IMPACT Wrestling LD for 02.28.13

:shrug: It is just as hard to teach a big guy to adequately entertain as it is to cultivate an acceptable persona/look in a smaller guy in the current state of wrestling.

Any big guy who is trained to wrestle can be booked as a power guy but that's not the point. The point is that a smaller guy has to show more before being accepted by fans. Average fans buy that a 6'5" 275 pound guy can beat a 6 foot 200 pound guy without knowing anything else. You don't buy a 5'7" guy winning matches right off the bat. Thus, you can't teach size.

I also thought it was hilarious that for months nobody had any clue where Aces and Eights were hiding yet it took Angle 5 minutes to find the place which apparently is about 500 feet from the Impact Zone. Seriously, NOBODY thought to follow them or to check the place with the "keep out" sign for months?

I also thought it was hilarious that for months nobody had any clue where Aces and Eights were hiding yet it took Angle 5 minutes to find the place which apparently is about 500 feet from the Impact Zone. Seriously, NOBODY thought to follow them or to check the place with the "keep out" sign for months?
They moved from an undisclosed clubhouse to a bar.

Any big guy who is trained to wrestle can be booked as a power guy but that's not the point. The point is that a smaller guy has to show more before being accepted by fans. Average fans buy that a 6'5" 275 pound guy can beat a 6 foot 200 pound guy without knowing anything else. You don't buy a 5'7" guy winning matches right off the bat. Thus, you can't teach size.

The average fan knows the matches are scripted though. It is an entertainment industry. Athleticism is more important than muscles now.

The average fan knows the matches are scripted though. It is an entertainment industry. Athleticism is more important than muscles now.

Yeah it's scripted, but there still has to be a believability factor. Why do you think Rey Mysterio as a champion was an adjunct failure? Nobody believed he could beat big people. Fans should only have to suspend disbelief so much.

Again though, you're changing the argument for your liking. The point is that a bigger guy can gain credibility a lot easier than a smaller guy upon debut simply because of their size. If the average wrestling fan saw two guys debut in the same night with no promos or anything and one was 6'5" 275 and the other 5'8" 180 pounds, who is the crowd going to see as more of a threat?

Yeah it's scripted, but there still has to be a believability factor. Why do you think Rey Mysterio as a champion was an adjunct failure? Nobody believed he could beat big people. Fans should only have to suspend disbelief so much.

Again though, you're changing the argument for your liking. The point is that a bigger guy can gain credibility a lot easier than a smaller guy upon debut simply because of their size. If the average wrestling fan saw two guys debut in the same night with no promos or anything and one was 6'5" 275 and the other 5'8" 180 pounds, who is the crowd going to see as more of a threat?

People don't debut like that anymore though and in a matter of weeks if you can't entertain they will be bored with you. The amount of shows necessitates almost immediate ability to entertain. Why was Rey a failure? The crowds don't care about it like it is a shoot fight anymore. It is about cheering for people you like.

People don't debut like that anymore though and in a matter of weeks if you can't entertain they will be bored with you. The amount of shows necessitates almost immediate ability to entertain. Why was Rey a failure? The crowds don't care about it like it is a shoot fight anymore. It is about cheering for people you like.

Did you watch during Rey's reign? It didn't work. Crowds reacted less and less to him and ratings went down on Smackdown.

Obviously you need to "entertain" but that can be done in many different ways. Going back to the Ryback situation, the dude beat up jobbers in 1 minute flat and yelled random stuff. One random thing for some reason caught on with the crowd. Now tell me, would a guy Rey's size be able to get over that quickly by doing that little?

Hint: If you answer yes, you're just trying to be an asshole.

Did you watch during Rey's reign? It didn't work. Crowds reacted less and less to him and ratings went down on Smackdown.

I loved that storyline. Don't know much about ratings for it all but generally speaking Rey makes WWE good money.

Obviously you need to "entertain" but that can be done in many different ways. Going back to the Ryback situation, the dude beat up jobbers in 1 minute flat and yelled random stuff. One random thing for some reason caught on with the crowd. Now tell me, would a guy Rey's size be able to get over that quickly by doing that little?

You can entertain in many ways but you want to constrict it to one situation that has truly worked as intended a handful of times at best? Interesting parameters. I don't know if I have ever seen anyone "taught" main event promo skills.

Not a bad show. Liked the return of EY, even if I've never been a fan of his. Ivelese was good in her match as well.

I loved that storyline. Don't know much about ratings for it all but generally speaking Rey makes WWE good money.

You can entertain in many ways but you want to constrict it to one situation that has truly worked as intended a handful of times at best? Interesting parameters. I don't know if I have ever seen anyone "taught" main event promo skills.

Sometimes you don't need them. Batista managed to get there with minimal ability on the microphone and was the most over guy on the roster for a while. Goldberg certainly didn't fail to entertain while saying nothing. Brock Lesnar wasn't and still isn't much of a talker, the British Bulldog did quite well for himself without talking well. There's plenty more where that came from too.

The point is, these guys can and did get over by doing impressive things and what they do still works today. Ryback got over in mere months and got title shots due to crowd response. It still works. Now obviously other guys can get over too and they do, but it's not as though the big guys can't get over in today's wrestling anymore. They still can and do.

You're still avoiding the point though. While big guys can go out and show off power which is a tried and true method of getting over, smaller guys need a gimmick or plus mic skills or something to get over. Thus, they need to bring more to the table. That point hasn't changed.

If power is "tried and true" why are most big men in WWE playing goofy giants?

Smaller guys don't need more, they just need something different.

My goodness I don't care about Aces and 8's. They've been saying the same stuff for months now and at the end of the day, I have no reason to care about them. We've seen this same story so many times now and it's hard to care.

I bet you are interested who Angle unmasked

Hint: If you answer yes, you're just trying to be an asshole.

It probably didn't help that Rey was beaten like a drum after he became champion.

Also, did you miss Rey Mysterio debuting in WCW in 1996, of are you being intentionally obtuse. Because it seems he got pretty over

It probably didn't help that Rey was beaten like a drum after he became champion.

Also, did you miss Rey Mysterio debuting in WCW in 1996, of are you being intentionally obtuse. Because it seems he got pretty over

Rey was fantastic at that time, but it was known that he was a cruiserweight and that's all he'd be there. There wasn't a thought of him going higher on the card so it didn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back