Is Sting Quietly Leaving TNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
We really haven't heard much from him outside that little comment about having to take care of entitlement weeks ago (hell, it might have been a month now), and his last public message via his Facebook page (well, second to last, if you discount the Thanksgiving one) was pretty cryptic and unsettling if you're the kind of fan who wants him to stick around with TNA, and/or retire there:

As we quickly approach the end of November, there is much to consider for 2014.

We've seen this sort of thing in the past, and apparently he came much closer than ever before to jumping ship and joining on with WWE in 2011 or 2012 — whichever it was — and the yearly rumors are at it again.

There's no real report anything of the sort to really base this on — just my own conjecture, but it's got me thinking... is he quietly leaving TNA for a late career run, or even a one-off with WWE?

You really can't tell by this. Wrestlers have been known to flip flop on what path they're gonna take, and Sting is no different. He could have an opportunity to go to WWE, or perhaps he could be considering retirement. It's a lot to mull over no matter who you are. He's been known as the only major talent not to ever wrestle for WWF/E, but maybe he's been talking to Ric Flair about showing for Wrestlemania or something. This is speculating on my part I know. I'd like for him to stick with TNA, but I don't know what's in Sting's best interest either.

Goodness, please. For his sake.

Sting is a legendary talent that should be praised in the manner the WWE can provide, and deserves to show up at the big dance at least once.

People say he should come to WWE. I know he's a legend. But I really doubt the reaction he would get. What I mean is I doubt whether he would get a reaction as big as someone like Goldberg or a Hogan or even a Kurt Angle for that matter. So I think, it would be disrespectful to a guy like Sting.
So I wouldn't want him to come to WWE.:worship:

I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up leaving TNA. With the recent cut backs as well Sting is apparently is one of the highest paid and has a limited schedule. They might just end up not renewing his contract after his current deal is up. As others have said he's run his course and has feuded with all the top stars in TNA. There is still money to be made for him in WWE. Even if he never appeared on WWE TV they could still give him some type of merchandise deal for A new DVD, toys and the next video game.

I can't say it would surprise me at this point, and only strictly from a financial standpoint. If TNA is being put in holding mode by the Carters as it would seem, he's a large financial expense unless you put him on a TNA-style Brock Lesnar plan, at TNA rates.... and I don't think that deal really works for either party.

I wouldn't think he's under long term contract. It would be foolish to give away leverage at a time in his career when the WWE is giving him calls at the end of every year to appear at Wrestlemania. Whether he chooses to do it or not, having that leverage is important; unless Sting's on a Time Warner style deal (and I highly doubt that, too), it makes no sense for him to have signed long term.

And, let's be honest with ourselves; Sting has been in the twilight of his career for a while now. At some point, he's going to be the one that calls it quits, and if he does it in the way he's conducted his entire career, it's going to be performed with a silent grace and dignity.

That being said, Sting vs. Undertaker at WM30 would draw a LOT of eyeballs that wouldn't normally buy a Wrestlemania (mine included). The WWE would pay a LOT of money for that. TNA isn't paying a lot of money right now.

Think about it- Career vs. Career at Wrestlemania, the two legends you never thought you saw fight. Wow.

Normally this is where I make a bold prediction, get lots of shit for it, and don't bother taking credit in six months when it turns out I was spot on, but I honestly don't know if Sting is going to opt for the graceful Retirement Tour in TNA, or if he's going to go for that huge glamour match at Wrestlemania 30.

Sting has stated before that he's on a 1 year rolling contract and he makes the choice as to whether to sign or not each year. This may well be the year, and if the reports are to be believed about TNA realising all the big stars they've signed haven't really affected ratings and that now they're wanting to go in the direction of building up new stars then this might well be the year he jumps ship for one final run. There's nothing left to do in TNA, he's a legend there and the first inductee into their hall of fame.

Will the E induct Sting if he never goes to WWE? Absolutely! Don't you think Steve Borden gets royalties for every WCW and top 50 wrestlers of all time DVDs? If you haven't noticed Sting is the most prominent wrestler to never go to WWE which is why he is always highlighted in anything WCW related.

I think it would be a good time to go if I was in Stings shoes, he made it so he can never be champion again, he has only been used to rise other talents, and I think the one big match people want to see could happen Icon vs Legend, Streak vs. Sting. Its what hardcore fans keep dreaming of and I think for once Triple H and Vince would open the pocketbooks to make this match happen. Personally I think if Sting was willing to work on his physique for now, and then go to WM (ya know the whole always wearing a t-shirt thing) I could even see Sting vs. Punk or Cena which would also be huge, but only time will tell if Sting will jump ship or not.

dont know who remembers but there was a report a while ago saying wwe are very confident sting will be joining there roster in the fairly near future.there has been hundreds of sting to wwe reports in the past so i dont want to get my hopes up on this one too much but its still worth mentioning.

