IC25 Handicaps the 2010 Royal Rumble

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Home field doesn't mean too much in the NFL playoffs anymore. One of the major questions I ask myself when I created the odds you see below for the Royal Rumble - how much will Home Field mean for John Cena?

The Favorites

John Cena, 3-1. Early line had John at 3-2, but I lowered his chances. His feud with CM Punk has become really compelling TV, and unless Punk gets the WWE Title between now and Wrestlemania, John winning the Rumble doesn't make a load of sense. Still, the Rumble is in John's home town of Boston, and with The Undertaker unsure of a return, you will want a big name main eventing Wrestlemania. There is the added wrinkle of if Randy Orton beats The Miz in the Rumble title match, and an Orton / Cena fight at Wrestlemania.

John Morrison, 5-1. I like John's positioning heading into the Rumble. He put together a nice win against daniel Bryan on Raw recently, seemed to get the best of S(h)eamus, and to be honest, the Miz / Morrison match on the first Raw of 2011 was fantastic. These two could absolutely be booked well together, have the chemistry, etc. I would worry that Cena / Punk could overshadow it.

Alberto del Rio, 7-1. I don't think he's going to take it, but then again, Smackdown NEEDS legit talent. Who is Edge's challenger at Wrestlemania going to be? Dolph Ziggler again? I'm sorry but no - Ziggler right now is where Shawn Michaels was in Survivor Series 1992. Good enough to wrestle a title match on the card, even as the main event, but just as long as there's something else attractive on the card as well.

CM Punk, 8-1. This especially makes sense if Orton goes over Miz. CM Punk is red hot right now, has his New Nexus team in his corner, and has proven he can run as a major performer.

The Outside Shots

Wade Barrett, 12-1. I've been saying for a year now - and I wrote an editorial on this too - there's a unique opportunity here with a young heel and the Royal Rumble as it relates to the Undertaker. How huge would it be for a young talent like Barrett to cash in a Royal Rumble win to main event Wrestlemania - not for the WWE Title, not for the World Title, but for a chance to be the man who ends the Undertaker's streak? Wouldn't that lend an air of desperation and importance? 3 months of "Wade Barrett gave up the chance to win his first World Title at Wrestlemania because ending the Undertaker's streak means a permanent place in the history books." Then, if 'Taker isn't ready, Wade can go into a title match.

S(h)eamus, 15-1. I feel like the Irishman has lost his heat since becoming King of the Ring, which is a shame. He has the skills on the mic and a clear ring presence. He's the most dominant 2nd year superstar since Lesnar. He could make a title run against Orton work just fine. The major knock here is the idea of a potential S(h)eamus / Triple H Wrestlemania re-match. Though how great would a tag team match reuniting evolution alumni Orton and HHH vs Miz and S(h)eamus be on the Raw before Wrestlemania?

Mason Ryan, 20-1. I realize that he's a rookie, and I realize that he's not even announced as being in the match. But wouldn't this come from out of nowhere!? WWE is apparently really high on this guy, and the resemblance to Batista is downright alarming. Nobody would see this coming, which would make it really interesting. Of course, it'd also make it really tough to build Wrestlemania around.

The Big Show, 24-1. He's been a huge part of the WWE for years, and he has to be winding down his career. When we look back at him after he retires, we may well ask ourselves "how did a guy this size make it to being the final guy eliminated in the Rumble twice and never win it?" You have to factor him in, especially with his recent relevance.

Kane, 27-1. Another HUGE guy, another HUGE Rumble performer, another HUGE surprise that he's never really sniffed a win. I doubt he's in line for another major push like he was this past year, though him working with New Nexus has potential...

The Undertaker, 30-1. Just humor me. We were SURE that John Cena was out of a Rumble 2 years ago due to injuries, and his return shocked us. And Edge last year. You mean to tell me that if #40 is set to come out and that gong rings, that hundreds of thousands of fans won't go bat shit?

The Long Shots

Drew McIntyre, 50-1. My how the mighty have fallen. Wasn't this guy the chosen one? His personal life may be biting him in the ass here.

Daniel Bryan, 65-1. Lacks the mic presence to build to a major Wrestlemania payoff.

Kofi Kingston, 70-1. Not only is he the president of the Shelton Benjamin fan club, he's also a client. Could be another in a long line of ultra-athletic guys who are permanen mid carders.

Ezekiel Jackson, 80-1. No real heat yet. He got a mild pop as a face. I'm still searching for a heel reaction, and he's being overshadowed by Mason Ryan. Those two WILL lock horns on Sunday.

