Impact Wrestling, Hardys Embroiled in Nasty Legal Battle Over "Broken" Universe

But as I said had Steve opted to continue wrestling and went to another promotion he would've either had to go back to stunning or some other moniker but since he retired from the business and went Hollywood Vince is all right with it since it gives him good cred in the wood.

When Austin did the TV series "Nash Bridges" and did films (like "The Expendables") he was still referred to as "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Besides, didn't Austin create the "Stone Cold" moniker (actually Jeannie Adams, his wife at the time, came up with it). So I don't know how WWE can own the IP on it.

If I was sought after as a wrestler, one of my conditions is that I get to keep my IP, and loan it out to the company. Once I leave, I take my IP with me, since I created it, to the next company.

I don't see why TNA still want the "Broken" gimmick. They can't use it, since the Hardys have left. They are just doing this out of spite, no other reason.

Anyway, WWE should pay TNA for the "Broken" gimmick, as Vince will soon get his money back, both from the "Broken" merchandise, and also when he buys TNA (which he eventually will) and owns them anyway, and sacks Jarrett and co (unless they lose control beforehand, knowing how shambolic TNA is).

When he did nash bridges, he was still wrestling for wwe so they could use te stone cold moniker, and I've got a lot of steve's movies and outside of the wwe produced the condamned, they don't use the stone cold moniker in any of his movie.

Unless somebody went and trademark a gimmick before using it on tv, like bully ray did, then the company owns the right to the gimmick. Matt forgot to do that before starting the broken gimmick in tna so technically, they own the right to the gimmick.

Anyway, will I did enjoy the gimmick in tna, I really don't want to see it in wwe, it's not because it was a good gimmick, it's because if the house of horrors is any indication, wwe don't have a clue on how to do this kind of stuff and sadly they won't let matt have full control of the gimmick like he did in tna.

Another thing that I'm starting to realise, impact wrestling officials seem to have figured out how to play the social media game and play it to their advantage. Reby sky's rant his hurtin them more then helping them at this point. The more she goes on her rant, the more they look like the bad guys in all of this and you need to stay level headed when you go to court or try to make a deal with somebody which she isn't doing. Matt should really have a talk with her at this point and explain to her how her rant os slowly killing their chance of getting the broken gimmick back.

After her last rant, I siding with tna now because while I get that he invented the gimmick, he really should have trademark it before using it in tna, plus having dutch mantell be the more diplomatic guy in this would thing while reby is just going on rants that goes nowhere is helping them

Let's make something clear. The Broken gimmick, is not losing value. Not at all. WWE is centered around casual fans and those casual fans, have never seen the Broken gimmick being performed. Which means that whenever the broken gimmick gets introduced into the WWE, it will be something entirely new, for everyone.

Also, WWE themselves, do not need the gimmick. The Hardys do and again, not so much. The Hardys have been a sensation for so many years. Their name has value and they don't need a gimmick to get over. I doubt they will get more over than what they are now. They will just get more entertaining.

IMO, TNA are the only ones losing something and that's easy money. WWE made an offer for something they don't need, not one bit. If TNA believes that WWE need the Broken gimmick and they're trying to get a better deal because of that, then they're fooling themselves. It's ok for them to try to make something out of this, but as of right now, WWE is doing them a favour for even giving them any money.

So just take the money man.

I asked KB if WWE could find a way round it if they can't get a hold of the Broken gimmick. I thought of Matt going the militant crazy route ala Straight Edge Society CM Punk and Jeff could amp up the weird artyness that he is. Or alternatively just have Bray Wyatt turn them.

It's perfectly fine for TNA to hold onto the rights but at the same time there's not much they can do. There wasn't really any (good) Broken merchandise and the only other thing they could do is realise a DVD charting the gimmick right up to Matt and Jeff leaving.

Yeah they could try and do something with someone else but it would just feel like an Asylum version of a blockbuster movie.