He should be at Wrestlemania at least once. For the fans because we've been waiting over a decade. For the WWE because they've been nothing but respectful to him over the years. For Sting himself, because every top wrestler should get the feeling of walking out at Wrestlemania in front of 70,000 or so people.

I know there's the fear that he's not relevant enough anymore, there won't be enough of the crowd who know him, let alone who are excited about him. WWE are smarter than that. They'll run vignettes or teasers. Then they debut him in Atlanta, or they debut him in New York, somewhere that knows exactly who he is. Can you imagine if Sting, the man who is Southern wrestling through and through, has his first appearance with the WWE by walking into Madison Square Garden? If there's people who don't know that he's a big deal, you make it look like a big deal on TV.

Can he go like he used to? Of course not. But throw him in there against the Undertaker, make it No DQ, have them kick out of a few finishers. See if either is willing to go through an announce table perhaps. It would be Sting's last match, and it very likely could be Undertaker's last match. Hell, maybe waiting for that match with Sting is one of the reasons Undertaker hasn't retired. But they would both want to go out with a bang, and they wouldn't disappoint.

I hope it happens, so very much.

I'll believe Sting going to WWE when I see it. This kind of talks comes about every year and every year he stays TNA one more year. I do think if he were to retire not in WWE he would still get into the WWE HOF. While he probably wouldn't get in that year he would possibly 2-5 years down the road.

I do find it interesting that he was the one member of the new Mafia who wasn't part of the Aces and Eights funeral. He was such a major player throughout the A&8s storyline that it seemed out of place to not include him in the segment, and his lack of inclusion could have been seen as "writing on the wall".

If Sting is jumping ship after the new year, I expect to see the build starting in the next couple weeks to have him face EC3 at the Final Resolution episode of Impact. He could be Carter's first legit challenge and the culmination of this run where Carter is matching himself against past "TNA legends". It would be a great way for Sting to go out, using his status to put over a young guy that the company is heavily investing in, continuing what he started by putting Magnus over at BFG. If this match were to occur with a "loser leaves TNA" type of stipulation then it gives TNA a huge match to build for that Thursday night. This would set up up EC3 to be positioned for something huge heading into the Genesis/Lockdown PPVs.

Then Sting is free and can show up at, or just before, the Rumble in time for a big build into Mania season.

We've seen this sort of thing in the past, and apparently he came much closer than ever before to jumping ship and joining on with WWE in 2011 or 2012 — whichever it was — and the yearly rumors are at it again.

The main reason why I'm not reading too much into this.

Every year two reoccurring rumors circulate as we approach Wrestlemania season:

Rumor 1: The Undertaker is too banged up. There's a slim chance he'll wrestle at Mania.

Rumor 2: Sting might jump ship to WWE.......

And every year, The Undertaker wrestles at Wrestlemania, and Sting sticks with TNA. I see no reason for things to change this year. So until I actually see Sting pop up on Raw or at the Rumble, I will never buy into the rumors, speculation, or beliefs of Sting jumping ship to TNA.

Sting has done everything he can possibly do in TNA. There's nothing left for him to conqueror there, but I always get the sense Sting is comfortable and more importantly, happy in TNA. If that's the case, let it be.

He should be at Wrestlemania at least once. For the fans because we've been waiting over a decade. For the WWE because they've been nothing but respectful to him over the years. For Sting himself, because every top wrestler should get the feeling of walking out at Wrestlemania in front of 70,000 or so people.

I know there's the fear that he's not relevant enough anymore, there won't be enough of the crowd who know him, let alone who are excited about him. WWE are smarter than that. They'll run vignettes or teasers. Then they debut him in Atlanta, or they debut him in New York, somewhere that knows exactly who he is. Can you imagine if Sting, the man who is Southern wrestling through and through, has his first appearance with the WWE by walking into Madison Square Garden? If there's people who don't know that he's a big deal, you make it look like a big deal on TV.

Can he go like he used to? Of course not. But throw him in there against the Undertaker, make it No DQ, have them kick out of a few finishers. See if either is willing to go through an announce table perhaps. It would be Sting's last match, and it very likely could be Undertaker's last match. Hell, maybe waiting for that match with Sting is one of the reasons Undertaker hasn't retired. But they would both want to go out with a bang, and they wouldn't disappoint.

