How to make NXT watchable again (Season 6)

NotoriousWWE

Pre-Show Stalwart
So we are know in Season 5 of NXT in what is known as NXT Redemption. I think i'm right in saying that this is by far the worst wrestling show right now in the WWE with the apparent meaning of NXT going out the window after the last 3 NXT winners were never granted their title matches. So right now we are stuck with Titus O'Neill apparently being helped out by his buddy, former NXT rookie Percy Watson to challenge Derrick Bateman for the NXT win alongside his soon to be wife, Maxine. (Yes I just quickly searched recent results of NXT). Sounds great doesn't it? No, not really and so WWE if you want to make this show exciting again like Season 1 was, maybe follow these tips.

Get the show back on US TV

I'm from the UK and NXT airs every Friday Night after SmackDown on Sky Sports 3 although I'm pretty sure nobody watches it. But of course being part of the WrestleZone forums and therefore regulary checking up on recent news within WWE I came to learn that NXT was taken off of its TV home, SyFy. Now, If WWE want to make this show watchable again, they'll need to get it off that stupid NXT Site and put it on actual TV. And yes ok, It will cost them but the casual fan will help it get started by tuning in just to see Raw recaps with the likes of Cena appearing.

Use actual thought in choosing Pro's and Rookies

We were all astonished when we saw that NXT rookie Kaval's pro's were LayCool (Michelle McCool and Layla). Not only was this extremely cringeful but it left me scratching my head as to why WWE would be so un-inspiring with their choices. Have pro's tutor rookies that they have histories with, have chemistry with and even are a lot like (Possibly share the same gimmicks). Here would be my 7 rookies and pro's:

Rookie: Seth Rollins
Pro: CM Punk
Reason: Both have history as they were part of Indy Promotion, ROH together. Have great movesets and share the same sort of outlooks on Wrestling. Would have so much chemistry and would possibly be favorites to win.

Rookie: Richie Steamboat
Pro: Tyson Kidd
Reason: WWE like putting a heel and a face together and see if they either merge or disband. These two would be interesting as they both have similar wrestling backgrounds of course Kidd was trained in the historic Hart Dungeon whilst Steamboat is of course the son of Ricky ' The Dragon ' Steamboat. Can they co-exist?

Rookie: Antonio Cesaro
Pro: Christian
Reason: Ok, for those who are unfamilar with Cesaro he is best known for his time in ROH as Claudio Castagnoli. Part of The Kings of Wrestling tag team he was a big part of ROH becoming more popular. From a Swiss background could blend in compatibility with Christian but would Christian's consistent moaning get in the way of Cesaro's chances?

Rookie: Leo Kruger
Pro: Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins
Reason: The massive Leo Kruger is a lot similar to Reks. Current FCW Champion has the look and the power of a champion. Give him Reks as his pro and there are instant similarities and in the meanwhile throw in Reks' current tag partner Hawkins to teach him some needed attitude.

Rookie: Dean Ambrose
Pro: Daniel Bryan
Reason: This is perfect. Ambrose is extremely entertaining and would be my favourite pro. Recently took on Punk (Yes CM Punk) at FCW in what was an incredible match. Would excel next to Bryan who is perhaps the best technical Wrestler in the world. Both have similar indy backgrounds.

Rookie: DT Porter
Pro: The Uso's
Reason: Porter is a very unique character in the ring. With a casual attire he stands out in a strange way. His in-ring ability needs improvements but putting him as The Uso's rookie would be interesting. It would probably end with a feud between Porter and Kruger but we'd be interested for once.

Rookie: Derrick Bateman
Pro: Cody Rhodes
Reason: Rhodes was Husky Harris' pro on NXT season 2 in what was a perfect mixture of talent. Now, Rhodes is disfigured whilst Bateman is sort of taking Rhodes' dashing gimmick along with Maxine as his valet. I hear the winner of Season 5 gets a place on Season 6. Well Bateman has more talent than O'Neill so i'd rather see him and Rhodes exchange odd promo's.

