Is The Freebirds Exclusion From The HOF A Rib On Michael Hayes?

The Brain

King Of The Ring
As we all know the Fabulous Freebirds are one of the most famous and influential groups in wrestling history. It blows my mind that they have not yet been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. I can’t figure it out. They didn’t experience their fame in the WWE but neither did Verne Gagne or Nick Bockwinkel among many other inductees. It’s not like they are on bad terms with Vince McMahon. The most famous member of the group has been a steady employee of WWE for the past 18 years. Michael Hayes doesn’t need a special invitation or air fare or anything special. He’s already there anyway.

I have been wrongfully predicting the Freebirds induction for several years now. After their arch rivals, the Von Erich family got inducted a few years ago I assumed the Freebirds would finally get their spot the next year. Wrong again. The following year I was sure they would get in. WrestleMania was in Atlanta, the home of Badstreet, in 2011. I think I posted on this forum I would bet my house the Freebirds would be inducted in Atlanta. Lucky for me no one took me up on that wager. What is the hold up here?

The only thing I can think of at this point is WWE is just ribbing Hayes by not putting him in. Hayes is a regular member of the Legends of Wrestling round table discussion on Classics on Demand. Other regulars include Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler, Dusty Rhodes, Pat Patterson, and host Mean Gene Okerlund. Okerlund, a hall of famer himself, always introduces the panel as “WWE hall of famer” before getting to Michael Hayes. They all give a friendly chuckle about Hayes not being in before stating that he should be. Hayes himself even said if it didn’t happen in Atlanta it’s not going to happen. I’m really starting to think that the Freebirds being left out of the HOF is simply a rib on Hayes from Vince. What other possible reason is there for leaving them out?

With mania being in the New Orleans Superdome next year I think this might finally be the year for the Freebirds (when will I learn?) The Superdome was a big venue for the Freebirds and Louisiana was a major part of the Mid South territory where the Freebirds starred in the early 80s. They have to get in eventually, right?

Hard to believe Vince has the time to "rib" Michael Hayes. But this is a head scratcher. Both of the Freebirds main rivals the Von Erichs and the Road Warriors are in. I'll be honest. You have me on this one...the ONLY thing I can think of it MIGHT have something to do with the Freebirds failed WWF run in 1984. I think Vince bet big on the Freebirds and wanted them in the WWF in a bad way....and then they stumbled and fell flat on their faces due to intoxication issues...Hard to believe though that Vince has held a grudge for 30 years.

Hard to believe Vince has the time to "rib" Michael Hayes. But this is a head scratcher. Both of the Freebirds main rivals the Von Erichs and the Road Warriors are in. I'll be honest. You have me on this one...the ONLY thing I can think of it MIGHT have something to do with the Freebirds failed WWF run in 1984. I think Vince bet big on the Freebirds and wanted them in the WWF in a bad way....and then they stumbled and fell flat on their faces due to intoxication issues...Hard to believe though that Vince has held a grudge for 30 years.

I can't be a grudge from 30 years ago. Vince has forgiven people that have done FAR worse than the Freebirds falling flat. Plus Hayes has had a good job with WWE for 18 years now so I highly doubt there would be any hard feelings. I know it sounds ridiculous that it's a rib but I'm really starting to think that's it. Vince has plenty of time to rib Hayes because it doesn't take any time not to induct him. We all have time to not do stuff.

The Freebirds are the most overrated wrestling stable in history. Selling out a few chicken houses in texas does not qualify one for an hall of fame induction in my opinion. If we are going to induct mid card tag teams from wcw then we might as well put the american males in the hall of fame as well. Scotty Rigs deserves it just as much as Michael Hayes.

