I don't get where Cena's coming from....

cubuff37

Occasional Pre-Show
Ok so this past week, Cena came out and explained that Punk is taking a backseat to everyone else. Then he goes onto explain that CM Punk needs to beat Cena at NOC to define his career and truly become great. Okay....

#1. CM Punk has had a breakout year and is considered by millions to be the best wrestler in the world. He has been the WWE's most talked about superstar all year. I know Punk is a heel and he's trying to make Cena look like a hero, but how do they figure CM Punk has been in the backseat? With the exception of Wrestlemania, he's been the headliner.

#2. What makes this title defense so substantial? How is it any different from the other times Punk has defeated Cena over the past year? How does Cena figure that winning at NOC will define CM Punk's career? I just don't understand.

Anyway, the thing that really sucks is NOC takes place in Cena's hometown. And if you're a face, and you have a main event match in your hometown, you're going to win. For example, CM Punk won the WWE title in Chicago, the Rock beat Cena at Wrestlemania in Miami, let's face it, Punk's reign is over.

His title reign has been long but lackluster. He's consistently taking a back seat to something else (mostly Cena). Wins over Miz, Del Rio, Daniel Bryan, Kane and Jericho 2012 are not exactly monumental, memorable, or inspiring.

Even Punk's wins over Cena have not been exactly respectable. Beating Cena by pinning Big Show after Cena weakened him is not exactly a crowning acheivement. His other wins had Cena's leg on (or was it under) the rope and Vince/Johnny Ace's interference.

Punk's title reign has been fine but what stands out about him remains his "shoot" from last year. A clean victory over Cena for the title would change that. Beating Lesnar or HHH would help as well. Right now it looks like he is about to work a mini-program with Lawler that will not help his credibility as champ and certainly won't make anyone think he is any closer to being BITW.

Being champion in professional wrestling is not like winning the Super Bowl. There are other things that matter.

#1. CM Punk has had a breakout year and is considered by millions to be the best wrestler in the world. He has been the WWE's most talked about superstar all year. I know Punk is a heel and he's trying to make Cena look like a hero, but how do they figure CM Punk has been in the backseat? With the exception of Wrestlemania, he's been the headliner.
Since Wrestlemania, he is NOT the main-event in the PPVs. It is either John Cena, Brock Lesnar, or Triple H. Imagine yourself as the champion, then they are putting another guy in the main-event. That is a complete disrespect. Punk is taking a backseat up until now, he didn't say anything and let John Cena have his way.

#2. What makes this title defense so substantial? How is it any different from the other times Punk has defeated Cena over the past year? How does Cena figure that winning at NOC will define CM Punk's career? I just don't understand.
CM Punk didn't really beat Cena cleanly, as in 1 on 1, both are 100% and no interference.

Anyway, the thing that really sucks is NOC takes place in Cena's hometown. And if you're a face, and you have a main event match in your hometown, you're going to win. For example, CM Punk won the WWE title in Chicago, the Rock beat Cena at Wrestlemania in Miami, let's face it, Punk's reign is over.
Not this time. Punk will win for sure, that is why they are emphasizing the length of his title reign. And his attack on the Rock on RAW 1000th forge himself to be the champion until Royal Rumble.

I don't see the problem about Punk pinning Big Show after Cena weaken him. That happens in Triple Threats & its happen before at Summerslam.
Example: Summerslam 1999. Mankind steals the win after Triple H hit the Pedigree on Austin. Yes, Mick did do his finisher on Austin after getting rid of Triple H but still, it counts as stealing the win since Austin was already out from the Pedigree.

When he says that beating him at NOC will define his career, I don't think it has anything to do with not beating him cleanly the last two times they faced off or how he retained at Summerslam. I think what he means is that if he beats him at NOC, it will define his current WWE Title reign and he will go down in history as one of the greatest WWE Champions hence it will define his career. His last WWE Title reign & wins over Cena don't matter because this is a new title reign and he hasn't defended the belt against Cena, 1 on 1, nor pinned him to retain the belt in this current reign. Cena is the top dog and like Ric Flair says, "To Be The Man, You Gotta Beat The Man".

Punk has yet to beat Cena cleanly. Furthermore, beating Cena in his hometown would solidify Punk's career in some sense. I agree its nothing compared to the past summer but a promo is a promo and they have to sell the usually lackluster NOC ppv somehow. And last but not least, Punk has had an almost year long reign with the title. Cena SHOULD beat Punk at NOC because its always more fun when the heel is chasing the title.