David Otunga, 100-1. Teasing a Nexus breakout for a long time. Won't happen this way. Would be a Wrestlemania main event on par with Taylor vs Bigelow.

The No Shots

Anyone in Nexus or Corre not named Punk, Ryan, Jackson, or Otunga, 250-1. No breakout stars yet. Gabriel and Slater could be a tag team though.

Anyone who used to be in Legacy, 350-1. "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there...with a do-over!" DiBiase is even outside the midcards. Rhodes is barely afloat. Orton isn't in the match. Somehow, Orton has the best chance. Ouch.

The announced field (Mysterio, R-Truth, Kidd, Ryder, Primo, Henry, etc.), 500-1. Fodder for the big guns.

Yoshi Tatsu, 1000-1. How is this guy still employed if no light heavyweight division exists?!

William Regal, 2000-1. How's that retirement going, Will?

Unannounced Wild Card, 75-1. Triple H. Batista. Hell, even Sting. Maybe we're in for a treat.

The 40-man format is facinating in that it gives the young roster a chance to get PPV time. As long as they don't go to that 1-minute between entries BS they did in 1995. Was I supposed to be impressed with Shawn Michaels winning a 38-minute Rumble from the #1 spot when all guys were announced in a half-hour? Give the Rumble its time. Fans care more about counting backwards from 10 and seeing who comes out anyway. Enjoy the event, and if you'd like to discuss the Rumble match, my odds, or anything else wrestling related, please visit the forums!

Wade Barrett, 12-1. I've been saying for a year now - and I wrote an editorial on this too - there's a unique opportunity here with a young heel and the Royal Rumble as it relates to the Undertaker. How huge would it be for a young talent like Barrett to cash in a Royal Rumble win to main event Wrestlemania - not for the WWE Title, not for the World Title, but for a chance to be the man who ends the Undertaker's streak? Wouldn't that lend an air of desperation and importance? 3 months of "Wade Barrett gave up the chance to win his first World Title at Wrestlemania because ending the Undertaker's streak means a permanent place in the history books." Then, if 'Taker isn't ready, Wade can go into a title match.

I had the same idea...in fact I emailed Justin LaBar about it. This is what I said...

"What if Wade Barrett won the Rumble. The following week on Smackdown both champions are there while Barrett makes a decision. He says he wants a different title...he wants Undertaker's streak. Taker makes his comeback and accepts his challenge."

The fact is...I would LOVE to see Barrett do this, but as LaBar brought up (and I sort of agree) there is enough backstory with Nexus burying Undertaker at Bragging rights that Barrett doesn't need this.

HOWEVER, WWE could still turn around and add this if Taker is ready to go. They could easily have Barrett say that he tried to take out Undertaker, but he survived...so now he is coming after is pride. He is coming after the legendary WM streak.

As for a winner at RR...I would LOVE to see Morrison win it and have the WM ME as Miz/Morrison for the title. These two competitors are rising stars and as you said IC, they put on a GREAT match on the first RAW of 2011. These two are 2 of my favorite superstars and that match is enough to make me buy the PPV. WWE just needs to get Riley away from Miz.

Great post IC, and I agree with most of it.

I still don't see anybody but John Cena taking this thing. It could be wishful thinking, but I think the WWE would love to see a John Cena-Miz main event at Wrestlemania as the payoff will be huge. The Miz has been more obnoxious than ever lately, and people will put up big money to see John Cena, who has been restored to all of his glory, take the belt off of Miz on the grandest stage of them all. That said, I say 3:1 is probably the perfect line.

I disagree with JoMo being the second best candidate though. I would give that honor to CM Punk. John Morrison has indeed been red hot, hasn't done something not worth watching in since his triple threat with Bryan and Miz, but he's nowhere near ready to main event Mania, especially if there isn't something bigger on the card, which I doubt there will be. Cena vs. Punk would be really good, but not huge. Wade Barrett vs. The Undertaker is definitely not going to be big enough, and I don't even know where they'd put Randy Orton, unless they had him and Edge face off for the World Heavyweight Championship, which while really interesting is still not enough to carry the card if they wanted a Morrison/Miz main event.

I also have a theory that Sheamus could win the Rumble. As you said he's slowed down a bit since the King of the Ring tournament win, but I think this may just be a way of making us forget about The Fiery Red Hand of Sheamus. Anyway, I think Sheamus wins and challenges Edge at Mania. This opens up Cena to either challenge Punk or Miz at Mania, frees Orton up to do whatever Cena doesn't do, or something else entirely. I think Sheamus has just about done all he can do on RAW, and he'd be the top heel on Smackdown if he went there, and they could really use a top heel with Sheamus' talents. I would actually say he is the third most likely to win besides Cena and Punk.