Use Star Power

I know there is constant talk of wrestlers always having to be on the road and etc. But what's the harm in a few taking time to help out the young talent? If you want viewers, you use guys that actually interest the public such as Punk, Rhodes and Christian. The last time I can actually re-call being excited to watch NXT was when Punk was doing commentary in what was my all-time favourite episode of NXT. Use your star's to gain ratings not guys like JTG and Percy Watson who for me still need pro's.

Give the show a new look and theme

You have apparently a host in Matt Striker who serves basically as the GM every single night. Why not mix it up by having someone else handling business? Someone like Dusty Rhodes who does commentary at FCW would be perfect. No silly or extravagant activities like musical chairs or ring circuit, actual wrestling training by the pro's for the rookies. Imagine seeing Punk helping Rollins with his mic skills or Christian showing Cesaro how to oversell a certain move. Also change the look from a Leapord's skin theme. Its just not doing it for me. It looks to childish, go for a dark black with Gold graphics. Maybe even change the show's theme song from that stupid whiny Wild and Young. Heart of a Champion anybody?

Finally, don't give up

If you have an idea, never give up on it. I know that sounds cheesy but NXT was a fresh and appealing new idea that turned into a place for unwanted talent. Put guys who want to be there on there and expose them to us.

I stopped watching NXT around the time that...it went off the air(?)...I don't remember. But it was a long time ago.

Ehm, to be honest, I'd prefer it if WWE scratched the NXT idea altogether and just let it die already. I mean, it was cool when it premiered back in 2010, but as time went by, some of the episodes just got to be extremely silly. Not to mention that there was no purpose in having an actual winner--the main focus of the show--seeing as how most, if not the entire list of rookies would end up on the main show anyways. I mean, look at NEXUS. And then from season 2, about 5 or 6 of the eight rookies still ended up on the main shows somehow. And look at the 3rd Season with the Divas. I could of sworn I saw Oksana and AJ the other day.

And funnily enough, out of all of the rookies that made it to the main roster, only about 2 or 3 of them can even remotely be considered relevant. Most of them have turned out to either be jobbers or fillers for when WWE has nothing else to fill the designated time slot with.

My point being, NXT is such a half-assed, no reason to be alive show that WWE could do without. Why not focus on something more important, or at least do something that people will actually care about? I'm trully baffled as to why WWE still has NXT. But I guess it has something to do with...well, I don't know... But I do know, it's a waste of time.

So we are know in Season 5 of NXT in what is known as NXT Redemption. I think i'm right in saying that this is by far the worst wrestling show right now in the WWE with the apparent meaning of NXT going out the window after the last 3 NXT winners were never granted their title matches. So right now we are stuck with Titus O'Neill apparently being helped out by his buddy, former NXT rookie Percy Watson to challenge Derrick Bateman for the NXT win alongside his soon to be wife, Maxine. (Yes I just quickly searched recent results of NXT). Sounds great doesn't it? No, not really and so WWE if you want to make this show exciting again like Season 1 was, maybe follow these tips.

Get the show back on US TV

I'm from the UK and NXT airs every Friday Night after SmackDown on Sky Sports 3 although I'm pretty sure nobody watches it. But of course being part of the WrestleZone forums and therefore regulary checking up on recent news within WWE I came to learn that NXT was taken off of its TV home, SyFy. Now, If WWE want to make this show watchable again, they'll need to get it off that stupid NXT Site and put it on actual TV. And yes ok, It will cost them but the casual fan will help it get started by tuning in just to see Raw recaps with the likes of Cena appearing.

Use actual thought in choosing Pro's and Rookies

We were all astonished when we saw that NXT rookie Kaval's pro's were LayCool (Michelle McCool and Layla). Not only was this extremely cringeful but it left me scratching my head as to why WWE would be so un-inspiring with their choices. Have pro's tutor rookies that they have histories with, have chemistry with and even are a lot like (Possibly share the same gimmicks). Here would be my 7 rookies and pro's:

Rookie: Seth Rollins
Pro: CM Punk
Reason: Both have history as they were part of Indy Promotion, ROH together. Have great movesets and share the same sort of outlooks on Wrestling. Would have so much chemistry and would possibly be favorites to win.

Rookie: Richie Steamboat
Pro: Tyson Kidd
Reason: WWE like putting a heel and a face together and see if they either merge or disband. These two would be interesting as they both have similar wrestling backgrounds of course Kidd was trained in the historic Hart Dungeon whilst Steamboat is of course the son of Ricky ' The Dragon ' Steamboat. Can they co-exist?