1. I know CM Punk is meant to be the whining Champion and is just about to turn heel

2. I know Cena is meant to be the goodest of the good and that what he is meant to say is righter than right

But everything that Cena said was wrong and it made me hate him. To say that Punk's reign means nothing until he beats him is BS. I think that Cena saying that a World Champion is not the best is wrong. No matter who Punk has beaten he has beaten the #1 contenders the WWE have given him time after time, so Cena is saying the WWE isn't doing its job and he is saying that Punk is what the IWC has been and that Punk is a mid card champion, or a mid carder playing main eventer.

Cena came off as being so full if himself and even though Punk fad beaten him several times, Cena seems to have concur fly forgotten that. Cena sucks more than ever after that "retelling" of history.

1. I know CM Punk is meant to be the whining Champion and is just about to turn heel

2. I know Cena is meant to be the goodest of the good and that what he is meant to say is righter than right

But everything that Cena said was wrong and it made me hate him. To say that Punk's reign means nothing until he beats him is BS. I think that Cena saying that a World Champion is not the best is wrong. No matter who Punk has beaten he has beaten the #1 contenders the WWE have given him time after time, so Cena is saying the WWE isn't doing its job and he is saying that Punk is what the IWC has been and that Punk is a mid card champion, or a mid carder playing main eventer.

Cena came off as being so full if himself and even though Punk fad beaten him several times, Cena seems to have concur fly forgotten that. Cena sucks more than ever after that "retelling" of history.

Never looked at it that way. You're right though, that's pretty arrogant of Cena. Although it's most likely that creative told him to say that.

Everything You said would be correct if

1. Being champion actually meant you were the best. Lets face it being the champion no longer means that.
2. If Punk actually beat cena clean before then you would be right he would have nothing to prove.
3. If Punk was actually Main Eventing.

Punk has yet to beat Cena cleanly. Furthermore, beating Cena in his hometown would solidify Punk's career in some sense. I agree its nothing compared to the past summer but a promo is a promo and they have to sell the usually lackluster NOC ppv somehow. And last but not least, Punk has had an almost year long reign with the title. Cena SHOULD beat Punk at NOC because its always more fun when the heel is chasing the title.

Who HAS beaten Cena cleanly in the last year and a half?
In the last 4 years?

Punk should continue with the belt because nobody is buying into this "CM Punk heel" garbage- The HEEL should NOT be getting the loudest cheers at house shows or anywhere else for that matter.

As far as where Cena is coming from I agree I can't seem to figure out. So in order for his title reign to mean something he has to beat Cena? Because Cena is the greatest wrestler ever right? I mean I know when Vince is blowing him he tells him that but come on. Punk has had a great run. He's had solid matches and yes he has taken a backseat every PPV essentially to Cena. But remember
Cena= Biggest pant-load EVER.
Won't lose cleanly to anyone (Don't even say Rock because holy crap we all know where this nonsense with the Rock is going)
Last time I really remember Cena being beaten cleanly was Batista in 2008? maybe an occasional fluke CLEAN win here and there but nothing really that speaks out in masses. Even his loss to CM Punk at MiTB was tainted because of Vince & Johnny Ace.

Punk needing to beat Cena for his title reign to mean anything is garbage. Watch- Even in Cena's hometown/state he won't get as loud an ovation as CM Punk does.

Im no Cena fan but Cena is the main event, he is the biggest draw the most reactions ( positive or negative) So yeah if Punk wants to define his career Cena is the man he needs to build a good program with and beat.

CM Punk has been champion for 9 months yet in those 9 months he has nothing really memorable ( yes he had some great matches with Daniel Bryan) but as great as those matches were wrestling wise his 9 month reign has been forgettable. We all still give Punk this praise from his Pipe bomb a year ago BUT THE TRUTH IS HE HAS DONE NOTHING SINCE. His reign is more boring than Brett Hart's pre- Austin

I expected more from Punk but as The Rock said to him last year its not about the one line you gave that makes you a star its how long can you prolong that gold standard after you set it, and Punk has fallen well below the line that pipe bomb started him off at.

Since then Punk has not even been the star of his storylines

His matches with Bryan and Kane were all about building up AJ
With Dolph ( seriously how quickly have we forgotten that feud even his mini feud with Jericho came up short

I really would like to know the IWC 's love affair for Punk he is the champion but he is not best in the world.