I agree that John Cena is the favorite to win this years' Royal Rumble. He has not been in the title scene for quite some time and it makes sense for the crowd's hero to make his triumphant return to the title scene at WrestleMania. You can have Punk winning the title at Elimination Chamber and the main event of WrestleMania becomes Punk vs Cena with Cena winning the title there. Simple straightforward booking. But the question is that does WWE want to do that?

I think it all depends on the availability of Triple H. If he is available then WWE might go with him winning the Rumble and Sheamus winning the title at Elimination Chamber and Triple H vs Sheamus being the main event of WrestleMania with Punk vs Cena facing off against each other in a gimmick match. WWE have been known to go along this route in the past. It happened as recently as last year with Jericho winning the title at EC and Edge winning the RR.

I disagree with the odds that you have placed on Morrison and Alberto Del Rio, IC. They aren't big enough names to be put in the main event of WrestleMania. If you are talking about Morrison and Del Rio having a chance to win the Rumble, then I would say that Ziggler has a better chance of winning the Rumble than either Morrison or Del Rio. Vickie will most probably be the GM of Smackdown now that Teddy Long is out and that might mean that Dolph is in line for a huge push. I would place Dolph's odds as 6-1.

And of course you have my sentimental favorite, Christian. Now we all know that WWE is not exactly high on Christian but if he is available I feel he has a chance. The heel roster of Smackdown is not really all that great; there are a lot of heels but they are mostly upper midcard heels. I feel that a Edge vs Christian face vs face encounter will do more draws than an Edge vs Ziggler or Edge vs ADR encounter. If he is available, I would say that Christian has a 30-1 odd of winning.

Excellent job, IC. I realy agreed with all of it. One thing stood out though, and that was JoMo's odds. I swear I thought I was the only one who was giving this guy a chance at winning. Right now, he has it all: Great head of steam (momentum), over with the fans, and most importantly KEY WINS. This guy has beaten Sheamus, a former WWE Champion, and a feared presence, a few times in recent weeks, and on top of that... He's looked excellent all around. Morrison finally seems to be living up to expectations, and if he picks up a Royal Rumble win, well, I think he may just become one of the biggest stars for the WWE in the coming years. They need a guy like him to step it up, and this is their biggest opportunity to further legitimize him as a WWE Championship contender. If Miz retains and Morrison wins, they already have an angle set up! Former tag partners going at it to prove which one is better once and for all. They'd have a lot less set-up to do of he won as opposed to other guys.

Although Cena is a contender, he will not win it. It's in Boston, but that'd be too obvious. I think CM Punk is the only other guy with a chance. It all hinges on the WWE Title match, really. If Orton wins I think it'll be Punk, possibly setting up a (dreaded) triple threat at 'Mania including Cena for the WWE Title. Like I said though, if Miz retains, I'm leaning towards Morrison. The things in Punk's favor are obviously the fact that he may be the top heel aside from Miz, and he's a legitimate main eventer. The reason I think a JoMo victory is more likely, though? It'd have to be the fact that Corre and Nexus will go at it. It's a subplot. Logically, wouldn't Barrett be gunning for Punk too? Punk is more of a "marked man" in this Rumble.

Again, great article IC.

From how the Rumble was being built on Raw, it has shades of 2009 with CM Punk in Randy Orton's role. Something tells me the match will come down to Cena, Punk, and his New Nexus. The final two will likely be Punk and Cena, with Cena winning one in front of the home crowd.

As much as I'd love to see Del Rio or even Morrison win it simply because of the "accolades" of winning a 40 man Rumble, this is the WWE we are talking about here. Cena is taking this.

HHH will likely return to screw Sheamus IMO. I just don't think it would be well served to have them battle over the title so simply have HHH eliminate himself while destroying Sheamus.

IF MASON RYAN WINS, SO HELP ME GOD I WILL NEVER WATCH WWE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
He is talented but it's just too early, way too early. 20-1 odds, hmmmmm very intresting though.

First of all, IC, you continue to do great work with this here odds thread.

I only have a couple disagreements.

1. I can totally see Sheamus winning, and would in fact put him in the favorites. I know everyone is expecting Triple H to return and feud with Sheamus by eliminating him. I don't see it that way. IF Triple H returns and feuds with Sheamus, I winning one of the belts at Elimination Chamber, and then Sheamus challenging him, because he knows he can do it (in his eyes with relative ease). Then I see Sheamus doing what he says he would do and pinning Triple H at Mania (clean, in the middle of the ring).

