IC25's Matches to Watch

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
For those living under a rock, here are the first round matches in the 4th annual Wrestlezone tournament:

Final Draw

CHICAGO Region

Sub City 1: Bell Center - Montreal, Quebec, Canada
1. Sting vs. Hayabusa
2. Magnum T.A. vs. "Dr. Death" Steve Williams
3. Nick Bockwinkle vs. El Canek
4. Kurt Angle vs. Billy Graham

Sub City 2: American Airlines Arena - Miami, Florida
1. Justin Thunder Liger vs. Kerry Von Erich
2. Arn Anderson vs. Iron Sheik
3. Abyss vs. Jumbo Tsuruta
4. Mick Foley vs. La Parka

Sub City 3: Pepsi Center - Denver, Colorado
1. Shane Douglas vs. El Santo
2. Booker T vs. Bruno Sammartino
3. Jeff Jarrett vs:Shawn Michaels
4. Dory Funk Jr. vs. Jeff Hardy

Sub City 4: Madison Square Garden - New York City
1. Randy Savage vs. Kane
2. Owen Hart vs. Jun Akiyama
3. Bret Hart vs. Edge
4. Kenta Kobashi vs. Tito Santana

TORONTO Region

Sub City 1: TD Garden - Boston, Massachusetts
1. Jimmy Snuka vs. Gorgeous George
2. Goldberg vs. Stu Hart
3. Kevin Nash vs. Bobo Brazil
4. Dynamite Kid vs. Dusty Rhodes

Sub City 2: BC Place - Vancouver, Canada
1. The Fabulous Moolah vs. Hulk Hogan
2. Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H
3. Tully Blanchard vs The Undertaker
4. Bob Backlund vs. AJ Styles

Sub City 3: Scottrade Center - St. Louis, Missouri
1. Mitsuhara Misawa vs. Lou Thesz
2. Tatsumi Fujinami vs. The Rock
3. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Lex Luger
4. Ted DiBiase vs. Jerry Lawler

Sub City 4: Palace of Auburn Hills - Detroit, Michigan
1. Abdullah the Butcher vs. Ultimate Warrior
2. Sheamus vs. Terry Gordy
3. Curt Hennig vs. Christian
4. Sgt. Slaughter vs. John Cena

TOKYO Region

Sub City 1: Rupp Arena - Lexington, Kentucky
1. Dustin Rhodes vs. King Kong Bundy
2. Rhino vs. Rick Martel
3. Antonio Rocca. vs. Raven
4. Chris Benoit vs. Desmond Wolfe

Sub City 2: Reunion Arena - Dallas. Texas
1. Barry Windham vs. The Miz
2. Ricky Steamboat vs. Larry Zbyszko
3. Antonio Inoki vs. CM Punk
4. Samoa Joe vs. Giant Baba

Sub City 3: Cow Palace - San Francisco, California
1. Bryan Danielson vs. DDP
2. Sid vs. Batista
3. Christopher Daniels vs. Ric Flair
4. British Bulldog vs. Paul Orndorff

Sub City 4: First Union Center - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1. JBL vs. Stevie Richards
2. The Berkzerker vs. Harley Race
3. Eddie Guerrero vs. Jerry Lynn
4. Jack Swagger vs. Pedro Morales

MEXICO CITY Region

Sub City 1: Meadowlands - East Rutherford, New Jersey
1. Mike Awesome vs. Rick Rude
2. Scott Steiner vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
3. Dean Malenko vs. Great Muta
4. Michael Hayes vs. Chris Jericho

Sub City 2: Key Arena - Seattle, Washington
1. Ahmed Johnson vs. Buddy Rogers
2. Bobby Lashley vs. Tiger Mask I
3. Lance Storm vs. Roddy Piper
4. Vader vs. Mil Mascaras

Sub City 3: Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro, North Carolina
1. Big Show vs. André The Giant
2. Rey Mysterio vs. Scott Hall
3. Stan Hansen vs. Brian Pillman
4. Taz vs. Rob Van Dam

Sub City 4: Staples Center - Los Angeles, California
1. Marty Jannetty vs. Bruiser Brody
2. Jake Roberts vs. Rikishi
3. Randy Orton vs. Terry Funk
4. Yokozuna vs. Steve Austin

A few matches to really keep an eye on according to yours truly:

Sting vs Hayabusa

The Japanese sun is rising here on WZ, whereas the same sun is setting on Steve Borden's career. Hayabusa isn't as well known to mainstreak fans as Inoki or even Misawa, but I've learned loads about him, and I am totally torn on this match. Two icons in round one? I love the randomness.

