Int'l Region, Montreal Subregion, First Round:(16) Antonino Rocca vs.(17)Carlos Colon

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Antonino Rocca

• Carlos Colon

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Montreal Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules. It will be held at Bell Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

CentreBell.jpg

antoniorocca.jpg

#16. Antonino Rocca

Vs.

1763570-carloscolon001.jpg

#17. Carlos Colon

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Rocca was the star that breathed new life into the Northeast after years of slow business there. WWE and their fans owe him a debt, because without him there might not have been enough momentum in the territory for an eventual expansion. He was one of wrestling's top stars and was one of the first forerunners of the modern show wrestling style that the WWE pushes now. Not a shooter by any means, but he was flexible enough to slap people in the face with his feet.

Carlos Colon was the face of Caribbean wrestling. However he was mostly confined there his whole career, like Jerry Lawler, while Rocca toured all over the Northeast and world under the Capitol Wrestling banner.

$_35.JPG

Also Rocca defeated Superman. I thinks that shows how popular and influential he was on the general public. I don't think Rocca is in too much trouble, so I'll save the core arguments for later.

Vote Rocca.

$_35.JPG

Also Rocca defeated Superman. I thinks that shows how popular and influential he was on the general public. I don't think Rocca is in too much trouble, so I'll save the core arguments for later.

Vote Rocca.

Damn it, I was going to use this argument. It's been my first round argument for Rocca since I got here. I'll have to pull out my second favorite Rocca fact. He was so agile and flexible, that he could slap people in the face...with his feet. If you think getting slapped is insulting, try getting slapped in the face by a foot....fuck you used that argument too. Way to leave me hanging brah.

Colon was a big deal in Puerto Rico, which is cool I guess, but Rocca was a big deal in not only the US but in his native Italy as well. Plus he loved opera. If you have the balls to admit you enjoy opera while slapping dudes in the face with your feet, you deserve the nod.

Rocca moved to Argentina as a child, and billed as an Argentinian so I doubt he was a big deal in Italy, but I may be proven wrong on that.

Anyway, this is a match between two regional big names, and I'm going with the one who worked a bigger region and is still actually entertaining to watch back, despite wrestling at a very different time, and that's Rocca.

Rocca is probably my favourite guy of his era. I adore his matches and always thought he deserved a better run in this tournament. I'd hope he gets off to a good start here. Carlos is definitely fine - I'm a big advocate of including regional guys in the tournament (and he's pinned flair~!) but this should absolutely be as far as he gets.

There may be some questions about a few of the older participants in this tournament and their ability to perform in a modern setting - not Rocca. I'm absolutely convinced he'd be a main eventer in WWE today with VERY few tweaks. and he'd be one of the most popular in the world still.

The one SLIGHT concern (and it's really slight) is his win-loss against the greatest. Overall record of 8-15 against Buddy Rogers, 0-5 against Lou Thesz. In all due respect to Carlos Colon, he is the level that Rocca was entirely dominant against. He's not a guy that lost often, it really took the elite to expose him. Longson/Flair next round is an interesting one, i'll be looking into that in detail at the time rather than blindly voting for a guy I adore, but for now he'll put on a show and cruise through.

Rocca moved to Argentina as a child, and billed as an Argentinian so I doubt he was a big deal in Italy, but I may be proven wrong on that.

Anyway, this is a match between two regional big names, and I'm going with the one who worked a bigger region and is still actually entertaining to watch back, despite wrestling at a very different time, and that's Rocca.

I think a more accurate thing to have said was he was big in Italian markets. He had a big following in both Italian and Latin markets due to his upbringing.

Have heard about both but not nearly enough to vote based on either guy's merits during their respective careers. Therefore, I have decided to give Colon a rep for being 'from the Caribbean'. :)

Oh, and the fact that he is being squashed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back