I've been following jarrett for a long time and I pretty that's exactly what he's thinking right now. How can we make money with the gimmick. The fact is, their still selling aj styles compilation dvd's and hardy merchandise. They have dvd compilations of kurt angle and sting and does dvd's are sellimg pretty well from what I've read so I wouldn't be surprise if they are trying to make money of the hardy's return to wwe.

I'm actually surprised the company hasn't released total nonstop deleetion on DVD yet?

That tells me that the Hardy's have some creative control over what gets released.

So ed nordholm, the owner of impact wrestlimg finally broke his silence about the situation and went on the law last night. He said that wwe wasn't interested in the brokn gimmick.

So I know this is a standard answer he gave but I'm kind make me think that he might be right after all. Wwe have a history of not using gimmick that they didn't created because f vince didn't created, it's not worth doing.

So if what ed nordholm said is true, I wouldn't bold my breath in seeing the broken universe on wwe tv anytime soon.

Translation: "WWE doesn't want to pay my price to acquire the rights".

Wasn't it Meltzer who was saying that the two companies were negotiating weeks/months ago? It's pretty clear they hit an impasse. Either WWE low-balled, Impact's ask was too high, or both.

Translation: "WWE doesn't want to pay my price to acquire the rights".

Wasn't it Meltzer who was saying that the two companies were negotiating weeks/months ago? It's pretty clear they hit an impasse. Either WWE low-balled, Impact's ask was too high, or both.

Since when does meltzer know more that the peoples in charge. I'm not saying that nordholm is saying the whole truth, but wha he said in that interview made alot of sense with what the wwe has always been about.

Since when does meltzer know more that the peoples in charge. I'm not saying that nordholm is saying the whole truth, but wha he said in that interview made alot of sense with what the wwe has always been about.
No one said that Meltzer knows more than the people on charge. But Meltzer knows more than most of the people since his many reports come out to be true. So, you can't ignore his report regardless of your or even mine dislike towards him.

And no one knows the truth except WWE and IMPACT Wrestling. We can only speculate. Ed Nordholm did what he was supposed to. By saying so, it creates a bit of pressure on WWE since IMPACT has publicly stated something while WWE hasn't.

And I don't believe that WWE will bring Matt Hardy without the thought of using his Broken stuff. Nah, regardless of the gimmick not made by them. What's Matt Hardy without Broken stuff? Yeah, his tag team run has some legs and that's it. Nothing else if not for Broken stuff.

No one said that Meltzer knows more than the people on charge. But Meltzer knows more than most of the people since his many reports come out to be true. So, you can't ignore his report regardless of your or even mine dislike towards him.

And no one knows the truth except WWE and IMPACT Wrestling. We can only speculate. Ed Nordholm did what he was supposed to. By saying so, it creates a bit of pressure on WWE since IMPACT has publicly stated something while WWE hasn't.

And I don't believe that WWE will bring Matt Hardy without the thought of using his Broken stuff. Nah, regardless of the gimmick not made by them. What's Matt Hardy without Broken stuff? Yeah, his tag team run has some legs and that's it. Nothing else if not for Broken stuff.

But do you really want a WWE version of the broken gimmick because that's what your going to get if the hardy's get the gimmick. The reason why the whole thing worked in TNA was because Dixie gave total creative control to Matt to create the universe. In WWE, that's not going to happen, you're going to have Matt being produced by WWE and their going to be some guidelines for what they can and cannot do with this gimmick and in the end it might look more like the house of horror then what was the broken universe in TNA.

Lets not pretend that only Matt Hardy is talented enough to color his hair and read quirky lines with a bad accent.

IW could throw others in to the gimmick. And while it would be a mockery and not likely as good as the original, I sure as hell will actually tune in to the show to see how bad it is. It goes along with everything the Broken gimmick was, a train wreck. It helped that it was being played by a popular veteran but that doesn't mean Cody couldn't pull it off. It also doesn't have to be a long term veteran. Imagine if EC3 put his stamp on this. Even a young guy with nothing to lose could adopt the gimmick.