I hope it happens, so very much.

I'm not really into the idea of Sting vs. Undertaker

The past few WrestleManias plus the devaluing of the current roster in general has soured me on the idea of "dream matches". I'm tired of seeing hardworking wrestlers being shoved aside for guys from the past.

Also, I think it would be better if Sting retired as "the greatest to never wrestle for WWE" than to come to WWE just to lose one match and then never wrestle again.

It's not hard to tell we are approaching the Christmas season, as the annual "Sting to WWE" rumors have begun again. The Royal Rumble and the Road to Wrestlemania must be right around the corner. Here we go again.

Except it feels a little different to me this time. Most years, when the annual rumor mill kicks into high gear, I'm pretty skeptical. A couple of years ago, when WWE aired those mystery vignettes which turned out to be the returning Undertaker (again), the first one in the series had me intrigued and thinking that Sting might be on his way up. The rest of the videos quickly made me feel otherwise, and no other rumors any other year have made me feel that Sting had finally grown a pair. Until this year.

TNA appears to be in at least some sort of financial peril. Now before Zeven or some other TNA zealot gets their nose out of joint, no, I am not privy to the financial statements of the company, and no, I am not predicting the apocalypse of the company. However, with ongoing rumors of the company being on the market, with consistent rumors of difficulty paying their "talent", and with the retreat back to pretaped shows no longer on the road, it doesn't take too much of a stretch to speculate that money may be an issue for the company. Hulk Hogan was (allegedly) allowed to leave; one can only surmise that finances were a significant part of this parting of ways, likely from both sides. Other talent has left as well. So it doesn't take too much of a leap of faith to surmise that TNA may have reached the point where they feel they can no longer afford to maintain Sting and his assumed larger contract, where they feel he doesn't provide them enough "bang for their buck" anymore. And simultaneously, Sting may have reached the point in his life and in his career where is no longer prepared to toil in obscurity and for a minimized payday. If he is planning to call it quits in the near future anyway (which you would have to assume is the case, wherever he elects to finish things up), you couldn't fault the guy for wanting to go out on the biggest stage possible for a monumental payday. A 6-12 month run, commencing with the Royal Rumble running through the better part of 2014, for big bucks, seems to me to be a mutually beneficial situation for Sting and the WWE. And he has always been a classy guy who could easily do so with no disrespect to the folks at TNA, without throwing them under the bus whatsoever in the process. Likewise, there need be no ill will from TNA directed at him either; they simply may not be able to afford him, and can truly and sincerely wish the best in this ultimate future endeavor.

Sting/Undertaker at WM30? I'm by no means holding my breath. But I do feel that it is a distinct possibility. A surprise appearance, and victory, at the Royal Rumble. But he uses his victory not to challenge for the gold, but rather, for a shot at the Undertaker and "the streak" (sorry Dagger, but I think that is both plausible and awesome). And he faces off against the Undertaker on the grandest stage of them all, and a milestone one at that. My brain has no interest whatsoever in that match. But I know in my heart, I'd be marking out like a child if that all played out in this manner. Of course he will lose, he will never be the one to end the streak. But that can happen without him looking bad at all, and he can still enjoy some degree of individual success later in his short run in WWE, possibly even against the Undertaker at a later, non-Wrestlemania event (such as in a retirement match at the Survivor Series :) ).

As much as I would love for Sting to come to the WWE, and receive the big-time respect and possible sendoff he deserves, it's kind of hard to tell at this point.

His "legend" status has kind of worn off in TNA, through no fault of his own however-just crappy booking and lack of the proper "machine" in TNA. Plus, the bloom is definitely off of the TNA rose as of the past couple of years, so they're definitely a very distant "Number Two" promotion. Sting and Kurt Angle just seem out of place.

Plus, the question for me is: is WWE interested in Sting the wrestler, or in Sting the legacy? Maybe this is a question Steve Borden is asking himself. Of course, they could finally sign off on a boatload of lucrative merchandise for him if he decides to sign on. But perhaps Sting wants them to value him as a person rather than a merch machine. Unless they give him some major bucks and a very limited schedule (much like the Undertaker's), I don't see much happening.

Also, there is the small matter of Spike TV. According to some reports months back, Spike is very high on Sting because of his perceived added value to the TNA product. So maybe the ball isn't in Sting's or even the Carters' court, it is in the network's.

Nevertheless, I am not holding my breath. However, as some have mentioned already, if there was ever a time for Sting's jump to WWE, it is now.