Bret Hart vs Edge

Two of the major players for the overall Gold Medal winning Canadian Olympic Pro Wrestling Team. Two guys who have also made LOADS of noise in recent years. The Edgeheads seems to be growing, but will Bret's recent return rekindle sentimental love for the Excellence?

Brock Lesnar vs Triple H

Brock has loads of supporters on the forums, and Triple H gets a lot of hate. Even still, this is a damn close match. On one hand, you have the short term champion who did as much in 2 years as anyone else in history. On the other, you have the life-er; the career pro who is destined to take over the industry.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs Lou Thesz

This match will be voted on blindly by 70 people and debated vehemently by 7 people. The greatest in US history vs the greatest in Japanese history? Perhaps. I fear that THIS is the thread where tempers may flare...

Vader vs Mil Mascaras

Mil is one of the only guys I will ever concede to being on Canek's level in Mexico. Vader is one of my all time faves. Tough call here. I know my choice and strategy, but this is a terrific opening match between two international legends.

Big Show vs Andre

I actually an formally requesting "Big Show" be changed to "Paul Wight." Wight as the Big Show loses to Andre. Wight as "The Giant" wins. This is yet another moment in SHW history where an epic match takes place - WAY too early. Love it.

Stan Hansen vs Brian Pillman

Two board faves, me thinks. Hansen among the toughest and most ruthless heels ever vs one of the best high flyers ever. I see a Lariat vs TDigle feud here...

Randy Orton vs Terry Funk

Ouch. Orton is on top of the world right now and everyone knows who he is. Funk is an all time great who has a curse similar to Andre - today's fans don't understand the breadth of his skills dating back to his work in the 70's. I look forward to guys like XFear educating us on Funk, but the Viper is a tough draw round one...

Yokozuna vs Austin

Wow. Tough match. Two all time greats and former World Champions. I think this match is solidly in one man's favor, but the name value alone in the match makes it worth a look.

Yeah, I think you have it spot-on there, IC.

For me, the biggest matches are between Bret Hart and Edge and Brock Lesnar and Triple H. Personally, there is a couple of real reasons that these will be the matches to watch. The first of which is to give us an indication of how smarky the voters are going to be. Triple H and Lesnar will be the best indication of this. Triple H gets so much heat around here that it will make it almost impossible for him to get out of the first two rounds. However, if people see sense, they will notice that Lesnar doesn't have shit on Triple H and would be beaten in every way possible in the ring or out by Triple H. That being said, the point remains that if Triple H goes over, all bets are off.

The match with Hart and Edge will just be interesting to see how Will goes. He will obviously be backing Edge and his drive to get him through in the last tournament was telling. However, Hart beat him before and it will be good to see how much his run in the WWE recently has changed how people think of him.

Those are the two stand-out matches.

Yeah, I think you have it spot-on there, IC.

For me, the biggest matches are between Bret Hart and Edge and Brock Lesnar and Triple H. Personally, there is a couple of real reasons that these will be the matches to watch. The first of which is to give us an indication of how smarky the voters are going to be. Triple H and Lesnar will be the best indication of this. Triple H gets so much heat around here that it will make it almost impossible for him to get out of the first two rounds. However, if people see sense, they will notice that Lesnar doesn't have shit on Triple H and would be beaten in every way possible in the ring or out by Triple H. That being said, the point remains that if Triple H goes over, all bets are off.

The match with Hart and Edge will just be interesting to see how Will goes. He will obviously be backing Edge and his drive to get him through in the last tournament was telling. However, Hart beat him before and it will be good to see how much his run in the WWE recently has changed how people think of him.