2. Alberto Del Rio's should be more like 4-1 or 9-2. ADR is easily the top heel on Smackdown right now, and what better way to completely solidify ADR by giving him the Rumble, and having him go against Edge (or a different Face SD champ) at Mania?

3. Even though Orton isn't announced in the match, I think he has better then 250:1 odds. Actually, I could see either him or Edge (if he lost the title) getting in the Rumble. With 40 superstars in the Rumble (the biggest Royal Rumble EVER!), they might want to make sure there are some more stars in it. In fact, let me throw another name out there. THE MIZ. Lets say he loses to Orton, then manages to finagle his way into the Rumble, and win it.

4. The only injured star you have on the list is Undertaker (who definitely deserves odds, mind you). I would actually think Christian (if able to return) might have a slight shot at it (in the Longshots section). They love the return-win thing (Edge, Cena), and while Christian isn't that caliber a star, he is a return. Hell, even Evan Bourne could be considered a long-long-shot/no-shot guy. If either did return, I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the final 4, and had a very good showing (RVD returned from injury in 2006 and was final 4 to go with the 2 previously mentioned)

As much as I'd love to see Del Rio or even Morrison win it simply because of the "accolades" of winning a 40 man Rumble, this is the WWE we are talking about here. Cena is taking this.
You mean the WWE that gave He who Shall Not Be Named the Rumble in 2004, or Rey Fucking Mysterio the rumble in 2006 (both of them going the distance mind you), or Brock Lesnar in 2003? Just because those 2 aren't the "Superman" of WWE doesn't mean they can't win it, or they won't go that way.

HHH will likely return to screw Sheamus IMO. I just don't think it would be well served to have them battle over the title so simply have HHH eliminate himself while destroying Sheamus.
This is Triple H we're talking about. This man spent the better part of a DECADE doing everything possible (kayfabe) to make sure he had the Title, or was in the Title hunt. There's zero chance in hell he should ever eliminate himself from a WrestleMania Main Event Title Shot.

This COULD work (having Triple H eliminate Sheamus), but I think it would be in the best interest of a potential reboot to the feud if Sheamus then got back in the ring and beat the holy hell out of The Game (he's pissed he got screwed out of the Rumble), and throws him over himself, or leaves his carcass for someone else.

Great Article, while I agree with it... I dont want to see Cena win the Rumble. Sigh.

So with the increased 40 man rumble, I have a question. Has the current WWE Champion ever been in the rumble?

This is the longest shot of them all, but I sort of see the Miz Retaining, and getting into the Rumble, only to Win. Challenge Edge at WM for the WHC, for a Title Unification.

Wouldn't that be some interesting poo poo :)

My predictions:

Sheamus will eliminate the most people, only to be eliminated himself by a returning Triple H, leading to a HHH/Sheamus rematch at Wrestlemania.

The final 5 will be something like Cena, Morrison, Del Rio, HHH and Punk

Winner: either Cena or Punk

I enjoyed the article, he made some very good points. I do have to draw issue on a few points though.

I think he is been very generous with the odds of CM Punk. 8/1 4th favourite? I would have him second behind John Cena. He is red hot right now, winning the Rumble right now with the help of Mason Ryan (who eliminates himself - sacrifice?) would do the New Nexus ALOT of credibility. In my opinion, John Morrison is not second favourite. He would be about 20/1 for me.

I would have a few quid on Triple H at 75/1. Yeh we dont know if he is even in it yet but seem generous. This is The Game we are talking about.
At 500/1, I would take a punt on Rey Mysterio too. Cant see it, but at them odds, why not!

I deffo see a few suprise entrants. One has to be Triple H or Taker...why boost it up to 40?

I'm going to outline my choice here and now. I don't think Del Rio is in with a shot, not the way he has been building himself leading to it with the talk of destiny. I think they are aiming with adding the 10 extra guys to have someone come through and win in a very rey mysterio underdog fashion, because whoever wins, unless they come in the last five or so is going to look very good for it. So Cena is always a good shot, he can play the underdog until the last moment well. And he loves to be in the title race near mania, it hasn't been anywhere near him for a good while is people remember.

But my pick is the guy who has been on a great winning streak and also has not divulged themselves to be a royal rumble contender, a certain someone with a win over a US champ? I think if booked right a Miz/Morrison feud could be great. OK so neither of them are fully fledged main eventers quite yet, not for the likes of mania you might say. This is an oppertunity to change that completely, how they ran with those two guys up until mania would totally change the landscape of the WWE and it's youth movement, another couple of guys to throw around the main event when needed is always welcomed.