People say he should come to WWE. I know he's a legend. But I really doubt the reaction he would get. What I mean is I doubt whether he would get a reaction as big as someone like Goldberg or a Hogan or even a Kurt Angle for that matter. So I think, it would be disrespectful to a guy like Sting.
So I wouldn't want him to come to WWE.:worship:

I have to agree. I wouldn't call it disrespectful (and I think Goldberg would get the same reaction, for the same reasons.) As far as the WWE audience is concerned, Sting has been out of the big leagues since 2002. TNA, Japan, whatever. I don't mean that to be disrespectful to TNA, it's just that a big part of the WWE audience pays no attention to TNA.

10 years is a long time in wrestling. Bruno Sammartino left WWF for the last time in 1988. If he had walked into a ring in 1998, would there have been a huge reaction? Or some polite applause?

WWE might make the move anyway--Vince McMAhon, HHH, Undertaker might not even realize how time has moved on. The reality will sink in when it's time to put together the video packages to introduce STing to the new generation, and they realize that they only STing opponents that the new fans recognize are Hogan and Flair.

WWE might make the move anyway--Vince McMAhon, HHH, Undertaker might not even realize how time has moved on. The reality will sink in when it's time to put together the video packages to introduce STing to the new generation, and they realize that they only STing opponents that the new fans recognize are Hogan and Flair.

They'd recognize Austin. And he might have had a match or two with Edge back in 1993/4. Not to mention Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, Booker T, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, DDP, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall.

They'd recognize Austin.

They'd recognize STone Cold. They'd barely recognize STunning Steve Austin from the Hollywood Blondes, the incarnation that fought Sting 20 years ago.

And he might have had a match or two with Edge back in 1993/4. Not to mention Randy Savage, [/quote]

Not seen by the WWE audience since WCW folded.

Roddy Piper,

Has appeared from time to time on WWE TV over the last decade.

But did he have any big matches or big moments vs Sting?

Booker T, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero,

Again, how many big matches vs STing did these guys have?

Not to mention Benoit's close-to-unmentionable status, and Eddie being 8 years gone.

DDP, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall.

Nash is the only one on WWE TV in the last 10 years, and how big an impact did he have in 2011? Not much.

Thnk about STing's legendary status, and you think of Sting-Flair, Sting vs the NWO, Sting-Hogan, Nash, etc. That's all a very long time ago. It has no connection to anyone at the top of the WWE roster today. Which makes it a big job to explain it to the younger half of the WWE audience.

I think what makes it the most compelling this time, is that it's wrestlemania 30 and it's got to be huge. If it's anything after, I could only see him being in the HOF. The only match for me, would be against Undertaker and to make it even more significant, would have it be his only match.

Stings super legend status becomes every year more and more thinner. Crappy booking in TNA (they should had treated him like WWE does with Taker and not job to Magnus or even EC3 and all the others). Plus he becomes older every year. Younger WWE fans probably do not even know who he is!!! He should had left TNA years ago... i dont know why he is still there wasting the last years of his career. I was a very big Sting fan through the 90s. But i feel sorry for the way he screwed his legend status. WWE still treats him very well. They mention him very often on TV and ofcourse they treat him with respect in every WCW DVD etc. But even to a Sting fan like myself... he is nothing to be excited anymore. He is moving very slow, his body looks like shit (i hate him wearing T Shirts to hide it) and i am not sure anymore if it isnt too late now for a BIG return. I mean... i am not sure if people would go crazy to see him.

And Taker Vs Sting? Taker would never agree to drop the streak to Sting. And i dont believe that Sting would agree to come back just to have his ass getting kicked by the Undertaker! Well... maybe if he came back at the Rumble and they let him beat in a singles match a big WWE star like Jericho, Kane or even HHH and then challenge Taker for the streak and loose. But i doubt that this will happen.

I am afraid he will stay again in TNA and in 5 years when he is even older and fatter he is gonna beg Vince to give him one last match in the WWE and then get added to the (real) HOF!

Stings super legend status becomes every year more and more thinner. Crappy booking in TNA (they should had treated him like WWE does with Taker and not job to Magnus or even EC3 and all the others). Plus he becomes older every year. Younger WWE fans probably do not even know who he is!!! He should had left TNA years ago... i dont know why he is still there wasting the last years of his career. I was a very big Sting fan through the 90s. But i feel sorry for the way he screwed his legend status. WWE still treats him very well. They mention him very often on TV and ofcourse they treat him with respect in every WCW DVD etc. But even to a Sting fan like myself... he is nothing to be excited anymore. He is moving very slow, his body looks like shit (i hate him wearing T Shirts to hide it) and i am not sure anymore if it isnt too late now for a BIG return. I mean... i am not sure if people would go crazy to see him.