I don't know. I agree that Anthem looks bad for holding the gimmick hostage but it is entirely hypocritical to criticize them when, for example, Damien Sandow goes to IW as nothing resembling a renaissance man, a stunt double, or the Macho Man himself. WWE eats, sleeps, and breaths their intellectual property rights, Anthem should be no different. They should use this little bit of leverage and get whatever they can out of it.

The thing is, the gimmick can't be used with others, because Matt Hardy CREATED the gimmick himself. He wrote the segments, played the character, and put all the creativity and imagination into it.

TNA didn't create the gimmick and then assign it to Matt Hardy, so saying that Matt is only talented in colouring his hair and talking in an accent, and that anyone can play the character just shows what a fool you are.

I suppose if Mark Callaway has retired, Vince should then just make someone else the Undertaker, and continue to have them show up at Wrestlemania too, since you think gimmicks are "transitional"? No, someone else playing the role is someone else playing the role. They will do it differently.

I mean, how can you do the "Broken" universe with all the Hardy imagery, and nods to their career. That is part of the concept.

TNA are fools for doing this, and the company deserves to die, because of all the stupid decisions they make and how they have treated past talent (e.g. A.J. Styles). No wonder half the TNA roster are on NXT or on WWE's main roster, and the rest are in ROH. Because TNA treat their talent like shit, and hold onto an IP just because when they said "Jump", the Hardys didn't ask "How high?"

People will remember the Hardys and the "Broken" universe long after Anthem sends TNA broke, and then Impact ends up being bought by Vince McMahon, like he did WCW, ECW and every other company, and then WWE will get the "Broken" universe for free, when they acquire all of TNA's IPs, copyrights and trademarks when Vince buys them for next to nothing, puts ECIII and others on NXT, and puts TNA PPVs on the Network. Where will Jarrett and Anthem be then? At least Billy Corgan wouldn't have done this to the Hardys (Matt said as much in the interview, and would have stayed if Corgan was running TNA).

When dixie was in charge, everybody wanted somebody that could be firm with the talent and did treat them like friend but like employee. They wanted another vince mcmahon, now impact wrestling actually have that and fans bitch because their doing something that in a legal right, have the right to do. The broken universe was the original idea of matt hardy, but a the same time if it wasn't for jeremy borash, billy corgan and other helping out putting this thing together, their wouldn't be a broken universe

Like I wrote before, matt sign a legit contract with tna they said that everything that's created on tna tv belong to tna. If matt wanted to keep this gimmick for himself to use outside tna, all he had to do is trademark the gimmick before using it on tv.

Alot of other wrestlers did it over the years to make sure they could keep their creation. Matt didn't, that's on him. Like it or not, anthem as all the right in the world to keep the gimmick for themselves, the hardy's knew it when they signs they're contract. Anthem isn't going to use it for anybody else but it's also not good business to let your competition use a gimmick tha was created on your tv. Vince wouldn't let undertaker go to another company and wrestled as the undertaker and that's the same thing here.

It's not personal for anthem is just business.

The thing is, the gimmick can't be used with others, because Matt Hardy CREATED the gimmick himself. He wrote the segments, played the character, and put all the creativity and imagination into it.

You think that character was so hard to develop let alone replicate?

TNA didn't create the gimmick and then assign it to Matt Hardy, so saying that Matt is only talented in colouring his hair and talking in an accent, and that anyone can play the character just shows what a fool you are.

Go back and read what I wrote to someone who can comprehend it, have them explain it to you and then come back and apologize to me.

I suppose if Mark Callaway has retired, Vince should then just make someone else the Undertaker, and continue to have them show up at Wrestlemania too, since you think gimmicks are "transitional"? No, someone else playing the role is someone else playing the role. They will do it differently.

No, WWE is currently a very successful organization and the UT is one of their most iconic and beloved characters. Impact is a shitstorm and Broken was a short lived clusterfuck that got some attention and could continue to get some attention for the shitstorm that needs attention.

