How WWE should use AJ Styles going forward?

I am trying to remember when was the last time Cena lost a feud so desicively. The truth is, I can't. He won his feud against Owens in 2015. He then beat Rollins like 3 times, he came back and I think looked strong against Del Rio in his return in January. Things between him and Lesnar never really settled, as Cena came back and almost beat Lesnar at NoC 2014. He tied with The Rock. He kinda lost against Punk in 2012 but not clean. In fact, Punk has never beaten Cena clean, without some short of stupid thing going on around. He didn't lose any feuds from 2005-2010 that's for sure, at least without him actually dying in order to lose (see Last Man Standing against Edge, 2009).

Other than his clean loses against The Rock in 2012, Batista in 2008, Bryan in 2013, Owens in 2015, Lesnar in 2014, Triple H in 2008, Michaels in 2007, this was the first time, Cena lost two back to back matches against the same wrestler, with one loss also being clean.

That wrestler of course is, AJ Styles. (Go back in 2010 and tell me that in 6 years Styles was gonna over Cena 2-0. HA!)

Right now, in my eyes, AJ Styles is WWE's hottest commodity. That thing that AJ is carrying on his arm? Cena's armbar? That's bigger than the title.

So how do you book Styles going forward? How do you use all that momentum that AJ Styles has in order to gain something?

Styles is 39 years old. He's definately not the future of the company. He's the present. Whatever he's gonna do, he's gonna do it in the course of the next two years.

So, I say, give him the Brock Lesnar treatment.

No, I don't mean have him squash wrestlers. I mean that you book AJ Styles strong. Make him this unbeatable wrestler, that can outwrestle any guy on the roster. You build him up like that, give him victories. Make him the WWE champ.
Give him a victory at Wrestlemania 33. Have him retain. Build all of this, up until Wrestlemania 34 (or Summerslam 2017, it doesn't matter). Who is gonna beat AJ Styles?
And then, have your future of the company, a guy that will carry the company beat Styles for the title. And BAM, you just made a top star into a future attraction.

You build up Styles and Lesnar like that. Those guys won't be here in 10 years. Build them up now. They have all the tools to carry the company for 2017. And the moment those two lose, is the moment you create two MEGA stars.

That's my take on the story. Styles wearing that armband reminds me a lot of the 21-1 promos of Heyman. I think it's the same story. Lesnar and Styles will be red hot for 2017 and the rest of 2016. Use that and create your two top future stars.

That's my two cents.

That's an awesome way to book him but I doubt that it will happens. I think they might give him the title either at backlash on sunday or at no mercy in october, then after a feud with ambrose over the, he might go into a series of match with orton until cena comes back and gets a title match at wrestlemania we're cena finally get his 16th world title which they have been teasing for the last 2 years. Then I don't know where they go from there.

If you make AJ Styles the unbeatable wrestler that you want, you might as well just turn him babyface and simply make him bland. He's putting some of his best work right now, there's no denying that, but make him carry the company is an all different level.

I think that the next logical step for his career is to carry the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. It doesn't need to be at Backlash if they are also serious about Dean Ambrose's push, but if they want their hottest act hold their biggest title, I won't be mad about it.

I also think that his feud against John Cena is far from over. They had two matches with Styles getting the best of him, but it's not in Cena's gimmick to just "give up". He'll return and hopefully will challenge him for the WWE World Championship. I don't know if he's the right guy to do it, but I wouldn't be mad about it in a gimmick match to settle the feud at Survivor Series or TLC.

Right now AJ Styles is the best booked wrestler in the whole roster. He debuted at Royal Rumble in a strong showing. He had one of the best matches at this year's WrestleMania against Chris Jericho. He challenged Roman Reigns in two great matches and really brought it and was made to look like a champion. He turned heel and feuded with Cena. In the process he just had one of the best SummerSlam matches of all time and beat the #1 guy. He has been given time to show his strengths, which is wrestling, against high profile opponents in high profile shows.

But AJ Styles is in this perfect position where he can out-wrestle anyone for sure, but if he loses you won't be saying: "yeah, the guy that beat him is a freaking star". If WWE wants to build a story around him, I could see him get pinned by Dolph Ziggler again and not lose anything in it. He's just a great worker that can work the midcard and the uppercard and be one of the best parts of a show. In 9 months and years of wrestling career he's reached the Shawn Michael's status. It's good that he's being pushed right now, because come 2017 he's gonna be the guy that will help the next stars get bigger so to speak. He'll help Finn Balor and the Sami Zayns. He'll help Baron Corbin or Apollo Crews and still be relevant, which to me, means that he made it in WWE.

To sum up - AJ Styles is going to win the world title. He's going to defend it against Dean Ambrose, Randy Orton and John Cena. He'll lose it afterwards against who they think is viable. I don't know, probably Bray Wyatt who seriously needs the push and the matches (this could very well be after WrestleMania, but I hope not). Then he'll be back to the uppercards wrestling someone who needs the rub, like a fresh debuting Samoa Joe. If he gets drafted, he'll have Finn Balor, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens and it will all be fresh matches that don't need the title in it.