If I was booking it. Morrison comes in at an odd spot, say around the # 10 mark. He doesn't do anything flashy during the match and nobody is really watching him, just like nobody was watching michaels at the end of the '07 rumble. He is constantly on the cuff of being eliminated in a Ric Flair fashion but because of his athleticism he can fein eliminations very convincingly and in a variety of ways. Before anyone notices, all the Mark Henrys and Ezekiel Jacksons are gone and there is just say Barrett, Punk, Cena, Sheamus and Morrison left in the final five. All three heels gang up on Cena who is still on his feet at this point after freshly being entered in around 35-40, they try to get him eliminated but he does his miraculous recovery jargan and boom punk and barrett get eliminated. Sheamus comes up from behind cena and just guides him over the top rope. He walks over to the downed morrison and irish whip, morrison holds the rope, sheamus goes for brode kick and gets pushed over the top.

BAM, it works and leads to Miz and Morrison. Now this is the important bit. They have to make this feud all about the history between them. Do another dirt sheet the way they did a couple of years ago when they faced then. Have Morrison reverting to his old style of talking, much much better and just have everything revolve around their tag team basically, but don't just do a bit of mic work from either side, a few after match attacks by Miz, I guarantyee if that happens it'll be terrible. Be inventive. The only reasons I can see Morrison doing it is his winning streak, the fact he is in the upper mid-card but hasn't mentionned the rumble despite his winning streak and the tag team history between the two guys providing Miz wins. The title match is on first so if Miz doesn't win against Orton I'd immediately discount him as a possibility. But I really really see see Morrison's majorly underdogish style gelling well with the type of match. The commentators were also noting how long he'd been in previous rumble's, only hope that's a double bluff. I'd score it for him, Punk or Cena.

Punk because he could use the title whereas The Corre don't need one if Barrett is coming up against taker, and Punk feud with Orton could be top banana. However once again, if orton doesn't win the belt in the previous match I'd probably put punk on very low odds in the match. So Cena seems a good possibility all round, can feud with either Miz or Orton successfully no problems and the title has been outside of his grasp for months now, he's probably been in rehab for that. He fits as well as anyone, but I just see Morrison's style and the potantial miz clash swaying it for me.

I think you have got it spot on for the most part (as usual) IC but there are a few things we disagree with.

I really think the odds on HHH should be higher, I know it is hard to put good odds on a man that is out injured and we are uncertain as to wether of not he is ready to go, but I think 75-1 is a bit high. The past two years we have seen surprise returns to win the rumble, it has almost become somewhat of a tradition I would be very surprised if we don't see him back at the Rumble to be honest.

Apart from that we agree though, Cena has to be the favourite, he has everything going his way to win it. He hasn't held the title since Fatal Four Way (I think?) so a title reign in the near future is imminent for him, to regain the title at WM would be pretty awesome. He already has three feuds ready to go for the event too in Miz, Orton and Punk all of which would make for great Mania main events.

I think Punk would have to be second favourite though, I just can't see the WWE having inexperienced guys at the main event level such as JoMo and Alberto fight for the title at WM. Punk has it all going for him though, he is getting amazing heat and he has the Nexus to held him win the Rumble I see no reason why Cena couldn't walk in to WM as champ and face Punk.

Awesome post man!

I'm with a lot of what you say and what others have said...Triple H eliminates Sheamus in a surprise entry. I can see Dolph Ziggler worming his way into this Rumble with the help of Vickie but getting jumped on by everybody who is already in the ring. I can see the final two being 'Punk vs Cena', 'Morrison vs Del Rio (the future world champ face off)' or, at a long shot, 'Christian vs Cena'. Of those three scenarios the winners will likely be Punk, Morrison and, hopefully, Christian respectively. What I would most like is to see a superstar last a little while before winning...in the largest RR, surely the thing to do is to have somebody actually outlast some people before winning rather than a No. 40 win...

But besides my rant, it looks as if it is being built as a 'Cena vs Punk/Nexus' rumble...having said that, my pick is John Morrison.

John Cena, 3-1. Early line had John at 3-2, but I lowered his chances. His feud with CM Punk has become really compelling TV, and unless Punk gets the WWE Title between now and Wrestlemania, John winning the Rumble doesn't make a load of sense. Still, the Rumble is in John's home town of Boston, and with The Undertaker unsure of a return, you will want a big name main eventing Wrestlemania. There is the added wrinkle of if Randy Orton beats The Miz in the Rumble title match, and an Orton / Cena fight at Wrestlemania.

