If Only one could go in, Part 3

Who deserves a WWE Hall of Fame spot more?

• Randy Savage

• JBL

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disturbed

Championship Contender
So I have recently started a thread series where I compare two future Hall of Famers and if you could only pick one to go into the WWE Hall of Fame one day, which would it be. The series kicked off with John Cena or The Rock. I was a bit suprised by that thread as it wasn't much of a discussion and Rock won by a landslide. However in the second edition, it was Sting vs Edge, and it created a lot of discussion. I think Sting ended up winning the poll by like 3 or 4 votes. 130 posters voted and there was a lot of debating. So here is part three. I have been thinking and trying to figure out two future WWE Hall of Famers and I finally came up with the "Macho Man" Randy Savage, and John Bradshaw Layfield. So if only one of those men could go into the WWE Hall of Fame one day, who do you think it would be? In your eyes who deserves it more?

wrestling_savage.jpg

List of Accomplishments in the world of Pro Wrestling

Continental Wrestling Association
AWA Southern Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
CWA International Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
Grand Prix Wrestling
GPW International Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
Gulf Coast Championship Wrestling
NWA Gulf Coast Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Lanny Poffo
International Championship Wrestling
ICW World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)[8]
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Comeback of the Year (1995)
PWI Feud of the Year (1997) vs. Diamond Dallas Page
PWI Match of the Year (1987) vs. Ricky Steamboat at WrestleMania III
PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (1989)
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1988)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (1988)
PWI ranked him #2 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1992
PWI ranked him #9 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
PWI ranked him #57 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Hulk Hogan in 2003
Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame
Class of 2009
United States Wrestling Association
USWA Unified World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
World Championship Wrestling
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (4 times)
WCW World War 3 (1995)
King of Cable Tournament (1995)
World Wrestling Council
WWC North American Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
World Wrestling Federation
WWF Championship (2 times)
WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time)
King of the Ring (1987)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards

Match of the Year (1987) vs. Ricky Steamboat at WrestleMania III
Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)
Worst Worked Match of the Year (1996) with Hulk Hogan vs. Arn Anderson, Meng, The Barbarian, Ric Flair, Kevin Sullivan, Z-Gangsta, and The Ultimate Solution in a Towers of Doom match at Uncensored
Best Pro Wrestling DVD (2009) Macho Madness: The Randy Savage Ultimate Collection

OR

Jbl.jpg

List of accomplishments in the world of pro wrestling

Catch Wrestling Association
CWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Cannonball Grizzly
Global Wrestling Federation
GWF Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Bobby Duncum, Jr. (1) and Black Bart (1)
Memphis Championship Wrestling
MCW Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Faarooq
NWA Texas
NWA North American Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
Ohio Valley Wrestling
OVW Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Ron Simmons
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI ranked him #5 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2005
Pro Wrestling Report
Color Commentator of the Year (2006)
World Wrestling Federation / Entertainment
WWE Championship (1 time)
WWE Hardcore Championship (17 times)
WWE Intercontinental Championship (1 time)
WWE United States Championship (1 time)
WWF European Championship (1 time)
WWF Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Faarooq
Tenth Grand Slam Champion
Twentieth Triple Crown Champion
Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Best Gimmick (2004)
Worst Worked Match of the Year (2002) with Trish Stratus vs. Christopher Nowinski and Jackie Gayda on Raw

This has nothing to do with the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame. If only one out of the two could make it into the WWE Hall of Fame, in your eyes who deserves it more?

You know the drill.

I love JBL but I highly doubt anyone is going to pick him over Randy Savage. There might be a couple votes for him in the pole, but I bet nobody posts anything to back it up. This is going to be a landslide.

Randy Savage was the only guy that could rival the popularity of Hulkamania in the late 80s. He was the next champion when Hogan's four year run came to an end. That was a pretty awesome responsibility and Savage handled it well. He had a year long title reign of his own right in the middle of the Hulkamania era. Savage was one of the first guys that I can remember that turned face because the fans started to cheer him when he was a heel. You could always count on Savage to give the best match of the night. I've called him the original Mr. WrestleMania countless times on this site due to all the classic moments he gave us at the biggest show of the year. I would guess Randy Savage is probably the most recognizable name to non wrestling fans besides Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant, and The Rock.

JBL was a long time low card wrestler before having moderate success in a tag team. He went through a major transformation and became WWE champion during a desperate time for the company. Brock Lesnar had suddenly left WWE and Kurt Angle was injured again. This was also well into the brand extension so there were two champions. Despite his nine month title reign JBL was never the top guy in the promotion. Had there only been one champion there's no way JBL would have ever gotten his hands on the gold.

