It's Not A Great Tag Division, Really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Their tag team division is deep.

I don't agree. Better than WWE, no doubt. But a deep tag division, hardly. Top of my head I've the Machine Guns, LAX, Beer Money, Team 3D, Lethal & Creed and those Japanese blokes who'll be gone next week.

Sacrifice - LAX vs. Team 3D
Slammiversary - LAX vs. Team 3D
Victory Road - LAX vs. Beer Money
Hard Justice - LAX vs. Beer Money
No Surrender - LAX vs. Beer Money
Bound For Glory - LAX vs. Beer Money vs. Team 3D vs. Morgan & Abyss
Turning Point - Beer Money vs. MCMG
Genesis - Beer Money vs. Lethal & Creed vs. Abyss & Morgan
Against All Odds - Beer Money vs. Lethal & Creed
Destination X - Beer Moeny vs. Team 3D
Lockdown - Beer Moeny vs. Team 3D

That's over the past 12 months for the tag titles on PPV, I don't see much variety there.

Obviously the division is better than in WWE. But is it still overrated?

To me 4 or 5 top tag teams is not that bad. Are their more than 4 or 5 main eventers (not inlcuding guys that could be worked up into the main event I'm talking about already established main event guys) right now on each brand? Raw has 7 by my estimation and Smackdown has a little less than that, but the point is there's not much more than 4 or 5. There's only so much tv time. You can't have 20 tag teams or something stupid like that. 4 to 5 is plenty. The WWE put there tag team division on the map back in the day with basically 3 teams (E & C, The Hardy's, and the Dudleys.) so 4 to 5 is plenty in my opinion, especially when you consider that those 4 to 5 teams are the best tag teams in all of professional wrestling today!

I think the Tag team division is great.Some great young tag teams like the Guns,LAX,Lethal Consequences and Beer Money.And they have legends like Team 3D.The fact that the first four are young means not only are they here for the present,but for the future.But TNA need to use Team 3D to put them over even more,or they won't develop into brilliant tag teams.

However,the fact that WWE has a shit division might help.It multiplies how we see the tag team division.So maybe this helps how we see it,but only helps,not defining how we rate it.

But I am afraid that LAX will pursue singles careers,which will be good for the x and heavyweight divisions,not for the tag team division.And I can only assume that Beer Money will split soon,which will also do a little damage.But they do have the ingredients to build it into the greatest tag team division in the world.Which is only inevitable..

You're right, Jake. I mean, sure, it has three good teams. I speak, of course, of the Guns, Beer Money and LAX. However, TNA is in the awkward position that every single member of those tag teams would be better off as singles competitors.

I'm sure this tag tournament is an effort to add some depth. They've got one of the guys from Cade and Murdoch. I think Murdoch. It's like getting one of Ant & Dec, except Cade and Murdoch were shit. I hear rumour that Cade might be joining soon. Give a shit.

The British Invasion - much as they make my national pride (and by that, I mean my penis) swell, I'm confident they'll be gone within the month. They could be exceptionally good, I couldn't tell from twenty seconds of YouTube footage. I doubt it though.

Who else is there? Eric Young and his tag partner for the month. Lethal Consequences are OK, but would seem totally mismatched if they were both white. Everyone knows that gimmicks don't matter, so long as both members are black.

As for 3D, well, they're just plain shit. I left that to the end. It was too obvious to open my post; you wouldn't have paid attention.

*Sigh*

OK...You gave us a list showing the tag title defences at PPV over the last 12 months. That showed us: LAX defending their titles 5 times. Then losing them in a four way tag match (which WWE couldn't doo coz they only have 3 teams). Beer Money and LAX obviously had a feud. Then Beer Money defended their titles against 3 teams before losing them to Team 3D.

Clearly Beer Money had a nicely developed feud with LAX and lost the titles to 3D. In WWE, You had The Colons vs Miz and Morrison for two months in a crap feud, which is being followed by The Colons vs Priceless. Did the Colons really have a feud before then...No. Hell, I don't remember the last time the tag title were fought over in a PPV (Wrestlemania doesn't count because it was a dark match). TNA clearly has a division good enough that they can trust ONE team to headline 9 PPVs with EVERY OTHER TEAM.

It's a great tag division. And there's more variety than in WWE

Clearly Beer Money had a nicely developed feud with LAX and lost the titles to 3D.

Just because you repeat something over and over, it doesn't mean it gets nicely developed. My *********ion technique, for example. I mean, I actually watched a lot of TNA then and all I can remember is their first match on 'iMPACT!', before Beer Money were even officially formed. So, just like my wanking, watching Beer Money and LAX wrestle was a hollow, empty, sad experience, with a disappointing pay off.

In WWE, You had The Colons vs Miz and Morrison for two months in a crap feud, which is being followed by The Colons vs Priceless.

If you compare it to the WWE, it's obviously going to look good. That's tantamount to cheating. I hope I used tantamount properly.

