IC25 and NorCal Go To Smackdown - Part 1 and 2

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
So on Tuesday, April 28th, the Wrestlezone Tag Team known as Irish-Canadian25 and Mighty NorCal had their second rendezvous - this time a Smackdown taping at Madison Square Garden. ECW and Superstars as well!

For IC25, this was old hat. Been to MSG some 12-15 times. A few hockey games, a few concerts, a house show or two.

But the coolest part of this for me was actually NorCal. The fact that he'd never been to NYC, Times Square, or MSG. Seeing his face in absolute awe of "The World's Most Famous Arena" was a really neat experience. Great to see him so jacked up for this.

100_0480.jpg

Since this was our second time meeting, there was no awkwardness. We greeted each other like 2 old college buddies with a cordial handshake / hug thing. Then I got to meet his Air Force roommate A.J.; an equally awesome, funny, and laid back gentleman.

The experience with NorCal are always cool because, unlike his WZ persona, he is a true gentleman in real life. Even addressing the clerk at the GNC at NY Penn Station as "ma'am" after each statement or question.

Incidentally, GNC is where we had our first meal of the night, and loaded up on Red Bull, 6-hour energy, etc. We wanted to be fired up for the event ahead. We also found AJ a smoothy - apparently his mission in life. To each his own.

Following dinner at GNC (NorCal and I have both added 10-15 lbs of muscle since we last hung out, so dinner at GNC came naturally), we hung out on the steps of the arena so NorCal could comment on how many attractive females hung around NYC. He then told me "but I'm a taken man now" and proceeded to tell me about his girlfriend. During all of this, I texted Becky, who shot NorCal an e-hug. Aw.

100_0482.jpg

After my obligatory spitting on the NY Rangers mural by the entrance (I believed it would curse then for their game 7 vs Washington that night, it worked AND it backfired), we went inside prior to the opening of the doors.

As we hung out by the door (and I got to hear the story of how NorCal almost sacked Aaron Rodgers in high school...ALMOST) we noticed a familiar and obnoxious sound - kids who aren't old enough to know who the fuck Ric Flair TRULY is yelling out pointless "WOOOOOOO's," prompting the crowd of sheep to follow suit. Average body fat percentage of the crowd - 30%.

We then also noticed the overwhelming number of people with two specific peices of merch - John Cena spinner belts and Jef Hardy gloves.

Finally we were heading in, and on the escalator to our seats. While drunken fans yelled out "Cena Sux" NorCal and I channeled our inner SlyFox and chanted back "He Draws Money! He Sells Merch!" Feel free to sig this, Sly.

As we hit our seats, well, NorCal, shall we say, "marked out." Big time. SO we stopped for a pose.

100_0484-1.jpg

Here's a really neat part of it all - NorCal and I had enough to discuss outside of Wrestlezone, that it wasn't until hour #3 at the event that we even discussed any of you, or any "business." We did breifly discuss a few of you, our mutual adoration for KB, our mutual disdain for 48.7, Luther's adminning, etc. It didn't last long, though it did remind me to text Chris Cash to let him know we were at the MSG event.

Matches kicked off, and started - slowly. ECW came on first, and people went pretty nuts for Christian. The smart thing with ECW being on so early is that fact that fans still have enough energy to pop loud for guys like Christian.

NorCal and I just cheered EVERYONE. Jack Swagger especially. Though Dreamer didn't get the "Hometown Hero" welcome I'd expect. A few people chanted "E-C-Dub," myself included, but there were so many little kids there who'd have NO CLUE what that meant.

When people started the "WHAT?" thing after each Swagger statement, I calmly suggested to them (at 200 decibels) that it's time to move on because that was 8 years ago.

100_0502-1.jpg

To be continued...

The irony of this entire situation is gripping. I cant see the pictures. and Becca JUST so happened to be online when IC posted his reveiw.

I never knew IC was so big. If I cared enough to look it up, I would add him to my bar fight list.

So, if I ever get in a bar fight is is now NorCal, Wes, IC, Gunnz, and this AJ dude looks big, so him too.

Awesome beginning. Can't wait for more. Tell me there's pics of the girls who propositioned NorCal.

I'd make it now if it wasn't 4a.m. Oh wow you both look amazing.

Ooh, anyway, 2 things. First of all, I have a picture request for next time you meet. Second of all, now that I've read it, you have GOT to have mentioned your biggest fan. Just got to.

I never knew IC was so big. If I cared enough to look it up, I would add him to my bar fight list.

So, if I ever get in a bar fight is is now NorCal, Wes, IC, Gunnz, and this AJ dude looks big, so him too.
Awesome beginning. Can't wait for more. Tell me there's pics of the girls who propositioned NorCal.

he is from New Orleans. Would stab someone without hesitation

So, lemme tell you about my salad...