I like JBL a lot. I think he did great with his new gimmick and his was actually one of my favorite title reigns. He was given the ball and he ran with it. I just don't think he ever came close to catching Randy Savage.

If anyone picks JBL over The Macho Man, you know nothing about wrestling. Nothing.

Savage is almost instantly recognizable by any wrestling fan anywhere, and has been almost as over with the fans as Hogan. JBL, even though he had a great run, and was one of the best heels at that time imo, is nowhere near the Macho Man. Savage has done so much more in his career than JBL, he should have already been inducted into the HOF.

But with his problems with Vince, and knowing JBL could very well return to the ring at any time, you never know who could go in first.

While JBL was fantastic as a heel champion and then as a commentator, Macho Man is a much more recognisable name associated with the industry and has garnered a cult-like devotion from fans. (His audio intros in Botchamania for example)

Well I for one would pick Savage. Man I grew up watching this guy tearing it up. He was part of the biggest tag team(drawing power wise), he brought us the lovely Miss Elizabeth, hell he was the face of Slim Jim(even though we don't have them here)for how long?

For JBL the only thing that I liked about him was when he was with the APA drinkin beer and kickin ass but that in my opinion is not worthy of a HoF spot.

I voted for JBL because he is one of the best heels in smackdown history. He is the guy that put John Cena over at Wrestlemania 21. Everyone of these threads you make I always see who accomplished more in the WWE/F, since it is the WWE hall of fame. And JBL has had a more successful career in the WWE than Randy Savage. Savage is a great competitor but most of his success came in WCW and other wrestling promotions other than the WWE. JBL is also has one of the best gimmicks of all time and deserves to be in the WWE hall of fame more than Savage.

I voted for JBL because he is one of the best heels in smackdown history. He is the guy that put John Cena over at Wrestlemania 21. Everyone of these threads you make I always see who accomplished more in the WWE/F, since it is the WWE hall of fame. And JBL has had a more successful career in the WWE than Randy Savage. Savage is a great competitor but most of his success came in WCW and other wrestling promotions other than the WWE. JBL is also has one of the best gimmicks of all time and deserves to be in the WWE hall of fame more than Savage.

You can't be serious. Randy Savage held the IC title for over a year back when it was almost on par with the world title. Savage held The WWF title for over a year during a time when Hulk Hogan was one of the most popular people on the planet. He went on to win a second title from Ric Flair at WrestleMania VIII and hold that title for about five months. Savage has had classic matches with Steamboat, Hogan, Rhodes, Warrior, and Flair at WrestleMania and that doesn't include his first title win where he defeated four wrestlers in one night. Nobody ever had more intense feuds than Savage. Savage has been both the most popular face and most hated heel. I like JBL but you're way off here. He can't touch Savage. The only way I can find this post acceptable is if you're too young to remember Savage in the WWF. Even still you should now of his legacy.

Savage and I don't think there should be much question about it. He's one of the best workers of all time, one of the select few wrestlers from the past 25 years to have maintained somewhat of a lasting mainstream popularity, and has been involved in some of the most memorable feuds in history. The match with Ricky Steamboat alone is enough to put him in over JBL in my opinion and that only scratches the surface of Savage's talent. I liked JBL, but he isn't half the worker Savage was and I bet if you ask the man himself if he should go in over the Macho Man, he'd laugh at you.

You can't be serious. Randy Savage held the IC title for over a year back when it was almost on par with the world title. Savage held The WWF title for over a year during a time when Hulk Hogan was one of the most popular people on the planet. He went on to win a second title from Ric Flair at WrestleMania VIII and hold that title for about five months. Savage has had classic matches with Steamboat, Hogan, Rhodes, Warrior, and Flair at WrestleMania and that doesn't include his first title win where he defeated four wrestlers in one night. Nobody ever had more intense feuds than Savage. Savage has been both the most popular face and most hated heel. I like JBL but you're way off here. He can't touch Savage. The only way I can find this post acceptable is if you're too young to remember Savage in the WWF. Even still you should now of his legacy.

I love Randy Savage. I just feel he did not accomplish much as JBL did in his time in WWF/E. Yes I know that he held the IC title for over a year and that was a great. JBL has held the WWE championship almost a year and is the longest reigning champion in smackdown history. I do like Savage and I'm not saying that he shouldnt be in the hall of fame it's just JBL should be in it more.

I really don't want to re-hash the Brain's comments as he already put it as good as anybody could possibly have anyway. I just want to add that it was clearly a no contest for me to vote for Savage.