He is not the best wrestler ( I give that to D Bryan)
He is not the best on the Mic ( I give that to Cena)
Punk is given his spot cause they need to build someone new.
I like Punk but what Cena said was true, arrogant but true Take away CM Punks pipebomb last year and he would be a upper mid card low main event talent

You also complain about Cena never losing cleanly yet CM Punk hasn't lost in 9 months PERIOD
If you just hate Cena say that you hate Cena, dont use your hate for Cena to justify CM Punk
If Cena got hurt or left there is no way anyone can tell me that CM Punk can fill the stadiums and sell Merch the same way sorry just not going to happen

First of all, I don't think punk's reign is ending. But if he does, then Cena is going at Rock for the title at the Royal Rumble, leaving Punk to possibly face Rock at Wrestlemania, which would be really good on Punk. But I think Punk got this one in the bag.

As for Cena's comments, I think he was outsmarting Punk, really. He knows Punk has beaten him before, but he knows how big of an ego Punk has developed. It's almost like the kid in school tricking you into a contest by insulting your ego & whatnot in front of the class. He knew that if he didn't tell Punk he was the best, and said Punk had to beat him to prove he is the best in front of a live crowd, Punk would still go for the match to show the people that were witness to the disrespect Cena gave Punk that he is indeed the best in the world, and deserves the title.

Personally, I think a good way to end the PPV would be Punk standing tall in Cena's home town after winning, and pretty much force Cena to call him "the best in the world" in front of his own home town, friends, and family. The ultimate humiliation.

.... but how do they figure CM Punk has been in the backseat? With the exception of Wrestlemania, he's been the headliner.

Actually, he hasn't. Traditionally, world title matches headline a PPV, but when Cena isn't the champion, they sometimes don't. No matter what Punk does, John Cena is head and shoulders above everyone else in the company in terms of influence. The amount of time people on this forum spend trying to convince us otherwise (Cena sux! He's going to loose to Punk. Theirs nobody better than Punk!) is an amusing waste of time. Punk had that one terrific period last Summer, followed by a year of trying to convince us he should be higher on the totem pole than Cena. Listening to Punk, one might think this routine is half-kayfabe, half-real. Who really knows? But no one in WWE matches Cena....no one.

What makes this title defense so substantial?

That's simpler to figure. Think of the ringside announcers telling us the PPV that's about to happen is the biggest thing ever in WWE. You wouldn't think this kind of hype would work with the PPV-buying public, but it probably does. (Shit, Marie! We gotta buy this one. Jerry Lawler says it's gonna be the biggest main event ever. Shit!)

In a storyline sense, isn't this the first one-on-one title match between the two since last Summer? I can remember Cena beating Punk in a non-title match on Raw, and we all remember the three-way stuff, but despite the OP saying Punk has beaten Cena several times, I think the company has kept these two apart in terms of head-to-head title matches, no?

At any rate, they were both faces until recently. Now, they're going at it in true good guy vs bad guy fashion, and that makes this one unique.

Punk has been Champion since Survivor Series, he's only been in the main event (defined here in the strictest sense as the closing match) once

November, Survivor Series - John Cena and The Rock vs The Miz and R-Truth

December, TLC - CM Punk vs Alberto Del Rio vs The Miz

January, Royal Rumble - Royal Rumble Match (no complaints about this)

February, Elimination Chamber - John Cena vs Kane

April, Wrestlemania - John Cena vs The Rock

April, Extreme Rules - John Cena vs Brock Lesnar

May, Over the Limit - John Cena vs John Laurinitis

June, No Way Out - John Cena vs Big Show

July, Money in the Bank - WWE Championship Money in the Bank match: John Cena vs Chris Jericho vs Kane vs Big Show vs The Miz

August, Summerslam - HHH vs Brock Lesnar

Now let's be fair, Royal Rumble doesn't count. TLC is Punk's only main event and what was special about TLC? It was the first PPV in a long time to have John Cena off the card completely. In other words, John Cena is bigger than the title and this Cena vs Punk feud needs to happen. It is a win win scenario for the WWE.

How we get to the end of the feud doesn't matter. What matters is the ending, the only way that I can see for anyone to reach Cena's level is for them to beat him cleanly in the middle of the ring. The only guy in my opinion who is close to that level is Punk.

The feud can run for months, it can run until Wrestlemania, BUT it most likely has to end with Punk pinning Cena cleanly. WWE needs a back up for Cena, if he ever leaves or is forced to retire right now they're screwed. They need a Rock, a Randy Savage, they need a guy who is not quite there but is close enough to be able to be "the guy" if he's needed. The way I see it, that man is CM Punk.

