Is the number of pay-per-views the problem?

Rebel2K8

RaTeD R
The main issue with WWE fans these days is that the storylines are not as gripping as they were back in the days of the Attitude Era. Remember when a feud would build up for a good few weeks before any official matchup took place between the participants and the fans couldn't wait for the match to see what would ahppen? In those days there was just a single pay-per-view per month, and that gave creative enough time to really build up the feuds and really get the the fans into the rivalry. Now Vince "is all about the money" and there are now more often than not two pay-per-views each month, so the feuds are thrown together vigorously and not enough time is given to build up the tension and the anxiety for the matches (in my opinion). It was pretty good back when Raw and Smackdown alternated pay-per-views so that while Raw's pay-per-view was coming up, Smackdown's feuds were being properly built up for the next month's pay-per-view and vice-versa. With the addition of ECW, now every month all three brands are showcased every month at each pay-per-view, and in my opinion this doesn't give the creators enough time to build up the rivalries efficiently enough to give the fans a good, solid feud, unless they stick with the feud after the first event(ala Chris Jericho and Shawn Michaels and now Randy Orton and CM Punk). I might be wrong, but its just my opinion. What do u think? Should Vince not care so much about making money and not have as many pay-per-views over the course of the year or should they go back to alternating pay-per-view events, and if so, what would they do with ECW each month?

Reactions: Tim
I think there are too many pay-per-view events as there are currently 14 events and sometimes there are only 3 weeks between them and I think it is stupid as it prevents promising feuds from becoming great feuds because there isn't time to build the feud up.

Although I like the events, I think they should do away with Cyber Sunday and One Night Stand so there are 12 events and all a month apart. As for ECW, I think they should have more matches at a PPV rather than have their own PPV as there aren't enough wrestlers on the ECW roster to have a card big enough for a PPV

I think there are too many pay-per-view events as there are currently 14 events and sometimes there are only 3 weeks between them and I think it is stupid as it prevents promising feuds from becoming great feuds because there isn't time to build the feud up.

Although I like the events, I think they should do away with Cyber Sunday and One Night Stand so there are 12 events and all a month apart. As for ECW, I think they should have more matches at a PPV rather than have their own PPV as there aren't enough wrestlers on the ECW roster to have a card big enough for a PPV

Why get rid of these two PPVs? They offer a change from the norm, and the fans can choose the matches in one, and everyone likes gimmick matches, so one PPV with only gimmick matches. These two are awesome PPVs and there is really no point in getting rid of them.

There are way too many PPVs at the moment. Feuds can't get the buildup they need unless they drag it out over a few PPVs, which usually gets boring. The two PPVs they need to get rid of are No Mercy and Judgment Day. This would free up the feuds a bit more and loosen time constraints.

They shouldn't alternate PPVs again, we just get pointless filler matches if that happens. There isn't enough talent on each brand to have alternating PPVs, so leave it as alternating PPVs. There isn't a proper way I can think of that can help the current PPV problem, maybe give title matches a rest for one and showcase talent without titles getting in the way.

I think most people would agree that there are way too many ppv's going right now. I agree with the statement about Raw and Smackdown's ppv's being separate but only in the beginning. In the last year or so before combining, they just got redundant and there wasn't really enough star power to have 6-8 good matches during a ppv. With that being said, I like having the ppv's combined with all 3 brands. The main guys who really deserve to be on ppv's make it every month, so it works.
My biggest problem would also be the build. 3 weeks just isn't enough time to build a feud properly. The possibility still remains for a feud to be great (i.e., Jericho/Michaels, Edge/Taker) but generally those really good ones aren't going on at the same time.
I would take out a few ppv's and have the following schedule:

January - Royal Rumble
March - Wrestlemania
May - Night of Champions
June - One Night Stand (gimmick ppv for WWE, but much more entertaining than TNA's Lockdown)
July - Summerslam (let's face it..the biggest party of the summer should not be in late August when summer is over)
August - No Mercy (SS rematches)
September - Cyber Sunday (another gimmick ppv and great concept, though there should be better choices in match types to make the choice less obvious)
November - Survivor Series
????December - Starrcade

So basically, I'd reshuffle a couple to new months, take out Backlash, Judgment Day, Vengeance, and Unforgiven which serve no purpose and Great American Bash which is just there for namesake. And last I'd add Starrcade if you want a namesake one and make it really sold as a big one. I'd like it to be in December like it was for the most part, but the only problem would be it would be 3 big ppv's in a row with Survivor Series and Royal Rumble.

I Agree Scrap Backlash,judgment Day, American Bash, Unforgiven,no Mercy These All Suck Every Year They Have Them. Backlash Gives You The Same Matches As Wm. Judgment Day Is Always Filler Matches. Amrican Bash Is Not Bad But Just There Like You Said For Namesake. Unforgiven Has Sucked Every Year. This Year Is Good Example. No Mercy Is Not Bad But Again One You Dont Need. Vince Is Making Feuds Suck. He Is Ruining Fans From Caring About Paper Views Except The Big 4. Vince Pushes The Same Old People At Every Paperview. Its Getting Boring And Old Fast.

I like the spacing that DiamondInTheRough gives above, but I don't think that removing No Way Out is a good idea. I like having it as part of the 'Road To Wrestlemania', it gives them a chance to throw a curve ball before the big show, and to set up stuff for the title match that wasn't covered by the Royal Rumble (as has happened in recent years). And if you want to remove GAB etc... because it's just a name then why throw Starcade in there? It'd be exactly the same, just a name taken from WCW for the sake of history. Loosing Backlash is a good idea, the only time I can remember it being worth while is the year the Goldberg took on The Rock in a dream match. I also don't agree that SummerSlam should be in July, August says summer to me a lot more than July (but that might just from school holidays as a kid).

I think most people would agree that there are way too many ppv's going right now. I agree with the statement about Raw and Smackdown's ppv's being separate but only in the beginning. In the last year or so before combining, they just got redundant and there wasn't really enough star power to have 6-8 good matches during a ppv. With that being said, I like having the ppv's combined with all 3 brands. The main guys who really deserve to be on ppv's make it every month, so it works.
My biggest problem would also be the build. 3 weeks just isn't enough time to build a feud properly. The possibility still remains for a feud to be great (i.e., Jericho/Michaels, Edge/Taker) but generally those really good ones aren't going on at the same time.
I would take out a few ppv's and have the following schedule:

January - Royal Rumble
March - Wrestlemania
May - Night of Champions
June - One Night Stand (gimmick ppv for WWE, but much more entertaining than TNA's Lockdown)
July - Summerslam (let's face it..the biggest party of the summer should not be in late August when summer is over)
August - No Mercy (SS rematches)
September - Cyber Sunday (another gimmick ppv and great concept, though there should be better choices in match types to make the choice less obvious)
November - Survivor Series
????December - Starrcade

So basically, I'd reshuffle a couple to new months, take out Backlash, Judgment Day, Vengeance, and Unforgiven which serve no purpose and Great American Bash which is just there for namesake. And last I'd add Starrcade if you want a namesake one and make it really sold as a big one. I'd like it to be in December like it was for the most part, but the only problem would be it would be 3 big ppv's in a row with Survivor Series and Royal Rumble.

Four big pay per views in a row actually, Wrestlemania comes after the Royal Rumble.

As for having too many PPV, I guess as long as people keep buying them, then there is the right amount of shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back