How long has he been out of the WWE spotlight, yet people still bash Vince for not having him in the HOF? He is still a hot topic of debate in WWE related circles and has been for a very long time. How many heated discussions have you heard over the years demanding JBL's induction to the HOF? Exactly. He's more of an afterthought, to be honest.

I'm sure history would have went the exact same way whether JBL was the champ or not. On the other hand, kind of hard to think of WWE history w/out thinking of the Macho Man.

(On a side note, I always liked JBL better when he was the big, black haired, mustached bad ass instead of the "candidate for Brokeback Mountain 2" cowboy)

Savage hands down... In fact, I would be loathe to see JBL ever in the HOF at all... He was a bully and used cheap heat like Nazi salutes in Germany. I never liked the guy in any of his incarnations I'm afraid. Frankly he should have been fired for attacking The Blue Meanie the way he did.

Savage is a legend and totally worthy of a place. Without him guys like Shawn, Bret, Edge and the like would never have gotten to the main event. He proved smaller guys could rule "The Land Of The Giants" that was the WWF.

I love Randy Savage. I just feel he did not accomplish much as JBL did in his time in WWF/E. Yes I know that he held the IC title for over a year and that was a great. JBL has held the WWE championship almost a year and is the longest reigning champion in smackdown history. I do like Savage and I'm not saying that he shouldnt be in the hall of fame it's just JBL should be in it more.

JBL was champion for nine months. He was the longest reigning champion in Smackdown history. Key word there is Smackdown. Randy Savage was champion when there was only one champion. His first title reign lasted over a year. The he won a second title, something JBL did not do. JBL would not have been champion if there was only one championship in the company. Savage had an awesome IC reign. JBL had a mediocre US reign. Savage is one of the most popular wrestlers the WWF has ever had. I'm sorry I just don't see how you can say JBL accmomplished more than Savage.

Randy Savage's first WWF title reign was 371 days and he held it another time after that. I'd say that is more impressive than JBL's title reign, different eras be damned. Savage was also arguably "Mr. Wrestlemania" before Shawn Michaels and was a part of some of the most notable matches in Wrestlemania history (Steamboat, Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, the Wrestlemania IV tournament, etc). Honestly, JBL's one title reign, which is probably his highest achievement, pales in comparison to Savage's early accomplishments in the WWF.

OHHHHHHHHH YEAAAHHH. The Macho Man gets in, easily. JBL was great, and I really did love him as a performer, but Randy Savage is a WRESTLING LEGEND. He teamed and feuded with some of the greatest performers ever, and personally I think he was one of the best during his time. His accolades are also far greater than JBL's. Savage was named the #9 Singles Wrestler (out of 500) by PWI during the PWI Years, he is a Professional Wrestling Hall of Famer, as well as a Wrestling Observer Hall of Famer, 1988 PWI Wrestler of the Year and the Most Popular Wrestler that same year, he was #2 in the PWI Top 500 in '92, he's a 4-time WCW World Champion, 2-time WWF Champion, 1987 King of the Ring, and he was a 1-time Intercontinental Champion. I could go on and on, and JBL has a hell of a lot of accolades as well, but Savage's are far more impressive because during his time, 1 title reign meant a lot more than it did during JBL's time. Lots of guys during JBL's time got title reigns just as a transition, during Savage's era you had to EARN it. Savage is a name that even most casual wrestling fans know, and he was a main stream star. His Slim Jim commercials are still remembered by most, and he took wrestling with him into those commercials and he helped wrestling gain some popularity that way. Savage would go in ANY DAY.

It has to be Savage - he was better in ring work and a better 'draw' than JBL. The only area I'd give John the edge was on the stick and yet Macho is still iconic in this area too (just ask Jay Lethal). Overall Randy by a distance.

Savage, no question. I think JBL is one of the most overrated WWE Champions of all-time. I'm not even sure that he should be in the Hall of Fame. The only way that JBL would get in the Hal of Fame before Randy Savage is because he has a great relationship with Vince and Savage doesn't.

:lmao:Why would anyboby pick JBL over the macho man? I like JBL, but man Randy Savage is the man that rivalized Hogan in popularity in the 80's. JBL was good but only when he was in the Acolytes/Ministry of Darkness, and you have to credit The Undertaker for that. So Macho Man wins by a landslide.:worship:

It's Savage at a canter for me.

Yes he had achievements for other organisations, but one of those was WCW which surely qualifies him for the HOF still? It's a no contest. I imagine everyone except the youngsters will be screaming for Savage here. Even the length of that title reign during the Hogan era is enough to put him in ahead of JBL, who as it goes I never liked.

Also he released an album and slagged off Hogan on it. Need I say more?