Rookie: Antonio Cesaro
Pro: Christian
Reason: Ok, for those who are unfamilar with Cesaro he is best known for his time in ROH as Claudio Castagnoli. Part of The Kings of Wrestling tag team he was a big part of ROH becoming more popular. From a Swiss background could blend in compatibility with Christian but would Christian's consistent moaning get in the way of Cesaro's chances?

Rookie: Leo Kruger
Pro: Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins
Reason: The massive Leo Kruger is a lot similar to Reks. Current FCW Champion has the look and the power of a champion. Give him Reks as his pro and there are instant similarities and in the meanwhile throw in Reks' current tag partner Hawkins to teach him some needed attitude.

Rookie: Dean Ambrose
Pro: Daniel Bryan
Reason: This is perfect. Ambrose is extremely entertaining and would be my favourite pro. Recently took on Punk (Yes CM Punk) at FCW in what was an incredible match. Would excel next to Bryan who is perhaps the best technical Wrestler in the world. Both have similar indy backgrounds.

Rookie: DT Porter
Pro: The Uso's
Reason: Porter is a very unique character in the ring. With a casual attire he stands out in a strange way. His in-ring ability needs improvements but putting him as The Uso's rookie would be interesting. It would probably end with a feud between Porter and Kruger but we'd be interested for once.

Rookie: Derrick Bateman
Pro: Cody Rhodes
Reason: Rhodes was Husky Harris' pro on NXT season 2 in what was a perfect mixture of talent. Now, Rhodes is disfigured whilst Bateman is sort of taking Rhodes' dashing gimmick along with Maxine as his valet. I hear the winner of Season 5 gets a place on Season 6. Well Bateman has more talent than O'Neill so i'd rather see him and Rhodes exchange odd promo's.

Use Star Power

I know there is constant talk of wrestlers always having to be on the road and etc. But what's the harm in a few taking time to help out the young talent? If you want viewers, you use guys that actually interest the public such as Punk, Rhodes and Christian. The last time I can actually re-call being excited to watch NXT was when Punk was doing commentary in what was my all-time favourite episode of NXT. Use your star's to gain ratings not guys like JTG and Percy Watson who for me still need pro's.

Give the show a new look and theme

You have apparently a host in Matt Striker who serves basically as the GM every single night. Why not mix it up by having someone else handling business? Someone like Dusty Rhodes who does commentary at FCW would be perfect. No silly or extravagant activities like musical chairs or ring circuit, actual wrestling training by the pro's for the rookies. Imagine seeing Punk helping Rollins with his mic skills or Christian showing Cesaro how to oversell a certain move. Also change the look from a Leapord's skin theme. Its just not doing it for me. It looks to childish, go for a dark black with Gold graphics. Maybe even change the show's theme song from that stupid whiny Wild and Young. Heart of a Champion anybody?

Finally, don't give up

If you have an idea, never give up on it. I know that sounds cheesy but NXT was a fresh and appealing new idea that turned into a place for unwanted talent. Put guys who want to be there on there and expose them to us.

This is exactly what this show needs, But they don't need to have the 'Rookies' be eliminated, let them all stay till end, but have some competition, give them al contracts, but let the winner have a championship match.
This will let all those talented guys be on Raw or Smackdown, but not have championship matches, so the point of the show will be, get that title match.

I think season one was well done... season 2 was ok...season 3 and onwards went downhill so i dont watch it might check the recap on wwe.com...

If there going to make it into an elimination show they need to make it that way but keep them around in the locker room as judges after......we dont want nxt to be another tough enough...

Hire a celebrity host for the season who knows how to host...backstage interviews...and plan the show right...each wrestler gets there own music immediately and gimic is ready...

I watched the fcw episode where seth rollins had that 30 min match with dean ambrose it was more entertaining and felt like its own company...i noticed they had more legends hyping that show than they had on wwe nxt... Ricky steamboat...dusty rhodes... these are the guys you should have on nxt tv doing weekly comments on which talents improved who there top 3 picks are etc.