I'm more leaning towards the idea that Cena will end up winning a spot in one of the title matches instead of actually winning the Rumble itself, or will go on to win the title at EC much like in '09 where Orton was fueding with the McMahons in January, and ended up winning the Rumble, and HHH became the champion after that, so the fued could continue. I could easily see that happening for Cena and Punk.

John Morrison, 5-1. I like John's positioning heading into the Rumble. He put together a nice win against daniel Bryan on Raw recently, seemed to get the best of S(h)eamus, and to be honest, the Miz / Morrison match on the first Raw of 2011 was fantastic. These two could absolutely be booked well together, have the chemistry, etc. I would worry that Cena / Punk could overshadow it.

I just can't picture it. Probably because i couldn't care less about the guy, but i just can't see him winning the Royal Rumble. MiTB? Yeah i'd have no problem accepting JoMo as a MiTB winner, just for some reason, not the Rumble.

Alberto del Rio, 7-1. I don't think he's going to take it, but then again, Smackdown NEEDS legit talent. Who is Edge's challenger at Wrestlemania going to be? Dolph Ziggler again? I'm sorry but no - Ziggler right now is where Shawn Michaels was in Survivor Series 1992. Good enough to wrestle a title match on the card, even as the main event, but just as long as there's something else attractive on the card as well.

I completely understand where you're coming from IC, but again, i can only see Del Rio's constant hyping of himself, resulting in him being eliminated by an upper-midcarder, and then re-enter to eliminate that person, thereby setting up a feud between the two at WM. Someone like Kofi for example.

CM Punk, 8-1. This especially makes sense if Orton goes over Miz. CM Punk is red hot right now, has his New Nexus team in his corner, and has proven he can run as a major performer.

My personal pick to win. Punk's gone from injured list, to 3rd announcer to leader of the biggest stable in the company. Ok, so the SES flopped horrifically, and Punk's been leader of Nexus now for what, 3 weeks, PLUS Corre are already getting in their faces, and the current creative plans allegedly feature a Nexus/Corre fued going on for some time this year, but based on the work he's done with Cena already, and the heights his fued with Jeff Hardy got to as well, i can see 2011 being the year of the straight edge messiah.

A lot of people seemed angered by Taker/HBK II overshadowing BOTH title matches last year, so i doubt they'd follow this route. Barrett does still seem to be Taker's most likely opponent going in, but with the doubts surrounding Taker's health, i don't think the 'E' would go this route unless they knew well in advance that Taker was coming bak, and if they did just announce it in February, i think they'd struggle to garner interest. Obviously loads of people watch to see if Taker'll lose anyway, but Barrett in his rookie year, facing Taker with only a month's hype? No way is that going to draw as well as Barrett v Taker with hype beginning NOW.

S(h)eamus, 15-1. I feel like the Irishman has lost his heat since becoming King of the Ring, which is a shame. He has the skills on the mic and a clear ring presence. He's the most dominant 2nd year superstar since Lesnar. He could make a title run against Orton work just fine. The major knock here is the idea of a potential S(h)eamus / Triple H Wrestlemania re-match. Though how great would a tag team match reuniting evolution alumni Orton and HHH vs Miz and S(h)eamus be on the Raw before Wrestlemania?

I personally would rather see Sheamus on SD so that we DON'T have to see him wrestle Orton or Cena again for SOME time. With two world title wins, KOTR AND his 'dominance' over The Game last year, does this guy really need to win the first Rumble he enters as well? Next year, fine, but he doesn't need to win every gimmick match he has first time, every time (yeah ok, he lost at HIAC, but let's not count that)

The Big Show, 24-1. He's been a huge part of the WWE for years, and he has to be winding down his career. When we look back at him after he retires, we may well ask ourselves "how did a guy this size make it to being the final guy eliminated in the Rumble twice and never win it?" You have to factor him in, especially with his recent relevance.

I think Show would be more likely to have what Kane just had. A decent length title reign in the late summer/fall time, rather than resting the hopes of a WM on his shoulders.

Kane, 27-1. Another HUGE guy, another HUGE Rumble performer, another HUGE surprise that he's never really sniffed a win. I doubt he's in line for another major push like he was this past year, though him working with New Nexus has potential...

I think Kane'll be one of the last superstars left over, maybe even THE last eliminated, but yeah, no way will he win it.

The Undertaker, 30-1. Just humor me. We were SURE that John Cena was out of a Rumble 2 years ago due to injuries, and his return shocked us. And Edge last year. You mean to tell me that if #40 is set to come out and that gong rings, that hundreds of thousands of fans won't go bat shit?

Took him 17 years to win it the first time BEFORE he started getting hurt frequently, so again, no.