Big difference.

I mean, how can you do the "Broken" universe with all the Hardy imagery, and nods to their career. That is part of the concept.

You really think way too highly of Broken.

TNA are fools for doing this, and the company deserves to die, because of all the stupid decisions they make and how they have treated past talent (e.g. A.J. Styles). No wonder half the TNA roster are on NXT or on WWE's main roster, and the rest are in ROH. Because TNA treat their talent like shit, and hold onto an IP just because when they said "Jump", the Hardys didn't ask "How high?"

People will remember the Hardys and the "Broken" universe long after Anthem sends TNA broke, and then Impact ends up being bought by Vince McMahon, like he did WCW, ECW and every other company, and then WWE will get the "Broken" universe for free, when they acquire all of TNA's IPs, copyrights and trademarks when Vince buys them for next to nothing, puts ECIII and others on NXT, and puts TNA PPVs on the Network. Where will Jarrett and Anthem be then? At least Billy Corgan wouldn't have done this to the Hardys (Matt said as much in the interview, and would have stayed if Corgan was running TNA).

Nice rant.

I would not put it past TNA to crest a couple broken wrestlers,

Like the wwe did with fake deisel andrazor, just to try to keep the trademark.

Its been done before

Billy Corgan has had his own legal battles with Anthem Entertainment stemming from his work & investment with TNA under the ownership of Dixie Carter, from whom Anthem bought the promotion last year. Those issues have been resolved, and Corgan says he has a good relationship with the new Impact Wrestling at this point.

During his time as President of TNA, he worked closely with Matt & Jeff Hardy - including on the “Broken Brilliance” creative currently being fought over by Anthem and the Hardys. Jeff has said in the past if Corgan had secured ownership of Impact, the brothers might still be there instead of in WWE.

So it’s not too surprising to hear that Corgan has been working to try and broker a deal between Anthem and the Hardys on the ownership of the “Broken” gimmick.

I was approached by Anthem kind of to help mediate this situation and Matt & Jeff signed off on me sort of negotiating on their behalf. So I’ve been sort of the back channel negotiator for the past week or so trying to resolve this situation, and I think though it’s not where anybody wants it to be, I think it’s a little bit more clarified.

While Corgan hopes he’s helped the situation, as the public exchanges between current Impact President Ed Nordholm and the Hardy camp yesterday (May 23) demonstrate, it doesn’t appear he’s brought it to resolution. And he tells Johnson he’s probably done all he can:

I don’t have much of a role to play. It’s going to go more of a legal route at this point, which is unfortunate.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/impact...pact-anthem-broken-dispute-headed-legal-route

--

God, this is uglier by the day.

Here's the entire interview:

[YOUTUBE]BTTK1UAheVs[/YOUTUBE]

Personally, i think this whole mess could have been avoided if Reby would have shut her mouth and not start a twitter war with IMPACT. Matt could have work something out with anthem so that they could either gets the right to the gimmick or at less use it elsewhere. But she had to make this personal and in the business world, when you start attacking somebody, you have to expect some sort of retaliation from your opponent. They tried to take the high road and not attack back but she just keep on pushing and pushing, so they finally attacked back and told they side of the story and now, what could have been an easy situation to fix as become a real mess and that's all because reby sky couldn't keep silent on the situation.

What Matt should do is see if he gets "royalties" from sales of "Broken" merchandise sold by TNA. If not, he sues them.

A record company may own an artist's "song", but the writer of the song still gets "royalties" every time it is used. The record company can't keep all the profits of the song for themselves. Legally, the "creative force" behind the song gets a cut as well.

Since Matt Hardy, not TNA Impact, created the "Broken Universe", wrote the sketches, created and molded the characters, then he is entitled to a cut of the residuals. So Matt should demand that he still profit from the merchandising of the "Broken Universe" or he has cause to take TNA to court, and he would likely win if he can prove that he "invented" it.