Those are the two stand-out matches.

Meh, Lesnar gets as much hate, if not more by the wrestling fans then Triple H does because he "disrespected the business." You know, it's not like Triple H ever disrespected the business or anything at MSG...

As far as Lesnar not having shit on Triple H, well if you don't include speed, agility, a better mat game, a better striking game, a better finishing maneuver, better look, etc... then of course you're right. Lesnar is a bigger, badder and better Batista, and we all know how well Trips faired against against a guy with half the ability of Lesnar.

I agree completely here.

Name value will likely lead to victories for Sting, Austin, Orton, and Vader. The other matches though, are some to really watch for. Edge/Bret will likely echo last year's final bout.

However, Misawa/Thesz and Lesnar/Triple H are the two I'm keeping my eyes on. These can really get heated in a hurry, as they are pretty similar in many areas. The main difference has already been stated: the abundance of knowledge for Lesnar/Triple H and the lack of knowledge of Misawa/Thesz. Either way, I'm pumped for this.

For those living under a rock, here are the first round matches in the 4th annual Wrestlezone tournament:

A few matches to really keep an eye on according to yours truly:

Sting vs Hayabusa

The Japanese sun is rising here on WZ, whereas the same sun is setting on Steve Borden's career. Hayabusa isn't as well known to mainstreak fans as Inoki or even Misawa, but I've learned loads about him, and I am totally torn on this match. Two icons in round one? I love the randomness.

This match is only interesting to me because jmt's favorite American wrestler is pitted against his favorite Japanese wrestler.

Bret Hart vs Edge

Two of the major players for the overall Gold Medal winning Canadian Olympic Pro Wrestling Team. Two guys who have also made LOADS of noise in recent years. The Edgeheads seems to be growing, but will Bret's recent return rekindle sentimental love for the Excellence?

Thank fuck Edge is getting knocked out in the first round.

Brock Lesnar vs Triple H

Brock has loads of supporters on the forums, and Triple H gets a lot of hate. Even still, this is a damn close match. On one hand, you have the short term champion who did as much in 2 years as anyone else in history. On the other, you have the life-er; the career pro who is destined to take over the industry.

*SNORES* I'll probably go with Lesnar, since he's the lesser of two evils.

This match will be voted on blindly by 70 people and debated vehemently by 7 people. The greatest in US history vs the greatest in Japanese history? Perhaps. I fear that THIS is the thread where tempers may flare...

You're damn right tempers will flare.

Vader vs Mil Mascaras

Mil is one of the only guys I will ever concede to being on Canek's level in Mexico. Vader is one of my all time faves. Tough call here. I know my choice and strategy, but this is a terrific opening match between two international legends.

This match is interesting to you, but boring for the rest of us.

Big Show vs Andre

I actually an formally requesting "Big Show" be changed to "Paul Wight." Wight as the Big Show loses to Andre. Wight as "The Giant" wins. This is yet another moment in SHW history where an epic match takes place - WAY too early. Love it.

They already fought in a triple threat in last year's tournament. Anyway, I've never been a fan of Andre, and never will be; his greatest moment in wrestling history is getting his legs excessively kicked by Akira Maeda.

Two board faves, me thinks. Hansen among the toughest and most ruthless heels ever vs one of the best high flyers ever. I see a Lariat vs TDigle feud here...

Maybe Dewey and Lariat can feud over this one; I was never a big fan of Pillman.

Ouch. Orton is on top of the world right now and everyone knows who he is. Funk is an all time great who has a curse similar to Andre - today's fans don't understand the breadth of his skills dating back to his work in the 70's. I look forward to guys like XFear educating us on Funk, but the Viper is a tough draw round one...

Randy Orton's shit; he's not great because he's one of the less smellier pieces of shit floating in the turd bowl known as contemporary American professional wrestling.

Yokozuna vs Austin

Wow. Tough match. Two all time greats and former World Champions. I think this match is solidly in one man's favor, but the name value alone in the match makes it worth a look.

