Is Bruno Sammartino right to turn down the WWE Hall of Fame 2013?

Ding_Dong_#2

World of Sport British Heavyweight
It goes without saying that Bruno Sammartino is the biggest, outstanding omission from the WWE Hall of Fame.

After "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers, the WWWF still wasn't a major player in the market and needed someone credible who could carry the federation. Bruno Sammartino was that man.

People will talk about Superstar Billy Graham and Hulk Hogan but, without Bruno, there was no foundation for them to start with. Every company has always needed someone to initially give the promotion some status and credibility, even back as far as Ed "Strangler" Lewis and Lou Thesz and, after losing Buddy Rogers, Bruno was the man to do it.

So, for what is probably the umpteenth time, Bruno has turned down the 2013 Hall of Fame induction invite. His feelings on the current product are well known but this is the company that gave him and his family a very comfortable lifestyle - whatever he feels, they put food on his table for a long time and he still continues to make money today based on a reputation that the WWWF/WWE gave him.

Is he right to do it? Even Bret Hart, after the way he was treated & what happened to Owen, still appreciated that it was a celebration of his career and a thank you from his peers.

I think anybody has the right to reject the HOF, as much as I enjoy the ceremony each year.

I think Bruno should be in there, for all he achieved in the business and how he paved the way for the stars to come, but he is perfectly in his rights to refuse entry if he feels angry with how the product has changed over the years.

He obviously doesn't crave the adoration of the fans as he is turning down the chance to be applauded and celebrated in front of people who appreciate what he did for wrestling during his career, rather than being desperate for one last moment in the spotlight like so many others.

Personally, I would like to see him accept Vince's offer of entry into the class of 2013, as there will always be a Sammartino sized hole in the HOF while he is not in there, which is a damm shame. It is understandable that he dislikes the product now but in my opinion, which I think he is failing to see, is that the HOF celebrates what has been achieved in the past, and ensuring that people do not forget legends who paved the way, of which Bruno is one, rather than the current product.

However, I don't think we will ever see Bruno in the HOF until after he passes, and then it will be his family's decision whether he will go in. Shame

I don't think it is a matter of right or wrong. I guess he is just doing what he believes is right. He should definitely be in there without a doubt, but for his own reasons he doesn't want to go in. He has stood his ground for a while now so I am guessing he won't go in until at least after his passing when it will become his family's choice.

If Bruno doesn't want in, then that's his choice. Whether we think he's "right or wrong" doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

From a personal perspective, I'd like to see Bruno accept it someday. His accolades more than justify. The man has the single longest, undisputed run with a World Championship in pro wrestling history. He was THE guy in WWE for the better part of a decade & a half.

Not that this matters in the slightest, but I'm a little disappointed in Bruno for holding onto old grudges for this long. From what I understand, based on what I've read about him over the years, Sammartino is not a forgiving or understanding person. The last I heard, he basically threw his son David out of his life after David told him that he'd done marijuana and steroids and that's been a very long time ago. I can understand someone being upset to hear about their son taking drugs but, to me, you just don't toss your kid out like an empty potato chip bag. Comparatively speaking, it's not as though his son did anything horrible. He didn't go on a shootin rampage or act as a coke mule for Pablo Escobar. If Sammartino won't forgive his son for something as relatively trivial as shooting a few roids and smoking some grass, then he'll take his grudge with Vince to the grave.

Bruno hated the Attitude Era product. Bruno (and many other old school guys) thought that it was trash TV and not even wrestling. I think Bruno should watch the current product and see how much cleaner and more wrestling oriented it is. Maybe he has though and still doesn't like the direction.

Either way, it's his decision.

You have to admire the man for standing up for what he believes in. However, it is a damn shame that he will probably never be inducted into WWE's HOF. Not at least while he's alive to see it. Who knows? Maybe Triple H will keep talking to Bruno and he'll accept next year[if he's still alive].

it is entirely up to him to say he is not interested. that does not mean that the wwe can not still induct him but if he does not want to be there, he has the right. one thing about the hall of fame that people forget is that it is not decided by fans or by fellow wrestlers, it is decided by vince. if bruno does not feel like he needs that nod of approval from vince, then there is no reason for him to go to the hall of fame

I don’t know. It’s not really for us to say or judge. So he and the old timers didn’t like the product and what was going on. We did. How come older wrestlers have to like it for it to be creditable? We give VKM shit on it all the time on it’s his way and everything goes by him. There was wrestling. Now don’t get me wrong it wasn’t like wrestling when Bruno wrestled. But it hasn’t been since his era. He was in the days an hour long wrestling matches. It’s not the day, did you really want to see an hour long match with Hogan in his day. He had less moves then what Cena has now. If he doesn’t want to go in fine. I mean the people that watched him are either dead or on the way out anyway. Just saying you shouldn’t bite the hand that feeds you or fed you.

In WWE is all about a thing of 'Honoring The Past'. Pssh -yeah right. If it was all about honor a lot of guys should already be in there. Bruno is one of the guys who is certainly the best in the business. His feelings on the current product and his dispute with Vince have their foundation, but he is the guy that most casual fans don't really know, because he was in WWE so long ago and did not wear a flashy outfit, say a catch phrase or become a movie star. If he doesn't go into the HOF, He'll probably be forgotten by the masses or be remembered as the guy who had a big fight with Vince and WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back