A company "owns" the IP of someone, but can't completely cut the creator out of any monies. Royalties and residuals need to be paid.

Look at it this way. WWE owns the "Stone Cold" gimmick that Steve Austin uses. He can't use it for movies.

However, whenever a SCSA DVD comes out, or Austin's likeness appears in the 2K video game or on any merchandise, he gets paid for some of that. As does anyone who has a Legends contract with WWE. Now, Vince could have cut Austin out completely and gone ahead and used his image on anything, and not paid him, but Austin could then sue and win. Vince does this to look after past talent, and because he knows that the Legend has a legal obligation to get paid. He doesn't hold onto their IP for dear life, and cut them out of it.

If Anthem won't let the Hardys use the "Broken Universe" outside of TNA, then Matt has a right to file for all royalties to the use of "Broken Universe" and must be paid a percentage (especially if his likeness or image appears on T-shirts and other items).

So either Anthem let the Hardys use the "Broken" gimmick completely, or Matt can still make money from his "creation" by stopping TNA from using his image or paying him for it.

I think a way that the WWE can get around this is by having a storyline where Bray Wyatt recruits the Hardys to join the Wyatt Family.

This way, you can have Matt act weird and Jeff roll his eyes back. Matt can "redesign" his character to be different enough not to get sued, but similar enough for fans to "get it".

This would also allow the outside visuals, as you could have the Hardys do a "Final Deletion" Match somewhere on the Wyatt compound, so you can still use outside shots.

The way I see it, matt want this gimmck so bad because he knows without it, he pretty much nothing. The thing is, yes, matt was the creator of the gimmick, but if wasn't for jeremy borash, dave lagana and billy corgan to edit and film the whole thing, the gimmick would be nothing.

Matt could ask for royalies if they use the footage or created more merchandise but again I doubt anthem would refuse to give it to them because the pretty much to it for every other wrestlers that we're on the roster plus normally the royalties to merchandise and footage isn't worth sueing them over because it will cost them more to sue them then what they will get in return.

Finally, like I wrote before, this seem to be mostly matt's fight because jeff as pretty much keep silent during this whole saga, in fact, I think that jeff couldn't care less about the gimmick because he know he can get over without it.

Matt lost his trademark demand today and unless he can prove, that their was more to those documents that anthem release this week, he's pretty much done, because if they go to court without any news document that prove that the contract anthem release wasn't the one they sign, then anthem will win because with the contract anthem release pretty much state that they own the gimmick.

As noted, Matt Hardy has been continuing his "Broken" teases, writing earlier this weekend that his urges "are actively becoming more difficult to contain."

He followed it up with the Instagram post below thanking wrestling fans for supporting him, noting that they "are days away from winning."

It appears that Hardy is close to resolving his legal issues with Anthem Media over the gimmick. Dave Meltzer reported on last night's episode of Wrestling Observer Radio that the Hardys are "real close" to a resolution with Anthem and may be getting the gimmick back soon.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...ly-real-close-to-getting-broken-gimmick-from/

--

Finally! This needed to be over a long time ago, but honestly, from [insert company name here]'s perspective, they couldn't have picked a better time to end this bullshit. Slammiversary was a rousing success and they've got a lot of steam heading into Impact this week. Being able to settle this endless source of contention would only help in keeping them on track.

How many times has this bullshit been said? Believe it when I see it.

I saw an article postulizing that this battle could drive TNA/Impact/OwlMania/GFW into bankruptcy....which caused me to say that only TNA could turn a possible massive influx of revenue into bankruptcy lol.

Hopefully they get a nice fat cash settlement, and the Hardys can be DELIGHTFUL on WWE.

At this point, who cares about the gimmick. We all know that the broken gimmick will be crap in wwe because matt won't get complete control over it and it will look more like a mix between the bray wyatt character and the house of horrors match.

Like a written elsewhere, if fans think that vince mcmahon will gives complete creative control over the gimmick to matt hardy, they are as crazy as broken matt himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back