Int'l Region, Fargo Subregion, Second Round: (6) Terry Funk vs. (11) Rey Mysterio

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Terry Funk

• Rey Mysterio

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the International Region, Fargo Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under International Rules. It will be held at Fargodome in Fargo, North Dakota.

350x200_73.jpg

tumblr_n7zwuewB8s1qzx70zo1_1280.jpg

#6. Terry Funk
Vs.

Rey-Mysterio-rey-mysterio-22462048-364-450.jpg

#11. Rey Mysterio

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Terry Funk was NWA world champion for about 2 and a half years, where he drew huge numbers. Then he ventured into hardcore wrestling where he again drew huge numbers. Terry was easily the more versatile of the two, proving that he could excel wrestling different styles in a variety of different mediums. Rey Mysterio was largely a cruiserweight star until he was given his big break [in place of his friend who died] where he wasn't dominant as a world champion. At least to his credit he won the world title a second time, so I can't really say he was unpopular.

Otherwise Rey has bounced around all aspects of the card, while Funk remained a headliner wherever he went. I think in the grand scheme of things Rey Rey is a tad bit underappreciated, and maybe I have been underestimating him. But here he's up against Terry Funk, one of the most well known and versatile wrestlers in the industry. I cannot feasibly vote for him. If he was Mil Mascaras, probably. But he's not.

Going with Terry Funk.

I have a feeling a lot of the posts in here will belittle Mysterio's accomplishments a little. Yes, Funk was a massively successful champion, and yes he has since proven to have remarkable career resilience, but Mysterio is a truly one in a million talent. He is tiny, he can't really do anything on the microphone, yet his in ring ability and style was such that he was completely adored by the audience. Look, Funk is a huge name and if he wins, so be it, but through more heart than head, I think I'm going Mysterio.

I have a feeling a lot of the posts in here will belittle Mysterio's accomplishments a little. Yes, Funk was a massively successful champion, and yes he has since proven to have remarkable career resilience, but Mysterio is a truly one in a million talent. He is tiny, he can't really do anything on the microphone, yet his in ring ability and style was such that he was completely adored by the audience. Look, Funk is a huge name and if he wins, so be it, but through more heart than head, I think I'm going Mysterio.

Mysterio was completely adored by the fans because of his marketing. It had very little to do with his wrestling. He was toted as a top crusierweight that for years would have had no chance against larger opponents. And once he did start beating big guys like Kane and Big Show nobody took it seriously. It would have been one thing if he was some technical wizard with legit skills to beat those giants down, but he's not. He was some high flyer that met his match many times against both brawlers and scientific wrestlers. Terry Funk was both. And was better to boot. He should win.

Don't let the heart sway you Tasty. Vote with your head.

Forever! Forever! Forever!

That promo alone would have me vote Funk over Rey, let alone that he held the NWA title forever, won the ECW World Heavyweight Championship, was a huge draw all over the Earth, has a far greater longevity, and is the kind of guy that would beat up Rey.

I like Rey a lot. He's super important, but I'd argue that Funk was better and more important.

Vote Funker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back