And Taker Vs Sting? Taker would never agree to drop the streak to Sting. And i dont believe that Sting would agree to come back just to have his ass getting kicked by the Undertaker! Well... maybe if he came back at the Rumble and they let him beat in a singles match a big WWE star like Jericho, Kane or even HHH and then challenge Taker for the streak and loose. But i doubt that this will happen.

I am afraid he will stay again in TNA and in 5 years when he is even older and fatter he is gonna beg Vince to give him one last match in the WWE and then get added to the (real) HOF!

I think this is pretty bias what you said, yes tna has been crappy, but I am tired of tna being treated like it is a cancer, but then people say it is irrelevant, then how on earth does it destroy his status being in a company that you and others claim no one knows of tna, then how is his legacy destroyed. Plus tna has done nothing but push the man I mean by god, he won their world title so many times, yet, they treated him badly according to you, no that is called putting people over, and sting did it. Plus I bet your one of the ones who gripes TNA RIPS OFF WWE, but then you call for TNA TO RIP OFF WWE, tna needs to be different, beating sting is a way to get those guys over, are they as legendary as sting, no, but think about this, in wwe they can afford to have taker beat guys and do what he does because he has a streak, and plus there are other stars like Cena who can put young guys over, tna does not have that many big stars to do that. Yes it might sound horrible that Sting has to lose to Magnus or EC3, but tna is struggling, they cannot afford to just have sting win the matches, they have given people a chance to relive their childhoods for to long, they need to get these guys over because Sting is going to retire soon and angle and hardy do not have long left. Tna does not have obligation to have you relive your childhood or the past, they have an obligation to stay in business to themselves and their few but loyal fans that they have, that means having to push these wrestlers you don't like. Plus your not going to like the likes of any non ex wwe or wcw wrestler anyways why should they listen to people who say "YOU NEED TO PUSH THE EX WWE GUYS, THE TNA PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES", when they push the ex wwe guys "OH WHY ARE THEY BURYING THEIR OWN TALENT AND PUSHING WWE Rejects". Also "Real HOF", so tna's that inducted Sting and kurt angle only, wwe inducts drew carey, I mean come on you have to admit your very biased against tna.

I'm going to hazard a guess here and say no, Sting isn't quietly leaving TNA. He might be gone for a while, but that's to heal up a bit.

He's almost assuredly not going to WWE to wrestle. He will most likely never wrestle for the WWE. He might get inducted into their hall of fame for his work in WCW, but that's about it.

And that's okay. He doesn't need the WWE, and the WWE doesn't need him. 15 years ago, people would have gone apeshit for Sting in the WWE. Now, a fairly large percentage of their viewing audience would have no clue who he even is.

And none of that is to say that Sting isn't a great wrestler. He clearly is (more was these days, but that's beside the point). It's just that the last time Sting was any kind of huge draw was over a decade ago. For a different company, in a much different time. Had he spent time in WWE previously, sure, it'd be great to see him back, but we know that's not the case.

Besides, Sting's biggest calling card is the biggest/best wrestler to never work for the WWE. He's managed to carve out an unbelievable career doing that. There is a great amount of honor being able to do your own thing for as long as he has.

Stings original deal with TNA is up at the end of the month.... if he were to re-sign a contract... it would involve a huge paycut, considering TNA's current finanical woes.
Sting is one of the highest paid members of the roster... and despite being one of its high profile stars, and being well liked by the Carters... money is money and business is business.
Hogan left for similar reasons.... he was too expensive to keep for the limited appearances he had.

I wouldn't want Sting to sign with the WWE just to lose to Undertaker.
A match with two 50 somethings wouldn't live up to the Mania spectacle.... and persoanlly I prefer Sting to Taker... and don't want to see Sting used as cannonfodder to feed the streak another year

We really haven't heard much from him outside that little comment about having to take care of entitlement weeks ago (hell, it might have been a month now), and his last public message via his Facebook page (well, second to last, if you discount the Thanksgiving one) was pretty cryptic and unsettling if you're the kind of fan who wants him to stick around with TNA, and/or retire there:

There's no real report anything of the sort to really base this on — just my own conjecture, but it's got me thinking... is he quietly leaving TNA for a late career run, or even a one-off with WWE?

If you watched last night's episode of Impact Wrestling, we got our answer. Sting is back with TNA. In all honesty, I knew already because I read the spoiler a week ago. ;):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back