Other than that considering that there all no name wrestlers to national tv we cant expect raw, smackdown or even superstars viewership...

I would have a camera crew go with each talent each week capturing footage of them either training, with freiends or utting promos then there intorduced after for matches...keep the ranking system but make the judges who are not pro's for the talents actually judge and have leverage to save talents...

For all I care, they can cancel NXT altogether. In its place, they could bring back either Heat or Velocity. With so many superstars (Alberto Del Rio, Randy Orton, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, etc.) appearing on both Raw and Smackdown, a lot of the undercard guys aren't featured on television and you can only fit so many guys on Superstars each week. Heat and Velocity obviously were not about "finding the next break-out star" so they wouldn't have to adhere to such a format. Of course, WWE doesn't feel the need to explain things such as "Why is Percy Watson wrestling on this season of NXT?" and "Why are Titus O' Neil and Percy Watson wrestling on Superstars when they haven't (in kayfabe) been offered contracts?"

Idk if people will ever be able to gain the least bit of interest back in it. But if they do, it could be because the rookie/pro pairings. You got some pretty good ones up there that does make alot of sense though!!

Wait, NXT Redemption is still going. How many years ago did it start. Week 101? Fucking hell. I loved the original idea of NXT, get young guys on TV and build them up. The best will win and go on to big things in WWE. NXT season 1 was the best because everyone of those guys has made a name for themselves in WWE.
- Daniel Bryan. He is a former United States Champion and held it for about 160 days, so a very good reign. He also won the Money in the Bank (SmackDown) this year also. He had a great feud with The Miz and partially John Morrison in his early WWE career. He is very good in the ring and quite popular.
- Wade Barrett. He led the Nexus (everyone from NXT season 1 except Bryan) and was on the road to greatness. Kicked Bryan out, randomly attacked Raw guys, like Evan Bourne, R-Truth, Jerry Lawler, Justin Roberts, Matt Striker etc. Legends like Ricky Steamboat, Arn Anderson and Michael Hayes etc. He also had a great feud with both John Cena and Randy Orton. He eventually left the Nexus and created the Corre. He became Intercontinental Champion and has had feuds with Ezekiel Jackson, Kane, Big Show and Daniel Bryan.
- Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel. 3x WWE Tag Team Champions and members of both the Nexus and the Corre. Have had a descent career thus far, and has since split into singles competition. Gabriel is popular and Slater is suspended.
- David Otunga. Part of the Nexus, new and old, as well as Tag Team Champions with John Cena and Michael McGillicutty. He has recently joined the conspiracy angle.

I can't be bothered to name anyone else. Point being, no one has made a name for themselves in any other season. Except Alex Riley from NXT season 2, that is it. Also, look at the pros in NXT Season 1 and 2. A few:
- Chris Jericho
- The Miz
- CM Punk
- Mark Henry
- Kofi Kingston
- Lay-Cool
Now look at current day ones:
- Tyson Kidd
- Hornswoggle
- Primo
- JTG
- Chavo Guerrero
People want to be interested, so give them interesting people. Hornswoggle as a pro?

I also recommend changing it up. Say next season, have WWE Legends come in as pros to allow current superstars to concerntrate on their own career. Say have Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat, Bret Hart etc. People would enjoy that. Seeing old faces teach the new ones the way. Then have a Tag Team season, with Tag Teams past and present teach the future. You could have Kofi and Evan, The Usos, even Road Warrior Animal. Why not?

All I'm saying is change it up. Give pros that mean something.

Scrap the pros/rookies side of things, and allow NXT to be for guys like Uso's and the newbies to gain some expeirence before moving on to the main rosters, kind of like Superstars, but without the occasional main eventer.

I've never been interested into NXT since it's inception; the only thing to come NXT that has been anything of noteworthy has been the Nexus/Barrett and Daniels, the rest have either been lost in the shuffle or released/injured.

Anyways scrap the pro's/rookies concept and basically allow NXT to be the show every new comer to the main roster must compete for a while to make sure their not green in front of the big crowd and "live/unedited" tv. Use roster members who aren't doing anything and build them up for example build the Uso's up to the point they could contend for the Tag belts and maybe get Vickie involved to scout for new hot prospects to be inducted into her stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back