Sorry that your main man's gonna get his ass handed to him, IC.

Meh, Lesnar gets as much hate, if not more by the wrestling fans then Triple H does because he "disrespected the business." You know, it's not like Triple H ever disrespected the business or anything at MSG...

As far as Lesnar not having shit on Triple H, well if you don't include speed, agility, a better mat game, a better striking game, a better finishing maneuver, better look, etc... then of course you're right. Lesnar is a bigger, badder and better Batista, and we all know how well Trips faired against against a guy with half the ability of Lesnar.

For all that you have noted there, a lot of it is just ridiculous.

I mean, look at the size of both men when they face-off. Triple H is not that much smaller than Lesnar and must only be an inch or two at most. Lesnar was not that much heavier than Triple H when he was in the WWE and you can say that he was "badder" all day long and I still wont believe you. Triple H has come to be known as one of the dirtiest players in the game and was taught by the actual "dirtiest player in the game". For you to claim that Lesnar was "badder" when Heyman was actually doing most of the heel tactics for him, I find that a little flawed.

In saying that, I will give you some of the advantages you listed. Lesnar did have a better striking game and a better finisher. He was a tank and a powerhouse. However, Triple H was just on a different level and is to this day. Triple H has been up against bigger men in his career and has taken them down with the best of them. Remember when Khali was taking people out with a chop and Triple H made him look like a muppet in his most dominant phase? Triple H is a technician and is one of the most clever people to work within the ropes. Angle was cut from the same cloth inside the ring and Angle took Brock to the limit.

For all that you have noted there, a lot of it is just ridiculous.

I mean, look at the size of both men when they face-off. Triple H is not that much smaller than Lesnar and must only be an inch or two at most. Lesnar was not that much heavier than Triple H when he was in the WWE and you can say that he was "badder" all day long and I still wont believe you. Triple H has come to be known as one of the dirtiest players in the game and was taught by the actual "dirtiest player in the game". For you to claim that Lesnar was "badder" when Heyman was actually doing most of the heel tactics for him, I find that a little flawed.

In saying that, I will give you some of the advantages you listed. Lesnar did have a better striking game and a better finisher. He was a tank and a powerhouse. However, Triple H was just on a different level and is to this day. Triple H has been up against bigger men in his career and has taken them down with the best of them. Remember when Khali was taking people out with a chop and Triple H made him look like a muppet in his most dominant phase? Triple H is a technician and is one of the most clever people to work within the ropes. Angle was cut from the same cloth inside the ring and Angle took Brock to the limit.

I want to, but I'll save it for the tourney. It's coming my friend. Plus it's all for nothing anyway, because the winner of this match gets fed to Hogan.

duel.jpg

I'm more interested by Cena/Slaughter. Slaughter was a damn near excellent heel and could pull of face just as effectively. Cena is the head of WWE wrestling right now, and responsible for millions in revenue and hundreds of thousands in viewers. It'll be a battle that I'm afraid I'll have to wade into.

I agree with Tdigs. Austin is taking that match IC. Sorry about that one. Triple H is going over Lesnar in some kind of vote margin that will make it painfully clear that no one looked at a single Shockster post; only to be fed to Hogan as Shocky-McShockerton said. Hogan wins his subdivision hands down, unless by some weird twist of craziness Hogan gets taken out by the Undertaker. I doubt it though.

:undertaker2: > :hogan:
?​

This is what I love about the WZ tournament, so many close matches so early

Bret Hart vs Edge

I can see this one being so close, what with Edge winning last year, mainly carried by The One Big Will-Fort. However, Hart's recent appearances will definitely rekindle the love for Bret and remind us how truely great he was. I'll be voting Bret in this one, whilst I'd like to see Edge do well, Bret in his prime has to take this.

Brock Lesnar vs Triple H

Personally, I think Triple H will take this. The blind hatred for Triple H has wained in the IWC, IMO and been replaced by blind hatred for Cena. H is one of the top guys still wrestling and I think some people may resent Lesnar for leaving the world of wrestling.