Drew McIntyre, 50-1. My how the mighty have fallen. Wasn't this guy the chosen one? His personal life may be biting him in the ass here.

Maybe? Isn't he now doing what Matt Hardy and Christian had to do for him all of last year? Which was just let him beat them up? Isn't he now doing that for some SD rookie or something?

Daniel Bryan, 65-1. Lacks the mic presence to build to a major Wrestlemania payoff.

Plus who'd want a WM match that was 80% kicking and a lot of rolling around in the LaBelle Lock?

Kofi Kingston, 70-1. Not only is he the president of the Shelton Benjamin fan club, he's also a client. Could be another in a long line of ultra-athletic guys who are permanen mid carders.

IC champion, so no hope in hell of winning the Rumble.

Ezekiel Jackson, 80-1. No real heat yet. He got a mild pop as a face. I'm still searching for a heel reaction, and he's being overshadowed by Mason Ryan. Those two WILL lock horns on Sunday.

Hard to believe that this guy actually managed to become LESS relevant than when he was Kendrick's bodyguard, despite winning a championship since then. Ryan and Jackson may well 'lock horns on Sunday' but i sure as hell won't care. Brian Kendrick has a better shot of winning the Rumble than Big Zeke does.

David Otunga, 100-1. Teasing a Nexus breakout for a long time. Won't happen this way. Would be a Wrestlemania main event on par with Taylor vs Bigelow.

Definitely not. Barrett, Bryan, Slater, Gabriel, hell even Sheffield and Tarver would be better picks than freakin' Otunga.

Anyone who used to be in Legacy, 350-1. "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there...with a do-over!" DiBiase is even outside the midcards. Rhodes is barely afloat. Orton isn't in the match. Somehow, Orton has the best chance. Ouch.

I swear it's only because of their HOF daddy's that either of these two are still employed.

And the rest aren't worth commenting on.

So yeah, my pick goes to Punk as the hands on favourite, with probably Cena second and Del Rio 3rd.

I think when it comes to Cena being the favorite, you're correct. In fact, given the current names confirmed for the Rumble match, I don't see anyone outside of Cena and maybe Punk winning it.

The reasons for Cena to win are obvious; face of the company, the Rumble is in Boston, etc.

Punk is leading the biggest heel faction on Raw right now, but Wade Barrett and The Corre are getting as much hype as The New Nexus, so I'm not so sure he's in a great position to win anymore. Sheamus probably isn't read for the Main Event at Mania yet, plus he has unfinished business with HHH.

I doubt a Smackdown guy will win this year, with Edge taking it last year. I think WWE likes having the Rumble winner on Raw, and letting that angle play out on the A-show. However, if someone from Smackdown is going to win, it's probably going to be Del Rio..and I don't like it. He's not big-time, and he's really nothing special. Way overrated, IMO.

I have two major problems with this years Rumble.

1. Not many major stars. Orton and Edge are in title matches, Undertaker and HHH are injured, Jericho, Batista and HBK have left the company, etc. Cena looks to be the clear favorite because no one else in the Rumble has even close to his name recognition. Maybe Orton loses the title match via Miz cheating, and enters the Rumble? I hope.

2. I know WWE is trying to build new stars, but I think most of these young guys winning the Rumble would be completely underwhelming. Morrison, Sheamus, Del Rio, etc. Are these guys ready for the Main Event at Mania? I don't think so.

I have no clue what's going to happen, but if I had to bet money, I wouldn't bet against Cena. It's in Boston, and I cannot think of anyone else outside of Orton and Taker who WWE would want in the main event at Mania.

i would say that sheamous is a good chance of winning, though for WM27 i wanna see sheamous vs triple hhh so they can continue their feud, so im hoping that sheamous is doing good no one is in the ring but him (early on) then he starts bragging a lil then "its time to play the game" and all you see is a look of both shock and horror on sheamous' face as triple hhh comes down the ramp and takes sheamous to school.[/COLOR]the undertaker at the rumble!? that would be awesome, the crowd would go bananas if the 40th guy was about to come and the gong rung and the deadman came out and dominated everything!!!!, very unlikely since he isnt expected to be able to wrestle until WM at latest.
Batista would be a nice suprise but highly unlikely, recent rumour is that stung may be going back to TNA soon.
i think barret has a good chance cause of the corre as does punk cause of the new nexus they have number advantages over the rest.
mason ryan (aka batistwo) winning would be interesting, but personally, he would have to walk away from nexus first and let him be his own character.
what about skip sheffield (if as current rumour has it he returns at the rumble), he could come back and win it, they could let skip be on his own, to be honest when i first saw him on nxt season one, i was almost thinking he could be with the right steps and pushes the next stone cold steve austin.