Look, Im from Boston, and Im probably going to NOC. And, Ive been to plenty of Raw's, Smackdowns, and Ive noticed that Cena still gets booed. Im not a Cena fan, but Ive always found it kind of weird how fans can turn thier back on him. Now, personally, just about done with this Cena/Punk fued. I think it is about time for Cena to take a step back and let the younger talent get a shot. I,d much rather see Daniel Bryan as our Champion, than Cena. And on top of that, the new WWE belt should debut after the match, and why would Cena get rid of his own Model title? Its just not believable. And really, Cena as champion is the same every year. Everything is expected. Unless, he took a heel turn, which is impossable.

My point is, I cant see, nor do I want Cena to walk out as Champion.

Cena's statement coupled with Pun's complaints about not being "respected" sets up things perfectly for a fully blown heel turn for Punk. Basically, when you think about it, Cena has all but come out and said that Punk's victories over him at MITB & SummerSlam last year mean nothing, which only adds more fuel to Punk's fire as to how he's been disrespected. There are some holes in Cena's logic, and Lawler's when you think on it. But, wrestling is about right vs. wrong, usually in a black & white setting. A clear cut good vs. bad aspect has been the bread and butter of pro wrestling since forever. From an more open minded point of view, CM Punk has a point. Even though he's WWE Champion, a spot in which said champion is usually the center of things traditionally, that hasn't been the case for Punk. Cena's comments about Punk having to earn respect, also from a more open minded point of view, lacks conviction when you take into account the fact that Punk has successfully defended his title against all comers in some of the best matches of any wrestling company of the year.

The fact that WWE hasn't had CM Punk usually close shows throughout the entire length of his run as WWE Champion might, just MIGHT, be something that's been planned all along. Probably not, but it's possible as it just seems to conveniently fit in so perfectly with where they seem to be going with this. Remember, Punk says the most focus should be on the WWE Champion but, in all honesty, one could argue that it's been on John Cena for the simple fact that Cena has almost always been the one to close the shows.

I might be wrong but, as I said, I think it's highly unlikely that Punk will lose at Night of Champions. On October 9th, unless plans of have changed, the WWE is going to release CM Punk's first DVD compilation. Taking the title off of Punk before that happens could cause Punk to lose momentum, thereby leading to lackluster sales for his first ever DVD release. There's also a solid possibility that Punk won't be dropping the title to Cena during the course of their current feud. Remember, The Rock has a shot at the title at the Royal Rumble. The last time we saw The Rock, CM Punk laid him out with the GTS, thereby possibly setting up something between them. After all, we've already seen Cena vs. Rock. Plus, Vince is allegedly pushing for a Cena vs. Rock rematch at WM, which would probably be for the WWE Championship. In order for that rematch to happen and to have anything approaching the same level of intrigue of their first match, the match will have to be for the title. If things go smoothly the way Vince is hoping, Punk will probably drop the title to The Rock at the Royal Rumble and Cena will have his chance at redemption come WM by not only beating Rock but beating him for the WWE Championship.

However, it could all be up in the air at this point because there's no guarantee that The Rock will be able to compete at WM. The new G.I. Joe flick debuts one week before WM, which means The Rock will be all over the place helping to promote the movie for both domestic & international release.

If it turns out that The Rock can't compete at WM, then I honestly think there could be a chance of Punk beating him at the Royal Rumble before probably going onto face John Cena in another title match at WM. If that's the scenario that goes down, Punk will have tons of momentum after having bested Cena in late 2012 but also doing what Cena couldn't do: beat The Rock. As a result, if it is Punk vs. Cena at WM 29, I honestly think it'll wind up being some sort of specialty match, like maybe an Iron Man Match.

I couldn't agree more with you. I have enjoyed CM Punk's current run with the belt. He has had it since November Survivor Series. A 9 month reign the longest since John Cena had his Title reign that lasted it a little over a year 6 years ago. Cena doesn't need the belt bc he has been champ 12 times so what is another reign going to mean to him. What else is left for Cena to accomplish in WWE except beat the Rock and beat Undertaker to end his streak at Wrestlemania. WWE may surprise you and have Punk keep the belt until Rumble to face The Rock. Something different. Guys do lose in there hometown Cena lost to WWE Champ at the time Edge at Summerslam 6 years ago in his hometown but won the belt from him a month later in Edge's home town. I hope Punk retains the belt even if he cheats.

Apparently Cena is pissed off with the WWE because he wants a change in his character and they won't give it to him. That's why he left the ring earlier than he should of this week. Trips is pissed with him for doing so, but Cena feels that he is deserving of a character change since he works so hard.

I honestly hope that Cena gets what he wants. the fans are clearing getting bored of his character and frankly, so is he. THUMBS UP FOR A NEW CENA! :) (HOPEFULLY HEEL!)