Maybe he's waiting for the Freebirds DVD? LOL. Isn't that what he did with Gagne to boost History of the AWA DVD sales? In all honesty though...it might have something to do with the Freebirds not achieving their main success in the WWE. I'd have to go back to look if their are similar cases where a wrestler or team were inducted and didn't have ties to the WWF without some financial incentive to put them in.

only reason i can think of is that since hayes is currently employed with the wwe, Vince feels that its more likely that their relationship won't sour over time and that he'd rather set out making amends and inducting people like Bruno and soon to be Warrior whom have burnt many a bridge with vince over the years.

Hayes and the freebirds will get in over time, better to probably try and induct people with whom wwe has a more inconsistent relationship with, as you don't know how long they'll remain on good terms with the wwe for

I think just to really be an asshole Vince would rather induct Terry Gordy, Jimmy Garvin and Buddy Jack as the Freebirds and Hayes in his lame, stuck in the 80's persona Dok Hendrix seperately.

All kidding aside, I too cannot begin to understand why they haven't been added into the hall yet especially since many of their fellow teams or singles from that time period worth a damn have received their recognition and induction.

It goes without saying that eventually they'll be added but the fact that it hasn't happened yet is a head scratcher!

It comes down to one thing...LIVE MIC
He has been known to make some...well UN PC remarks and with the HOF already known as the site of much carousing and drinking they are worried about letting him have a live mic (Just look at Flair at Summerslam)

If you watch the Legends Of Wrestling, ye it does come off as a rib, their non-induction. But I do think they'll be in there soon. Who do we have for 30 so far? Paul Bearer, possibly The Undertaker. Maybe Kane.

DX is going in I think. They can throw in the freebirds as the stable induction this year really. But its the big 30 and Hunter is in charge of all things fancy.

They're holding out until Sean Connery agrees to induct them. So far, only Christopher Lambert is willing to do it, and as asad as it is, he isn't the star he was during the 80's.

I don't know if it's a rib, but there has to be something that is preventing them. I think that it could just be that they don't want to have 2 groups as similar as the Freebirds and the Horseman(an upscale, 'classy' version of the Freebirds) in together. Maybe someone went in only after making McMahon agree not to induct them until he/she/they were dead.
Or it could just be that for all the 'influence' people talk about the freebirds having, they aren't necessarily known enough outside of the older fans and those few who take the time to look up the older eras. Someone joked about it, but it could be as simple as waiting for some kind of promotional/pr issue. Is Hendrick the only one still alive, or are they all/mostly still around? Maybe some of the others don't want to go in for some reason, and just haven't been as vocal about their refusal as Bruno was for so long.

The thing I could imagine is that Hayes himself keeps pushing it back because he doesn't want to appear to be too vain, seeing as he is in the committe that decides who gets in. Just like Vince vetos his own induction year in, year out.

My other guess is it's mostly a matter of convenience. They know they can always call upon the freebirds, seeing as one of them is readily at hand at all times. They'll induct them in a year when the HOF headliner is relatively unspectacular and they need a good group to make up for it (kinda like 2007 when Dusty Rhodes headlined and they included the Late Curt Hennig, JR and Jerry Lawler).

Either way I don't think there is any ribbing or malevolence involved. The Freebirds are definitely going in the HoF eventually, so no hurry. Matter of fact it's good to let it wait. They keep hotshotting guys (as WWE is prone to do anyway) and induct them way too early. Best example is Edge.

The Freebirds are the most overrated wrestling stable in history. Selling out a few chicken houses in texas does not qualify one for an hall of fame induction in my opinion. If we are going to induct mid card tag teams from wcw then we might as well put the american males in the hall of fame as well. Scotty Rigs deserves it just as much as Michael Hayes.

OK my head just blew up from reading this.
Are you serious? The Freebirds are one of the greatest teams in the history of professional wrestling right up there with The Road Warriors. They were super successful, revolutionary, fresh, exciting, and bad ass.

I don't know if it's a rib or not, but I would hope not. That's no way to treat someone who has given tons to wrestling and to the company from a backstage standpoint. Especially since everyone knows he wants to be in the Hall of Fame. I think they deserve to go into the Hall of Fame and will most likely enter next year before WM30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back