TNA clearly has a division good enough that they can trust ONE team to headline *Sigh*

Not really though. I mean, you don't really headline a tag division, for starters. You're trapped there, especially if you're Beer Money. It's like they're trapped in that weird thing Superman put his foes into. They're spinning through space, screaming.

OK...You gave us a list showing the tag title defences at PPV over the last 12 months. That showed us: LAX defending their titles 5 times. Then losing them in a four way tag match (which WWE couldn't doo coz they only have 3 teams).

Matt Morgan and Abyss were one of the teams. Matt Morgan and Abyss.

Clearly Beer Money had a nicely developed feud with LAX and lost the titles to 3D.

OK, now you're just repeating yourself.

EVERY OTHER TEAM.

Beer Money?

It's a great tag division.

Time was...

Sorry but with my last post I accidentally copy and pasted it. But Uncle Sam Matt Morgan and Abyss SHOULD be way better. They just...kind of suck. They should have great chemistry but...

Anyway, Beer Money still did well and their feud LAX was good.

You're right, Jake. I mean, sure, it has three good teams. I speak, of course, of the Guns, Beer Money and LAX. However, TNA is in the awkward position that every single member of those tag teams would be better off as singles competitors.

Could you be any more wrong? Most of everything else you said was very good but the above is wrong on so many levels. Name one person that doesn't live in Mexico that would like to see Homicide or Hernandez in singles matches? Cause I can't do it. LAX is the hispanic version of Team 3D. No matter what you could try to do with these two, they would never ever get over as a singles competitor. MAYBE Hernandez could but that would require almost an entire gimmick/character makeover.

Robert Roode and James Storm were already very accomplished tag wrestlers and had some pretty damn good singles feuds even though they had no titles. Then they put together Beer Money which I love more than Team Canada and AMW. When this Beer Money run is over, Storm and Roode's stock will be even higher because they are both amazing. Storm and Roode are the Shelton Benjamin's of TNA that deserve big pushes but just lack that eye catching "gimmick" for lack of a better word. Maybe feud or angle would be more appropriate.

As for the Guns... holy eff where do I start? The first TNA ppv I ever watched was Lockdown 07 and other than the obvious guys I've seen wrestle on tv or internet or whatnot... (AJ Styles, Jarrett, Angle...etc) the one performer that caught my eye the most was Chris Sabin. Sabin really has something special. Now I don't believe giving me a year or 2 and total creative control of Sabin that I could make him TNA Champion, but he's got skills beyond skills. While I like Alex Shelley as well... he isn't as good as Sabin in my eyes. He just seems... almost like he doesn't belong in the ring. Ok that's a little extreme I know because Shelley is a very gifted wrestler, I just place Sabin above him in the ring. I don't know why, but I don't get into Alex Shelley. I do enjoy his promos and mic work though, but I don't see him on Sabin's level. There's just something about Sabin that I place him above Shelley. I probably said that enough. But these guys together are amazing. Their backstage reputation seems to get the best of them every time they start to get a push.

While I don't believe TNA's Tag Division is "deep," it doesn't suck either. I just find it amazing that everybody compares tag team wrestling to the Attitude Era and the Dudleys, Hardys, and Edge and Christian. Meanwhile, the only matches they're remembered for... were TLC matches, where they required zero tag team effort. And guess what... the Holy Grail of Tag Teams people refer to in this time period... only consisted of 3 teams. So to say that TNA has a deep division... isn't totally false because even tag wrestling in its prime (since people often compare it to the teams involved in TLC matches), TNA still has more teams in their division than the WWE featured in the TLC years. And while I love the TLC matches, they were not tag team wrestling to which everybody uses as their basis of comparison. This tournament in TNA will give their division another solid team or two that will add even more depth to it. I think TNA's tag division now really has the capability to be pretty epic. Of course, on as much of a scale that it can be at since TNA right now is obviously not as big as WWE.

The tag team division is better than WWE, but it is not that great. Like somebody else said, the problem is that most of the tag teams are better off being singles competitors. The Motor City Machine Guns have been together the longest of the current tag teams I believe, and they have never won the titles. I suppose that until new teams are formed and start being good, that Team 3D will still stick around. Beer Money has done great but I believe they will soon split them up and try them out as singles competitor. Hernandez being out means one less tag team and Young and Holiday will try to fill that rose. I'm curious to see where the British Invasion will be in the upcoming months. The attack on Hernandez was a good start but if they don't go forward, they will be cut.

TNA's tag division blows away WWE's. How many tag teams does WWE have? Umm.. Lemme see...

The Colons... And umm... Cryme Tyme... And, err.... Oh yeah, Priceless.

THATS IT! Hawkins and Ryder split up, along with Miz and Morrison, and Festus spilt with Jesse.

Plus, Priceless is the only tag team thats GOOD. Cryme Tyme hasnt been seen in a while, and the ass holes, suck at wrestling. Hopefully WWE will get some more teams to work with.

Oh yeah, and they really need to get ONE belt for the Undisputed Tag Championship. I mean, Carlito and Primo both look stupid with two belts draped over each shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back