result, I think it was mostly just a corporate decision to slowly phase Johnston out.

Jim Johnston should be in the WWE Hall of Fame, there's no question of that in my mind. Up until the last several years, all the music we've heard in WWE, that hasn't included the use of outside groups of course, was all composed by Johnston and he played all the instruments on nearly all of it. From 1991 through 2014, virtually everything you heard in WWE regarding music was Johnston involved in either playing, composing, producing, mixing or sometimes all of the above. I've read some interviews in the past from groups like Fuel or Motorhead, Lemmy Kilmister especially, heaping praise on Johnston for his knowledge, versatility, talent and passion for all things music. Plus, several WWE albums in the past, mostly during the late 90s through early 2000s, went gold or platinum and that's really impressive when you consider the albums are just wrestling entrance themes that received no airplay on radio or music industry promotion.

To my knowledge, WWE still hasn't acknowledged that he's been released. Johnston is one of the genuine unsung heroes of WWE as he helped, in his own way, to shape the identities of a helluva lot of wrestlers.

I wonder what the WWE paid him if I were to guess it probably wasn't enough, Reading the list of theme songs he wrote he must have incredible talent and vision for matching the song with the character, Its not like he's just done one or two it looks like the majority of songs used in the history of the WWE was involving him in some way, Deffinently deserves a hall of fame induction or at least some recognition by the WWE for the amount he has done and has been a major contributer to their sucess.
Also quite surprised the amount of theme songs Jimmy Hart was involved in.

Well it makes sense because CFO$ does most of the songs now, but it's still sad to see him go. He wrote many great and iconic songs and should be inducted into the HOF, perhaps under the Warrior Award.

Why is this a story really. No offense to Jim Johnston because he was a big part of my childhood and everything but he's just another guy that was replace by younger guys just like when Howard Finkel got replace on tv by lilian garcia.

In the end, his work will be remember forever and that all we really need to say about this.

Why is this a story really. No offense to Jim Johnston because he was a big part of my childhood and everything but he's just another guy that was replace by younger guys just like when Howard Finkel got replace on tv by lilian garcia.

In the end, his work will be remember forever and that all we really need to say about this.

It's a story because his contributions are legendary. If you feel it isn't a story, then ignore it. He'll "be remember" if people talk about him. Why are you trying to silence the few people discussing him?

I'm not trying to silence fans from discussing him, I get it, he's a legendary figure in the industry. He wrote some of the greatest theme in wrestling and beside Jimmy Hart, he's probably the best composer wwe had,. My point is, why this is such a big deal, guys move on and get replace aĺl the time. Finkel got replace when they thought it was time to move on and nobody made a big deal about it. When one of the greatest referee in wwe history, earl Jhebner got release, nobody made a big deal about it.

So I don't get what make him more special then the 2 men's I just mention especially since this news is just a rumor and never was confirm. In fact, maybe he just decided to retire and it was a mutual split. Anyway, I'm not diminishing is legendary status because I feel like you guy, but I don't get why it's such a big deal is that he decided to move on.

On a side note my favorite theme he wrote was the ultimate warrior's theme.

I'm not trying to silence fans from discussing him, I get it, he's a legendary figure in the industry. He wrote some of the greatest theme in wrestling and beside Jimmy Hart, he's probably the best composer wwe had,. My point is, why this is such a big deal, guys move on and get replace aĺl the time. Finkel got replace when they thought it was time to move on and nobody made a big deal about it. When one of the greatest referee in wwe history, earl Jhebner got release, nobody made a big deal about it.

So I don't get what make him more special then the 2 men's I just mention especially since this news is just a rumor and never was confirm. In fact, maybe he just decided to retire and it was a mutual split. Anyway, I'm not diminishing is legendary status because I feel like you guy, but I don't get why it's such a big deal is that he decided to move on.

On a side note my favorite theme he wrote was the ultimate warrior's theme.

Well, if that is true, I think Finkel and Hebner should have been discussed. I think those would be refreshing new conversations...as opposed to the millionth "What kind of guy was Bret Hart?" thread. Both added to the experience and were better than many faceless others in similar roles.

I get it, though. The WWE moves on, and so does the music scene. Entrance tunes are going to reflect that. Jim's songs, while iconic, are from yesteryear. I wonder how Steve Austin's theme would be received if it was a new track today.

I think he still did the Shield theme so he's done some good modern work. Though you could tell the differences between the entrance themes done by Johnston and the one done by CFO$.

I disagree though that Jim's work is passe. Musicians and artists the good ones always know how to reinvent themselves. I went to the Van Gough museum in Amsterdam and the one take away is that he is able to reinvent himself with various styles from more European to Asian, to earthly portraits to lush colorful landscapes.

So Jonnston being an artist himself, I am sure, has reinvented himself over the years.

On one hand I agree but this isn't uncommon in the music, media and arts industry. Where creative differences will push someone out so it happens.

Just finished listening to all four WWE uncaged compilations and i have to say that while Jim Johnston did create a lot of great them songs over the years he's been with WWE, he did release some stinkers as well. Don't believe me, listen to WWE uncaged 4, it's pretty much a compilation of every generic theme song the guy create, Like Brock lesnar 1st theme song, HHH'S theme when he join the corporation or my favorite, the very bad remix of the DX theme.

The guy was a great composer in his time but he also did made some mistake and created some less then memorable songs over the years. Too bad that's he's gone or retired or whatever but he was a big part of the company and i really hope he will be honored someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back