Someone call the village and tell them their idiot's missing.

Who HAS beaten Cena cleanly in the last year and a half?
In the last 4 years?

Batista, HHH, JBL, and Orton all have.

Besides, tell me how many times Hogan and Austin lost clean. Top faces rarely lose clean. I still don't get the obsession you people have with clean losses. Heels cheat to win. No one wants to see a heel go over a face clean.

Cena= Biggest pant-load EVER.
Won't lose cleanly to anyone (Don't even say Rock because holy crap we all know where this nonsense with the Rock is going)

Look at my above statement.

Last time I really remember Cena being beaten cleanly was Batista in 2008? maybe an occasional fluke CLEAN win here and there but nothing really that speaks out in masses. Even his loss to CM Punk at MiTB was tainted because of Vince & Johnny Ace.

Bad memory equals terrible post. A equation that stands the test of time.

Punk needing to beat Cena for his title reign to mean anything is garbage. Watch- Even in Cena's hometown/state he won't get as loud an ovation as CM Punk does.

Cena's the top guy. Punk hasn't defeated Cena in his current title reign. I think you know where I'm going with this.

Cena needed to cut a good promo,he did so.Doesn't matter if it was true or not.On topic,cena did have some good point.Punk hasn't CLOSED any PPV or RAW's since maybe TLC.Yes the feuds against jericho and bryan were great but they NEVER closed shows.But to say that punk needs to beat him at NOC isn't right completely.A win is a win.Doesn't matter how it comes.In a year Cena has beaten punk once thanks to nash's interference.So they are pretty even on that.But in the end it was cena's best promo since ER.

I for one Cena was wrong in what he said. Basically he discredited Punks Reign as champion. I really dont get where he comes off as the high and mighty. I like Cena i do but hes wrong in this case.

In order for Punk to be credible as champion he has to beat Cena at NOC? I think Punks reign has been memorable true he hasnt beaten Cena cleanly yet but i think he will. But this program with Lawler coming up will not make the case for Best in the World. Punk has been champion for what 10 months now? I really dont knwo what it takes for him to be considered Best in the World. A win over Cena at noc yes i think he will beat him will only prove the fact that he is the Best in the World.

From what I have seen Cena has been the ahole heel who thinks he's the savior of the wwe. Punk turned face when he drilled the Rock few weeks ago according to most of IWC.Noticed how Jerry bumped into Punk I bet next week Punk will say that was disrespectful but Vince will have him do it in a whiny way

I'm seeing a lot of people saying Punk hasn't beaten Cena cleanly. That may be true but creative should be taking the blame for this not Punk. Last time i recall Cena losing cleanly was against Triple H and Batista. Other than those two, every other person has either used interference or some weapon to beat Cena and that's totally because of his current Superman gimmick.

If Punk is able to go over Cena cleanly at Night of Champions he will be set as one of the top guys in WWE which I think it is lacking these days. Ever since Punk won the title he has always taken a backseat to Cena's horrible main events (vs Laurinitis, Big Show, MITB [Seriously? Why did he win this? This could have been used to put another guy over] enough Cena ranting lol ) The only PPV he main evented were TLC 2011 (Cena wasn't on the card)

This goes on to say that Punk needs to go over Cena especially in Cena's hometown. This will get Punk where he needs to be plus he can get more heat that way.

I just had to pick this out..

Honestly, a headliner is someone who main events a ppv, the last time Punk did that was in fact TLC, about 8 months ago? and.. and.. and... Cena wasn't on that card.. Royal Rumble match more or less always closes that ppv, At EC he went on first, Cena closed the show in his ambulance match. At WM he went on 2nd to last, which is not bad. Again couldn't close the show at Extreme Rules losing that spot to the returning Lesnar and Cena! His match at OTL with DBryan again never closed the show, instead is was Ace and Cena, but with the stipulation in that match, why not? Another Cena stipulation match cost Punk another main event at No Way Out.. Then another Cena victory closed the show at MitB ppv even though Punk/Bryan put on a clinic.. Now SummerSlam I am actually surprised, most of us thought that The WWE Championship bout would close the show having Cena in the match as well, but shockingly, this time he had to settle for 2nd to last this time to Brock/HHH match..

So, only VKM knows why Punk hasn't been closing the shows even though he is still WWE champion.. Also, Punk is considered by millions as the best wrestler in the world, just 90% of the IWC.

To finish off, I think it's safe to say Punk will be closing the show at Night of Champions with Cena.. Let's hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back