ECW got kinda blah after a while. We did notice two things - 1) Ricky Ortiz sucks, and 2) nobody cares about Evan Bourne until he hits the high spot. Ah, the curse of the spot monkey - if you're not jumping and flipping, you're not getting a crowd reaction. Nobody made a sound during his match until he hit the shooting star press. THEN, people went wild.

Prior to the main event, I went out in search of food. Healthy food. I found a stand that said a "Grilled Chicken Salad" was available. I risked it. The attendant double checked with me twice - "you said salad right?" Yes, sir, a SALAD. I guess it's rare for pro wrestling fans to order non-fried foods.

Well it took the entire main event of ECW - Dreamer vs Christian - to get my salad, but I watched the match on he plasma TV a the snack stand. When I got my salad and Diet Pepsi, it was back to the seats.

Folks, I can't tell you shit about the taping of Superstars. Didn't see it really. I was WAY to fixated on the SALAD!

Most sports arena's Chicken Salads are a few strips of Grillen Chicken of suspect quality and lettuce with dressing. Maybe 2 cherry tomatoes and a cucumber slice. Not this salad. We're talking Hearts of Palm, Raddishes, Olives, Artichoke Hearts, HUGE peices of chicken, romaine, tomatoes, celery, cucumbers - everything I'd grab from a Charlie Brown's salad bar less sunflower seeds and chopped chicken liver. The spicy Honey Mustard was killer. The salad was one of the highlights of my night, as NorCal and AJ laughed at what a dork I am.

Teddy Long comes out to kick off Smackdown, but before the camera's start to roll. And he announces the "Dark Match Main Event." Mysterio, Batista, and Cena vs Orton, Jericho, and Edge. When people heard that they'd be seeing Cena AND Orton wrestle a Smackdown event, everybody went ape shit, including us. We were thrilled. Def. got our money's worth on that match along.

The kick off to SD was appropriate:

100_0506.jpg

Chris Jericho came out to a chorus of boos, except NorCal and I, cheering wildly. Especially me, as the world's biggest Jericho fan. Funny thing happened - the crowd in our section and the section near us, well, they turned on ME for cheering Jericho so fervently. So I, not being outdone, gave it right back. Cupped my ears telling them how quiet they were, prompting them to boo me - and Jericho - louder. Drew the ire of several fans. A 9-year old kid a few rows up looked up at me and said "Jericho sucks." Shit kid and his Hardy gloves. I looked back down at him without missing a beat and simply replied "YOUR FACE." He then ran to Daddy.

100_0515.jpg

Smackdown was a great show. We all really thought Punk was cashing in MITB. Morrison vs Benjamin was servicable, though I had to walk poor NorCal through the match. He learned a thing or three. We also chit chatted about the tournament a bit in between matches.

Jeff Hardy was easily the most over guy of the night. Kids love this guy. Every big move he hit, the place shook.

Kane was, as he always is, a great live performer because of how he emphasizes every move and hits the mat hard and flat, so the sound is audible everywhere. He's such a talented performer.

Fans did not take kindly to my railing that the Jericho DQ was a bad call, as I felt he was merely trying to toss the chair out of the ring to prevent injury. Rey just got in the way. Jericho got screwed.

For those who saw SD this week, you are aware of Cryme Tyme's little Bronx Diva Dance-off. It sucked. HARD. To prove it, here's a candid of NorCal during that segment, shortly before being propositioned on his way to the rest room by a local indie chick wrestler-

100_0517.jpg

Yes, folks, Diva dance offs = BAD IDEAS. However NorCal seems to enjoy going places with me, because with me as his wingman, he gets hit on a lo. First he gets "Fuck Me" eyes from Missy Hyatt at Fan Slam, and then the indie chick asks him for a good-faith throw down. He resisted, because a) he has a girlfriend now, and b) she was a quasi-dyke.

The Punk / Edge match with Umaga's run-in got the crowd pretty fired up, but then Cena's music hit. Place went BALLISTIC. Batista the same deal. Even Orton got a mixed pop. The dark match main event was SICK, with Rey working much of it for the faces. Every finisher was hit, including a nice Jericho Code Breaker on Rey off the top rope.

All in all, the event was a blast, and yet another successful representation of WZ Forums by NorCal and I. We hope sooner or later we can get Shocky in for one of these events, as well as RVDGurl, Eternal Dragon (when of age) and several others. Until then, we'll gladly carry the flag and remind you all that making friends on the internet is not as creepy as you think.

100_0519.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back