He'll be fine, but he's not gonna be the very best. They won't certainly feed him Brock Lesnar.

AJ Styles is one of the top reasons why I'm watching WWE right now. He's most definitely my current favourite wrestler in the WWE. I also love how he wears John Cena's armband like a trophy. Everything he's doing right now is great and entertaining. I do think it's a good idea to book him strong and make him "run circles" around wrestlers AS WWE World Champion. He only needs one really good WWE World title reign where he defends the title successfully against just about all the top guys on the Smackdown roster. That would be awesome. I don't know what they're planning on doing with him going forward. He might eventually become a face again as a result of his new storylines, because he can just continue proving people wrong as part of this new stride of his. It might even be cool if he starts taking merchandise/equipment/nicknames from every top wrestler he beats in a feud or match. It might even be cool if he wins the WWE World title and faces Shinsuke Nakamura in a Champion vs Champion match. There is so much potential.

I am trying to remember when was the last time Cena lost a feud so desicively. The truth is, I can't. He won his feud against Owens in 2015. He then beat Rollins like 3 times, he came back and I think looked strong against Del Rio in his return in January. Things between him and Lesnar never really settled, as Cena came back and almost beat Lesnar at NoC 2014. He tied with The Rock. He kinda lost against Punk in 2012 but not clean. In fact, Punk has never beaten Cena clean, without some short of stupid thing going on around. He didn't lose any feuds from 2005-2010 that's for sure, at least without him actually dying in order to lose (see Last Man Standing against Edge, 2009).

For the record, CM Punk beat Cena clean at both Money in the Bank (which is a 5-star classic) and Summerslam 2011. As a matter of fact, when Cena beat Punk on RAW in 2013 it was the first time Cena had ever defeated Punk in a singles match, Punk has had Cena's number for years.

Small and unrelated but I definitely wanted to correct that statement. As for AJ Styles, I actually completely agree with the OP's perspective. IMO AJ Styles is the best wrestler in the world today and has a fanbase that is actually increasing due to unprecedented exposure to the WWE Universe. I think it's important to maximize his status during these years and give him a HOF resume so that he can be enshrined with the rest of peers when he finally hangs up the boots. Right now he's talking the talk and at Summerslam he walked the walk so let that continue until it's time to put over the next big thing (no pun intended).

Will his career actually play out that way? That remains to be seen. If it does, AJ would be one of the few main event guys to come into WWE and actually get treated for their worth. We all know how Vince prefers homegrown guys over imports, but hopefully AJ can help finally break that mold. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this all works out.

I completely agree.

Brilliant idea.

That way, whoever that finally beats AJ Styles (could be Seth Rollins or someone fresh from NXT other than Samoa Joe or Austin Aries or Bobby Roode who're all in their mid to late 30s I assume, of course) would instantly get that rub. Not that Seth Rollins needs it, but still.

On the other hand, I don't mind Styles being the new "John Cena" without the atrocious corny babyface stuff, with 100 times better in-ring skills, as in, be invincible/untouchable/main star of his brand for YEARS to come, until at least he's 44. At least he won't be wrestling in his 50s and 60s.

I kinda think that WWE should strike while the iron is hot on and make Styles win the WWE Title at either Backlash or No Mercy and then I would have to agree with what others have said Styles(c) V Cena at Wrestlemania with Cena getting his 16th title reign. Cena's gonna equal and break Flair's record so you might as well make it as big as possible at do it at Mania!

Give AJ the title, next year Finn Balor beats him.

With the history between the two of them, it write's itself.

Although, it could be along the very similar story of KO and Sami Zayn

To me, Ambrose has been a flop as a babyface champ. I think he would best be used a a heel. Ambrose's best work in FCW/NXT was when he was cutting those heel promos against Regal. I also think Ziggler is best as a heel. Orton is best as Heel. Who does that leave to be a face on Smackdown's roster? Nobody, except for a character babyface in the form of Bray Wyatt.

So, here's what I'd do with my man AJ Styles. Have him beat Ambrose on Sunday at Backlash. The rematch goes through the next pay-per-view. After that, it's on to Orton. At Hell in the Cell, it's AJ over Orton. At Survivor Series, let AJ have a traditional Survivor Series Match with Orton on the other side. Orton gets the victory over Styles, but AJ retains. At TLC, it's a Ladder Match for the Title. AJ goes over. Now we're looking at 6 months of AJ as a champ. On the first Smackdown Live of the New Year, AJ Comes out to cut his promo when the arena goes dark, you hear the music, the crowd goes nuts, the camera pans to the entrance...SHINSUKE NAKAMURA...