Totally agree. I for one will be consulting youtube and wikipedia before voting here

Vader vs Mil Mascaras

Vader has to take this IMO.

Big Show vs Andre

I will be thinking of Paul Wight when I vote anyway. And I think Show will take him. Show has a "slight" speed advantage and more arsenal in his locker. Neither will be able to pull off their power moves on each other and this will be of detriment to Andre.

This is one of the toughest IMO. I would emplore people to do their homework on Funk before blindly voting for Orton.

Yokozuna vs Austin

I can't look past Austin at all IMO. I think Yoko was highly overrated and I think Austin's moveset of punch, kicks and a stunner actually benefits him on a match like this.

Sting vs Hayabusa

I'm not a big Sting fan anymore, and I've seen very, very little of Hayabusa, so I'll probably stay out of this one unless I get bored and look him up.

Bret Hart vs Edge

Will will word fort us to death over this, and make a few good points, however, he can't debate enough to show that Edge is a better wrestler than Hart. Hart beat him in the final of last years tournament and he'll do it again now.
Brock Lesnar vs Triple H

I was a big Lesnar fan during his time in the WWE. However, Triple H is one of the best in the business and should not be taken lightly. This will be a tough match, with people of Shocky's calibre arguing for Lesnar, and having some strong points for doing so. However, in a tournament which is ultimately to name the best wrestler of all time, I can't put Lesnar over a Triple H who gives his life to the WWE, and does well doing so.

I'll look them up properly if they get Shawn. Otherwise, meh.

Vader vs Mil Mascaras

I don't think I can take someone seriously if they have the world mascara in their name. I'm joking, however, I do enjoy Vader, so depending on how the match up goes, I'll look into this Mascaras guy.

Big Show vs Andre

The most I've ever enjoyed the Big Show is as a tag team. Andre should take this.

Meh.

Meh.

Yokozuna vs Austin

I expect this to be quite close. There are Yoko marks but there are Austin marks. I'll have to read the debates and see who sways me the most, because as of now I'm not sure.

Haha, dammit. After backing both Yoko and Austin in the campaign forum, of course they draw each other in the first round! Should be interesting to say the least. This is my first tourney, but apparently Hart and Edge went at it in the finals last year, which makes their first round rematch this year the main event of this first round. I think Edge's face turn is going to hurt him this time around, but that debate is for the tourney.

When you get past all of the blind WWE hate/worship and the "Anything that isn't Japanese sucks" mindset, it is going to come down to who would beat who in each man's prime. I can't wait.

I personally can't wait for Andre/Show. I know everyone's going to shit on Andre, saying he was so poor. The problem with Andre is that most people are only left with the memories of an Andre that could barely walk. The was a mircale, just by the fact that he could move in the ring. I ask you, don't remember that Andre when you're voting; don't get so obsessed with this whole "prime" debate. The fact is, Andre was Hogan before there was even a Hogan. He was the draw of professional wrestling. Now, if IC is doing what I think he plans on doing, and uses Show from 95-96, then he may be making some valid points. Show used to be a monster of a man, way before he got all fat and tubby.

Ultimately, this battle should boil down to a clash of the "has been" and the "never was". The battle of one man who was a dominating giant, and the man that should have been, but only was for about a year, at best.

Edge/Bret is going to be an absolute bloodbath.

Personally, I'd love to see both of these men out in the first round. I just feel that both men are extremely overrated. Of course, not taking away from what they've done for the sport. They're great, but I don't think they're these GODS that the IWC makes them out to be.

I'll be backing Bret in round one but I'll be against him from there on.

Good call IC.

Bret Hart vs. Edge is going to one tough match. Last year I believe Edge went out to Bret Hart, but since then, Edge has turned face and won a Royal Rumble. Will these developments make things closer than last year or just give Hart a bigger victory?