Randy Savage by a land slide. Though I respect JBL's accomplishments, they FAIL in comparison to one of the true ALL TIME Greats, "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

Savage has numerous achievements. They include World Titles, Tournament Victories, Classic Matches & Feuds, Mid Card Titles, Main Events At Wrestlemania and many many other things that could be noted.

The most impressive thing to me. Is he did all this coexisting with Mr. "Ball" Hog himself, Hulk Hogan. Savage won The WWF Championship smack dab in the middle of Hogan's prime. That is HUGE to say the least. When it was the years in WWF to follow, or in WCW/NWO. Savage held his own during Hulkamania. He did a lot and was a true wrestler. Hogan was bigger and more popular, but when it comes to in ring talent, Savage is far and away better than Hogan.

Savage also competed in a match that is considered by most to be one of the best ever, if not the best in Wrestlemania History. That was at Wrestlemania 3 versus Ricky Steamboat for The IC Title.

I could go on and on about Savage. Like I said, I respect what JBL did and respect his intelligence a whole Hell of a lot. Even what he was best at, BEING HEEL, Savage was better at.

So, I'll go with Savage over most guys that he would stand toe to toe with in this type of thread, especially John "Bradshaw" Layfield.

In a fair world Randy Savage would be an obvious choice.

He was WWF's Mr WrestleMania before HBK burst onto the scene. He has numerous great feuds to his name in the WWF with the likes of Steamboat, Hogan, Warrior and Flair. Even the feuds towards the end of his WWF career with the likes of Jake The Snake and Crush are nothing to be scoffed at. He was used better in the WWF than he was in WCW and he was also in his physical prime when he was in the WWF. He was possibly the best in ring talent in that period behind Steamboat and Ric Flair possibly. He was the WWF's Mr Dependable during that period. He may have never been the top face of the company and had only a year as the top heel but whenever the WWF wanted to put together a good feud or a good match, they would go to Randy Savage.

JBL was a great heel for a year but that is basically it. He was a midcarder before that run and an upper midcarder after that run. Plus, he wasn't particularily good in the ring. His career, while a decent one, is in no way comparable to that of Randy Savage. I think that Savage trumps him in all respects.

But obviously there is the issue that Savage has some disagreements with Vince and that does make him a bit less deserving. But if you take that controversy aside, I think that you can be rest assured that Savage deserves the HOF much more than JBL.

I am happy to see the score for this is currently 31-4 in Savage's favour. This is a collosal mismatch.

You are putting the Macho Man, one of the all time greats in the business, up against a man who was a tag-team/lower card wrestler for most of his career, before enjoying an Indian summer at the top of the card for a 3 or 4 year period before retirement.

Savage was almost at the level of Hulk Hogan in the late 80s, he was part of the biggest-name value tag-team of all time with Hogan as The Mega Powers, leading to one of the all time WM great matches when the team eventually imploded. JBL never even headlined a WM, and the matches he did have on the card were usually sub-par.

Almost everyone has heard of Savage, wrestling fan or not. Ask anyone who they know, Savage or JBL and most will simply say "Who?" when it comes to Bradshaw. This is really a no-contest, for his legacy and reputation in the business, and the fact that people are still begging Vince to induct him into the HOF, the answer to this is Macho Man Randy Savage

Even though J.B.L. is a descent wrestler that did have a mainstream push in the few years before his retirement, I still see him as a mid-carder. Also, J.B.L. is a prick off camera, but I suppose I should not hold that against his Hall of Fame chances.

Randy Savage was so talented that he had risen to the top in Florida regional promotion(s) before he even went mainstream WWF in the 80's. I used to read about him in wrestling magazines because he was not on TV in Chicago, Illinois yet. He was a main eventer in the WWF in a very short time and did great with his push. Randy also did great in WCW. Randy was a perfectionist in that he would constantly go over the "script" or how the match was played out, with his opponent (her Hulk Hogan interview a few years ago) and he pretty much stuck to the "script" with little improvisation. Randy really cared about how things appeared to the audience. Also, I cannot remember Randy seriously hurting anybody in the ring, which is pretty cool considering he was flying around like a madman a lot.

This is a no brainer, Randy Savage plain and simple. Savage is an icon, a legend of this business. Sure JBL had a great run on Smackdown as a heel champion and he was a really good heel in his time as a top guy, but before that he was a low midcarder and a tag team guy. Savage on the other hand was near the top or at the top for a majority of his career. Savage has had numerous encounters with legends of this business and always put on a show. He had a uniqueness to him that no one could match. His promo were over the top, but he drew you in because of that. His ring work was superb and his placement on the card compares to where Chris Jericho was in modern terms. Savage could work anywhere on the card and be believable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back