I think Nakamura would be a great new face on Smackdown. At Royal Rumble, Nakamura goes over AJ Styles. Wins the title. At Fastlane or whatever it's called now, Nakamura whens match 2. You can now bring back John Cena to feud with AJ at Wrestlemania or Have Round 3 of Nakamura/Styles. Personally, I'd have Nakamura now pitted against a heel Ambrose who turned at the Rumble.

I think Styles has exceeded expectations since arriving. He's absolutely a better all round wrestler since his TNA days, especially charisma wise and on the mic. And his wrestling ability was never in doubt.

They appeared to be dropping the ball with him after the Reigns feud, but they've got right behind him since the brand split and he looks in he's looking terrific.

In terms of his booking direction, I think it's clear they want him in the main event (or upper midcard), whether that's with the title or not. It's very hard to predict Sunday's outcome - I don't think creative want to kill either guys momentum so I don't see a clean finish - perhaps we'll have non-finish. The feud hasn't really had time to gather heat yet imo. I'd switch the title to Styles at some point though and then have Dean chase for a while - a role which he's better in.

I don't see them having him win clean over too many top babyfaces though - that's not the blueprint for booking on the whole and should only be done occasionally to get people over. He's not Brock Lesnar or Mark Henry - he'll end up having to resort to heel tactics at some point, unless they turn him face. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

For the record, CM Punk beat Cena clean at both Money in the Bank (which is a 5-star classic) and Summerslam 2011. As a matter of fact, when Cena beat Punk on RAW in 2013 it was the first time Cena had ever defeated Punk in a singles match, Punk has had Cena's number for years.

Small and unrelated but I definitely wanted to correct that statement. As for AJ Styles, I actually completely agree with the OP's perspective. IMO AJ Styles is the best wrestler in the world today and has a fanbase that is actually increasing due to unprecedented exposure to the WWE Universe. I think it's important to maximize his status during these years and give him a HOF resume so that he can be enshrined with the rest of peers when he finally hangs up the boots. Right now he's talking the talk and at Summerslam he walked the walk so let that continue until it's time to put over the next big thing (no pun intended).

Will his career actually play out that way? That remains to be seen. If it does, AJ would be one of the few main event guys to come into WWE and actually get treated for their worth. We all know how Vince prefers homegrown guys over imports, but hopefully AJ can help finally break that mold. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this all works out.

No he didn't. Punk used the Vince McMahon distraction at MITB and Cena's foot was under the rope at Summerslam.. I remember those like it was yesterday.

Other than his clean loses against The Rock in 2012, Batista in 2008, Bryan in 2013, Owens in 2015, Lesnar in 2014, Triple H in 2008, Michaels in 2007, this was the first time, Cena lost two back to back matches against the same wrestler, with one loss also being clean.

That wrestler of course is, AJ Styles. (Go back in 2010 and tell me that in 6 years Styles was gonna over Cena 2-0. HA!)

Right now, in my eyes, AJ Styles is WWE's hottest commodity. That thing that AJ is carrying on his arm? Cena's armbar? That's bigger than the title.

So how do you book Styles going forward? How do you use all that momentum that AJ Styles has in order to gain something?

Styles is 39 years old. He's definately not the future of the company. He's the present. Whatever he's gonna do, he's gonna do it in the course of the next two years.

So, I say, give him the Brock Lesnar treatment.

No, I don't mean have him squash wrestlers. I mean that you book AJ Styles strong. Make him this unbeatable wrestler, that can outwrestle any guy on the roster. You build him up like that, give him victories. Make him the WWE champ.
Give him a victory at Wrestlemania 33. Have him retain. Build all of this, up until Wrestlemania 34 (or Summerslam 2017, it doesn't matter). Who is gonna beat AJ Styles?
And then, have your future of the company, a guy that will carry the company beat Styles for the title. And BAM, you just made a top star into a future attraction.

You build up Styles and Lesnar like that. Those guys won't be here in 10 years. Build them up now. They have all the tools to carry the company for 2017. And the moment those two lose, is the moment you create two MEGA stars.

That's my take on the story. Styles wearing that armband reminds me a lot of the 21-1 promos of Heyman. I think it's the same story. Lesnar and Styles will be red hot for 2017 and the rest of 2016. Use that and create your two top future stars.

That's my two cents.

I like the idea but there's a problem. There's a lack of legit main eventers on SDL so I don't think him as champ could work long term.

His reign would end up like Miz, where he's just facing anybody (Crews, Young) just to defend his title.

Fans don't seem to like "super" champions anyways so at some point he'll lose. WrestleMania would be ideal to start the new season or maybe the PPV after the draft where some new faces either join the roster or get traded from RAW.

As of right now, I could see him feuding with Dean for the rest of the year. Then, face Cena again. I guess he'd get Orton at WrestleMania but after that, there's nobody really left for him to beat. Maybe him and Miz could have a title vs title match which could be a big deal since they're both booked strong over the past few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back