The match I got most excited for when I saw it was Andre vs. The Big Show. These guys met in a Triangle Ladder match, can't remember who won, but it wasn't Andre. I don't know much about Andre, only that he was undefeated for a long ass time, Hogan beat him, and he was Fezik in The Princess Bride. (Anybody want a peanut?) My limited knowledge on Andre tells me that Paul Wight has a more diverse game than Andre, and I'm not quite sure Andre ever had to deal with anyone as huge as Wight, which puts things in Show's favor. That said, maybe I'll learn a thing or two about Andre in the debate that is sure to ensue, one that I will certainly be following closely.

I am also looking at the bracket for potential future match ups and wow, I am holding out for a Bruiser Brody vs Steve Austin match in the third round. I feel like this would be old school brawling enthusiasts vs new school brawling enthusiasts.

First, a look at yours.

Sting vs Hayabusa

Sting will take this easily. Hayabusa was cut down in his prime, and unfortunately he just doesn't have the backing he needs. His biggest fan on here is jmt, who's favourite wrestler is Sting.

Bret Hart vs Edge

Edge's guaranteed defeat made this a big anticlimax this year. I wouldn't put it past him to win here, but this is certainly one to watch.

Brock Lesnar vs Triple H

Brock Lesnar is the worst thing to happen to professional wrestling. People act as if Triple H is. This match wll be extremely close, and I think Lesnar might go over. If he does, back him to go far into this tournament.

If Gelgarin is around, this will be a doozy. If he isn't, it'll be a Misawa squash. Simple as that really.

Vader vs Mil Mascaras

Mil Mascaras should win this, but definitely won't. Mascaras is literally the only Mexican in history to have made a splash in all three major markets, and Vader is in a minority of Americans to do the same thing. This will be one of the first round matches that you'll see a lot of me in.

Big Show vs Andre

Doing something first doesn't mean doing it better. Andre benefitted from being a freakshow as well as being a wrestler. Show has two things that Andre didn't. Personality and agility. That should be enough, but the name factor will probably send Andre over.

A lot of people will chat shit in this match between people that a lot of people pretend to like. Hansen will probably win, and probably should, but this will not be a significant match when all is said and done.

Orton is too hot to lose this, which is probably unfair. Last year, a few good posts got Warrior over him, and the same could happen this time around. People have to be prepared to put Funk Over.

Yokozuna vs Austin

This will go Austin's way quite easily. I already know my argument for why that should be the case.

Tastycles' additional ones to watch:

El Santo vs Shane Douglas

One for the fanboys this.

Dory Funk jr vs Jeff Hardy

There will be a minority comprised of Hardy haters and old school fans trying to get Funk over here, and they'll be trying hard. I don't think they'll pull it off, but there is a possibility that they will scrape it in.

Booker T vs Bruno Sammartino

It won't be interesting, but it will be a yardstick for whether this year can be the year of old school

CM Punk vs Antonio Inoki

If Punk wins, he'll be in the quarter finals, and quite comfortably at that. A real dark horse for the later rounds.

Mitsuhara Misawa vs. Lou Thesz
I'll definitely be watching this match closely. I'm a big big Misawa fan from his days of Tiger Mask II. I'll be backing the greatest Japanese Wrestler to put on wrestling boots. I've logged hours upon hours watching videos of him on Youtube and for those who have read my threads, I do a lot of research on wrestlers so I've used up a lot of time that I should be studying, reading on-line about great Japanese wrestlers like Misawa. I can't wait to debate with the Lou Thesz fans. This is my first tournament so I'll be way over my head, but I'm up to the challenge. One thing's for certain though, whoever wins this match will take St. Louis.

Sting vs Hayabusa
I have to admit that I am biased towards Japanese wrestlers. The first match that I watched live was in Japan and I throughly enjoy watching matches on-line by Tiger Mask 1,2,3 and 4, Jushin Liger, Great Sasuke and Hayabusa. Speaking of Hayabusa, I can't wait to see the arguments by others for him because his career was cut short because of a botched move. It's really hard to compare his career with the career of Sting whose still wrestling today and has been in the wrestling for much of his life. Regardless, I will be backing up Hayabusa in this match. I can't wait to post in this tournament. This is the best invention since the lace thong.

Mitsuharu_Misawa.jpg
JapaneseFlag-150x150.jpg
Hayabusa795.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back