IC as usual you make some excellent points.

It does make sense for John Cena to be the favourite, he is the biggest star in the company, he is the golden boy of the WWE, its in his home town, you want the biggest star to headline WM etc etc, but I agree with your statement about CM Punk and Cena feuding right now. These 2 need to lock up at WM to end their rivalry, and unless Punk someone wins the title from Orton while feuding with Cena, there would be no point having Cena win the Rumble. Punk V Cena is a big enough match to take a high-card spot at WM without a title being involved.

Wade Barrett would be my pick. If Undertaker v Barrett is pencilled in for WM already (depending on the Dead Man's health), then this could be a great move by the WWE. Barrett refusing a title shot, just to be the guy to remove the Undertaker from the WWE once and for all would legitimately shock everyone, and once again re-affirm the importance of "The Streak", while keeping the world title matches open for other feuds to develop.

The only argument I can see against this is that SD is in dramatic need, and has been for a while, for new top-level talent. Having Barrett competing for the title at WM would help to establish himself as a genuine star, and put him in a very strong position at the top of the card.

My other pick for the RR is John Morrison. He has had a great run lately, has all the potential in the world, and has the full package to be a main event level superstar if he improves his mic work- which he does seem to be doing. He has all the history with The Miz, so a ladder match for the title at WM would be a big deal. I think this one could steal the show if it happened. Plus, JoMo winning would leave Cena free for Punk ,and Barrett free to challenge a healthy Undertaker to a match anyway.

So in my eyes there are only 2 credible winners of the RR this year, Wade Barrett or John Morrison

IC as usual you make some excellent points.

Wade Barrett would be my pick. If Undertaker v Barrett is pencilled in for WM already (depending on the Dead Man's health), then this could be a great move by the WWE. Barrett refusing a title shot, just to be the guy to remove the Undertaker from the WWE once and for all would legitimately shock everyone, and once again re-affirm the importance of "The Streak", while keeping the world title matches open for other feuds to develop.
[/B]

it would be a shock but lets face it, WM will be nothing without the deadman making his streak bigger, besides, if he takes better care of himself, he could squeeze quiete a few years outta him yet. never count the deadman out, cause for him, its not over till the fat lady sings

I give Wade Barrett a 65% chance of victory in the rumble. With how much everyone thinks he and taker will go at 'Mania. I think it fits Barrett's character too even if 'Taker isn't champion, he just wants to prove he's the best, and the storyline has already been kind of set with The Nexus burying the Undertaker. The only problem I would see in this is it could make the rumble kind of a throw away with how solid this fued already seems.

I don't know if this had been brought up yet but here me out. What If the Miz won the Royal Rumble which will make him look stronger then ever and that gives wwe a chance to something. If Miz justs deafeats Orton its so Cena Miz wreslemania but my way you don't actually know anything. You could have a Chamber match of Cena orton punk sheamus hhh and morrison. Anyone could see 4 or 5 of thoses guys headlining right. Just a thought sound all right?

Let's see how I did.

The Favorites

John Cena, 3-1.
Made sense, and he was among the last few. This was a safe pick, but I'm glad to went from 3-2 down to 3-1 based on how obvious it all looked. He doesn't need the Rumble win to make his presumed Wrestlemania match with Miz look enticing.

John Morrison, 5-1.
John may have had the moment of the night with that Spiderman like save. I should have realized that he wasn't winning the match when he did that, because the risk would have been too great.

Alberto del Rio, 7-1. I don't think he's going to take it, but then again, Smackdown NEEDS legit talent.
Pretty good on this one. It was still a surprise, but at 7-1, he was my #3 favorite and that looks pretty smart in hind sight.

CM Punk, 8-1.
Punk leaves the Rumble with a feud with Orton ready to go.

The Outside Shots

Wade Barrett, 12-1.
He had a nice showing. I hope Taker is ready for him.

S(h)eamus, 15-1. I feel like the Irishman has lost his heat since becoming King of the Ring, which is a shame.
He was a 15-1 as opposed to a 10-1 due to the anticipation of a HHH return that never happened.

Mason Ryan, 20-1.
Nice showing, eliminating Khali.

The announced field (Mysterio, R-Truth, Kidd, Ryder, Primo, Henry, etc.), 500-1. Fodder for the big guns.
Was I the only one who thought - FOR A SECOND - that Santino could do it?

Unannounced Wild Card, 75-1. Triple H. Batista. Hell, even Sting. Maybe we're in for a treat.

Had Booker T done it in the shape he was in last night - would it have been a shock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back